PDA

View Full Version : New information...sort of

kazuma56
Dec 6, 2005, 04:20 PM
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/673/673509p1.html

Acording to IGN, the ps2 and PC servers ARE linked, so any of you worrying about were your friends will be going need not be.

As for something else that interested me, they said that patches and security updates would be stored via memory card...but didn't ST say the game would have no updates?

On a side note, 4 faces for that race? thats quite small...I guess we will be seeing some face duplicates but the 50 hair types will make up for it.

ANIMEniac
Dec 6, 2005, 04:30 PM
well im not complaining thet they are now gunna have updates ^_^. hopefully it will knock hackers off their high horse a little. second, yea there might only b 4 face types. but u can morph the face like you would to your pody porportions on PSO, like every1 4 a class would have the same body but there were variants, i think the faces will be the same way just a lot more unique with the adition of the porportions scaling.

correct me if i heard rong any1.

PhruitBaskit
Dec 6, 2005, 04:44 PM
Oh yeah, confirmations of linked servers http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif That kicks ass...HUGE online community! I think it'll a lot more fun playing with more people. Linked servers does just that. Plus it makes sure that one system doesn't fall behind the other online.

Tomeeboy
Dec 6, 2005, 04:56 PM
That's pretty big news! The article also confirms the May release date that has been shown on some retailer sites. However, I'm wondering if they received that from an official source, or if they are speculating like the rest of us, based on the dates that online retailers are showing.

PrinceBrightstar
Dec 6, 2005, 05:00 PM
That release date i don't think is true. That's the same date they listed before they put that new thing up. Best bet right now is to stick with what sega.com is saying which is still winter 2006.

Kento
Dec 6, 2005, 05:10 PM
Never the less, I'm a happy fan knowing that the PSU community will be huge just from the start, as lots of people will be able to access it http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Dec 6, 2005, 05:40 PM
This is the conformation that I've been waiting to hear. So this makes me very happy. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif
also, 56 hairstyles!? WOW according to the network of PSU video, they only had 16. I'm thoroughly impressed. And btw, there may be only 4 faces, but there are also 6 eye types, 19 eyebrows, 14 eyelashes, and ears.... so mixing and matching with all those would make a HUGE amount of different faces in the end. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

eXo
Dec 6, 2005, 05:52 PM
Thats great news to hear also i just checked the local EBgames release list for a date on PSU and it was listed as May 7,2006

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: eXo on 2005-12-06 14:53 ]</font>

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Dec 6, 2005, 06:00 PM
Oh! Question.
Seeing as the servers are linked... Would you be able to say... Start on PS2, but log onto the same character and account on your PC or vice versa?

Nash
Dec 6, 2005, 06:06 PM
The SegaLink information for the Japanese version said you could use the same ID for both the PC & PS2 versions, so that does sound like you will be able log-in on either and access you character.

It all depends how they handle it for release in the West though. I think this is the main reason for the delay (if the May date turns out to be correct), as the SegaLink site was already up & running in Japan and used to handle their online games. They have to get a system up and running for the US and European releases.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nash on 2005-12-06 15:09 ]</font>

Uncle_bob
Dec 6, 2005, 06:24 PM
Four faces may sound limited, but keep in mind that we can manipulate the face shape quite a bit.

Kupi
Dec 6, 2005, 08:22 PM
Okay, so some new math: given IGN's "four face types, six eye types, nineteen eye eyebrow types, thirteen eyelash types, two ear types, fifty-six hairstyles" and "five underwear settings" plus the Network of PSU's fifty options for jackets, pants, and shoes (which I assume is actually a minimum, considering how much the hair has been expanded), that's a total of 414,960,000,000 unique combinations BEFORE using the facial slider bar, body proportion slider bar, hair color, skin color, and eye color, for one class. That's up from my 109,440,000,000 calculation for human males, and also, need I remind you, with fewer options assumed for jackets, pants, and shoes that will probably be included.

Well near 415 billion possibilities. Ye Light.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kupi on 2005-12-06 17:28 ]</font>

lostinseganet
Dec 7, 2005, 07:28 AM
Oh man the Ps2 memory card has only 8MB of RAM. Not exactly alot to last thoughout the years.

