PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Universe FAQ [ Updated 2nd March ]

Lovejuice
Dec 6, 2005, 08:01 PM
This thread has been locked. Please use the FAQ located here:
http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2368

The Big Fat PSU FAQ!

Last Update: 2nd March 2006

- Changes to 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.7 and 1.17 in 'General'. 1.18 and 1.19 added.
- Updates to 2.3 and 2.6 in 'Offline', mainly detailing 'extra mode'.
- Updates to 3.7, 3.9, 3.11, 3.14, 3.15, 3.20, and 3.36 in 'Online'.
- Updates to 4.4, 4.6, 4.7, 4.8, 4.17, and 4.19 in 'Gameplay'. With the new additions of 4.27 and 4.28.
- 5.10 added to 'Everything Else'.
- Typos and grammar all over the show in 'General' and 'Online'.

Why, hello there. Welcome to Lovejuice's rather lengthy FAQ that should hopefully answer some common (and a few not-so common) queries regarding the upcoming Phantasy Star Universe (PSU). It might be quite long, so pull up a chair. Please note that a lot of these 'questions' have readily available answers in the PSU section of the PSOW website (http://www.pso-world.com/psu.php). So take a peek there. All information here is based on pre-release materials so far, such as videos, trailers, interviews, official documentation and so on. This FAQ has mainly been created to hopefully relieve new users of any initial concerns or questions they may have regarding Phantasy Star Universe.

So without further ado, let us begin!

Please let me know of any errors or required updates!

Current number of questions: 106

Current Sections:

1. General PSU
- Covering general things such as price, release dates, systems..
2. Offline
- What you will or won't be able to achieve in Offline mode gameplay.
3. Online
- What you will or won't be able to achieve in Online mode gameplay.
4. Gameplay
- Common questions on how the game 'works'.
5. Everything else
- The junk.

### - 1. GENERAL PSU - ###

1.1: So what exactly IS Phantasy Star Universe? Tell me!
A: Here is Sega's description of the game:

"This robust action-RPG offers more than 40 hours of single-player game play, an emotionally engaging story, traditional cut-scenes, and strong character development. The title's hero is Ethan Waber, a 17-year old cadet, who is living on a planet under siege by mysterious life forms called THE SEED. The combo-driven action game play in Phantasy Star Universe provides for a fast-paced, engaging experience, while the game's rich character customisation options and enormous world are sure to satisfy RPG fans seeking depth."

Truth be told, PSU is the next installment in the Phantasy Star franchise. Taking the action-RPG way of things seen in Phantasy Star Online (PSO), PSU sets out to feature an in depth battle system, and a game that caters both to the offline, single-player, RPG seeker, and those looking for the next online game in the PS series. PSU promises to feature several new advancements over its PSO predecessor, such as a new combat system and weapons, new races, improved Artificial Intelligence, an increased party size to that of 6, and multiple worlds to explore - all mixed in with some rather gor-jus visuals.

1.2: What systems will I be able to play PSU on?
A: PSU is currently scheduled for release on both the Sony Playstation 2, and Windows (XP/2000) based PCs.

There are rumours circulating through the internet, and a few gaming publications, hinting that PSU may come to the Xbox 360 at some point. For the time being, please treat these rumours as just that; rumours. There is currently no concrete evidence to back up such claims.

1.3: When will PSU be released? How much will it cost?
Phantasy Star Universe is now scheduled to be released in Japan for the Playstation 2 and PC at some point within '2006'. Previously, the release date had been given as the 16th February 2006, and then pushed to March 30th 2006. A recent update on the official PSU website has now updated this to ambiguous '2006', the reason given being that Sonic Team still wish to further polish the game and tweak the online network.

There will be two versions of the game available, a retail version and Sega Direct version. The retail version will cost 6120 yen (about 60 USD), while the Sega Direct version will be 6800 yen (around 70 USD). Both versions will feature a guide book and CD if you preorder the game. Additionally, the Sega Direct version will include an unspecified bonus.

There are currently no exact official release dates for either the North American, or European, release of PSU. All information released regarding a US release date has recently changed to 'Fall 2006' (3rd Quarter), sadly. Europe is still up in the air, especially when you consider that the official European page still claims 'Summer 2006'. It is unknown if the delayed Japanese release will have any bearing on the US/EU release dates.

1.4: Sega Direct?
A: Sega Direct (http://segadirect.jp/Catalog/CustomPages/CustomDetail2.aspx?File=psu.htm) is Sega's direct online store. Simply order, and Sega Direct will deliver to your home. Currently, Sega Direct do not ship internationally (as in, somewhere other than Japan). Nearer the mysterious US/EU release it is likely a localised Sega store will open up. It is also not known if a downloadable version of the game will be available.

1.5: Are there plans for PSU to be ported to, or created for, next-gen consoles, such as the Xbox 360 (see 1.2), Nintendo Revolution, or Playstation 3?
A: Not yet, no. However, interviews and press releases have claimed that Sega wish to support PSU for 'years to come', which may (and I repeat, may) be a hint that PSU will receive updates or rehashes, much like PSO has done in the form of Dreamcast Version 2, Gamecube and Xbox Episode I & II, and so on.

1.6: What about Macs?
A: Currently there are no official plans to release PSU for Apple Macintosh.

1.7: Will I be able to play online?
A: Yes! PSU will feature both a hugely story-driven offline action RPG - and a purely online counterpart, which will have some striking similarities to, and improvements over, PSO, incorporating much of the same 'universe' experienced offline.

1.8: Will there be a fee to play online?
A: Yes, you will have to pay to play online. For the Japanese version, you will need to create a Sega Link (http://segalink.jp/) account. If you register your account by the end of January, you will receive an in-game item and be able to download an exclusive screensaver. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to win a Netcash card.

