PDA

View Full Version : Extra Characgters... Extra Cost?

Kimil
Jan 1, 2006, 03:52 PM
Do you think that making extra Characters will cost you extra money like it did in FFXI?

Do you think we'll only get one Character? or maybe a max of 4 or something?

OdinTyler
Jan 1, 2006, 04:16 PM
Nope because Sega doesnt rip off players the way Square does. (Sega does it in different ways LOL).

Ryna
Jan 1, 2006, 04:18 PM
I expect you'll have a set number of character slots. On Blue Burst, you get 4. I think they will use the same number for PSU. Still, that is just speculation since nothing official has been said about that aspect of the game.

OdinTyler
Jan 1, 2006, 05:33 PM
Still, youre not going to have to pay PER character as FFXI is. Thats the most idiotic RPG idea Ive ever heard of.

Niki
Jan 1, 2006, 06:21 PM
A set amount seems likely, and the set amount will probably be more than 1. 4 or 5 seems to be the market standard, though i'd be satisfied with 2 for 10 bucks a month. Not that more would be bad...

PrinceBrightstar
Jan 1, 2006, 07:36 PM
4 would be fine because you could play each species.

OdinTyler
Jan 1, 2006, 11:25 PM
True. Unless you want male & female of each race, then, youd need at least 8. Then, of course there are those that love 1 or 2 races & want to raise them with each class in mind. Naturally, this gets insane. 4-8 would work fine.

Kimil
Jan 2, 2006, 02:02 AM
Or... like us who don't spend all of OUr time on online games, wouldn't have ennough time to raise 8 caracters
O.o

Kent
Jan 2, 2006, 04:12 AM
The paying for extra characters thing is FFXI is totally justified, because of the Job system; You didn't have to make another character to play another job. And don't get started on the race issue; it's been proven, time and again, that player skill makes a bigger difference than character race, as far as efficacy with a job goes. :/ More characters in FFXI is basically akin to wasting server space, unless you reeeeeally wanted to change races, have a mule, or share an account with somebody.

...Back on topic, I'm pretty sure I read there will be four character slots per account on PSU, which is just enough for everyone to have one character of each race.

OdinTyler
Jan 2, 2006, 11:11 AM
On 2006-01-01 23:02, Kimil wrote:
Or... like us who don't spend all of OUr time on online games, wouldn't have ennough time to raise 8 caracters
O.o

When the game comes out, you get back to me on how many characters you have. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

As for mule chars, I learned the hard way that you need at least one banker char. They REALLY come in handy. If you do this, that leaves possibly only 3 chars to play around with. Odds are everyone will have a main & at least 1 alt. Id just hope that in having say, only 4 chars, theres ALOT of bank space. Thats what Im concerned about.

DarK-SuN
Jan 2, 2006, 12:13 PM
Hmmm, if we consider that PSOBB had 4 character slots because there's also 4 team slots, maybe PSU will have 6 character slots since PSU has 6 team slots.

Or, like someone said, go with 8 slots to have all the gender/race combinations possible.
I'd much prefer that, but we'll see when the time comes; only 1 more month (roughly) for the JP version to be released.

OdinTyler
Jan 2, 2006, 03:59 PM
SOMEONE huh? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Well, I noticed another someone said that because party size is upped to six, perhaps that we'll get six chars now. Thats entirely possible. Guess we wait for more info or when the JP version is out.

Alisha
Jan 3, 2006, 10:25 AM
had you actually played ffxi you would know its idiotic to make more characters with the exceptions of muling. i would never want to go through genkais again especial not that old bastard maat

OdinTyler
Jan 3, 2006, 03:10 PM
Not true. People like to play different character styles, classes, etc. Mains & alts are in all types of games. FFXI is different in that you have to pay per char & that itself is retarded. If someone were to play FFXI with one char & one mule thats still 2 chars you have to pay for. Job system or not, it doesnt justify a company's right to charge per char. Thats ripping off the player & Ill never agree to that. Based on that alone, alot of ppl would agree with me on this.

Brus
Jan 3, 2006, 03:31 PM
On 2006-01-03 12:10, OdinTyler wrote:
Not true. People like to play different character styles, classes, etc. Mains & alts are in all types of games. FFXI is different in that you have to pay per char & that itself is retarded. If someone were to play FFXI with one char & one mule thats still 2 chars you have to pay for. Job system or not, it doesnt justify a company's right to charge per char. Thats ripping off the player & Ill never agree to that. Based on that alone, alot of ppl would agree with me on this.

