PDA

View Full Version : What don't you want to see?

fronebullare
Dec 17, 2005, 03:02 PM
What,do you think, will disapoint you most about PSU?(if whatever it may be is included.)
For me, I will be most upset if the audio sucks(voice overs,battle music,etc.)

Rion772
Dec 17, 2005, 03:27 PM
On 2005-12-17 12:19, fronebullare wrote:
really?....

Really really.

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=105095&forum=20&max_posts=91

That should be it, their pretty similiar.

Eclypse
Dec 17, 2005, 03:37 PM
That topic is called "One Thing You Could Change" this topic is "What Don't You Want To See" they aren't really similar.

I think if ST makes another PSO that would be really disappointing. This game REALLY needs a facelift so I am hoping that PSU brings some new air to a fading game in my opinion.

I'm really hoping that they are able to amke everything they have incorporated work nicely. I think they should keep updating the types of weapons as the game ages to keep a sort of newness to the game because lets be honest, not everyone gets rares the same. I myself tend to not worry about getting all the weapons, but focus on specific ones and after that is accomplished I left bored.

OdinTyler
Dec 17, 2005, 06:24 PM
As someone who's played a bit of PSU, I guarantee PSO will be dwarfed in comparison to PSU. Not that PSO is bad, but, PSU stands to have taken many steps to improve upon the series we already love. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Tomeeboy
Dec 17, 2005, 07:01 PM
I think the biggest concern of many players is that PSU will get overrun by cheating soon after its release. So, I'm hoping we don't see that http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Cross
Dec 17, 2005, 07:53 PM
I don't want to see the emphasis on a bunch of 'rare drops' that you have to put in dozens of hours of playtime to even hope to see, the way PSO was.

Make a game that's fun to play for its own sake rather than because you want to get the stupid carrot they're in front of your face (Higher levels! Better weapons! Blech.) and you'll make me happy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cross on 2005-12-17 16:54 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Dec 17, 2005, 09:17 PM
Hey Tom, do I have permission to whup their asses online if I catch em cheating? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif The Moon's Cry clan is a strictly cheat-free organization. We dont wanna be associated with those that would complicate gameplay for the masses.

DeathKnight
Dec 17, 2005, 11:03 PM
well, as far as what want/don't want to see in PSU in comparison to PSO is maybe some changes to the weapons. one thing that really irked me about PSO weapons was that the 2-handed Sword was nowhere near strong. it was weakened down to do less damage as its range was high enough to hit multiple enemies. just a small personal thing, that i hope they change that a bit >> but anyways, something i don't want to see just in general would be cheating i guess. can't think of too much other than what it looks like won't be a problem, well to me at least (graphics, control, sound, etc)

Eclypse
Dec 18, 2005, 12:15 AM
On 2005-12-17 20:03, DeathKnight wrote:
well, as far as what want/don't want to see in PSU in comparison to PSO is maybe some changes to the weapons. one thing that really irked me about PSO weapons was that the 2-handed Sword was nowhere near strong. it was weakened down to do less damage as its range was high enough to hit multiple enemies. just a small personal thing, that i hope they change that a bit >> but anyways, something i don't want to see just in general would be cheating i guess. can't think of too much other than what it looks like won't be a problem, well to me at least (graphics, control, sound, etc)

They weakened the swords because they would be way to powerful if they did even damage like Sabers. Example, the RED SWORD was a beast on my HUnewearl and it had no %'s in the types, only in the Hit which made me pretty much an PBAoE killer.

PrinceBrightstar
Dec 18, 2005, 12:21 AM
There's one thing I think we all can agree on...

Wedding Lobbies!

OdinTyler
Dec 18, 2005, 12:32 AM
Yep. If we find out an admin who puts those in, we have him/her fired on the spot!

SirAri
Dec 18, 2005, 12:50 AM
I heard about the whole pso marriage thing.

It seems kinda strange to me.

Although I cant figure out why you would be against it...

Blitzkommando
Dec 18, 2005, 01:03 AM
On 2005-12-17 21:50, SirAri wrote:
I heard about the whole pso marriage thing.