If you wish to register a Sega Link account through the Japanese site, for Japanese PSU, you are required to have a PC that is capable of inputting Japanese, in order to complete the registration. A full guide for the procedure, can be found here (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2382), on PSO-World.

PSU will cost 1260 yen (8.94 EU/ 10.53 USD) for your first 30 days online. After that, it will cost 1050 yen (7.45 EU/8.78 USD) to renew your account each month, if you use the automatic renewal service.

The term '30 days' refers to an available window of game time, rather than actual playtime. By paying for '30 days' you are essentially activating your online account for 30 real-time days. If you only login to your account for one hour during that period, that's your loss!

Price plans for the USA/EU releases of PSU have not been announced, or, if it'll even cost the rest of the world to play online. So watch this space.

1.9: Will I need a PS2 HDD to play online? Like FFXI?
A: Strangely, no. Sega have revealed that they have no plans for HDD support on the PS2 (even though newer PS2 models have this built in). This may have something to do with Sony's recent neglect of the HDD.

Patches and security updates for the PS2 version will be stored on PS2 memory cards. So be sure to own a reliable one with a bit of space!

1.10: What type of internet connection will I require to play PSU?
A: A broadband connection to the internet is strongly recommended for both versions, and listed as the minimum requirement by Sega Direct. 56k may of course be feasible, although you put yourself prone to 'lag', and slow download times. You will of course, needs some way to get your PS2 online, if you wish to play online through the Playstation 2 version. This may require you to purchase additional hardware (http://www.us.playstation.com/peripherals.aspx?id=SCPH-10281) for your PS2, depending on the age of your equipment.

1.11: Ok, so I want to play it on my PC. What are the system requirements?
A: The minimum requirements for the PC version have been announced as followed:

Operating System: Win 2k/Win XP
Processor: 1.6 GHz Pentium 4
RAM: 256 MB
Video Card: 3D card with 64 MB of VRAM
Direct X 9.0c
Hard Drive Space: 8.0 GB
Network Connection: Broadband

Recommended requirements have not been released officially. However, one can assume that 512MB or above will be recommended, along with the best darn video card you can afford!

Also, take note that according to Sega Direct, you will REQUIRE a DVD-ROM drive to install the game.

1.12: Will the PC version be released in a CD-ROM version? I do not have a DVD-ROM drive!
A: Currently, there has been no inkling as to such. So, I guess it's time to upgrade!

1.13: Will there be voice acting?
A: Yes! The offline game will heavily feature voice acting from most, if not all, characters, mainly as they feature in cut-scenes and FMV videos. Online characters also appear to have a 'voice' option during creation, most likely for battle grunts and screams.

1.14: What languages will PSU be in?
A: PSU will feature audio tracks appropriate to its region, so, Japanese for the original release in Japan, and an English voice track for the North American and European release. It is not known if there will be audio tracks to cater for other languages, or if the Japanese release will feature the English dialogue, and vice versa.

1.15: Will there be English text in the Japanese language version?
A: Currently, this is a bit of a grey area. Videos from conventions (such as E32005 or TGS2005) , along with recently released trailers, have shown PSU to run in Japanese audio, with English subtitles and menu options, along with the GUI/HUD system often showing English. It is not known whether or not this was just for US/EU demonstration, or if the JP release of the game will feature this choice, however. But here's hoping!

1.16: I want to import the Japanese game! How can I do this?
A: Currently, Sega Direct will not ship (or pre-order) internationally. Nearer the time, this may change, or you may wish to seek unofficial import services.

Currently, a few Asia based stores are offering pre-order services for either the PS2 or PC, with international shipping, do so at your own risk:

Play Asia (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-19-37-872a8e0080c38377943050731afdc82b-71-99-15-phantasy%2Bstar%2Buniverse.html), Hong Kong based, with international shipping provided via EMS, DHL, or UPS 2-Day.
Himeya Shop (http://www.himeyashop.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=phantasy+star+ universe&x=0&y=0), Japan based, with slightly higher prices than Play Asia.

1.17: So if I get the Japanese version, how can I pay the online fees?
A: Currently, if you try and register a non-Japanese Credit Card with Sega Link (who handle online registrations, more on this later), you will encounter various errors. As such, there is no official way to pay the online fees for the imported PSU, with any non Japanese Credit Card, yet. If you have access to 'Netcash' cards (available in convenience stores in Japan, and through limited suppliers in the United States, such as a 7/11), it seems that you are able to 'top-up' you Japanese account with such.

More information on paying with Netcash, or online time cards, may also come to light as we approach release. So watch this space.

1.18: Is there a PSU beta test?
A: No word has been spoken of a public PSU beta testing session. It would appear that all testing is going on behind closed doors, over in Japan, with an in-house testing team.

1.19: So, if I get an account for online PSU, can I interchange between a PS2 and PC (or multiples of each) to play the online game?
A: This seems extremely likely, and at least a certainty for Japanese PSU (through Sega Link). Seeing as all online data relating to your characters will be stored on Sega's servers, all you may need to know to play online is a PSU capable terminal, and your username and password, much as in PSO Blue Burst, or a plethora of other online games.

### - 2. OFFLINE - ###

2.1: So, what is PSU's offline mode?
A: PSU's offline mode is a standalone 40 hours plus action RPG. Featuring a host of characters, and deep storyline, you take control of Ethan Waber, as he embarks on a quest to save his sister, Lumia, which ultimately leads him on a quest to save the universe (as you do). Taken from the PSO-World 'Story' section (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2352) (translated by GaijinPunch):

The stage is the Graal Star System, which consists of three planets. Each planet has its own unique culture that is formed by its inhabitant races.

