PDA

View Full Version : If FFXI is coming to Xbox 360, could PSU?

Skorpius
Dec 12, 2005, 03:26 PM
might be something to think about. Square-Enix is making a port of FFXI for the Xbox 360. I don't know if the 360 version would connect with the PS2/PC servers, but it is something interesting.

Thoughts?

OdinTyler
Dec 12, 2005, 04:38 PM
Nope. Nada. No dice. Zip. Zilch. Uh-uh. Aint gonna happen. What ST said goes, its their game. PSU is PS2 & PC...period.

Tomeeboy
Dec 12, 2005, 04:54 PM
If the game does really well on PS2 and PC and there is high demand for it to be on other consoles, you never know... but it's doubtful http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Now, they could very well come out with PSU v2 or something and release that on next-gen consoles... we all know their history of 'recycling' games to be released on other systems.

OdinTyler
Dec 12, 2005, 04:56 PM
If thats the case, then, yeah it could happen. Should we just avoid talking about this? I mean, so many ppl believe its coming on all types of systems (including Dreamcast). The sad fact is: ppl dont take the time to read what systems its ACTUALLY coming out on & just waste energy, hoping in vain. If you dont have the system a game is on, get it. If you dont, its something you gotta live with. Just how it is...

watashiwa
Dec 12, 2005, 06:36 PM
Err, I believe it was stated in an interview (I think it was even linked on this site), that the lead developer is considering PSU on one of the next-gen systems.

So, it really isn't "PS2 and PC, period" It will most likely be developed for at least one more system.

Nisshoku
Dec 12, 2005, 06:52 PM
I'd personally rather have it PSU for the Revolution, than the XBox 360. But then again, that must be because of my hatred of Microsoft. (Yeah, I know I'm a hypocrite, as I'm using Windows. XP)

OdinTyler
Dec 12, 2005, 09:22 PM
If an ST developer mentioned it, hes only feeding into the media machine. The ORIGINAL versions arent even out yet. Its WAY too premature to even speculate on versions on other systems. Can we wait...Idk...a year or so to say if it will be on another system? Let the PS2 & PC have their run & see how it goes. If ppl want in, theyll get one of those versions. No sense hoping it will come out for another system, only to be let down. Devs shouldnt speculate either without any type of concrete info. Thats just not right to the fans & doing as such, I cant agree to.

DizzyDi
Dec 12, 2005, 09:29 PM
I doubt PSU are going to be going to anyother systems, but thats just me. I read in an article on 1up.com that ST chose PS@ & PC because they both have a high user base, so that way its pretty much gaurenteed that people are gunna buy and pay for the online game. If they made it for GC...Not so much. XBOX, possibly but, and this is just my opinion, most poeple play XBL just for Halo.

OdinTyler
Dec 12, 2005, 09:33 PM
Diz, Ive been trying to explain this to ppl & they just dont care to listen. LOL We're hungry for info, I just wish ppl would just accept the info we ARE getting. Debates are for the 'what if' items, not the 'what we know' items.

Sinue_v2
Dec 12, 2005, 10:06 PM
Phantasy Star Universe (or at least a version of it) will be ported to some form of next-generation hardware. I can guantee you that.

Parn
Dec 12, 2005, 10:10 PM
If a port happened, it'd make the most sense for it to be on the Xbox 360. PlayStation 3 would be redundant given that the console is backwards compatible with PlayStation 2, and Revolution is too busy being "different" that I don't think they'd be able to effectively change the controls to make it work with that remote controller.

Para
Dec 12, 2005, 10:32 PM
it might not need to be configured for the revolution controller you know...
SEGA could make you use the GC controller format to play the game... one more reason nintendo might be interested in getting sega onboard on developing psu for Rev.

Parn
Dec 12, 2005, 10:53 PM
Here's the thing though... does PSU utilize all of the PlayStation 2 controller's buttons? I honestly don't know the answer to that question as I have not played the game, demo or otherwise. However, if it does... then that leaves Nintendo out to pasture.

Tomeeboy
Dec 13, 2005, 12:07 AM
On 2005-12-12 19:53, Parn wrote:
Here's the thing though... does PSU utilize all of the PlayStation 2 controller's buttons? I honestly don't know the answer to that question as I have not played the game, demo or otherwise. However, if it does... then that leaves Nintendo out to pasture.

I think that perhaps Jonathan had made a post a while back about the controls in PSU... I know I've seen info about them somewhere.

Cross
Dec 13, 2005, 05:29 AM
On 2005-12-12 19:10, Parn wrote:
If a port happened, it'd make the most sense for it to be on the Xbox 360. PlayStation 3 would be redundant given that the console is backwards compatible with PlayStation 2, and Revolution is too busy being "different" that I don't think they'd be able to effectively change the controls to make it work with that remote controller.

Agreed completely on the Revolution; I'm not sure I'd discount the PS3 just because it has backwards compatability though. A port to a next-gen console would likely be a PC-quality port, and for those with HDTVs it would be worth buying an upgraded version for the PS3 even if it could also run the PS2 version. Another point against the Revolution is that it's said to be 'not much more powerful than an Xbox' with no HD support at all, so a Revolution port would be closer to the PS2 version than the PC version, and not really all that enticing.