It seems kinda strange to me.

Although I cant figure out why you would be against it...

It's the music. The music during that time is an abomination to all that is sacred and holy.

As for me, I would hate to see it managed the way PSO was managed. I also realize that asking that not to happen would be like attempting to prevent the sun from rising.

OdinTyler
Dec 18, 2005, 01:04 AM
If you hear about it, you should understand. LOL A few points to keep in mind:

1. Weddings in PSO arent cool.
2. Weddings on any online game arent cool.
3. Weddings online happen in other places like chat rooms.
4. Its one thing to meet someone online. At least go meet them & marry them in person. You never know who youre marrying.
5. Why marry your chars which arent necessarily permanent in a ceremony that SHOULD stand for some sort of permanence? Marriage is for the player, not the avatar.

SirAri
Dec 18, 2005, 01:13 AM
If thats what they want to do, then why not let them?

It seems like role playing, basically.

Its not like an actual priest in real life is playing as a Level 23 Fonewman and marrying the two weirdos.

So its not even a real marriage.

If they feel close enough to do that, then why not let them?

I personally think it would be a fun idea to do with my real life girlfriend (when and if I force her to buy PSU and play online. XD), as we are both not old enough to actually get married, but are mature enough to understand the commitment.

DeathKnight
Dec 18, 2005, 01:26 AM
On 2005-12-17 21:15, Eclypse wrote:

On 2005-12-17 20:03, DeathKnight wrote:

They weakened the swords because they would be way to powerful if they did even damage like Sabers. Example, the RED SWORD was a beast on my HUnewearl and it had no %'s in the types, only in the Hit which made me pretty much an PBAoE killer.

yeah, i know about that. it was just a gripe of mine. i'd just have thought using a sword with 2 hands would effectively deal more damage then using a saber in one >.> all that aside i meant they should have maybe shortened the range and brought the damage up a bit. i'd have liked it, but it works the way they have it. it made an ok balance. in PSU i think they could risk it dealing more damage maybe even with the range, considering dual wielding will be available. otherwise it may not even be useful. i could see 2 sabers outpowering a 2 handed sword maybe, but not a single one. to (probably) quote spock "it's just not logical" http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Dec 18, 2005, 01:36 AM
I dont want to see a game that requires hours of commitment and teamwork if you plan on getting anywhere. Thats why I could NOT play ffxi... One of the many things I loved about PSO was that I could walk away from my team if I had an errand in real life and not have to feel like a deserter.
Also, I dont want to see every Newman ending up with the same stats at the end of the game. I want flexibility. I dont want to see every newman required to be a FO and every Android required to be a RA etc etc....
I also dont wanna see bastards doing the "getting hit" lobby animation behind my female character... That was a huge pet peeve of mine. ><

OdinTyler
Dec 18, 2005, 11:13 AM
Well, for one thing, you choose your race, not class. If you copy everyone else, thats kinda your decision. If you want to be a newman ranger or even (if it exists) an android force, go ahead. We dont know how stats are raised, but, you can at least choose what wep style to go with. As for the lobby animations, if youre not at your char, dont be online. Ppl do the weirdest things in front of your char when youre not there. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

DeathKnight
Dec 18, 2005, 03:47 PM
um, i don't know where you guys got it but why would an android be "required to be RA"? in my experience they were best as a hunter, which i used them as. RAcast in PSO was ok, yeah. but this is the second time i've heard it and as far as i remember androids had higher damage potential than anything else since they lacked any MST.

speaking of which are beasts supposed to have the highest ATP in PSU or something? i thought it'd be my good 'ol androids again but i haven't heard. has anybody? fill me in >.>

in addition i'd hope not every newman was a force, but its their racial strong suit, so i'd expect a lot more of them than hunters or something

Dre_o
Dec 18, 2005, 04:09 PM
I don't want the same foolish mindset of power for oneself over power for all and that sacraficing fun for power is good. PEOPLE LIKE THAT PISSED ME OFF.

