PDA

View Full Version : PSU Language Setting?

Para
Dec 6, 2005, 04:55 PM
Well since my other thread sorta got hijacked by people...

Did anyone notice that throughout a few trailers that the GUI switches from Japanese to english and back to japanese?

Maybe that's a sign that there will be a language option for PSU?

PrinceBrightstar
Dec 6, 2005, 04:56 PM
I don't think so. That footage is from E3 this year that is in english. the new stuff is in JP only.

Mystil
Dec 6, 2005, 05:00 PM
Possibly.

Or they could come up with language based clients. Like North American client, EU, Japanese.. Instead of having it as a setting like in PSO. To better explain what I mean.. FFXI has this system. The japanese have thier own POL(PlayOnLine) client. To use all thier characters(the language) you need to have a JP POL client. There is no language setting.

Nash
Dec 6, 2005, 05:09 PM
As with previous PSO's until it's in our hands we won't know one way or the other.

Fingers crossed though.

Kento
Dec 6, 2005, 05:13 PM
Being an european player, I can tell from PSO that offline gaming is in your country's language (once you select it), but online gaming is all in english...

I have no reasons to think this time it's gonna be different. It will just suck for those who know no english, as they won't be able to communicate (unless they get a word select thingy, which doesn't seem probable)

Nash
Dec 6, 2005, 05:16 PM
Word-select is meant to be returning with PSU.

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Dec 6, 2005, 05:45 PM
I sure hope we can still change our language setting... cuz I plan on setting myself to JP mode to help me with my Japanese

I know they are supposed to have word select still, but that doesnt mean that we can switch languages.... You couldnt switch in FFXI to my knowledge

Para
Dec 6, 2005, 10:03 PM
They recycled their trailer footages? You sure?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nites on 2005-12-06 19:04 ]</font>

Zaphile
Dec 7, 2005, 12:21 AM
I don't think they would be able to fit both English and Japanese voice tracks on one disc, with the online game and offline game.

(Unless you guys are hinting at translating the text only, then that could be possible I guess.)

Para
Dec 7, 2005, 12:34 AM
On 2005-12-06 21:21, Zaphile wrote:
I don't think they would be able to fit both English and Japanese voice tracks on one disc, with the online game and offline game.

(Unless you guys are hinting at translating the text only, then that could be possible I guess.)

maybe they have captions...

actually wait... they do have captions...

Niki
Dec 7, 2005, 12:39 AM
Sorry about your other thread...

What's a GUI?

Sinue_v2
Dec 7, 2005, 12:48 AM
Graphical User Interface I would assume.

Niki
Dec 7, 2005, 02:04 AM
okay, assuming Sinue is correct. which i think is the case.

E3 2005 [USA] : English subtitles and HUD
"Battle of PSU" : same footage, but Japanese HUD
"World of PSU" : Japanese voiceover and HUD
"Network of PSU" : Japanese HUD

and after that, all my downloads started to hang up around halfway through.

so is there a trailer that shows both languages at presumably the same time or event? cause it seems like these took place a year and 8000 miles apart.

Zaphile
Dec 7, 2005, 09:03 AM
On 2005-12-06 21:34, Nites wrote:

On 2005-12-06 21:21, Zaphile wrote:

maybe they have captions...

actually wait... they do have captions...

"Text" includes captions

Para
Dec 7, 2005, 10:03 AM
On 2005-12-06 23:04, Niki wrote:
okay, assuming Sinue is correct. which i think is the case.

E3 2005 [USA] : English subtitles and HUD
"Battle of PSU" : same footage, but Japanese HUD
"World of PSU" : Japanese voiceover and HUD
"Network of PSU" : Japanese HUD

and after that, all my downloads started to hang up around halfway through.

so is there a trailer that shows both languages at presumably the same time or event? cause it seems like these took place a year and 8000 miles apart.

Tokyo Game Show trailer has english on it.

PrinceBrightstar
Dec 7, 2005, 10:37 AM
ya, but all from the area that was at the demo i played in new york, which was the E3 build.

Nai_Calus
Dec 7, 2005, 02:03 PM
The hell with the in-game text, I just want to be assured that I won't have to suffer horrible dub voices. >_>;;;

Please be lazy ST! Don't dub! ;o; Or at least include an option for the original voices. ;o;

DarK-SuN
Dec 7, 2005, 02:17 PM
I think they'll dub, because of Sony of America's clause in the contract which says America released games with voice overs need to have an english vocal option.
Either PSU can fit both Japanese and English vocals or we'll be stuck to English only.

There's this nice chance that Europe gets the Japanese vocals with subs only though (like in the DBZ Budokai series).
Or even better, the chance Sonic Team gets a deal with Sony of America to just ignore dubbing and be happy with subs only.

Better option would be the JP version having selectable english text (like with several PSO versions) and the game be multi-regions like in previous PSO games (since we know it's cross-platform already).

Para
Dec 7, 2005, 02:25 PM
ahhhhhh please don't dub over my beautiful rie tanaka's voice

Nai_Calus
Dec 7, 2005, 02:34 PM
Even if they dub, I guess we can always tell ourselves it could be worse. They could have the Japanese VAs dub it. XD

Niki
Dec 7, 2005, 03:18 PM
It seems like it would be way easier and cheaper to simply include multi-language text options [like the GUI/HUD] that would give us subs for the original VAs, than to re-record the whole script. i suppose a contract is a contract though, so if SofA requires english voices, i'd wager that's all the US version will get.

OdinTyler
Dec 7, 2005, 04:39 PM
You guys are overreacting over something that is neither confirmed nor out (as the game is STILL not out yet). So what if the voices are changed? Whats more important if you can even understand when something is spoken or written out. If you dont like the voice, turn the sound down & do the voice yourself. Thats always fun. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif If theres an option to toggle language for voice or caption, great. I love watching Japanese movies/anime with English subtitles to still have that original feel. My main point here is not to get so worked up about it. What will be, will be. Lets see what is confirmed, then, the 'worry' can be warranted.

PhotonCat
Dec 8, 2005, 12:13 AM
On 2005-12-07 11:17, DarK-SuN wrote:
I think they'll dub, because of Sony of America's clause in the contract which says America released games with voice overs need to have an english vocal option.

That's not true. There is a few games released in North America that are JP voices only. (Genji comes to mind.)

I seriously hope they do keep the JP voices as an option. I am mainly getting PSU for the online portion, but if they only have an English dub option for the offline game I'm definitly not playing the offline mode.

I'm hopeing that Sega will do what they have been with some prievious games (Sonic Adventures series for expample) and have both a JP and Eng track.

Better yet, I do hope the JP version has English text/captions as an option so in case they do screw up and only have an Eng dub on the NA release, you can at least import it and play offline mode with the JP VAs.

DarK-SuN
Dec 8, 2005, 12:23 PM
Might have been an exception.
As I said, some companies cut a deal with Sony for that, one example being DBZ Budokai 1 for the PS2 (even though the titles after that were in english and the Budokai 3 Collector's Edition with a japanese option as well as english).

Let's just hope ST cuts a deal.

Nai_Calus
Dec 8, 2005, 01:21 PM
Megaman X6 wasn't dubbed either. Thank god, X's voice in X4 kept me from playing his side of things until I got a copy of the Japanese version. XD

Zaphile
Dec 8, 2005, 10:45 PM
There's more better things to enjoy than the voices, guys. The characters voices shouldnt be too much of an influence. Also, not ALL people like to sit through a whole game listening to Japanese voices and reading English text.

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Dec 8, 2005, 10:58 PM
Or, ever think that, maybe.... just maybe.... the english voices wont be so bad?
Seriously, Sometimes I think people just hate dubs JUST for the sake of hating dubs, they dont even bother to notice whether that game was dubbed well or not.
And also, Its perfectly possible that the voices suck in Japanese too, we just dont know what normal japanese sounds like, so we dont notice a bad jp dub job.

I dunno, just a thought.
So far, the only game that didnt allow you to change the dubs that I actually couldnt stand the English voices in was Sonic Heroes. For the most part, I think alot of companies are doing better and better at it.

Nai_Calus
Dec 8, 2005, 11:30 PM
Trust me, I know bad JP voiceovers when I hear them. I understand enough to get the gist of things, and emotion is generally universal. If it's bad, it's going to show no matter what. XD

And I don't hate dubs for the sake of hating them, it's just that games do generally tend to have asstastic dubs. XD There've been some really kick-ass anime dubs done - The El Hazard OAVs for one.

It's just that I have yet to hear a video game with english voices that wasn't originally in English that didn't make me cringe. XD;;;

Para
Dec 8, 2005, 11:53 PM
the worst type of english dubs are when they totally go out of the jp character

(like full metal panic... from a strong confident teenager to sounding a weak little child)

DeathMachine
Dec 8, 2005, 11:56 PM
Usually, I hate the children's voices in English AND Japanese. The children have high, shrill, nails-on-chalkboard voices in Japanese. They just soud weird in English. The villains have deep, evil voices in Japanese, while, in English versions, I lose the feel of "ooo...evil villain. cool." There are lots of small children in PSU (ie: Lumia). Therefore, I fear both English and Japanese versions. So, it don't matter either way.

Zarode
Dec 9, 2005, 12:00 AM
On 2005-12-08 20:56, DeathMachine wrote:
Usually, I hate the children's voices in English AND Japanese. The children have high, shrill, nails-on-chalkboard voices in Japanese. They just soud weird in English. The villains have deep, evil voices in Japanese, while, in English versions, I lose the feel of "ooo...evil villain. cool." There are lots of small children in PSU (ie: Lumia). Therefore, I fear both English and Japanese versions. So, it don't matter either way.

I do not think Sega is gonna waste their money on English voice acting. Hell, if I were them, I wouldn't...just give me subtitles.

OdinTyler
Dec 9, 2005, 03:20 PM
Like I said, everyone is overreacting over something that isnt confirmed & the game isnt even out yet. Relax. What will be, will be. If theres any settings to adjust, ppl will adjust to taste or mood. Im sure there will be even some basic lvl of adjustment, so, I dont understand why all the discussion. Chill...