PDA

View Full Version : I hate the phrase "lol." Who's with me?

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 13, 2002, 07:15 PM
This is so overused that you either plain ignore it, cringe when you see it, or use it yourself.
I hate when people run around only saying "lol" like its a complete thought or answer to every question. These same people(hopefully) don't run around in life saying "lol" when talking to people; or the complete phrase "laugh out loud".

This may spawn from the internet chatting theory of "Its what everyone else says, I gotta look cool too." But I see it as "I can't think for myself, I use lol instead."

Stupid rant, probably stupid replies, or replies telling me how stupid I am for making a topic on such a little issue in life. So be it. Post or reply to the poll. I am interested in your responses.

Ness
Sep 14, 2002, 10:19 AM
I hate the phrase "lol." Who's with me?

Absolutely no one and that's why your the only one who voted.

ABDUR101
Sep 14, 2002, 10:39 AM
On 2002-09-14 08:19, Ness wrote:
Absolutely no one and that's why your the only one who voted.

Duh, you were just the first to reply. Give it time and there will be others. o_0

Bitxh, did'nt even vote.

I know too many people who say "lol" for it to annoy me. It's just one of those things you learn to accept..you know, kinda like the plague...but different.

*EDIT*
oh, and since you did'nt put answers such as "No, it doesn't annoy me but I don't use it", I answered "LOL".

Yeah, take that, bish!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2002-09-14 08:41 ]</font>

pixelate
Sep 14, 2002, 01:10 PM
I don't talk to enough people to notice what you're talking about. But it's tolerable in the small, sufficient doses I get. I can see how it'd be annoying, like everything else that gets over-used.

RavenTW
Sep 14, 2002, 01:16 PM
Hahaha

Question: Was that sarcasm or was I really laughing?

You see, "lol" was made basically because you can't tell expression when somone is posting somthing. Therefore, "lol" is used to show that a certain person beleived a statement or post to be funny.

This is like saying, "I hate the term PSO, let's use the normal Phantasy Star Online name," only it applies to all online use.

ABDUR101
Sep 14, 2002, 01:41 PM
On 2002-09-14 11:16, RavenTW wrote:
This is like saying, "I hate the term PSO, let's use the normal Phantasy Star Online name," only it applies to all online use.

GDTH, DNPG

merlin
Sep 14, 2002, 06:51 PM
Sure I use "lol". Why not?

It's no different than BRB, ROTFLMAO and stuff like that. It's a shortcut, used for convenience.

You could say that people who overuse smilies are just as annoying.....same as you could say that people on forums who use oversized sigs are annoying.

Depends on what context you use it in and how often.

Guile
Sep 14, 2002, 07:54 PM
I like to use heh or hah more but whatever...

but that 1337 computer nerd talk gets on my nerves

RavenTW
Sep 14, 2002, 09:47 PM
I can't even understand that crap! What the heck is it about???

ABDUR101
Sep 14, 2002, 11:31 PM
On 2002-09-14 19:47, RavenTW wrote:
I can't even understand that crap! What the heck is it about???

BRB - "Be right back"
LOL - "Laughing out Loud"
ROTFLMAO - "Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off"

etc, etc, etc

It's just short cutted ways to show an expression or action. It's alot easier than typing it out all the time, and pretty much everyone knows what you're talking about. =)

Takahashi
Sep 16, 2002, 08:06 PM
its great shortcut.

RavenTW
Sep 16, 2002, 08:32 PM
On 2002-09-14 11:41, ABDUR101 wrote:
GDTH, DNPG

I mean THAT crap.

OwenHimura
Sep 17, 2002, 07:31 PM
LOLLOLLOL sorry i had to do that n_nx()

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OwenHimura on 2002-09-17 17:34 ]</font>

Nidarrock
Sep 18, 2002, 01:22 PM
I only use lol when something is very funny. Should have put an option for sometimes. What about when people put up "haha" or "hehe" or for FF VII fans "Gwaa hahahaha" or "Kyahahahaha" Oh well, have fun.

IceBlink
Sep 21, 2002, 05:48 PM
I hate the word "lol", because it's so overused. ^_^; But then, people hate me for using smilies. Hehee, it's a strange world...

Ziggy-san
Sep 21, 2002, 08:29 PM
the whole thing with "lol"...it doesn't neccessarily bug me that much, but, if you haven't noticed already, I strive to be different...or at least myself...whatever wins out in the end :P

It's those dumb-ass cheerleaders and whatnot that say "lol" every other line or say "lol" in real life. In that case, yes, it does enrage me. I'm easily enraged I guess but...

...you. Shut up.

Uhh..I'll use "lol" if I neccessary MUST...I mean...it's easier and more instictive than typing out *laughing*, and some dumb idiot dumb people I talk to won't understand what I'm saying without a few "lol"s threw in there.

...wow...that post made NO sense whatsoever.

...CRAP! I can't edit it!!

Darrin
Sep 29, 2002, 07:38 PM
I just pre set Thanks in the D-Pad

Kenks23
Oct 1, 2002, 01:34 PM
*mocks the poll...*

LOL

*runs and hides*

Ian D
Oct 1, 2002, 03:43 PM
Err, I use it sometimes by accident but I don't like to. It's like a bad habit for me, luckily I don't use it much on the forum. The one I use the most and the one I despise the most is, "wtf." I don't even consider it swearing, I mean, if your really pissed off you'd cuss someone out you wouldn't say, "You stupid f'ing a-hole!" ...Well, maybe some of you would.

Alisha
Oct 3, 2002, 08:14 PM
lol lol lol lol /o/ 101 101 101 LOL LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!! !!

the lol girl has spoken!!!!!!

SkyHawkX
Oct 13, 2002, 04:47 PM
On 2002-09-14 17:54, Guile wrote:
I like to use heh or hah more but whatever...

but that 1337 computer nerd talk gets on my nerves

I hate it when people use "heh." It just feels like they don't give a shit. I prefer "lol" much more than "heh".

BlackRose
Oct 24, 2002, 02:19 PM
People who say "LOL" after everything annoy me, but I don't mind it when used sparingly, and when things are actually funny.
For myself, I find it much easier to just type out the laugh. Because laughs can vary... from "bwahaha" to "hehehe" to "har har har". For a while, I used "lal" for Laughalicious, but it didn't catch on.

Hmm, wonder why.

CorneliusPower
Oct 25, 2002, 05:00 PM
lmao, lol, rofl, lmfao!! Sorry i had to contribute to ingnorance, i like using "lol" but i dont overkill it like when someone asks me,"How you doing, man!" Reply,"lol!" No thats not me. Well I'm outta here, lol! =P

Meteor
Oct 25, 2002, 05:18 PM
I love t3h 1337 5p34k! I've never actually seen someone use it seriously, i thought it was all one big joke. That's why i find it funny

Foggy_Pete
Oct 26, 2002, 04:59 PM
"lol" is way better than someone filling up the screen with "AHAHAHAHAH" or something like that. i use it myself cause there is no other way to acknowlege that someone has made a joke and you think its funny. know what i mean? if you make a joke wouldnt you prefer me to say "lol" instead of "laughs politely"

CorneliusPower
Oct 27, 2002, 03:18 AM
I agree Pete. Lol is definetly appropriate for long emotional HAHAHAHAHA's and HEHEEHEHEHE's and AHAHAHAHAHA's! Pete owns!