Dec 27, 2005, 11:20 AM
"Windows2000 SP4/XP
CPU Pentium4 1.6 GHzB
RAM 256MB
HDD8.0 GB
Video Card 64MB
Direct X DirectX9.0&#65347"

"Yah I noticed the specs were very low too even on recommended specs."

Woah, woah, woah... those minimum requirments are LOW?!?!?! S*** I just got my laptop new for X-mas...

1.60 Ghz
512 RAM
Video Card (unknown, probably intergrated.....)
DVD-Rom Burner
I don't have Direct X 9.0...

Should I upgrade? I REALLY want this game!!!
I have PSO XBOX live...and there's only 100 to 200 people on at a time, everyone has the J-sword and Red Ring and I'm paying 15$ a month for it plus 8$ a month for Xbox Live...
What Should I upgraded (If possible on a laptop) and how much do you think It'll cost?

Um... my Laptop is a ASUS A3H...

Espilonarge
Dec 27, 2005, 01:37 PM
Don't forget that laptops unlike a reguler desktop computer don't use as much power so even with small specs, you might be able to get away with what you have. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

As for finding out what video card you have.

Right click on your desktop and click on Properties. Click on the Settings tab at the top and then click Advanced. Click on the Adaptor tab and it should tell you what video card you have, even telling how much VRAM its intergrated with. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Kimil
Dec 27, 2005, 02:24 PM
Alright... I just checked and it says "Memory Size: 128 MB" i'M guessing that's VRAM, If that's ture there should be no problem with my PC (I found out that I have Direct X 9.0 ><)

Only prob is my Processer is running at 1.6Ghz...

Para
Dec 27, 2005, 02:38 PM
upgrade is a must for you.

PrinceBrightstar
Dec 27, 2005, 02:47 PM
agreed. throw another 512 mb memory in there.

Espilonarge
Dec 27, 2005, 02:54 PM
Well its good your video support is 128 megs of VRAM but without knowledge if its onboard or what company its from, it does make me wonder were the drivers for the card installed.

If webpage scrolling is sluggish (especially on sites with allot of flash/java) then its most likely because the drivers arn't installed and its relying off XP's default driver set which won't help.

There is another way to find out what your video card is.

Click on Start and then Run. Type in "dxdiag" and press Enter/Ok. Direct X will do a scan for whats in your laptop and then bring up the infomation for you. Click on Display at the top and it should bring up allot more infomation about your video card (less of course the drivers arn't in.) It also allows you to do some tests if you want to see what your laptops capible of doing. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

On that note, the only thing I'd be worried about upgrading is your RAM. In this day and age, 512 just isn't enough when it comes to games. PSU is gunna need atleast 1 gig so it doesn't constantly go back and forth between the pagefile and the RAM (causing pauses, slow down and possibly if its that bad, errors/crashes.) Afterall, 1 Gig of RAM allows for the CPU and video card to be more user friendly with each other. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Espilonarge on 2005-12-27 11:57 ]</font>

Kimil
Dec 27, 2005, 06:58 PM
I'm guessing this is the information I was suppost the information I was looking for:
In that screen that appears, I checked the Tab 'Display' and it said that my main driver was 'ialmrnt5.dll' and not defualt (unless that IS default)

PLus, what's wrong with my ram? and again whats that gonna cost me... >.<

Inazuma
Dec 27, 2005, 07:23 PM
if you play pc games, you should be using a desktop.
well, unless you only wanna play games that are many years old.

i thought about buying a laptop as a 2nd computer for psu but decided to go w/ desktop instead. cuz laptops wont run psu at full settings.

Brus
Dec 27, 2005, 07:34 PM
Laptop's can run games, just not most of them. Most laptops run off of integrated graphics cards which suck butts, but my gf just got a laptop witha geforce 6600 on it, and now her computer runs quake IV better than mine does. I'm going to make a safe assumption that quake IV is much more resource demanding than PSU. But yeah, for the most bang for your buck a DESKTOP is way more worth it.

Kimil
Dec 27, 2005, 08:00 PM
Well... My PC plays Sims 2 NP, (accept at the begining when it shows the towns from a distance) and Age of Emps 3

But still, is it possible to upgrade and what SHOULD I specifically upgrade. (My RAM, Video Card, Processer?)