The history of the Graal Star System is filled with conflicts amongst the different races. However, after the Final Conflict 100 years ago, a union was formed amongst the three planets. The led to the birth to the Allied Army, and ultimately to peace for the Graal Star System.

At this time, the 100th year anniversary of the Graal Star System Alliance is being celebrated. The main character, Ethan, and his sister, Lumia, were both enjoying the ceremony which featured the space fleet - the pride of the Allied Army. However, the fleet was destroyed one-by-one by an incoming meteor shower. Even the lands were enveloped in flames! In reality it wasn't a meteor shower that caused the destruction. Instead, it was a space life form that would later be called SEED whose goal was to lead Graal to its destruction. Invasions occurred after SEED's landing and soon darkness covered the land.

Even the Guardian Colony fell into panic when it was suddenly attacked by the mysterious lifeform. In the midst of the confusion, only Lumia remained in the rubble as the Guardians fell one by one. To save his sister, Ethan would borrow the strength of the Guardians and start out on his first life-or-death mission.

In addition, it was recently made publicly known, that 'offline mode' will feature an additional bonus known as 'extra mode', whereby you can create your own custom avatar - and explore the Graal system, in areas you have previously cleared in the offline game. It's not made clear if this opens up upon completion of the offline story, or as you plough through the offline areas.

In 'extra mode', you will be able to partner up with various members of the offline cast, along with your own partner machinery, but it is not known if your custom hero will feature in any 'story events', such as cutscenes or the like. It seems more akin to the original offline mode of PSO. Extra mode has no bearing on the online game, from what we know. Your offline characters created for extra mode, will stay there.

2.2: So erm, is it like PSO's offline mode?
A: Not really. While PSO's offline mode was essentially the online multiplayer mode without team-mates, PSU features an in-depth story, forcing you to play a central character who slowly unravels the mysteries of the Graal system, encountering, and teaming with, a host of other adventurers. This leads you on a (pre-determined) line of events, much like your conventional single-player RPG. It is not known if you will be able to accept outside quests or missions in the offline game, but it is extremely doubtful. The core battle system and gameplay mechanics however, are the same in both 'versions'.

The closest experience to PSO's offline mode will come from the recently revealed 'extra mode' (see above), which allows you to hunt through areas previously cleared by Ethan.

2.3: Can I create my own character to play as in offline mode?
A: Not entirely. In the regular offline mode, you play as Ethan Waber, a pre-created male human character, conjured up by Sega. It has recently been revealed however, that you will be given the ability to customise Ethan's outfit somewhat, which will then be reflected in all ingame events and cut-scenes.

In the new 'extra mode', you will be able to create your own offline hero, and traverse the Graal system offline, in areas cleared as [your] Ethan. However, in this 'extra mode' you do not follow the same story as you would with Ethan Waber. Instead, you embark on an 'endless' game, where all you essentially do is raise your character. Much like the online counterpart.

2.4: Is there a multiplayer offline mode?
A: No. The only offline mode that exists, is the single-player story mode. PSU also appears to have no LAN support.

2.5: Will I be able to control anyone other than Ethan?
A: Currently, this is not 100% known, but looks unlikely. Other characters will join (and leave) your party as the story progresses, but the majority of the story will be told from Ethan's point of view. To control your own character offline, you will need to play the 'extra mode' (see 2.1).

2.6: Will I have a party in the offline mode? Can I choose who will be in it? Can I control them?
A: Yes, there will be party members. Various members of the Guardians, and other Graal dwelling folk, will join Ethan's party during the game. Each will bring something to the battlefield (such as ranged weapons, melee skills, 'magical power'), and be controlled by AI. It is not known how much control we have over our party's performance. It is also not known if we can pick and choose who joins Ethan's quest. It looks likely that for a large part of the game, your party members will be chosen purely on the basis of storyline events.

In extra mode, you will be able to pick and choose your party, depending on your progress in the regular offline story. As you progress, as Ethan, numerous offline NPC characters may give your their 'Partner Card'. This will allow you to call them to your aide in 'extra mode'.

2.7: Can I take Ethan and/or my offline party online?
A: No, all characters from the offline mode stay there. You will not be able to take 'your' Ethan and party online. This includes characters from extra mode. To play online, you must create your own, brand new, hero or heroine.

2.8: What about items or meseta?
A: Everything you find, earn, or create, in the offline mode will stay there and has no bearing on your online inventory.

2.9: Does anything in the offline mode change what happens online?
A: Gameplay wise, not that we know of. No items or characters from offline will effect your online progress. Storyline events however, may be similar, and you may come across Ethan or friends online during quests. The online mode takes place at the same 'time' as the events of offline, however no progress made in the offline game will effect the online setting.

2.10: So, is offline mode like a 'proper' RPG?
A: If by 'proper' you mean it features a story, characters, and all that jazz, then yes. PSU's offline mode was created to cater to the offline, single-player, audience. The easiest comparison to the offline gameplay, would be that of say, Kingdom Hearts, another action-based 'real time' RPG.

### - 3. ONLINE - ###

3.1: So, what is PSU's online mode?
A: Online mode is essentially the direct sequel to Phantasy Star Online. You create your own hero and venture out into the world(s) to defeat nasties with big weapons. In this case, the scourge of the Graal system, known as SEED. Most, if not all, of the dungeons and bosses from the offline game exist online for you to battle, and the dungeons will be generated into random layouts each time. The battle system is also identical to that of the offline game. You can also take part in special quests and events to make a name for yourself!

Of course, the best part is, you can do it with your friends, or meet new people, and fight evil together!

3.2: Do I need to complete offline mode first in order to play online?
A: No, as soon as you start up PSU, you will be given the option to either start the offline game, or venture online.

3.3: Where and when does online mode take place?
A: The online mode of PSU takes place in the same 'time' as the offline story. As such, all dungeons and planets open to Ethan offline, will be available for browsing during the online mode. Remember, that no offline events will manipulate your online experience. You may embark on similar quests or to similar areas and bosses, but you are simply an aspiring hero, setting out to make a name for yourself. You will also be able to travel between the three planets in the Graal system. You may even encounter some characters from the offline mode during your travels!

In the new lobbies, cities, you can join up with people and quest together. This will throw you and your team into a instanced zone, with which you can do battle. It is not like a huge sprawling MMORPG world, it is infact more akin to the game style of Guild Wars' instanced missions, Diablo II's instanced areas (or 'rooms'), or City of Heroes' mission maps.

3.4: Do I have to register to play the online mode?
A: Yes. In order to play online, you will require a Sega Link ID (see question 1.http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif. This ID is currently geared towards the Japanese game, but will no doubt have an NA/EU branch become available nearer the English release. This ID will most likely provide your login name for your PSU account. Your Sega Link ID will also work for both the PC and PS2 versions of the game.

Online play for the Japanese version is not free, and will require payment for each 30 days of game time. How much, or even if, it will cost to play online on the NA/EU version, is yet to be disclosed. See 'General PSU', part 1 of this FAQ, for more information on pricing.

3.5: I play PSO Blue Burst on the PC, or another form of online PSO already. Can I use my existing Hunter's Licence?
A: Currently, the answer is no. All we know so far, is that for the JP version, you will be required to register for a new Sega Link ID, which will manage your new PSU billing account.

3.6: Will there be a free trial period of online play? Or a demo version?
A: For the JP version, no. Infact, your initial 30 day period will cost you more than any subsequent months. There is also no knowledge floating around as to a 'demo' version. It is not known if there are any plans for this to work differently for the NA/EU releases.

3.7: Can I make my own character online?
A: Yes! This will be one of the highlights of the online mode. You can create your own personal hero or heroine, with which to venture the Graal system with, from an extremely extensive character creation system (more of this in section 3, 'Gameplay').

3.8: Can I be Ethan or any one else from offline mode online, then?
A: No. You cannot be 'the' Ethan Waber, or any supporting characters, nor your 'extra mode' heroes, although I'm sure you will be able to make someone who looks similar. Your online heroes have their own stories to create!

3.9: What races or classes can my character be? Are they restricted to sexes?
A: The old PSO setup of HUCast, RAcaseal, FOnewm, and so on, no longer exists in PSU. Classes have been abolished completely! Now, you only have your race, and how you delegate your potential, is up to you. Of course, each race have varying potential in each area of combat. The races are the same as PSO; Human, Cast, and Newman, with the new addition of the Beast type. Here's a brief description on each:

Human: Jack of all trades, master of none. Able to use an immense selection of weapons and techniques, in order to get the job done. The most balanced of all races.

Cast: Androids created by Humans who are now able to possess their own thoughts. They have great physical strength and accuracy, and have high skill with guns and other firearms. They possess the lowest mental strength (but actually have some, now!). Also able to use the extremely powerful 'SUV Weapon'.

Newman: An attempt by Humans to create a 'super-race'. Owners of the highest and most potent mental ability, but the weakest physical power and melee ability. Proficient in the use of techniques.

Beast: Created to survive in harsh environments, the Beasts possess the highest physical strength, making, causing them to excel in melee range. Their lack of concentration however, leaves them with limited firearm usage, and very low mental strength. They also have the ability to transform into a 'Nanoblast' form, increasing their power significantly for a brief period, and altering their appearance.

For much a more indepth look at the races, please check out this PSOW section (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2358)!

Choice of sex for your character, is of your own free will, and is not governed by your account information (all races have M/F options). Body size, height, or not handicap or enhance your fighting ability. It is unknown if a character's gender will have any bearing on their potential, but seems unlikely.

3.10: How much customisation is there over my online character?
A: Hundreds! Thousands! One of the big things about PSU's online characters, is the endless combination of character 'looks' you will be able to pull off. Everything from hair color, eye color, underwear colour, eyelash length, shoes, and proportion is editable, blowing PSO's character creation out of the water. Your appearance in PSU is something Sega want the playerbase to take great care over (especially seeing as it will be used rather frequently for ingame things, such as Cut-In-Chat, see further below). For a more indepth look, take a look at the PSOW section on character creation (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2357).

3.11: Will I be able to make more than one online character? How many can I make?
A: Yes! It was recently revealed through an official update, that your online account will feature (at least) four character slots.

3.12: How big can party sizes be online?
A: The party size has been increased to 6 members maximum (over the 4 of PSO). This is also the same for the offline mode.

3.13: Where are my online characters stored?
A: Characters for the online game will be stored on the Sega online servers. They will not exist on your PS2 memory cards or PC Hard Disk.

3.14: Ack! I don't like how my character looks! Will I be able to change it later?
A: Yes. For all you fashionistas, it has been revealed in a recent Japanese magazine article, that PSU will include a 'dressing room' style feature, so you can further tweak and edit your character upon creation. The limitations, or cost of this, are unknown.

Also, you will be able to tweak your outfit, (possibly with 'earnt' or 'bought' outfits, but this is currently under much speculation) through a feature of the new 'my room' addition to PSU.

3.15: Can I customise my Beast's transformation?
A: Currently this is not known. But, in videos we've seen where the offline Beast character, Leogini, has transformed, he appears to have retained some of his 'original' features. So perhaps your original character design has some governing over the transformation. All we know so far, is that as a bare minimum, male and female beasts will have the utmost different of transformation designs. We'll just have to wait and see!

3.16: Can my character talk?
A: It has been seen in trailers, that a 'voice type' option is available for online characters. This most likely implies that you can give your character a pre-created 'voice', with which to scream and grunt and make other noises with in battle. It even comes with a voice pitch slider!

3.17: Are there section IDs?
A: Currently there has been no speak of the return of section IDs, other than brief tidbits from development sketches.

3.18: Can I play with my online character offline?
A: No. Your online created characters are exclusive to online play. And nothing else. To create your own offline character, you must play the offline 'extra mode' (see 'Offline').

3.19: So, they're not stored offline, like PSO?
A: Correct. All online created characters and inventories are stored on Sega's servers.

3.20: Will there be personal storage place?
For each player you create, you will receive a space just for your player called 'my room'. You can invite other players in to chat and place various items around your room to change its looks. This also where your Partner Machinery (see 'Gameplay' section) can reside. In 'my room', you will also have access to a deposit facility, which works much like the 'bank' of PSO. Here, you can deposit items and meseta for safekeeping, or to share between the other characters on your account.

3.21: What is the maximum level in online PSU?
A: Currently unknown. 100 or 200 is a safe guess, though!

3.22: Will there be lobbies, like in PSO?
A: Lobbies have grown and evolved into 'cities' within PSU. These multi-floored cities include shops, information, and of course, other players! In these cities you can meet and converse with other players, arrange to quest, and take care of your character's maintenance, such as costume tweaks, item shopping, or weapon editing. This area will most likely also give access to 'your room' (see further below for more), and will allow you to enter the field to do battle, or instantly transport to another planet within the system.

Each city can allegedly hold 100 people each, and multiple will exist per planet in the Graal system, to accommodate the PSU audience. The majority of party organisation will take place in these areas.

3.23: Will there be symbol chat, like in PSO?
A: Symbol chat has been replaced, with the new 'Cut-In-Chat' feature. This allows you to have your avatar's face appear on screen, displaying various emotions (coupled with additional flashing lights). How customisable this feature is, is still shrouded in mystery. Take a look at this PSOW section (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2357) to see it in action.

3.24: Will there be a 'Word Select' feature, like in PSO?
A:Yes! It has been reported that an Word Select will be making a comeback in PSU, with improvements. What implications this has as to the linking of the international servers, is unknown.

3.25: Will there be a voice chat option, like in PSO for the XBox?
A: Currently, there has been no mention of such, and it looks unlikely to feature. Although, for the PC version, alternate software such as Ventrilo or Teamspeak, may be an alternative for friends who wish to chat.

3.26: Can PS2 and PC users play on the same servers?
A: Yes! It was recently revealed by IGN, that PS2 and PC players will play on linked servers!

3.27: Will players of the JP version be able to play with USA players, and so forth, like in PSO?
A: Currently unknown. However, the return of Word Select can only lead way to theories that Sega might have something up their sleeve..

3.28: Will there be a 'Guild Card' system, like a list of friends?
A: Guild Cards have been renamed to the new 'Partner Cards'. Partner Cards work much like the old Guild Card system, containing a short biography and various information about your avatar, and act as a link to contact one another with. It also appears to be required to exchange cards in order to embark on certain missions in the online game.

3.29: Will there be Guilds/Teams in PSU?
A: There is no Guild/Team system present in PSU (yet).

3.30: Will there be Player vs Player (PVP), in PSU?
A: This has not been mentioned at all in any developer interview or official resource. It seems unlikely, but may be planned for the future. Who knows?

3.31: What about Challenge Mode?
A: Again, this has not been mentioned, so it's a resounding 'No', for the time being.

3.32: Will there be difficulty levels in online PSU, like normal, hard, very hard etc, in PSO?
A: This again, has not been revealed as yet. Enemies in PSU do have their own 'levels' now, so an advancing difficulty of old may be possible, as may slowly increasing enemy levels, over one base game, over the mass of PSU dungeons. In screenshots, we have seen missions with varying 'grades' of difficulty (C, B, A, S). What bearing this has on the actual enemy encounters is yet to be revealed.

3.33: Will there be cheating in PSU? Are Sega taking any measures to prevent it?
A: No solid details on anti-cheat measures have been released, but the introduction of downloadable patches is a nice sign. The most obvious anti-cheat process is server side saving for online characters (much like Blue Burst), and hope that with a brand new engine, comes less security holes. There has been no word yet on GM activity or availability for ingame assistance, or how Sega plan to manage Customer Support. People trying to cheat is no doubt inevitable, like all games.

3.34: Will there be patches or content updates for PSU?
A: Sega recently revealed that they plan to manage updates or security fixes for the PS2 version, as downloadables to memory cards. Obviously, for the PC version, this is a much simpler affair. At least this means we will see patches of some kind! As for content updates, it seems unlikely, due to the size restrictions of a memory card system. It's more likely that content may be 'locked' or hidden on the Disc, until Sega feel it is time for the content to go 'live', and then a simple button press is required on their end. Avid PSO players will be familiar with this system.

3.35: What kind of 'trade' system will online PSU feature?
A: This is currently not known. One would assume that it will at least be upto par with the latest PSO outings (a user activated trade window).

3.36: How many characters will I be able to make on a single online account?
A: Recently, it has been revealed that your account will consist of 4 online characters (similar to PSO: Blue Burst). It is unknown if you will be able to purchase additional character slots, or if there are plans to increase this number.

### - 4. GAMEPLAY - ###

4.1: Can you tell me about the combat style of PSU?
The battle of PSU, like PSO, exists in a full 3D real-time environment. All your actions take place right now, and you must act quick to avoid defeat. Enemies will chase, and you can run or dodge, or assault with a huge variety of weapons. You can also initiate special combos and techniques, with which to defeat your foes.

