PDA

View Full Version : Did you believe in Santa when you were younger?

InfinityXXX
Dec 10, 2005, 07:36 PM
Well did you? And how did you find out he wasn't real?

I use to believe in him. I'll make and put out cookies, cake, and milk on the table for Christmas eve and the next day they'll be gone.(it was my dad)

But my belief in Santa Clause was shattered at an early age. When I was 5 me and my uncle(who was eight yrs old) got into a fight and he told me santa wasn't real........that was a sad day.

But another question, how old is to old to believe in Santa?

Edit: I also wanna add, Did any of yall's parents tell you if you didn't go to bed Santa would put ash in your eye?

My grandparents told me that mess and I'll be hiding in my covers, scared, forcing myself to go to sleep.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2005-12-10 19:56 ]</font>

Deathscythealpha
Dec 10, 2005, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I really looked forward to actually trying to see Santa, and I put my Mum through a hard time trying to work the guy out.

"Mum, if Father Christmas always coems down the chimney, how can he get through our one?" (we had a closed off Gas fire)

"He has a special key..."

Sadly, when I was 7 some kids at school found out he wasnt real and ruined it for everyone. I tried to keep it alive for a bit longer, but it was just super denial *sigh*.

I think 10 would have to be the oldest someone could get away with still believing. By that age its probably crueler not letting the child know he's fake.

rena-ko
Dec 10, 2005, 08:24 PM
i grew up in a santa-less world...

Skuda
Dec 10, 2005, 08:26 PM
I did some sleuthing when I was wee, and discovered that Santa's handwriting was oddly similar to my mother's.

The jig was up!

ABDUR101
Dec 10, 2005, 08:28 PM
I think it was very early for me, five or six. It was just an easy connection to make, my parents asked me what I wanted, and it would be December 10th and there'd already be gifts appearing under the tree, as well as being told not to look when mom would come home from shopping.

At around age 7, it was more like a slap to my intelligence when mom would ask me what I wanted Santa to bring me. I'd continue the routine of telling her what I wanted, but any reference to "Santa will have to see what he can do" was just an annoyance to me.

EphekZ
Dec 10, 2005, 08:44 PM
Yea..when I was about maybe 5-6 I wanted rollerblades really badly...then one time I saw in the trunk of the car a gift for me from santa...oddly enough I still believed >_>

though I dont remeber how i stopped beleiving.

Kent
Dec 10, 2005, 08:48 PM
We weren't told lies about Santa, the Stork, or that stuff. Our parents gave it to us straight; we just follow St. Nick's example, and give gifts of good will to each other, instead of looking forward to freebies.

Wyndham
Dec 10, 2005, 09:08 PM
i figured it out, but i cant remember how.

Eihwaz
Dec 10, 2005, 09:13 PM
I never really found out, but after a while, I started putting things together, like how tired my parents always seemed on Christmas morning, no matter how early they went to bed. I'm not really sure when I stopped believing, though.

zwandude15
Dec 10, 2005, 09:42 PM
I still believed in 4th grade, although i dont remember how i stopped.... I remember one year my aunt got me Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask which i had opened on christmas eve, and quite frankly, i stayed up late playing it. It was about then when i started to hear my parents telling me that if i didnt go to bed santa wouldn't come.

Daikarin
Dec 11, 2005, 01:38 PM
A long time ago, I wanted to find out, so I hid myself in the bathroom once, and closed the door shut. This bathroom was right next to the place where we placed our tree, and I stood there to pretend I was doing business in there. Actually I was waiting for someone. Probably not Santa Claus, but the reason of all the speculation. Time went by, and I sat down there doing nothing, if someone came in (other than my parents, of course) I would just say "I'm in here".

When I heard footsteps, I rushed to the door, and leaned my ear to it: My parents. If they found me out, I would really get some, being up that late. My dad opened the door of the bathroom, and I hid behind some hanging towels, which nearly reached the floor. He didn't turn on the light either, so he couldn't also see me because it was dark.

My mom stayed outside fussing with some packages while my father was doing toilet business, with me nearly pissing my pants as well, thinking about if I were found out.