Shadow_Wing
Dec 27, 2005, 08:39 PM
Generally PCs can run games much better than laptops anyday. However if you have a laptop like mine whose hardware is built far better than most PCs out there than yes it will be able to run games. Generally if you want to play games you would invest in a PC rather than a laptop; its usually cheaper (cause ur not trying to get mobile size parts) and usually offer the more powerful couterparts (it takes time to make the same hardware mobile).

On the note if you should upgrade, upgrade the Video Card if its integrated (however for a laptop this might cost a bit). If your running a pent 4 you should be fine with the processor speed, and I would hope in hell you have at least 512 MB of RAM.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadow_Wing on 2005-12-27 17:43 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Dec 27, 2005, 09:13 PM
Very few laptops will allow for a GPU upgrade (although more and more companies are making it possible.) In the near future, you will see alot more laptops utilizing modular graphics that are swappable/upgradable. Here is an interesting little blurb on MXM (Mobile Express Module.) (http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/nvidias-mxm-laptop-graphics-upgrade-path-016243.php) Another cool article on MXM can be found at HARD OCP. (http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjE1) One issue that is of importance is form factor (meaning the shape of the laptop and how the card fits into the machine.) With so many proprietary boards out there, especially for laptops, coming up with some type of standard will take awhile. Then of course we have the issue of heat.

CPU can almost always be updated, but you have to understand that most of the M processosrs are going to run slower for 2 main reasons: A. it gives you longer battery life and B. they won't run as hot as faster cpus. Heat is always a greater concern in laptops than with desktops where airflow and cooling can be increased.

RAM can almost always be upgraded as well but keep in mind that most laptops have only 2 slots for memory, and they usually install the memory in pairs. For example, your 512MB of RAM is most likely comprised of (2) 256MB sticks. What this means is that if you want to have 1gig of ram, you'd probably want to buy 2 sticks of 512MB (meaning you won't be able to use the memory sticks your laptop came with.) If your laptop has more than 2 memory slots and/or you are only using 1 stick for your 512MB, then you should be able to install more memory and keep the memory you already have.

There are quite a few pc manufacturers that build laptops that come close to delivering the high end gaming/performance found on their big brother desktops:
Alienware (http://alienware.com/Product_Pages/notebook_all_gaming.aspx)
Falcon Northwest (http://www.falcon-nw.com/fragbook.asp)
Widow PC (http://www.widowpc.com/2005/06/gaming_laptops.php)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-12-27 20:40 ]</font>

watashiwa
Dec 27, 2005, 11:31 PM
.. The Dell XPS models are pretty good for gaming too. They have GeForce 7800 GTX cards in them and everything.

My laptop is a bit dated now, lol, the video card is only a Radeon 9700 based card. It plays Guild Wars and World of Warcraft no problem, though. (Have to keep the resolution at like 1280x720 or something like that, though... I also have to turn off the shiny glow in WoW and Guild Wars because the frame rate can dip in very detailed places with it on... and I really like silky smooth gameplay..)

But, I really think that laptops now are pretty close playing PC games as good as a desktop. The problem is, if you want a laptop that's going to be really good at games, you're going to have to spend $3,000+ on it. That's all there is to it.

You can get a midrange laptop with like a GeForce 6800 Ultra or Radeon X700, but eh... if you're going to get a pimped out laptop, go all the way with it. Get financing on it if you have to.

Kimil
Dec 27, 2005, 11:53 PM
On the note if you should upgrade, upgrade the Video Card if its integrated (however for a laptop this might cost a bit). If your running a pent 4 you should be fine with the processor speed, and I would hope in hell you have at least 512 MB of RAM.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadow_Wing on 2005-12-27 17:43 ]</font>

Ya... I just looked into my RAM... I have 496... WTF?! It said 512 on the box >< Is this some sorta Typo?

On 2005-12-27 18:13, VioletSkye wrote:

Very few laptops will allow for a GPU upgrade (although more and more companies are making it possible.) In the near future, you will see alot more laptops utilizing modular graphics that are swappable/upgradable. Here is an interesting little blurb on MXM (Mobile Express Module.) (http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/nvidias-mxm-laptop-graphics-upgrade-path-016243.php) Another cool article on MXM can be found at HARD OCP. (http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjE1) One issue that is of importance is form factor (meaning the shape of the laptop and how the card fits into the machine.) With so many proprietary boards out there, especially for laptops, coming up with some type of standard will take awhile. Then of course we have the issue of heat.