And on the Sword over Saber thing think of it like this: With the Sword, it takes more energy over a wide area to keep that photon blade active than the Saber, thus making it weaker overall. And it's two handes, that means it is heavier, and harder to handle.

Kano-Okami
Dec 18, 2005, 04:30 PM
I believe this is basic for any online game but, I don't want to have to deal with hacking, EVER. I've lost an artillery of weapons and bankrupting amount of meseta due to over-zealous cretins with an AR. If ST can truly eliminate this, then I'd gladly accept any of the minor discomforts with that kind of great fortune.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kano-Okami on 2005-12-18 13:34 ]</font>

Miyoko
Dec 18, 2005, 04:59 PM
The one thing don't want to see is EXP loss on death, or any stupid penalty for dieing like that. PSO, Diablo 2, World of Warcraft, they all have good penalties for dieing. I hope it's something very light and doesn't derive from the overall gameplay.

KhaosKidd
Dec 18, 2005, 05:03 PM
yea like miyoko i dont want to hav that stupid penalty either

OdinTyler
Dec 18, 2005, 06:56 PM
Well, I tried discussing this with ppl long ago. No one can seem to come up with a decent death penalty for PSU. PSO's ones in the past havent been that great & in other games, they get downright MEAN! So, any ideas?

Cross
Dec 18, 2005, 07:04 PM
To date I don't think I've seen a better death penalty system than the one in Guild Wars. When you die, you temporarily lose 15% of your maximum Health and Energy (HP/TP in PS terms, although TP doesn't seem to be making a comeback). You gain 1% back every few hundred experience points, and you can get bonuses from 2% to 10% when you complete specific objectives (the bonuses can either wipe off your penalty or put you up to +10% if you have no penalty).
The penalty stacks when you die up to a total loss of 60%. It's also reset when you leave the current instance you're in to return to a lobby.

It works well because it makes you really want to not die, because the more you die, the harder it is to proceed. At the same time, though, it's not frustrating like it is in games where you lose experience (in some cases the last few hours of playing time) or drop your items (which can be even more depending on what you've got).
Making the player want to avoid dying as much as possible is cool, and so is a meaningful penalty. Rendering a day's worth (or an hour's worth, or five minutes' worth, as far as I'm concerned) of playing meaningless because of one careless death is just plain bad design.

OdinTyler
Dec 18, 2005, 07:06 PM
Idk if I can agree to that. LOL If you lose more & more life, you die easier so you accrue more 'debt.' How the hell do you get back to where you were? Youd need a dedicated group with you JUST to get back to where you were. Thats harsh...

F-o-x
Dec 18, 2005, 07:13 PM
On 2005-12-18 12:47, DeathKnight wrote:
um, i don't know where you guys got it but why would an android be "required to be RA"? in my experience they were best as a hunter, which i used them as. RAcast in PSO was ok, yeah. but this is the second time i've heard it and as far as i remember androids had higher damage potential than anything else since they lacked any MST.

speaking of which are beasts supposed to have the highest ATP in PSU or something? i thought it'd be my good 'ol androids again but i haven't heard. has anybody? fill me in >.>

in addition i'd hope not every newman was a force, but its their racial strong suit, so i'd expect a lot more of them than hunters or something

Casts are the race that does the best with guns in PSU. So in a way they are PSU's ranger. Although thats not saying you can't play them however you want http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I remember in another thread someone suggested a decrease in stats for a death penalty. It may have been just an HP/TP decrease but either way I like the idea. Not that I would mind an EXP hit upon death. When it means losing EXP it would couse people to be much more careful and in the end try to play better. No de-leveling like in FFXI though, that sucked.

Another idea was an EXP debt like in EQOA. I think this would be a decent idea too, as it doesn't really affect your total EXP directly, but its still a penalty (Every time you die you'd incur a certain amount of "EXP debt" and a portion of all your exp went towards this debt until it was paid off. Just an explanation to those who aren't familiar).

