PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 2 Hard Drive ????

Darrell
Dec 7, 2005, 02:23 PM
Can anyone tell me if they are going to use the hardrive on the PS2 to cut down loading times and that would be a big bonus.

Kano-Okami
Dec 7, 2005, 02:28 PM
PSU has no plans of using the PS2 harddrive.

uhawww
Dec 7, 2005, 03:20 PM
...in fact, Sony has ceased all support for the HDD, so you will probably not see any more PS2 games use it at all.

Ancient
Dec 7, 2005, 04:07 PM
Sony panicked when they found out people were using their hard drive to simply make backups of games so they wouldnt have to buy them. And suddenly the idea of a large hard drive attachment didnt seem so great. Funny that Microsoft hasnt had too great a problem with it. I guess because in order to do funky things with an Xbox you have to do all sorts of crazy mods and stuff, which are then detectable by Live and can get you booted. PS2's only require a gameshark or something simple to hack.
Hopefully the PS3's setup will be better able to keep hacking out. I'm not saying the Xbox is hacker proof, but you gotta admit its much less of a problem on the system.

OdinTyler
Dec 7, 2005, 04:33 PM
Damn shame the HDD went to hell. Had potential but was used SO wrong. Somehow, Microsoft is making it work for X360. Only time can tell with that. I just disagreed with the fact that FFXI required the use of an HDD. Who are they to tell me that? It should be an OPTION for extra storage, period. S'ok by me. Server side saving, extra stuff on mem card. Ive been through online on PS2 before. Im not worried...much. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

uhawww
Dec 7, 2005, 04:42 PM
...very true.
In addition, now that I think about it, the PS3 is supposed to continue the tradition of PlayStation backwards compatability...and it comes bundled with a HDD...

If compatability hold true, this makes me think they might plan on offering additional content downloads to PS3 owners...
just a thought.

OdinTyler
Dec 9, 2005, 03:28 PM
PS3 has a HDD? So do they really think its gonna compete with the X360? If so, hardware wars stand to be crazy in 2006.

_Tek_
Dec 9, 2005, 06:58 PM
i compare psu to gta-sa in terms of loading, without having a harddrive, which both games probably could've used well.

OdinTyler
Dec 10, 2005, 11:22 AM
I think PSU will be fine without the HDD. If they can pull off all this without the HDD, Im sure the game will be more amazing than we even realize. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Tomeeboy
Dec 12, 2005, 12:13 AM
I think our only use of the HD for PSU will be to make room on our memory cards for crucial patches or updates http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I've seen first person shooters on the PS2 use up a major chunk of an 8MB memory card for patches, so let's hope they will be able to implement a lot of server-side patches and fixes for any problems that crop up in PSU.

OdinTyler
Dec 12, 2005, 04:45 PM
If PSU is run anything like EQOA, this is how it will go:

1. The only thing stored on your memory card is your personal acct info, ISP info, & other such necessary tidbits to access your chars online.

2. All chars are saved server-side (we already know this is true in PSU).

3. All patches, updates, etc. are also done & saved online. Info is accessed via the game disc & with write-ups for scenarios, the final info is added to & saved on the server. If its time-oriented, the material is removed when the admins deem so.

The smart way to go about this is to purchase a new memory card. This is true especially if you intend to have more than 1 char, plan to spend alot of time on this game, & youre probably already a PS2 game owner & could use more space regardless.