CPU can almost always be updated, but you have to understand that most of the M processosrs are going to run slower for 2 main reasons: A. it gives you longer battery life and B. they won't run as hot as faster cpus. Heat is always a greater concern in laptops than with desktops where airflow and cooling can be increased.

RAM can almost always be upgraded as well but keep in mind that most laptops have only 2 slots for memory, and they usually install the memory in pairs. For example, your 512MB of RAM is most likely comprised of (2) 256MB sticks. What this means is that if you want to have 1gig of ram, you'd probably want to buy 2 sticks of 512MB (meaning you won't be able to use the memory sticks your laptop came with.) If your laptop has more than 2 memory slots and/or you are only using 1 stick for your 512MB, then you should be able to install more memory and keep the memory you already have.

There are quite a few pc manufacturers that build laptops that come close to delivering the high end gaming/performance found on their big brother desktops:
Alienware (http://alienware.com/Product_Pages/notebook_all_gaming.aspx)
Falcon Northwest (http://www.falcon-nw.com/fragbook.asp)
Widow PC (http://www.widowpc.com/2005/06/gaming_laptops.php)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-12-27 20:40 ]</font>

I'm heading to the Source tomorrow to ask if my model is upgradable, I bought it there so I hope they have info... I got about 300 Dollars (Canadian, so About 260 American) doing nothing in my bank right now, so that'll be my budget on it...

I would just upgrade my familly desktop, but the whole reason why I got a laptop in the first place is that the Desktop is 9 years old... 0.5Ghz, 256 RAM, An industrial fan mounted on its side because its overclocked (Dad took out one of the walls and put in the fan with a cardboard wall -_-") But suprisingly, a really good Video Card.

Taht's Why I'm trying my chances wwith the laptop.

Um... there's this wierd setting on my laptop, when ever I plug it into te wall, a flag comes up called "high proformance", Then the screen gets brighter and the whole laptop gerts faster, then if I want to I can put it on Super Proformance or Gaming... I haven't noticed any difference with these settings other thent when Gaming is on, all other programs then games slooooooooooow dooooooooown

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kimil on 2005-12-27 20:59 ]</font>

Kimil
Dec 27, 2005, 11:55 PM
On 2005-12-27 20:31, watashiwa wrote:
.. The Dell XPS models are pretty good for gaming too. They have GeForce 7800 GTX cards in them and everything.

My laptop is a bit dated now, lol, the video card is only a Radeon 9700 based card. It plays Guild Wars and World of Warcraft no problem, though. (Have to keep the resolution at like 1280x720 or something like that, though... I also have to turn off the shiny glow in WoW and Guild Wars because the frame rate can dip in very detailed places with it on... and I really like silky smooth gameplay..)

But, I really think that laptops now are pretty close playing PC games as good as a desktop. The problem is, if you want a laptop that's going to be really good at games, you're going to have to spend $3,000+ on it. That's all there is to it.

You can get a midrange laptop with like a GeForce 6800 Ultra or Radeon X700, but eh... if you're going to get a pimped out laptop, go all the way with it. Get financing on it if you have to.

Buying a new one is out of the Question... I'm stuck with my ASUS A3H (its not horrible, but it has really good and bad times)

VioletSkye
Dec 28, 2005, 12:35 AM
On 2005-12-27 20:53, Kimil wrote:
Ya... I just looked into my RAM... I have 496... WTF?! It said 512 on the box >< Is this some sorta Typo?

That is almost always the case with machines using onboard (integrated) video. What it means is that it is using a portion of your total system RAM for video irregardless of whether or not anything video intensive is running. The amount of RAM it uses is variable depending on the application that is running. In your case it will use up to 128MB of system RAM for processing video info. The amount of RAM your laptop uses for video can usually be changed in the BIOS.

I'm heading to the Source tomorrow to ask if my model is upgradable, I bought it there so I hope they have info... I got about 300 Dollars (Canadian, so About 260 American) doing nothing in my bank right now, so that'll be my budget on it...
Chances are it won't be, but it never hurts to check http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif The reason I say it probably won't be is because the video is built into the motherboard and can't really be removed, which also means there is no space available to install a dedicated video card. The motherboard and the form factor of the laptop has to have a place available to insert the card.