Then, they both left, that was when I found out the truth behind all of it.

I guess I felt happy in a way, since I solved another problem.

When I was a kid, I wanted to believe in anything beyond our comprehension. (I guess I'm still like that). One thing's for sure, if I ever have kids I'll never let the figure it out that easily.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Daikarin on 2005-12-11 10:40 ]</font>

Ian D
Dec 11, 2005, 04:12 PM
The worst thing that ever happened to me was on Christmas. Oh, God. It was so horrible. It was Christmas Eve. I was 9 years old. Me and Mom were decorating the tree... waiting for Dad to come home from work. A couple hours went by. Dad wasn't home. So Mom called the office. No answer. Christmas Day came and went, and still nothing. So the police began a search. Four or five days went by. Neither one of us could eat or sleep. Everything was falling apart. It was snowing outside. The house was freezing, so I went to try to light up the fire. That's when I noticed the smell. The firemen came and broke through the chimney top. And me and Mom were expecting them to pull out a dead cat or a bird. And instead they pulled out my father. He was dressed in a Santa Claus suit. He'd been climbing down the chimney... his arms loaded with presents. He was gonna surprise us. He slipped and broke his neck. He died instantly.

And that's how I found out there was no Santa Claus.

Niki
Dec 11, 2005, 04:29 PM
No, but for a short time i used to believe Jason Voorhees lived under my bed.

Allos
Dec 11, 2005, 05:18 PM
I was an avid believer in the guy until roughly 3rd grade, when some of my friends began doubting his reality. Next year I read a Calvin and Hobbes comic in which Calvin hears Santa downstairs and the next panel shows his parents putting presents under the tree. The next day I found a present lying around that was for me from Santa and it wasn't even Christmas eve yet...I had broken the code.

Madzozs
Dec 11, 2005, 05:39 PM
On 2005-12-11 13:12, Ian D wrote:
The worst thing that ever happened to me was on Christmas. Oh, God. It was so horrible. It was Christmas Eve. I was 9 years old. Me and Mom were decorating the tree... waiting for Dad to come home from work. A couple hours went by. Dad wasn't home. So Mom called the office. No answer. Christmas Day came and went, and still nothing. So the police began a search. Four or five days went by. Neither one of us could eat or sleep. Everything was falling apart. It was snowing outside. The house was freezing, so I went to try to light up the fire. That's when I noticed the smell. The firemen came and broke through the chimney top. And me and Mom were expecting them to pull out a dead cat or a bird. And instead they pulled out my father. He was dressed in a Santa Claus suit. He'd been climbing down the chimney... his arms loaded with presents. He was gonna surprise us. He slipped and broke his neck. He died instantly.

You were in the Gremlins movies?

Jive18
Dec 11, 2005, 05:44 PM
On 2005-12-11 14:18, Allos wrote:
I was an avid believer in the guy until roughly 3rd grade, when some of my friends began doubting his reality. Next year I read a Calvin and Hobbes comic in which Calvin hears Santa downstairs and the next panel shows his parents putting presents under the tree. The next day I found a present lying around that was for me from Santa and it wasn't even Christmas eve yet...I had broken the code.

As I've learned throughout my life, Calvin and Hobbes can teach you everything if you allow it http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif.

Anyways, I think I stopped believing in Santa when I was either 8 or 9. My parents had done a good job when I was younger, using different handwriting on packages that were addressed from the fat guy, etc. As good as my mom and dad were at concealing the truth, there was one thing they couldn't prevent: me from watching tv. This has to be the stupidest way of learning that Santa was fake, but I was watching the midday news on abc one day and they briefly covered the top ways for parents to tell their kids that Santa is not real. How the hell did they expect for only adults to be watching the news during a weekend?

After I experienced the fact that "the truth hurts", I started noticing my parents' once-clever attempts in keeping Santa alive. My grandma also had a mess-up in asking me if everything she put in my stocking was alright. She quickly added in Santa, but by that time I had long stopped believing. Oh well.