In terms of FFXI, I disagree in that most people don't play alts because of the job switching, alts would be a waste of time. BUT in that game the bank space is so ridiculously stupidly small that MULES are essential, so I do agree that square enix is ripping the player off.

F-o-x
Jan 3, 2006, 03:34 PM
Although I don't like the idea of paying per character I'll have to agree that in FFXI it was justified. FFXI is one MMORPG that doesn't lock you into one thing, you can be anything (Job) you want all on the same character. Thats the reason I went with Hume, because I knew I'd want to be decent at whatever job I wanted to play. However its already been established that any race could perform any job effectively right to the end of the game.

However I knew after I hit level 20 that I'd never create another character I intended to level ever again. The amount of quests and things that you simply have to do for a character... (Choco license, rank 5, zilart missions, bunch of other crap I've forgotten) Its just seems pointless to me to have to go through hundreds of hours of that crap again.

Zindura
Jan 3, 2006, 03:54 PM
The pay-per-create system is FFXI is wierd. Despite there being jobs and such, arn't the characters just bits of data to Playonline? Data that is stored and relayed to your computer that archives stats, clothing, mog safe, ect.? Seeing as only one character can be animated on an account in whatever server of Vana'diel (I think), why should extra characters be a problem?

PSU seems to have many things being server-side, but are areas hosted by a creater of a room or collective peoples in the room, like in Guild Wars? I don't recall what system was used in PSO to maintain rooms, but I never had an instance where monsters lagged and it wasn't my fault. Does that mean SEGA hosts the rooms?

Back off topic, though, I haven't experimented with a mule character, since my Taru + Elvaan scheme works fine, and the two characters are hardly ever far away from each other. That reminds me, what is the period of time an account can be deactivated before your characters are deleted? 0.0

!@#$, I think my characters just got axed. D'oh.

Kupi
Jan 3, 2006, 04:09 PM
On 2006-01-03 12:54, Zindura wrote:
The pay-per-create system is FFXI is wierd. Despite there being jobs and such, arn't the characters just bits of data to Playonline? Data that is stored and relayed to your computer that archives stats, clothing, mog safe, ect.? Seeing as only one character can be animated on an account in whatever server of Vana'diel (I think), why should extra characters be a problem?

Database queries. Every time someone, somewhere asks the server about a particular character, the server has to fish through a record of every character in existence (within certain boundaries). The more characters there are, the more work is involved in this process. And any machinery made to do work will wear down. So, if you put a new character on the server, you're adding to the workload, and raising the upkeep cost, hence why they have to charge for extra characters.

OdinTyler
Jan 3, 2006, 05:02 PM
Good points are being brought up here. Still, others should be mentioned:

1. I can understand someone not wanting to do all the quests, tasks, etc that must be done for EACH char in FFXI. You could easily spend 100 or more hrs easy per char. What I understand of the classes is that it takes so long just to get to a certain class or specialty class. If you put forth that much effort, why would you then undo it just to go a completely different route? That would be the benefit of another char.

2. Having played enough online games I know that a mule is a must. Bank space (for whatever reasons) can be quite limiting & until we're given ways to store 'space within space' as done on PC games, mules DO help beneficially.

3. Regardless of what game you play: FFXI, EQ on PC, EQOA, etc. youre accessing data that the server must then process. A server will get bogged down whether you have one char or ten. The truth is, servers get bogged down more when more ppl are on at one time or there are alot of monsters (extra data) on screen. After awhile, the server needs to do refreshing or you have freezeups, crashes, etc. How many chars you own doesnt play a part in this as youre only using one char at a time. The chars are stored separately & then, interact in the present environment.

I dont know if any of the issues we bring up have been taken into consideration for PSU. Given that we have server-side saving, yet, we can play on any server we wish, that should help in congestion. If so, each server should run smoother. However, since your chars can 'jump ship' so to speak, thats going to play harder on the servers themselves. If perhaps the different functions were better compartmented, we wouldnt have to worry about item spacing or freezeups & there would definitely not be a need to charge per char. FFXI is the only one I know of that does so. If other games dont, why the one?

Blobmiester
Jan 3, 2006, 08:03 PM
If other games dont, why the one?

Funny, Odin, you asked a question, yet you alreadly awnsered it.