Um... there's this wierd setting on my laptop, when ever I plug it into te wall, a flag comes up called "high proformance", Then the screen gets brighter and the whole laptop gerts faster, then if I want to I can put it on Super Proformance or Gaming... I haven't noticed any difference with these settings other thent when Gaming is on, all other programs then games slooooooooooow dooooooooown
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep(R) Technology (http://support.intel.com/support/processors/mobile/pentium4/sb/CS-007499.htm)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-12-27 22:32 ]</font>

Kimil
Dec 28, 2005, 01:27 AM
BTW, Thank you for your time ^_^

Hmm... Size factor eh? If my Laptop is big (I dunno if its big in comparison to other Laptops... 32.8 x 28.8 x 27-38cm (W x D x H) (15")) then there is probably room for extra components right?

VioletSkye
Dec 28, 2005, 01:35 AM
On 2005-12-27 22:27, Kimil wrote:
BTW, Thank you for your time ^_^

Hmm... Size factor eh? If my Laptop is big (I dunno if its big in comparison to other Laptops... 32.8 x 28.8 x 27-38cm (W x D x H) (15")) then there is probably room for extra components right?

Your welcome http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Even if there is room in the laptop shell, the motherboard has to be able to support a dedicated card and unfortunately, yours doesn't http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

BTW I looked up the specs on your pc and it does only have 2 memory slots and uses (2) 256MB sticks. If you want to upgrade memory, you'll need to buy (2) sticks of 512MB or (2) sticks of 1GB depending on how much memory you want (max. memory for your laptop is 2GB.) The downside is, if you do upgrade you won't be able to use the memory that is in it now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-12-27 22:36 ]</font>

Kimil
Dec 28, 2005, 01:41 AM
On 2005-12-27 22:35, VioletSkye wrote:

The downside is, if you do upgrade you won't be able to use the memory that is in it now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-12-27 22:36 ]</font>

You mean I'll have to sell/junk the ram sticks in there now? Hmm... The only thing I really care for upgrading is the RAM, because I could put some more of the RAM on the VRAM (right? o.o), and having 2 Gb of Ram sounds smexy. Processer... hmm... I looked up the Specs too, my parents should have gone with the ASUS A2H... =P

I'm gonna do some research on those Ram Sticks...

Kimil
Dec 28, 2005, 01:43 AM
nvm, i JUST noticed...
"DDR2, 2 x SO-DIMM socket expandable to 1 GB"

#_#

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kimil on 2005-12-27 22:48 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Dec 28, 2005, 01:58 AM
On 2005-12-27 22:41, Kimil wrote:

On 2005-12-27 22:35, VioletSkye wrote:

The downside is, if you do upgrade you won't be able to use the memory that is in it now.

You mean I'll have to sell/junk the ram sticks in there now? Hmm... The only thing I really care for upgrading is the RAM, because I could put some more of the RAM on the VRAM (right? o.o), and having 2 Gb of Ram sounds smexy. Processer... hmm... I looked up the Specs too, my parents should have gone with the ASUS A2H... =P

I'm gonna do some research on those Ram Sticks...

You could probably sell the RAM to someone else so that its not a total loss. Most off the shelf systems (which includes a majority of the laptops) have proprietary BIOS settings and some of those settings can't be adjusted without some type of software hack. You can certainly try increasing the amount of RAM used for video in the graphics controller but I suspect that it is hardwired to not go any higher than 128MB (but don't quote me on that lol.) Usually you are presented with options that you can choose from like 32MB, 64MB and 128MB, so chances are you won't be able to manually set the amount you want to use.

Kimil
Dec 28, 2005, 02:14 AM
Well... I do have double te required RAM already, so maybe I shouldn't worry about that... (I checked the system usage and when A vgame is on, it takes resorces from more then just those 128 MB on the Video Card so If I just put in those RAM sticks I should be able to play the game anyway...

Kimil
Dec 28, 2005, 09:02 PM
Hmm... The guys at the Source said that ASUS makes there LAPtops with 2 RAM ports, but one is left empty so I already have a 512MB Ram stick in there and One emtpy port o.o I could just buy another 512 DDR RAM. I still can't enter my BIOS though...

BahnKnakyu
Dec 28, 2005, 09:45 PM
There's a way to check how many sticks are in your laptop (other than physically doing it). I can't remember what lets you do that, I think it's this program called CPU-Z.