Cross
Dec 18, 2005, 07:15 PM
It caps out at 60%. At that point, you either start to play smartly and quit biting off more than you can chew until you manage to work yourself down a couple dozen percent. PSO has more player deaths than Guild Wars by an order of magnitude, though, so 15% wouldn't really work per death. 5% maybe.

And again, if you really get stuck you can wipe it out by going back to the lobby, although you'd have to restart your mission. However, to be fair, if PSU is like PSO where you can leave and join mid-session, the system wouldn't work as well, since you could leave and rejoin. Then again, the server could probably save death stats until the instance is over... Meh. Either way, I'm fairly certain that PSU's death penalty won't be like that. I'd imagine it'll be like PSO's.

Edit:

When it means losing EXP it would couse people to be much more careful and in the end try to play better.
I dunno, that works occasionally, but turn the penalty up too high and you risk going way beyond "you have to play carefully" into "do the absolute easiest thing possible with the least risk ever and who cares if it's boring JUST DON'T DIE BECAUSE ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN THAT".
FFXI was already a boring game, but it was made even worse by the heavy experience penalty. Even disregarding de-leveling, it was so heavy that every single second of the game was spent pussyfooting around with enemies that give such a pathetic challenge that you wouldn't even bother with them in any other game.

Edit 2: Actually, Experience Debt isn't that bad... I don't really like it, but I don't hate it the way I hate some other stuff. Just so long as it's capped at a relatively low amount. City of Heroes/Villains uses that system and it's not too horrible.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cross on 2005-12-18 16:19 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cross on 2005-12-18 16:21 ]</font>

DeathKnight
Dec 18, 2005, 07:27 PM
On 2005-12-18 16:13, F-o-x wrote:
Casts are the race that does the best with guns in PSU. So in a way they are PSU's ranger. Although thats not saying you can't play them however you want http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I remember in another thread someone suggested a decrease in stats for a death penalty. It may have been just an HP/TP decrease but either way I like the idea. Not that I would mind an EXP hit upon death. When it means losing EXP it would couse people to be much more careful and in the end try to play better. No de-leveling like in FFXI though, that sucked.

Another idea was an EXP debt like in EQOA. I think this would be a decent idea too, as it doesn't really affect your total EXP directly, but its still a penalty (Every time you die you'd incur a certain amount of "EXP debt" and a portion of all your exp went towards this debt until it was paid off. Just an explanation to those who aren't familiar).

oh, i know it'd never stop me from playing whatever i wanted. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif i was just curious where this came from, i didn't think casts were the best for guns myself, but whatever. personally, i don't really know what a good penalty would be. i've played Guild Wars so i could see how the % decrease would work but it was kinda annoying when trying to go through areas without returning to a town. i think an EXP loss or debt would be good, i could handle that but no way with the level loss. i hated FFXI for that -.-

OdinTyler
Dec 18, 2005, 07:29 PM
Oh trust me, if theres XP debt in PSU like there was in EQOA, Im gonna be VERY upset. You should see how much debt is at Lv60 in EQOA. Lets just say unless youve got some time on your hands, its gonna take a LONG time to clear that debt.

F-o-x
Dec 18, 2005, 07:33 PM
I dunno, that works occasionally, but turn the penalty up too high and you risk going way beyond "you have to play carefully" into "do the absolute easiest thing possible with the least risk ever and who cares if it's boring JUST DON'T DIE BECAUSE ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN THAT".

Oh no no NO. I don't want it to be anything like FFXI. I'm with you on that, if there is EXP debt don't make it so severe that no one will ever want to take any risks.

I came here to post something during my last post but I got so wrapped up in replying to others I totally forgot about it http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

The thing I don't want to see in the game is of course Cheating. When I played PSO BB one of the things I loved was being able to hop into open games and just play the game as it was meant to be played. I played it for 2 weeks and the worst I saw was a hacked symbol chat. I was in PSO gaming heaven. Please ST give me this gaming utopia in PSU.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-o-x on 2005-12-18 16:35 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Dec 18, 2005, 07:46 PM
Well, being that its gonna be on PS2 & PC, ppl are afraid for the hacking: AR on PS2 & flat out coding on PC. It cant be completely avoided. To think otherwise is only fooling yourself. However, admins need to be serious about this & really work on crisis control. Also, if they had beta testings we could catch onto bugs that we could let ST know about & then, have one less exploit for hackers. Oh well.

