PDA

View Full Version : a thought about PSU on the PS2

Tazer
Dec 20, 2005, 11:30 PM
Yo.

seeing as how the PS3 is supposed to be backward-compatible w/PS2 games, has any1 thought about how THAT system would render the game??

has there been any discussion on the subject??

Tazer

OdinTyler
Dec 20, 2005, 11:34 PM
It would look exactly the same as if you put a PS1 game on a PS2. It wont improve the look of the game if thats what you mean. It would take reprogramming to do that. If you cant or wont get a PS2 to play PSU, its been said that PS2 games will be playable on PS3. So if you wanted to do that, you could.

Tomeeboy
Dec 21, 2005, 01:15 AM
Well, technically, they could improve the look of PS2 games on the PS3, so I would not rule that out entirely. The Xbox 360, for example, is said to upscale old Xbox games to 720p and 1080i (High Definition) and also apply full screen anti-aliasing. However, I haven't really been following the PS3 enough to know if Sony has any plans for similar backwards compatibility features.

Espilonarge
Dec 21, 2005, 01:28 AM
Well I know for a fact that when you put a PSX CD into a PS2 your able to up the graphic settings in the PS2's settings, making the polygons look smoother and clearner but its doubtful that the PS3 will do a similer trick with PS2 games. Reason being is most games are already using pretty good high resolution settings and models so it wouldn't make much of a diffirence.

Hopefully however someone will make a PS1 emulator for the PS3. I know allot of people who bought the PS2 wanted it for the backwards compatibility let alone better graphic abilities, why not let the PS3 do the same with PSX games aswell. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

KhaosKidd
Dec 23, 2005, 10:42 PM
the PS3 will make it look just a little more detailed and cleaner than the PS2 would and thats wut im planning on getting 4 PSU http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif .

Sinue_v2
Dec 24, 2005, 12:19 AM
Well, technically, they could improve the look of PS2 games on the PS3, so I would not rule that out entirely.

Yeah, I wouldn't rule it out either - but I wouldn't necessarily count on Sony giving you that extra bit of consumer goodness. The texture smoothing and faster disk loading times were woefully pathetic. It would have been better if Sony had added at least some graphical niceties to the mix - such as tri-linear filtering, anti-aliasing, and increased resolution - all of which the PS2 could have done easily. They would, natrually, limit their backwards compatability - but I think that as long as they focused on getting the really popular games 100% emulated and at least 70% of the rest of the library emulated - it could have been a hugely popular feature.

Hell, the still could have kept the level of emulation they have now by giving you the option to run PSX games as they are done now on the PS2 would the emulation happen to mess up or not support a game you have.

Then again.. Sony really botched the PS2's launch, and I'm not sure if they've learned their lesson from it. They should have had VGA output natively (they all should have), and if they don't support it next generation - then I can see a lot of gamers choosing Xbox360 for their HD fix since it both offers worthwile enhancements to Xbox games and offers VGA out so that non-HDTV owning households can still enjoy their games in HD.

In any case - it doesn't really matter. Considering the disparity between the PS2 and PC versions graphics - I'm sure that PSU will make a true next-generation debut sometime on one of the consoles, most likely the PS3 in the form of an expansion pack. Sort of like how PSO has been doing.

Cross
Dec 24, 2005, 12:39 AM
On 2005-12-20 22:15, Tomeeboy wrote:
Well, technically, they could improve the look of PS2 games on the PS3, so I would not rule that out entirely. The Xbox 360, for example, is said to upscale old Xbox games to 720p and 1080i (High Definition) and also apply full screen anti-aliasing. However, I haven't really been following the PS3 enough to know if Sony has any plans for similar backwards compatibility features.

Actually, the reason the 360 can do that is because Microsoft is using a different method of backwards-compatability than Sony used for the PS2 (and Nintendo uses for the GBA to play GB/GBC games, and the DS for playing GBA games). Basically, the hardware of the PS2 contains a chip that is the same as the one used for the CPU of the PSX (The GBA contains a chip that is basically the Gameboy Color chip; the reason that the DS and the Gameboy Micro can't play Gameboy/Gameboy Color games is because they don't have that chip). The advantage of this is that compatability is almost 100%; nearly any PSX game will play in the PS2 or the other examples.
The disadvantage is that since the hardware for running games in backward-compatability mode is almost the same, you aren't able to offer much in the way of signifigant improvement (the PS2's texture smoothing is almost unnoticeable, and the GBA can't really scale the GB games up to the enhanced aspect ratio all that well).

With the 360, though, none of the hardware is the same. The 360's hardware is used to emulate the hardware of the original Xbox, as software. The advantage to this is that since it's a software improvement, they can do things like render the game at a higher resolution than the original Xbox ever could, or potentially introduce some other cool tricks that weren't possible with the original game. This is similar to emulating an older console with your PC; you can make SNES games look much, much better than they originally did by using various scaling modes, and if you're using a Playstation emulator like ePSXe, you can run some really nice texture smoothing on it, and render it at high-resolution, so emulated Playstation and SNES games look way better than they do on their native hardware.
The disadvantage is that compatability is much lower, and as you start emulating more and more powerful hardware, the amount of exceptions that need to have custom emulation code made for them grows a lot. You can see this with console emulation on a PC: For SNES games, almost every game has worked just fine for years, and there were only a few exceptions such as Star Ocean, Starfox, etc that needed to have custom things coded into the emulator. With ePSXe, most games work fine on the same settings, but there are also quite a few games that need to have a special exception programmed into the emulator to work properly.
With the 360 emulating the Xbox, most games require some sort of custom-made emulation code, and that's why there are currently only a few dozen games supported. They can (and are) add games to that list over time, but they have to write a special emulation profile for each one.

That's kind of a long-winded background explanation of it all, but the end result is that whether the PS3 will be able to signifigantly improve on the visuals of PSU (and other PS2 games) depends entirely on which method of emulation they use, and I'm 99% certain that Sony is going to toss in a chip or two that is basically lifted from the PS2 to ensure hardware compatability for most games. It might be able to run a little bit of smoothing across textures, but it won't be anywhere nearly as profound a difference as it is to run Halo 2 on an Xbox 360.

At any rate, the reasoning for the PS3 not drastically improving on the PS2's games isn't because the PS2 is already using good, high-res textures and models (quite the opposite, actually - the PS2 looks quite deficient next to modern hardware), but because Sony is much more likely to go for a near-perfect compatability rate than they are to go with having signifigant graphical improvements for only a fraction of the PS2's game library.