Basically, what VioletSkye is saying, if you get a laptop, a lot of the stuff that is in it is kinda "freeze dried" - you're stuck with what you got. Yes, technology is advancing to make it expandable like a desktop, but the problem is, the future isn't now just yet. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

If you're planning on playing other games beyond PSU then you'll probably want to invest in a desktop as your next computer, only cos it's generally cheaper to upgrade and fix if something goes wrong. Laptop technology needs to be miniaturized so that it'll fit in that laptop shell, and therefore cost an arm and a leg to replace if something in it messes up. Memory is especially quite expensive for laptops, and if your screen ever ends up breaking... ouch.

However, I don't think your comp will have trouble handling PSU. Memory upgrade is always a good idea, seeing how 512 MB nowadays seems to be the bare minimum for running a modern system. A majority of the graphics work is done by the graphics card - I can't remember if integrated graphics basically means that the computer does all the graphics processing, but if it's done on a separate card then you should be fine. (VioletSkye help me out here. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif )Else if it's done by the computer itself, then yeah, you'll need to upgrade.

Good luck. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Kimil
Dec 28, 2005, 10:09 PM
^.^ I'm so scruwed!!! ^.^

I'll hopping getting more Memmory will solve my problem. And As far as Gaming goes, I'm fine with PSU as my main thing (if it becomes aswome) Nothing in the foreseeable future that I want for my PC. As long as I can turn down the graphics and reach above mminimum requirements I'll be happy with PSU. I'm cancelling my PSO XBOX Live Hunters License tomorrow (not worth the $), so here's hoping on PSU being the shiznit.

Hmmmm... Does the 1.6 Ghz Processer matter? Or can the 1 GB RAM (that I'll have once I upgrade) make up for it? I've notice that my Intergrated Video Card intrudes into the rest of my RAM, more then the 128VRAM that's suppost to be its max. So as long as it does that for PSU I should be fine, right?

VioletSkye
Dec 28, 2005, 10:25 PM
On 2005-12-28 18:02, Kimil wrote:
Hmm... The guys at the Source said that ASUS makes there LAPtops with 2 RAM ports, but one is left empty so I already have a 512MB Ram stick in there and One emtpy port o.o I could just buy another 512 DDR RAM. I still can't enter my BIOS though...

Cool, pop in another 512MB stick of RAM and you should be good to go http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Entering the BIOS is different on different machines. The program BahnKnakyu is referring to is CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php). It's a pretty good program and easy to use, but there is a better program called Everest that gives you way more info. The home version is no longer available for free from their site, but you can get the latest release EVEREST Free Edition 2.20 (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html) from majorgeeks.com. Either program will tell you exactly what type of RAM you have and whether or not it really is 1 or 2 sticks currently being used.

As for BIOS, you can usually get into it by pressing either the DEL, ESC, F2, F12 or F1 key. Reading through a post on another board, someone mentioned that it was the ESC key. Press ESC when the ASUS logo comes up when you first turn on the laptop.

On 2005-12-28 18:45, BahnKnakyu wrote:
A majority of the graphics work is done by the graphics card - I can't remember if integrated graphics basically means that the computer does all the graphics processing, but if it's done on a separate card then you should be fine. (VioletSkye help me out here. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif )Else if it's done by the computer itself, then yeah, you'll need to upgrade.

Good luck. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

On machines with integrated video, their is a separate graphics controller that is in charge of DVMT (Dynamic Video Memory Technology.) Basically DVMT dynamically allocates the system RAM for use as video memory. The amount of video memory allocated depends upon the amount requested by the operating system. When the memory is no longer required, it is returned to the operating system for use by other applications or system functions. Memory can be allocated up to the maximum limit set by the graphics driver (which in your case is 128MB.) The graphics controller handles most of the processing and calculating of textures, the rendering of 3d scenes, etc. The actual memory dedicated to video is generally used for storing texture info. The CPU does handle some of the geometric transformations for integrated motherboards. I won't get into the technical side of it (floating-point numbers) other than to say that the better your video card, the less your CPU has to do.

Kimil
Dec 28, 2005, 10:41 PM
"the better your video card, the less your CPU has to do."

Okay, and thats where craming it with RAM comes in to play right? ^+^

VioletSkye
Dec 28, 2005, 11:01 PM
On 2005-12-28 19:41, Kimil wrote:
"the better your video card, the less your CPU has to do."