Square rips its players off. Sega just does it in other ways. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Or it was something like that... lol I remeber reading it.

Anyway, yes FFXV..something, is a rip-off to most and to the select few its not, because either:
A: Their Rich
B: Their Parents are nice, and rich
C: They only use one char.

ME Personally, would like to us all the races, and class combos I could. I like to play which char. I feel like. Wether their skin be blue, orange, or spikey. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

OdinTyler
Jan 3, 2006, 10:40 PM
Not trying to answer my own question. LOL Just food for thought, for other minds to wonder about...

Kent
Jan 4, 2006, 01:39 AM
I've played FFXI for two years, and not once, have I needed a mule character.

I did my inventory and mog safe expansion quests, and Square Enix is offering, and regularly improving, a way for characters to place full sets of equipment into a separate storage.

And also, no, the "main/alt" thing is solved by the job system. Example: My "main" is Monk, it was my first job, and I got it to 75. My "alts" are Red Mage and Samurai, both of which I have room in my mog safe for equipment, as well as space for a couple other jobs' equipment, as well. Not to mention, that my inventory is almost twice the initial size, and my mog safe can hold a good bit more than it originally could, too. And this isn't even taking into consideration what I have as far as Storage room goes...

All you really get from making another character is another choice of race/sex, starting job, and having to go through all of the limit breaks, first-time artifact quests, and rank missions again. :/ Let's not forget about having to go through Valkurm again, getting support job items again, and having to go through all that levelling with a fresh, new character... again...

It really isn't worth it, or necessary, to have another character...

OdinTyler
Jan 4, 2006, 09:42 AM
Ah but see you admit to having a Red Mage & a Samurai as well? Two other chars that could act as mules. See? Of course you didnt need one! LOL Youre funny. However, if youre allowed to do quests to get more space, thats pretty cool. Never saw that before. As long as its not a completely insane quest, that could be interesting. We could all use more space.

Kent
Jan 4, 2006, 11:08 AM
On 2006-01-04 06:42, OdinTyler wrote:
Ah but see you admit to having a Red Mage & a Samurai as well? Two other chars that could act as mules. See? Of course you didnt need one! LOL Youre funny. However, if youre allowed to do quests to get more space, thats pretty cool. Never saw that before. As long as its not a completely insane quest, that could be interesting. We could all use more space.

The hell are you talking about? I have ONE character. ONE character, that is Monk, Red Mage, and Samurai. Was I not clear on something? :/

See this (http://img351.imageshack.us/img351/8018/wattarimnkequipment7bs.jpg) character? One character, three high-level jobs, due to the jobs change system; this is my only character in FFXI.

Alisha
Jan 4, 2006, 12:33 PM
i think odin just doesnt understand.lets say you are a lvl 75 summoner. if you go into your moghouse and change your job to warrior and you have never leveled warrior before your warrior will be level 1.its not like final fantasy tactics where you have a base level and job levels.also to give you an idea the chocobo license quest takes roughly 3 real time hours,because you have to feed it 3 times and wait 1 hour between each feeding

Kent:lol @ waghs >.> *hugs her Avengers*
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/Serieath/59cbcc41.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2006-01-04 09:35 ]</font>

Kent
Jan 4, 2006, 12:36 PM
Laugh all you want, but I'm still the #1 Monk on my server. ._.

OdinTyler
Jan 4, 2006, 04:42 PM
Kent wrote:
My "main" is Monk, it was my first job, and I got it to 75. My "alts" are Red Mage and Samurai, both of which I have room in my mog safe for equipment

Your words, not mine. Main & alts refer to individual chars. Having not played FFXI, you gotta be a bit more specific. However, I have played FFV the original FF game to have jobs so I understand those basic concepts. You sounded kinda frustrated at me & Idk why. I was just trying to understand where you were coming from & the above statement I THOUGHT sounded clear to me. Perhaps I was wrong...

Kent
Jan 5, 2006, 04:43 AM
I was making an analogy, not saying I had multiple characters... It looked pretty obvious to me. :/

Anyway, a single character can have a "main" job that they prefer to play the most, and "alt" jobs that they prefer to play as well, without making different characters, you can play any job you want, assuming you have access to it (most jobs, you have to do a quest at a certain point in order to be able to play it).

Are we clear on this now? :/ I'm explaining how having to pay for extra characters in FFXI is completely justified, as you can do pretty much anything with just one character.