F-o-x
Dec 18, 2005, 07:56 PM
Oh and Odin, why would you care if you incured EXP debt at lv 60? Wasn't that the max level? Unless... well I guess if they upped the level cap you'd be screwed if you were millions of EXP in debt.

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Dec 18, 2005, 07:58 PM
How bout this for a death penalty? "when you die.... You have to hit the button to revive and then... you have to walk back through all the areas you already cleared out!" Thats an annoying enough penalty isnt it?

OdinTyler
Dec 18, 2005, 08:00 PM
Without turning this into an EQ forum (LOL), there was more to 60 than being at 60. You had to save up for other abilities, stat enhancers & the like. I tried to get some before 60 & sometimes that was tricky. Even at 60, it was rough. I basically got what I wanted on my 1 60, but, there was always work to do. The point Im trying to make is when you have a 50% XP debt, it gets to be a real hassle. If you have say 62mil debt, you need 124mil XP just to get out of debt. Not something easily done. LOL

F-o-x
Dec 18, 2005, 08:05 PM
How bout this for a death penalty? "when you die.... You have to hit the button to revive and then... you have to walk back through all the areas you already cleared out!" Thats an annoying enough penalty isnt it?

Hmm. When I first read that I was thinking "That wouldn't work as you could just get someone to pipe you back" When actually if someone was there they'd of course just revive you. My ignorance aside, thats a pretty good idea. Its irritating enough to make people play properly but it has no adverse effect on our characters or thier stats.

Although... with that as the "death penalty" when you're in a group there'd be no penalty.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-o-x on 2005-12-18 17:07 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Dec 18, 2005, 08:08 PM
I thought of something funny (but it would only work on a Nintendo system):

Mario appears out of nowhere, dressed in his old days, mallet included. Well, he runs up to you & konks you in the head, Donkey Kong style. Your group would precede to fall on the floor laughing.

But, since this is a Sony system, how about Crash Bandicoot following you around for the rest of the level, nagging the shit out of you. Thats more punishment than anyone should have to deal with...

F-o-x
Dec 18, 2005, 08:19 PM
Isn't Crash made by some third party developer (Despite Crash games only showing up on Sony systems)? If we're going down that road ST could have Amy Rose come in and whack you with her mallet http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

DeathMachine
Dec 18, 2005, 09:30 PM
Wouldn't want to see: Cheating, EXP-penalties, or -debt, but instead, MONETARY debt! Paying hospital bills! That would make you want to kill monsters for the cash.

DeathKnight
Dec 18, 2005, 11:00 PM
haha, yes! thats good. paying hospital bills is more sensible too. maybe they'll just adopt the PSO's "lose all your money" thing. no matter what, it isn't going to matter too much, i'm still going to buy it >>

DeathMachine
Dec 18, 2005, 11:04 PM
Cheers to that! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_beer.gif

OdinTyler
Dec 19, 2005, 01:17 AM
1. Figures Sony didnt even make their own mascot. He blows anyway & to think theyre STILL trying to make Crash games. Its pathetic.

2. I forgot about Amy & HER mallet. Hmmm, very true. Its not like Sonic chars havent been in PSO before. Could happen again.

3. Heres an interesting 'death penalty'. Everytime you die, the Hunter's Guild gives you extra work to do. Thats right, another mission. For ppl that hate doing missions, youll have to do extra work. Wait, Idk if I like this idea.

Here's something that hasnt been in PSO that NEEDS to be in PSU: EXPERIENCE FOR MISSIONS. Why is it we only get XP for killing? Who cares if we get some cash for a reward? We can always get cash. How about some XP (based on difficulty lvl if that carries over again) for completing the mission? This is something sorely needed. So for something not to be in PSU: NO NON-XP MISSIONS. GIVE XP AT THE END OF EACH MISSION!