At its core, it's very similar to PSO, with increased movement and fluidity, and sprinkles of new features.

4.2: What weapons can I use in PSU?
There are over 20 categories of weapons, everything from staves and rods, to the new bow and arrow, each with varying characteristics. For an extensive list, check out the PSOW weaponry page (http://="http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2372).

4.3: So I dual wield weapons?
A: Yes, you can dual equip a large variety of single handed weaponry. Such as Sabers and Handguns. Large weapons, such as lumbering Swords, will take up both hands, in exchange for greater attacking power. PSU also features an easy to use weapon equipping system, perfect for changing weapons 'on the fly', without the need to hazard menus during heated battles.

4.4: What about techniques/magic?
A: Taken from the PSOW technique section (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2355):

'Technic' is the name given to a photon catalyst. A photon catalyst is method that can systematically transform psychic energy into various supernatural phenonemon.

Science has been able to explain the effect of photon acting on a catalyst. Previously, this transformation was considered to be a supernatural or spiritual power. This phenomenon, when used by people, became known as technic and was generalized into a form that could be used by the masses.

To cast spells, you will have to have a weapon equipped. Certain weapons will contain slots which you can 'bind' the techniques to, for usage. Using a technique will 'cost' you PP (see next question) for each usage, much in the way they cost TP back in PSO. Based on translated screenshots, we know the following techniques will appear:

-Foie
-Rafoie
-Gifoie
-Barta
-Gibarta
-Rabarta
-Zonde
-Resta

While many PSO players will have seen, or heard of, these techniques before, new additions to PSO's technique library are also apparent from official screenshots and videos. Their powers or names are unknown. Most notable, is the new inclusion of Earth type techniques (and elemental attacks), and expanded versions of old PSO staples!

4.5: What about HP and TP? Do they still exist?
A: HP (Hitpoints) still exist and play a large part of your survivability. However, TP has been done away with, and is replaced with the new Photon Points (PP), which are governed by your weapon. Each weapon has varying amounts of PP, and in some cases, this can be enhanced (see 'Grinding' further below). Seeing as techniques are 'combined' to your weapon, magic usage eats some of these points. The special attacks known as Photon Arts also cost some of your PP. You can refill your PP by using 'fluid' type items, dropped by enemies or bought in stores, as seen in PSO.

4.6: Are there MAGs in PSU?
A: MAGs have been replaced with the new 'Partner Machinery' (PM) helper, in PSU. With new evolutions and abilities, all good Hunter should have one!

PMs reside in your 'room', unless, it has reached a stage in its life where you are able to take it out with you onto the battlefield (at this point, the PM will give you its 'Partner Card'), where it can even fight alongside you as a party member! Otherwise, they manage items, mission assignments, and general information. You can 'feed' your PM items in order to induce evolutions (much like MAGs), which vary their ability both in and off the field. Of importance, your PM is also able to create/synthesize (possibly unique) items based on your findings in the field, with varying degrees of success.

The most vital difference to bear in mind about PMs in PSU, over MAGs in PSO, is that they do not directly increase your stats (as far as we know), and are not necessarily 'equippable'.

4.7: Partner Machinery can fight? How?
If you have levelled up your PM enough to induce certain evolutions, your Partner Machinery will give you its 'Partner Card'. Card in hand, you will be able to take your friend onto the battle field, where, controlled by AI, it will assist you in battles. The power of a PM, or its abilities in battle, are very much a secret, as Sega are remaining tight-lipped on the matter, however, recent videos have shown a PM to use 'Photon Art' fighting techniques.

4.8: What about Photon Blasts?
A: There has been no sign of Photon Blasts, or any superbly powerful abilities that a Partner Machinery could initiate, yet. However, races appear to have certain abilities (that exist within a similar 'charge-up through damage' system to PSO) that may make up for such.

4.9: What about armors and shields?
A: Armors and shields, will be making a comeback in PSU, to raise your DFP and EVP (Defensive Power and Evasive Power), elemental resistances, along with any other special bonuses.

4.10: Will armors and shields change how I look?
A: From revealed information, not much. Much like PSO, equipping armor and shields will not alter your appearance significantly. The main chage associated with such, is that depending on certain elemental resistances granted by armors, certain parts of one's costume may change color. Rather strangely, this was also given ingame reasoning through a recent Japanese article. Apparently due to the advancement in Photon technology, the defensive power of a shield can be compressed into a thin barrier of Photon energy that doesn't effect the outer appearance of the person equipping such. Who would've thought?

4.11: Are there any special abilities for the different races?
A: So far, the special abilities for both the Beast and Cast race have been revealed. It is unknown if Humans or Newmans will have a special ability of their own.

For Beasts, they can transform into their 'Nanoblast' form. A powerful, more animalistic, version of themselves. In this form, aside from the obvious physical change, their attack power is vastly increased. The duration of such, or limitations, are currently unknown.

Casts can unleash the 'SUV Weapon', a powerful barrage of firepower utilising a space satellite and 'nano-transmission' (a long distance signal apparently). This sounds more akin to the Photon Blast of PSO fame, where you can unleash a concentrated blast of power at a target. This can be partially seen being used by Lou in various PSU trailers.

It has recently been revealed that these two abilities become available after taking a certain amount of damage (such as Photon Blasts in PSO). For a better look, check out this PSOW article (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2370)!

4.12: Are there special combos or weapon abilities?
A: Yes, a new feature for PSU, is the introduction of the Photon Art system. With these, you can unleash powerful combos unto your enemies, in exchange for PP. As for weapons having inherent special abilities, little is known.

It also seems possible to do the old '3 hit combo' of PSO, with an extra ability to increase this to 6 hits.