Mind you, both the 360 and the PS3 could run the game at 720p widescreen mode just fine, so it's not like the PS3's got a huge advantage there (ie: It's more powerful but it really wouldn't matter for PSU).
The Xbox 360 does seem like the most likely candidate for a next-gen port, though. It has the strongest focus on online play by far, and if PSU takes off immediately it will already be on the market for a few months by the time they're really thinking about ports.

Either way, if they port it to the 360 or PS3 with a 720p/1080i widescreen mode, I'll snap that up in an instant, so I hope they eventually do it. It's good that they're thinking about it; I'm not really expecting it to happen though.

Parn
Dec 13, 2005, 07:18 AM
Good point on the higher resolution for PS3... totally slipped my mind. I keep forgetting that the PS2 version is going to lose the clarity that the PC version will have.

OdinTyler
Dec 13, 2005, 09:45 AM
Yes, PSU does make use of all the buttons. In fact, depending on what youre doing, you hold one button while pressing another. Its a serious learning curve, control wise, but, you can pull off some pretty cool stuff. Apparently, if its going to keep being mentioned that PSU will be on other systems (tho I maintain its STILL too premature to say so), its going to have to be on a controller with as many buttons as a PS2. I like the idea of being able to use GC controls on a Revolution. Theyd need a new controller just for PSU as that remote one wont cut it for that.
ST clearly said theyre going for user base this time around. I doubt theyre going to go with Nintendo again, but, as we've seen, anything is possible. With all the hype done back in Oct, a likely candidate is X360. Ive seen some demos for it. I even played the X360 recently. The graphics on it are just nuts!

DeathMachine
Dec 13, 2005, 11:46 AM
Are they "nucking futs?" http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif As good as a PC? Will it be worth it to put it on the 360 when NO japanese gamers will purchase one?

What was the copywrite for "nucking futs?"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DeathMachine on 2005-12-13 08:48 ]</font>

Cross
Dec 13, 2005, 12:40 PM
I wouldn't really say that "NO Japanese gamers will purchase one". The 360 is poised to do much better in Japan than its predecessor. From a fairly recent survey at TGS asking which consoles people intended to buy (6-12 chopped off for irrelevancy):

1. PlayStation 3 - 71.8%
2. PSP - 35.7%
3. Xbox 360 - 23.0%
4. Revolution - 20.9%
5. Nintendo DS - 13.7%

And another survey by Famitsu specifically about the 360:

Do you plan to buy the Xbox 360? (for Customers)
14.6% - Yes, in any case
23.8% - Probably, I will think about it
15.6% - Yes, but not in this year
46.0% - No, it doesn't interest me

While it's not going to do anything miraculous like topple Sony, that's not bad compared to the first Xbox, and if the first survey is accurate it's got a shot at beating Nintendo out, which is downright impressive compared to their previous showing.

Aside from that, Japan is hardly the biggest market for games. From a profitability standpoint, the market to grab is North America as it's much, much bigger than Japan. Not to discount the argument that they could be biased toward their home region, but logically they'll have a sizable market on the 360 in North America. Not really a bad bet for them either, since if the PS3's backwards compatability lets PS3 owners play the game online, then they've got a potential market of likely upwards of 85% of North American console gamers (ie: Anyone who will own an Xbox 360, PS2 and/or PS3).

Edit: As far as "as good as a PC" goes regarding the 360 and PS3, it's fairly true as far as PSU goes. PSU has low system requirements; I could run it on a five year old PC I've got sitting around. My modern machine is leagues better, and the 360 is on par with that. The PS3 will be more powerful once it's released.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cross on 2005-12-13 09:42 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Dec 13, 2005, 02:33 PM
On 2005-12-13 08:46, DeathMachine wrote:
Are they "nucking futs?" http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif As good as a PC? Will it be worth it to put it on the 360 when NO japanese gamers will purchase one?

What was the copywrite for "nucking futs?"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DeathMachine on 2005-12-13 08:48 ]</font>

Nucking futs is a copyrighted trademark of Odin Tyler Exports Ltd.

(Its from a post from awhile ago, in case you were wondering. PhruitBaskit was my witness aka Notary Public to this)

As for the X360, its true Xbox hasnt done well in Japan at all. Perhaps its because its an American system, an American company behind it. Maybe Japan sticks to Japanese only systems for the most part, who knows? It has to be taken under serious consideration whether to import PSU to the X360. Otherwise, there could be another repeat & I dont think thats something MS wants as theyre REALLY trying to hype their new system here.

DamonKatu
Dec 13, 2005, 02:48 PM
SCARY ANDROID!! ARGH!! *shoots it with a shotgun* is it dead??

We are still not sure if this game is going to the other systems but we deffentlly know this is the battle of the systems. back to you Kafie-

*back in the news room*
Kafie: thank you very much. Later on,we have two NEW pages are up for translation at PSO World today that explanes the rides that are avalible on PSU. Coming up next is the weather, joe?

Joe: ITS GAGA SNOW!!! KAFIE.

Kafie: thanks, joe. Good luck at the football game tonight. We will be right back after these messages.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DamonKatu on 2005-12-13 11:54 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Dec 13, 2005, 03:28 PM
Ummmm ok...& this was about what, exactly? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

DeathMachine
Dec 13, 2005, 09:55 PM
Was he shooting me or the 360?

OdinTyler
Dec 14, 2005, 01:39 AM
Idk, I think Damon's in his/her own world right now. Just slowly walk away. No sudden movements. Dont wanna disturb the...uh...episode? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif