PDA

View Full Version : Brokeback Mountain

anwserman
Dec 26, 2005, 02:20 AM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/brokeback_mountain/
I really want to see this movie, though it is only in 69 theaters at this moment.

Anyone else?

eXo
Dec 26, 2005, 02:25 AM
A movie about two Marlboro man gone soft,no thanks http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

FOAtHeart
Dec 26, 2005, 02:39 AM
Looks good. I will probably see it, if for nothing else than to see some Jake Gyllenhaal action...!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FOAtHeart on 2005-12-25 23:40 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Dec 26, 2005, 12:52 PM
I read the short story, which was good. Prolly wait till it comes out on DVD like I do with every movie I want to see though.

*edit*
Pup-tent scene FTW!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2005-12-26 09:52 ]</font>

Solstis
Dec 26, 2005, 01:50 PM
I'll probably have to catch it on DVD later. :/

anwserman
Dec 26, 2005, 05:38 PM
On 2005-12-25 23:25, eXo wrote:
A movie about two Marlboro man gone soft,no thanks http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Haha.
What a stereotypical comment.

Why don't you put your assumptions aside and see the movie? Hell, even the reviewers called it that before viewing the movie and changed their minds afterward.

CupOfCoffee
Dec 26, 2005, 05:49 PM
Psh, I can beat that stereotypical comment!

"Heheh, 69 theaters."

Anyway, it doesn't really look like the kind of movie I'd actively go out and see of my own accord, but I can definitely see a certain somebody making me go with her to it.

Orange_Coconut
Dec 26, 2005, 07:10 PM
I love one of the actors in that movie, he also played Donnie Darko (I'm really bad with names of actors, bands, singers, etc.) Reading the reviews, it sounds like it may be a depressing movie. I try to look for comedies or things with senseless violence like horror, because most of the scenarios aren't realistic and it's fun to poke fun at certain horror flicks.

I bet this movie will be very good, though. I don't watch many depressing movies because of how much my emotions get involved in films, that also includes songs and poetry and such. It makes it hard to understand how good the movie is and just brings my mood down, there are things people need to work on in life and I hope to be able to gather the courage to watch this movie, as well as several others. Donnie Darko made me depressed, but like I said, I loved it. It really was good at provoking thought was very interesting.

I hope people can at least judge this movie after seeing it instead of passing it off. I have no idea whether it will be good or bad, but I am interested to see it some day.

ABDUR101
Dec 26, 2005, 08:56 PM
Well if someone is going to pass it off as "pfft, two gay cowboys, why would I want to hear about how they try and come to terms with who they are and what they do", it's more like they can't come to terms themselves to go see a movie that involves such things.

It's going to be a movie that has a good message in it, and the impact is felt through what these two guys go through and how they try and rationalise it, based on how they were raised and so on.

Kent
Dec 27, 2005, 01:24 AM
...Not interested. :/

digigram
Dec 27, 2005, 10:38 AM
Well, you know it has been proven in studies that homophobic males will get aroused when viewing the thing they are so against.

Just go see the movie you insecure ninnies.

CupOfCoffee
Dec 27, 2005, 11:10 AM
Would you go see a movie you had absolutely no interest in? It's not a matter of being unsettled by the content, it's just that I'm not curious at all to see how a story about two people, men or women, coming to terms with themselves unfolds.

I work in a movie theater, so I see at least some of just about every movie that comes out. I've gotten to a point where I can gauge virtually every every film beforehand and know which ones will be terrible but will do a lot of business, which ones will be well-made but neglected, and which ones will be enjoyable to me. Just from the preview and vauge knowledge of the storyline, I can give you a definite thumbs down to Brokeback Mountain in the "enjoyable to me" category. Sorry.

Eihwaz
Dec 27, 2005, 11:26 AM
CupOfCoffee isn't being a homophobe; he just doesn't think he'd enjoy watching the movie. He did not say "OMG GAY COWBOYS" (we'll ignore the 69 comment, however http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif), he just said he doesn't want to watch the movie.

That being said, it sounds like an interesting movie, but it's doubtful I'll go to see it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2005-12-27 08:26 ]</font>

Kent
Dec 27, 2005, 02:42 PM
On 2005-12-27 07:38, digigram wrote:
Well, you know it has been proven in studies that homophobic males will get aroused when viewing the thing they are so against.

Just go see the movie you insecure ninnies.

Right. I'm a homophobic, insecure ninnie because I'm just not interested in a particular movie.

Your logic is flawless.

Dhylec
Dec 27, 2005, 03:25 PM
Guys, please stay with the topic. It's about seeing the movie, not calling names.
It's the common sense that if you can't say anything nice, it's best to say nothing at all.

digigram
Dec 27, 2005, 09:29 PM
kent. I wasn't talking to you. In fact, I wasn't directing my comment to anyone, just pointing out the observations I have had of people saying in RL ->

"why the fuck would I want to see a movie about two fag cowboys"..

When the movie isn't even necessarily simply about being gay... it's about a bond between two men, and the hardships of the time it takes place to live with that sort of bond in society..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digigram on 2005-12-27 18:31 ]</font>

Kent
Dec 28, 2005, 01:33 AM
...It was in indirect statement. You know, kinda like talking to a crowd, you may not be directing it at any one person, but any one person in said crowd may talk back to you.

In essence, the way you typed it, it seemed as if you were indirectly calling everyone not interested in seeing the movie, whatever the reason, insecure ninnies. :/

roygbiv
Dec 28, 2005, 02:28 PM
Went on a date to see it last week. Pretty good. Though I can understand the straight male population not going rushing off to see it.

Heath Ledger gives a really great performance.

digigram
Dec 28, 2005, 03:04 PM
yeah kent, sorry about that. didn't mean to sound the way it did.

Dgo
Dec 29, 2005, 03:23 PM
Hmm i saw trailers for this moive a while back, but back ot the post this moive is about 2 gay men who meet on a ranch and fall in love.

"I think the straight male population won't in to see it." Is obvious of the back.

But my thoughts are that it would have done better to just come out on a channel like the 'oxgeyn' were a women would see it cause i'm pretty sure that the audience the were shooting for. Or go right to dvd and probably make a better profit.(i'm guessing it wasn't about the money though but the story)

Since some might say "A movie about two Marlboro man gone soft,no thanks" but in defense of the movie you could say "Just go see the movie you insecure ninnies"

It would take straight males who are bold or not afraid to go out and see this in public.

So in closing i say this Dont Let Your Insecureides Stop You From Seeing A Possible Good Flick.

No i have not seen it and don't plan to because it doesn't appeal to me in any fashion, but some might benefit from seeing it.

Solstis
Dec 29, 2005, 04:58 PM
On 2005-12-29 12:23, Dgo wrote:
Hmm i saw trailers for this moive a while back, but back ot the post this moive is about 2 gay men who meet on a ranch and fall in love.

"I think the straight male population won't in to see it." Is obvious of the back.

But my thoughts are that it would have done better to just come out on a channel like the 'oxgeyn' were a women would see it cause i'm pretty sure that the audience the were shooting for. Or go right to dvd and probably make a better profit.(i'm guessing it wasn't about the money though but the story)

It's supposed to be a great movie. Oxygen does not play great movies, or at least not any new ones. It's not some Lifetime crap. It's not necessarily a gay movie either. I don't imagine that the makers of the film (or writer of the short story) gave a whit about profits, like you said.

It's an independent film, and thus will be carried by some theaters, mostly ones that don't belong to the mega-chains. Cowboy Bebop came out the same way. And, since it was a small release, I believe that they will make a sizable sum of money (for them).

eXo
Dec 30, 2005, 01:02 AM
I do not think that anyone's decision to go and see this movie is a direct or indirect,result of security or insecurity. I was not a big fan of Cruel Intentions either everyone has something that floats their boat,but for me the waters are a little to shaky

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: eXo on 2005-12-29 22:03 ]</font>

anwserman
Dec 30, 2005, 02:26 AM
Well, gathering that the wide release of the movie starts is in about 10 days... lets just wait-and-see.
And saying that it should just be on Lifetime or Oxygen is a stereotypical comment.

Shame shame.

eXo
Dec 30, 2005, 03:07 AM
On 2005-12-29 23:26, anwserman wrote:
Well, gathering that the wide release of the movie starts is in about 10 days... lets just wait-and-see.
And saying that it should just be on Lifetime or Oxygen is a stereotypical comment.

Shame shame.

I dont really see that as being a stereotypical comment,to me it comes off as more of just an opinion http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif a stereotype would be if he said that all cowboys are homosexual or that all movies based on homosexuality should only on lifetime or oxygen.
What i took from that comment is that he feels that the movie sounds like a promo for a, two or three part mini series on those respective channels. :nod:

digigram
Dec 30, 2005, 09:39 AM
A stereotypical comment about the movie that would be more appropriate, would be...

"This movie should just be released on logo".

But anyway, the movie is directed by the director of crouching tiger hidden dragon, and has already been nominated for a grip of awards. gay or straight, it should be a good movie.

Dgo
Dec 30, 2005, 10:40 AM
On 2005-12-30 06:39, digigram wrote:
A stereotypical comment about the movie that would be more appropriate, would be...

"This movie should just be released on logo".

But anyway, the movie is directed by the director of crouching tiger hidden dragon, and has already been nominated for a grip of awards. gay or straight, it should be a good movie.

Yeah i just saw all the nominations on a commercial looks like it will do better then i expected.

eXo
Dec 30, 2005, 11:00 AM
Yea im pretty sure that it will rack in quite a few awards,maybe even break one or two box office records http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

xxTrystanxx
Dec 31, 2005, 12:09 PM
Despite the rave reviews, it just doesn't strike me as the type of movie I'd enjoy.
Besides, I'm quite broke, and if the other half and I spend money to go see a movie it'll probably be Tristan & Isolde. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

CupOfCoffee
Dec 31, 2005, 01:56 PM
On 2005-12-30 08:00, eXo wrote:
...maybe even break one or two box office records http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Heheh... fair or not, there's essentially no chance of that. The movies that break box office records are ones with incredibly wide appeal to young(ish) people. Disney/Pixar movies, PG-13 horror flicks like The Grudge and The Ring, and the occasional Titanic or Lord of the Rings. For the most part, movies without mainstream appeal, no matter how beautifully acted or scripted, slip below the radar. Even Pulp Fiction, now widely acclaimed as perhaps the greatest noir film of all, did a dismal amount of business when it first hit theaters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CupOfCoffee on 2005-12-31 10:57 ]</font>