PDA

View Full Version : Advent Children

Madzozs
Dec 18, 2005, 12:23 PM
I remember a while ago there was all sorts of talk about this movie, and it just disappeared.

I ended up buying a copy from discountanimedvd.com a few weeks back. I'm finally getting to posting about it.

It kicked ass.

That is all that anyone really needs to know about the movie. The fights were awesome, all the favorites show up to lend a hand, and the story isn't really bad either. Much better than the previous FF movie(Spirits Within), although I didn't mind that one.

Anyone else see it yet? What did you think?

Neith
Dec 18, 2005, 12:51 PM
Saw a JP copy a while back, with English subtitles.

Awesome film, nice effects, great use of CG. Fast-paced battle scenes.

The bad:

- Too short, only 1hr 40mins ish?
- Too focused on Cloud, Kadaj, Tifa, whereas Yuffie, Red, Vincent and many others didn't see enough action in my opinion.

Overall though, a very nice film, will be buying it when we see a US/EU release.

VioletSkye
Dec 18, 2005, 01:04 PM
I downloaded the JP version (with English subtitles) quite awhile ago (like 3 or 4 months ago maybe) and burned it to DVD for my nephew. I watched part of it and it was ok, but I got bored and turned it off. If you are into that sort of thing, you'll probably really enjoy it, it just wasn't my cup of tea. I do think it was very well done though http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

eXo
Dec 18, 2005, 02:10 PM
I still have it on my PC as we speak watched a little of it but i never remember to finish it off http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Eihwaz
Dec 18, 2005, 04:22 PM
On 2005-12-18 09:51, UrikoBB3 wrote:
Awesome film, nice effects, great use of CG. Fast-paced battle scenes.

The bad:

- Too short, only 1hr 40mins ish?
- Too focused on Cloud, Kadaj, Tifa, whereas Yuffie, Red, Vincent and many others didn't see enough action in my opinion.

Overall though, a very nice film, will be buying it when we see a US/EU release.

This is exactly what I thought as well. Red XIII is so awesome, and he gets only one line. There was also a very distinct lack of Cait Sith. Where was the giant robotic moogle?! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I downloaded it with subtitles, and I generally liked it. As soon as Square-Enix decides to release the damn movie stateside (it's already been pushed back like twice, now it's for like an early 2006 release), I will be picking it up on DVD.

I wonder if they'll release Advent Pieces in the US? I would be all over it if they did, and if I happened to have enough money at the time. >_>

geewj
Dec 18, 2005, 04:59 PM
Tifas fight scene was the best part of the movie, I think.

I didn't care that much for the story. I'd say it was... more entertaining than Spirit Within, but not as well thought out.

But the whole thing looked amazing.

Neith
Dec 18, 2005, 06:04 PM
On 2005-12-18 13:22, Eihwaz wrote:
Where was the giant robotic moogle?! http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Well, Cait Sith was on Red XIII instead, no idea where the moogle was XD

I'm gonna stop now, I don't wanna blow the whole film for those who are waiting >_>

shinobu_seta
Dec 18, 2005, 06:26 PM
I saw it several months ago. Really nice quality and a good story. I didn't really care for the DBZish flying around and such though, it seemed kind of strange and out of place for FF.

Rubius-sama
Dec 18, 2005, 11:04 PM
Great CG, bad story...and a bad story can ruin what would otherwise be a great film.

Deathscythealpha
Dec 19, 2005, 04:29 PM
It looked pretty, but overall I wasn't too impressed with Advent Children. It really felt like a FF7 cash in, even down to the point where they threw in several characters just for the sake of it. I can name at least 6 characters who had no real impact on the film other then to get the Uber Fans squeeling.

Not a really terrible film, but far from excellent in my eyes.

fronebullare
Dec 19, 2005, 05:35 PM
Wait...wasn't it delayed? I gots to get mees a copya dat!

Neith
Dec 19, 2005, 06:01 PM
On 2005-12-19 14:35, fronebullare wrote:
Wait...wasn't it delayed? I gots to get mees a copya dat!

JP versions have been around a while, and loads of pirated versions. >_>

The US/EU release is delayed, probably until Hell freezes over.

http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Sharkyland
Dec 19, 2005, 08:20 PM
I thought it was pretty good. A good way to end FFVII for those who played the game. The fight scenes were good though I couldn't remember what limit breaks everyone used.

The bad:
- Barrett isn't cursing a storm.
- As someone mentioned before 'DBZ-like' action.
- Vincent not using his 'Chaos' (unless he doesn't want to show people his true form)

Comments:
- 100min? I think that's okay for a CG movie. A lot of CG movies are pretty short. I don't know what's the longest one.

Wyndham
Dec 19, 2005, 11:42 PM
Vincent will have his own videogame last time i checked, so we may get to see Chaos.
I didn't like the fact that there was very little attention given to most of the characters.
but I can't complain much.
even MY MOM loved this movie.
that puzzles me.

Bladehunter
Dec 20, 2005, 04:45 AM
Been waiting a long time for this one, and its still delayed >.<

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 20, 2005, 06:20 AM
On 2005-12-20 01:45, Bladehunter wrote:
Been waiting a long time for this one, and its still delayed >.<

Yeah, its almost like they're encouraging all the pirating and JP version downloads. :/

eXo
Dec 23, 2005, 05:55 PM
On 2005-12-18 13:59, geewj wrote:
Tifas fight scene was the best part of the movie, I think.

I didn't care that much for the story. I'd say it was... more entertaining than Spirit Within, but not as well thought out.

But the whole thing looked amazing.

Ohhh Wow look at Link !!!

Daikarin
Dec 23, 2005, 07:57 PM
- You'd figure Cloud would have gotten over "it" by the end of the original game;
- Feels like they threw in the other chars (Barret, Yuffie, Cid, etc) just that they would make an appearance on the movie;

It might be trendy to be over-critic these days, but I have nothing more negative to report. Great movie, great battles, great OST, good references to the game, good new improvements and characters, good plot. FF7 fans will be into it.

Solstis
Dec 23, 2005, 11:32 PM
Despite only having had played FF7 for about 1 minute, I enjoyed the pirated version of ze flick that I saw. Nice, flashy, non-substancey; perfect.

SorceressofTime
Jan 8, 2006, 10:06 AM
Sorry guys for bringing up this old topic. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Anyhow, I just wanna say that Advent Children was one of the best video game movies ever made into history. It's one of my favorite movies of all time too, plus FF7 is my favorite video game. If you knew the background really well of FF7, it's exactly what you've been waiting for and you won't be disappointed.
Though there is one part of the movie they made a mistake in (won't mention it http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif). Otherwise, awesome overall. ^W^

(They should have included Sephiroth more though.. ah well still great to look at <3)