PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Confusion

Jive18
Dec 12, 2005, 07:18 PM
Hey everybody. So lately I've been pondering over whether or not I should grab a PS2 for PSU, and I'm settled on getting it now in case my parents can't upgrade our PC before the game's arrival. Getting a PS2 also gives me advantages such as playing DDR, GT4, and a boatload of rpg's http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif. Now onto my main concerns:

I know that the PS2 HDD will not be needed to play PSU online, but since I know nothing more about the PS2, I was just wondering how I will be able to go online with it? Will it be similar to Gamecube in terms of connecting? Also, I was wondering if I should get the new version of PS2, since the old bulky model's HDD will not be needed?

Eventually I may be playing PSU on my PC, but for now I need to get some information on PS2's online connectivity. Answers to any/all of these questions are greatly appreciated, thanks.

EspioKaos
Dec 12, 2005, 07:30 PM
If you get one of the old, large PS2s, you'll have to buy a network adaptor in order to play online. If you go for one of the slim PStwos, the network adaptor is already built in, so you're good to go. You just need a broadband connection to go from there.

OdinTyler
Dec 12, 2005, 09:11 PM
I highly recommend getting a newer PS2. Not only are they nice & compact (about the size of a folder & not too much thicker) they run a bit better. My PS2 (unfortunately) is one of the ones with Disc Read Errors & the sort, so, I have to get a new one ASAP. Also, its entirely your call, but, I recommend getting a mem card just for PSU. I know Ill be investing in one. Theres no telling how many chars can be saved & if youre like the rest of us, youll be on PSU alot. For all we know, we'll need the space for acct info or updates. This & what Espio said is pretty much what you need to get started.

EspioKaos
Dec 12, 2005, 09:42 PM
On 2005-12-12 18:11, OdinTyler wrote:
I highly recommend getting a newer PS2. Not only are they nice & compact (about the size of a folder & not too much thicker) they run a bit better. My PS2 (unfortunately) is one of the ones with Disc Read Errors & the sort, so, I have to get a new one ASAP.
Yeah, I agree. That's a great reason to get one of the slim PStwos over the original model PS2. Though the newer models are still known to fall victim to the infamous disc read error, from my experience, they don't have the problem nearly as much as the original model. That's the reason that I plan on getting the thin PStwo for this game. Still, I'm going to be getting an extended warranty on the system. Just in case.

OdinTyler
Dec 12, 2005, 09:48 PM
1. I heard the main problem with the new slim PS2s is an overheating problem. Basically, dont run your system for too long too often & that should help. The old systems you cant help. When theyre failing, theres not too much left you can do. Those are the ones that primarily have the disc errors.

2. Be VERY careful about extended warranties. Read all the fine print carefully. I say this because I used to be forced to have to sell those damn things & not everything that is stated is necessarily promised. I can tell ya all about them, if youre interested. Also know that when you sign one, youre not signing a warranty with the store. A 3rd party company actually is in charge of the warranty & they just work out a deal with retailers to provide the sale of the warranties, in house.

3. Products generally dont break down in the 1st year anyway so the manufacturer's warranty is pretty much pointless. Only for a true investment would I really consider a warranty: a computer, perhaps; a car, DEFINITELY. Sony should offer cash back to anyone who ever bought 1 of the crap systems thats now dead or dying. Send in a label from a system as proof & get a 50 dollar check or something. Not gonna happen, I know. But, its a good way to keep us from going to other systems. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

EspioKaos
Dec 12, 2005, 10:06 PM
On 2005-12-12 18:48, OdinTyler wrote:
1. I heard the main problem with the new slim PS2s is an overheating problem. Basically, dont run your system for too long too often & that should help. The old systems you cant help. When theyre failing, theres not too much left you can do. Those are the ones that primarily have the disc errors.
Right. Though, they don't even seem to be suffering from that too much anymore. When they first came out, at the store I work at, we had over 80% of our stock of the PStwos returned defective to us the same day we sold them because they were overheating or just not turning on. Recently, though, I can't recall having one returned for that reason.

On 2005-12-12 18:48, OdinTyler wrote:
2. Be VERY careful about extended warranties. Read all the fine print carefully. I say this because I used to be forced to have to sell those damn things & not everything that is stated is necessarily promised. I can tell ya all about them, if youre interested. Also know that when you sign one, youre not signing a warranty with the store. A 3rd party company actually is in charge of the warranty & they just work out a deal with retailers to provide the sale of the warranties, in house.
Oh, I know about them. I actually have to sell them on systems I sell at my store, so I know the details pretty well.

OdinTyler
Dec 13, 2005, 12:18 AM
Oh no you work for a gamestore? Thats both a blessing & a curse at the same time. I feel for ya. I used to work for...well, Ill say it was an office supplies store (I wont say which one cause I hate them with a Kefka-like passion). You dont even learn everything in the brochures. Unless youve sold them, you dont get told everything. I feel for ya, man. Its a pain to deal with that. Just make sure you get your commissions for that. Rack up the bonus cash so you can put it to important things...like PSU. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Jive18
Dec 13, 2005, 07:47 AM
"Thin" it is then http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif. Thanks a bunch Odin and Espio, you guys gave me pretty much everything I needed to know. Adios.

OdinTyler
Dec 13, 2005, 09:40 AM
Cool. Glad we could help. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I hope to be getting my replacement PS2 in the upcoming weeks. I have PS2 games to be working on & I need a new system so Im pretty much set up for when PSU comes out next year.

DeathMachine
Dec 13, 2005, 10:04 PM
It seems I have been cursed with an old PS2, and will need to buy a modem or a new system all together.

(Odin stole my Kefka reference)

OdinTyler
Dec 14, 2005, 01:37 AM
Bah. I probably knew about Kefka before you. Sure, you did make the joke & I admit, I did laugh about it. It was funny.