DarK-SuN
Dec 7, 2005, 02:01 PM
Good choice to have updates get downloaded to the memory card, Monster Hunter, Killzone and some other PS2 games already do this and it works very well.
I guess we'll be mostly seeing new quests and bug fixes for PSU, both PS2 and PC versions.

I'm glad I have a 32mb memory card (Max Memory) as well as an 8mb (official) card, otherwise I wouldn't have enough space for everything.

Note: I plan on getting both versions so that I'm able to play PSU wherever I am.

Niki
Dec 7, 2005, 02:08 PM
Good point about the Max Memory. Is it reliable?

DarK-SuN
Dec 7, 2005, 02:10 PM
I have it for well over a year now and it still didn't fail, I bought it as soon as my 8mb card got filled up (it took me 3 years to fill it up since I wasn't buying many games before).

Other friends of mine have the Max Memory (16mb, 32mb and 64mb variants of it) and it works flawlessly for them as well.

I highly recommend it, it's a great piece of memory storage hardware for your PS2.

Ancient
Dec 7, 2005, 04:23 PM
I still wonder just how long Sega plans to keep this game running fresh. Not just how long it keeps the servers up, but how long they intend to keep releasing fresh content. The PS2 is very near the end of its life cycle, and I'm just assuming that since PSU wont be making use of a harddrive, that 99.9% of the later-released content is already on the disk, like PSO.
That kinda puts a definite experation date on new content, at least for the PS2 version. Granted Sega could make that content last for about 2 years if they're frugal with it. I guess any true expansions that would be released would simply exclude PS2 players. By the time that would happen, the PS2 would be pretty dead anyway.

OdinTyler
Dec 7, 2005, 04:32 PM
1. Its great if the servers are linked. More ppl means a larger community that ST cant afford to ignore & thus, long time support. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

2. Are these larger capacity mem cards Sony or a 3rd party? I learned the hard way NEVER EVER EVER trust a 3rd part mem card. So, if theres greater than 8mb from Sony, I havent seen em. Ideas?

DarK-SuN
Dec 7, 2005, 05:38 PM
Third Party, but trust me, Max Memory memcards are perfectly reliable.

DavidNel
Dec 7, 2005, 06:00 PM
My question is, what if a player deletes a patch or doesn't have enough room for it? Is there a way to get aroud that while trying to get online? This my be a dumb question, but I don't have a PS2.

lostinseganet
Dec 8, 2005, 05:27 AM
On 2005-12-07 11:10, DarK-SuN wrote:
I have it for well over a year now and it still didn't fail, I bought it as soon as my 8mb card got filled up (it took me 3 years to fill it up since I wasn't buying many games before).

Other friends of mine have the Max Memory (16mb, 32mb and 64mb variants of it) and it works flawlessly for them as well.

I highly recommend it, it's a great piece of memory storage hardware for your PS2.

Yes but is it an official brand? I doubt that sega will adjust the patch limitations they set on themselves based on third party hardware. Two slots at 8mb each may be the max PC, and PS2 users ever get.

kazuma56
Dec 9, 2005, 12:17 AM
well since PS3 will be backwards capable, it really won't matter much if PSU doesn't "last" the PS2 lifecycle because many will be able to play it on their ps3's.

As for the patches...I'm assuming that after 4-5 months of problems, ST will release 1 huge patch (maybe near 3 mb like killzones) to fix all the problems that arise...or they could keep a seperate online data for the game which increases in size randomly depending on when these "patches" happen.

OdinTyler
Dec 9, 2005, 03:18 PM
DarkSun, I wish I could trust it, but, having personally experienced probs, I cant. I lost countless hrs of data on my Saturn because of the same bum mem cart (2 of em). I swore never again. Id get ONLY the system brand names. Sure, I didnt wanna spend extra for it but the protection has been worth it. Im starting to run low on room on my GC & Im sure my PS2's space isnt too far behind. I already decided on a card JUST for PSU. Given the unknown way things will be patched (tho I have my ideas), a fresh card is the way to go for me.