Ian D
Dec 11, 2005, 05:48 PM
On 2005-12-11 14:39, Madzozs wrote:

You were in the Gremlins movies?

;D

Madzozs
Dec 11, 2005, 05:48 PM
I found out Santa didn't exist when I awoke one night to see Chuck Norris himself putting something in a bag. I asked him to spare my life and tell me why he was in my house. He said he saw some guy trying to get into my house through the chimney...so he killed him for me. From that day on, all the parents in the world were forced to tell their kids they were Santa.

Derek0660
Dec 11, 2005, 06:01 PM
On 2005-12-10 17:48, Kent wrote:
We weren't told lies about Santa, the Stork, or that stuff. Our parents gave it to us straight; we just follow St. Nick's example, and give gifts of good will to each other, instead of looking forward to freebies.

Man, that's the way to do it.

I am only 13, so "Santa" still brings presents for me.

But my parennts know that I know he isn't real.

*at Toys 'R Us*

Mom: OK, Derek. You didn't see these presents
(the presents were for my sis)
Me: OK. Gotcha.
Mom: Ho ho ho, if you kmow what I mean.

Daikarin
Dec 11, 2005, 06:56 PM

That's horrible. I can't begin to imagine your reaction. You have my condolences, altough it shouldn't sting you that much now, right?

Zelutos
Dec 11, 2005, 08:20 PM
I let my parents believe that i did..however when they randomly get up in the middle of the night and are supposed to be wrapping gifts from santa, yet making enough noise to wake me up, doesn't count as a old fat magic d00d.

TheOneHero
Dec 11, 2005, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I belived in him for awhile; can't remember when I knew he wasn't real.

See, my parents would get us gifts, and call us when they finished wrapping; we'd put the gifts under the tree ourselves. However, there was still the 'Santa Gifts'. Which would appear sometime during the night and after we had all gone to bed. These gifts were unwrapped and usually sat next to our filled stockings.

One of the kids in my family would be "blue-toes"* which would basically stay up and be Santa's helper in putting out the 'Santa Gifts'. I think it was my first year (around 8 or so) when I was "blue-toes" that I learned Santa wasn't real. Maybe a little early, it's been awhile.

To keep Santa alive in me, my parents didn't put out my 'Santa Gift' until I had gone to bed.

*Blue-toes was actually a tradition my eldest brother thought of. Basically, the story goes this kid was at the north pole, frozen to a crisp when Santa found him. He brought him inside, and did his best to warm him up, but his toes forever stayed blue because of the cold. He later became one of Santa's special helpers.

Each year we alternate who gets to be blue-toes. Oldest to youngest.

It's actually one of my favorite traditions.

Edit*

On 2005-12-11 15:56, Daikarin wrote:

That's horrible. I can't begin to imagine your reaction. You have my condolences, altough it shouldn't sting you that much now, right?

I'm positive that didn't happen Daik. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
It was in the movie 'Gremlins', pretty much word for word.

I actually believed it for a moment, until the third or fourth sentence. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Edit2* Changed a word.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheOneHero on 2005-12-11 18:55 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheOneHero on 2005-12-13 07:28 ]</font>

eXo
Dec 12, 2005, 01:10 AM
yes i believe in santa

eXo
Dec 12, 2005, 01:11 AM
Wait WTF OMg you people think that santa is not real whats wrong with you?

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

fronebullare
Dec 12, 2005, 02:53 PM

that must have been disturbing to your young mind. I'm sorry to here it(^_-) .As for me I never belived in santa considering how dangerously close it was to satan

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fronebullare on 2005-12-12 12:01 ]</font>

goku4ever
Dec 12, 2005, 04:57 PM
On 2005-12-10 17:48, Kent wrote:

so when your parents told you about sex they gave it to you straight? ack poor you...

"so then I take your mum stick my penis into her vagina..."

I feel for you...

Derek0660
Dec 12, 2005, 05:12 PM

God, I would have belived you too http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

InfinityXXX
Dec 12, 2005, 09:51 PM
I almost feel for that Ian D, up until the last sentence,lol,..now I wanna see that movie.