4.13: Can you tell me more about Photon Arts?
A: Photon Arts are powerful multi-hit combos that can be initiated during combat at a price of PP, through a combination of button presses on the action palette. With increased power and attack speed, you will be able to do immense damage to your enemies, with a possibility to inflict additional effects, such as knocking them down, or hitting multiple targets at once!. So far, we have witnessed Ethan (Human) doing these offline, but it is believed that all Races will be capable of such. Certain weapons may possess more powerful Photon Art techniques, others may lack them at all.

4.14: I heard there is a First Person Mode in PSU, can you tell me more?
A: Yes, you are able to enter a first person mode when brandishing a gun type weapon. This allows you to attack enemy weak points that would otherwise be unseen, and gives you an added ability to take down aerial foes. You are however, stationary while in this mode. This way of firing is purely optional.

4.15: Can I raise my stats individually? Or is it pre-determined, like PSO?
A: Some information has recently come to light on the stat raising procedure. Heroes in PSU have their 'stats' split into three areas. These are HU-type (Hunter: Melee fighting, swords, claws, sabers and so on), RA-type (Ranger: Ranged weapons, such as rifles and shots), and FO-type (Force: Techniques, and strangely, the Bow and Arrow). As you continue to fight utilising either of these methods, you wil acrue 'points' in these areas, which can be exchanged at the 'Type Counter' in order race your proficiency in said areas. You have free choice over what you decide to raise - but the 'caps' or limitations of each statistic are not know. One would fathom that your initial choice of race will be the governing factor as to what exactly you can achieve with this system.

4.16: Can I 'grind' my weapons, like in PSO?
A: Yes. Grinding has changes a bit, and requires you to use certain items at a special Grinding store in cities, along with a meseta fee, to achieve the upgrade. Grinding in PSU will increase your weapons ATP (attack power), and the amount of Photon Points (PP) available. However, grinding now has a chance to fail, rendering your weapon 'useless'. What Sega mean by 'useless' is still under scrutiny, we don't know if your weapon is literally ruined for good, of simply reverted to a pre-grind state. More information as soon as it is released!

4.17: Will my weapons have statistics (I.E. +Hit, +A. Beast), like in PSO?
A: Currently this is unknown.

4.18: Will my weapons have specials, like in PSO?
A: A bit of a mystery still. Weapons are prone to different Photon Art actions, but may be able to inflict different status, ailments. It is possible however, to 'combine' an element (through your technic ability and level) to your weapon, giving it that elemental property, and advantage over certain enemies (for example, combining Gifoie with your Saber, would give the Saber the additional property of fire). Whether or not this is a permanent, or changeable attribute, is unknown.

4.19: How can you earn money?
A: Meseta, the currency in PSU (and a staple of the Phantasy Star franchise!), can be found by defeating enemies (dropped on the floor), and most likely also by completing quests and selling objects created by your Partner Machinery to other players (online only). Other money generating methods are still unknown.

4.20: How will you find rares?
A: Like PSO, enemies drop items upon defeat. It is very likely that it'll be a simple case of defeating enemy X, and getting lucky. In the long run, it may be possible that your Partner Machinery can create unique items, too.

4.21: Will there be rare monsters in PSU?
A: Nothing has been mentioned yet, so who knows? Here's hoping!

4.22: Are there Rappies in PSU?
A: We haven't seen any, yet, but I'm sure they'll feature someplace!

4.23: Can I run and shoot?
A: Yes. While 'locked-on' to a target, you can strafe (forwards, back, and left and right) and shoot at the same time. This has so far only been seen in use with small 'handgun' type weapons.

4.24: Can we walk and run?
A: All characters in PSU appear to automatically run, annihilating the old "couple of steps of walking, then run" way of travel that existed in PSO.

4.25: Are there vehicles? Can we ride them ourselves?
A: Yes! PSU features a feast of vehicles for us to traverse the planets of Graal with. Among those revealed so far, is a speeder-bike style hovering device known as a "Flowder" used to traverse harsh terrain, and a funny-looking dinosaur type creature (that breathes fire!) known as "Lunga". The usage of these online is still a mystery, but seems probable, due to their integration into regular gameplay, within the offline game. To see more on these, and some other vehicles, check out this PSOW section (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2371)!

4.26: Can we jump?
A: Nope! Not from what we've seen. However, it appears you are able to lift yourself from the floor briefly, in pre-scripted movements, through the use of Photon Arts.

4.27: Will rare weapons from PSO return in PSU?
A: Currently, this is unknown, but given Sonic Team's love for all things nostalgic, seems likely. From what we've seen, the basic weapon 'types' from PSO are present in PSU (saber, sword, double saber, cane, and so forth), with some new additions. So it may just be possible.

4.28: So, is there actually anything else to do, other than kill baddies?
A: Recently, more information has been revealed on 'SEED', the mysterious entity that plagues the Graal system. To counter the growing infestation of the SEED, the Guardians have developed new weapons, the 'Photon Eraser' and the 'Photon Reflector'. With these special items, one will be able to weaken SEED infestations, and leave them vulnerable to attack. This information was also coupled with the revelation that we may be able to use 'goggles' and other similar items, with which to locate these areas of infestation, or other areas rich with Photon energy.

One can only fathom, that this will lead to new 'treasure hunt' type quests, or missions with objectives other than 'Go to X and kill Y'.

### - 5. Everything Else - ###

5.1: Will PSU support Progressive Scan on the PS2 version, for HDTVs?
A: It has been stated in a recent developer interview, that the PS2 version of PSU will NOT support Progressive Scan modes, sadly.

5.2: Will the European release of PSU on the PS2 feature a 50/60hz option?
A: No information has been released on such, but it would be extremely foolish if Sega did not! Even PSO managed it back in the day!