Okay, and thats where craming it with RAM comes in to play right? ^+^

The real benefit to having more RAM (espacially with onboard video) is that you have more system memory to use when the graphics controller is allocating memory for video. Clear as mud, right LOL. What I mean by that is if for example your game is using 128MB of your system memory for video, that leaves you with only 384MB of memory to run applications. If you upgraded to 1gig (1024MB) of RAM, then when video is using 128MB, you have 896MB of memory left for applications. The more RAM you have, the more info it can store, meaning your application won't have to access the CD or harddrive as much for the needed files. This is especially helpful if you are multi-tasking and have multiple applications running (which then brings us to dual core processors, but thats another story lol.)

If you have 2 pcs with the exact same specs except for RAM, you will notice a difference in performance for some applications. If the first pc has 1gig of RAM and the second pc has 512MB of RAM and an application needs a total allocation of 700MB for all info, then the pc with 1gig of RAM will run smoother because it never needs to access a CD or harddrive whereas the 512MB pc will. Thats a pretty simplistic explanation and not "exactly" how it works, but it does give you the general idea.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-12-28 20:05 ]</font>

Kimil
Dec 28, 2005, 11:38 PM
On 2005-12-28 20:01, VioletSkye wrote:

If the first pc has 1gig of RAM and the second pc has 512MB of RAM and an application needs a total allocation of 700MB for all info, then the pc with 1gig of RAM will run smoother because it never needs to access a CD or harddrive whereas the 512MB pc will. Thats a pretty simplistic explanation and not "exactly" how it works, but it does give you the general idea.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-12-28 20:05 ]</font>

I understand most of that... but what do you mean by "access a CD or harddrive" sry...

VioletSkye
Dec 29, 2005, 12:02 AM
The more files that can be stored in RAM to be used by an application, the less it needs to grab files from someplace else such as a CD or from the installation directory. Say you want to use a simple program that needs 256KB of data to run, it can store all of that data in RAM when it loads so that it no longer has to access those files from your harddrive. Getting info from RAM is far quicker than having it retrieved from the harddrive.

Kimil
Dec 29, 2005, 12:18 AM
Oh, so if you have crapy ram, then it stores what would be put on the ram into the hardrive, and doing this would slow down the process? like it would eat up the Processing speed?

VioletSkye
Dec 29, 2005, 12:45 AM
On 2005-12-28 21:18, Kimil wrote:
Oh, so if you have crapy ram, then it stores what would be put on the ram into the hardrive, and doing this would slow down the process? like it would eat up the Processing speed?

Not exactly. When you use a pc, you are basically calling/processing sets of instructions and retrieving data. The first place a CPU looks for that is in its L1 (level 1) cache. If it can't find it there it proceeds to L2 cache (you'll notice that more expensive/faster cpu's generally have more cache.) If it can't find the data it needs there, it proceeds to look in RAM. If it doesn't find what it needs in RAM it goes looking for it on the harddrive (generally in a specific area that is predefined.) The data that it looks for is already on the harddrive (generally in the installation directory or possibly from a system folder.)

Accessing data from L1, L2 and RAM is alot faster then retrieving it from the harddrive. This is where the whole thing on FSB (front side bus) comes into play, but there isn't any real need to cover any of that for this thread. Just know that FSB deals with how quickly data passes from the CPU to other devices such as RAM, PCI, harddrives, etc. BSB (back side bus) is used to connect the CPU with the L2 cache and runs faster than FSB.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-12-28 21:56 ]</font>

Kimil
Dec 29, 2005, 12:51 AM
I should be playing you for this, they're like lessons http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Hmm... I get it even less, but oh well... its okay. As long As I know what I should and SHouldn't upgrade And now I know I should first Upgrade the Ram, and then just est the game and see if it works with the 1 GB RAM. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

VioletSkye
Dec 29, 2005, 01:01 AM
On 2005-12-28 21:51, Kimil wrote:
I should be playing you for this, they're like lessons http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Hmm... I get it even less, but oh well... its okay. As long As I know what I should and SHouldn't upgrade And now I know I should first Upgrade the Ram, and then just est the game and see if it works with the 1 GB RAM. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Sounds like a plan http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Its hard to say without running the game and testing it, but I would imagine it will run at a descent enough setting and should look pretty good http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Kimil
Dec 29, 2005, 01:05 AM
cool, thanks man for all the advice and info. If you're getting PSU, lets play sometime k?