5.3: Can we expect to see the return of any characters from the rest of the Phantasy Star series within PSU?
A: No one can be sure, but Sega and Sonic Team appear to be having a ball with the design of PSU. So, I'm sure we'll see a truckload of references upon release.

5.4: Where can I view PSU videos, images, or trailers?
A: A plethora of media on PSU is available on both the official website at phantasystaruniverse.com, or within the appropriate sections within PSO-World's PSU section (http://www.pso-world.com/psu.php).

5.5: Is there an official PSU website, in English?
A: http://www.sega.com/games/game_temp.php?game=psu

Currently, this is the closest the English speaking community has to an official site. As release date dawns on the west, it is likely a less lacklustre site will appear.

5.6: Is there any kind of a 'developer's log' viewable for PSU?
A: If you have a Sega Link account (see question 1.http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif, you can infact view Takao Miyoshi's blog through Sega Link! After logging in, simply click here (http://segalink.jp/myhp/takao), and click the the blue box next to the highlighted orange one, above Takao's Sega Link avatar (thanks goes to Parn and EspioKaos). Here you can view all manner of development tidbits!

5.7: Waaaah, why is PSU not on the Gamecube or Xbox?! This sucks!!
A: Who knows? Maybe all the Gamecube and Xbox consoles in Japan blew up all at once. There's nothing much we can really do about it, so whining won't really get us anywhere!

5.8: Will there be a vocal theme in PSU? Who is going to sing it?
A: The vocal theme of PSU, titled 'Save This World', will be sung by Kelli Sae (http://www.kellisae.com), an American artist, in English. According to Kelli, she was asked to do two different recordings for Sega. The melody of one song, used frequently in trailers and such, seems to be prevalent throughout other music pieces revealed thus far. The second track has yet to be revealed.

5.9: Is there a PSU OST? When will it be released?
A: Currently, the only announced audio release for PSU, has been in the form of a 'Symphony Sessions' CD. The release date is most likely prone to change due to PSU's ever changing release date. You can pre-order the CD, through CDJapan, here (http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=WWCA-31115).

5.10: Will PSOW users form a designated 'block', so I can play with other members online?
A: I'm sure that the userbase of PSOW will congregate in an online area with which to dance and make merry with each other.

5.11: PSU IZ TEH SUXX0RZ AND GET H4KKED!!
A: That's not even a question!

5.12: Karen is hot!!
A: And neither is that!

5.13: What official resources are there for PSU?
A: A few! You can check out the following for more official information and media:

Official JP PSU site: http://phantasystaruniverse.com
Official NA PSU site: http://www.sega.com/games/game_temp.php?game=psu
Official EU PSU site: http://www.sega-europe.com/en/Game/176.htm
Sega PR FTP (English): ftp://segapr.segaamerica.com/SEGA_GAMES/Phantasy%20Star%20Universe/

Most updates regarding PSU are pretty much guaranteed to appear in some shape or form here on PSO-World (http://www.pso-world.com/search.php?query=&topic=14), either on-site or in the dedicated PSU forum (http://www.pso-world.com/viewforum.php?forum=20&6851), so be sure to check back frequently!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lovejuice on 2006-03-01 23:56 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2006-05-06 15:02 ]</font>

Dhylec
Dec 6, 2005, 08:18 PM
Well, I won't question the accuracy of these questions & anwsers, since we are still in the pre-release phase, but I think this is a good addition to the small PSU FAQs PSOW has. I'll have it sticked so that everyone can see & help to correct & update along the way, as more information becomes available.

uhawww
Dec 7, 2005, 09:42 AM
Ordering update:

Hong Kong-based online import store Play-Asia (http://www.playasia.com) has opened pre-ordering for both PS2 and PC version of the game. They ship internationally via EMS, DHL, or UPS 2-Day. As of now, this is the only location pre-orders can be made for shipping outside of Japan, though I'm more than certain more retailers will follow suit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uhawww on 2005-12-07 07:03 ]</font>

Junito
Feb 26, 2006, 10:04 PM
Will the old weapons be in PSU

Ryna
Feb 27, 2006, 01:48 PM
On 2006-02-26 19:04, Junito wrote:
Will the old weapons be in PSU

We know that several of the basic weapon types from PSO will be in PSU (sabers, swords, etc...). However, no one knows whether any of the rare weapons from PSO will make an appearance. You will probably see a few of them.

Wolv
Mar 7, 2006, 03:56 PM
Sorry if this was mentioned in the post, but will there be an offline multiplayer mode like PSO?

Jehosaphaty
Mar 7, 2006, 04:29 PM
On 2006-03-07 12:56, Wolv wrote:
Sorry if this was mentioned in the post, but will there be an offline multiplayer mode like PSO?

see section 2.2. If you would have taken the few minutes to read it in the first place, you would've found that info easily.

BORBAN
Mar 22, 2006, 04:07 PM
There are a whole lot of questions I have for them but most will be answered with the release.

Falcon1992
Mar 28, 2006, 06:46 AM
will the old weapons or some be in the new game

Ryna
Mar 28, 2006, 09:21 AM
On 2006-03-28 03:46, Falcon1992 wrote:
will the old weapons or some be in the new game

At this point, we do not know about rare weapons. Similar weapon-types (sabers, swords, handguns) from PSO will be in Phantasy Star Universe.

Ryna
May 6, 2006, 04:57 PM
Since this FAQ thread hasn't been updated in a while, I am going to desticky and lock it. The FAQ in the PSOW section will continued to be updated (it was just updated today). You can find it here:

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2368

If anyone else is interested in helping update the FAQ or creating a new one, please send me a Private Message.