PDA

View Full Version : offline, online

littleman2347
Jan 3, 2006, 08:59 PM
Does anyone know if what ever we find will be cross compatable to online with our custom characters ,or lvling. I have a feeling that it will not happen but we can hope. Becasue personaly i would like to have all the hard work that i put into offline on to the online character that we will have. Though there is always the posibility that we will have to work each on individualy.
O ya are the character's saved to the server or the memory card

Brus
Jan 3, 2006, 09:05 PM
On 2006-01-03 17:59, littleman2347 wrote:
Does anyone know if what ever we find will be cross compatable to online with our custom characters ,or lvling. I have a feeling that it will not happen but we can hope. Becasue personaly i would like to have all the hard work that i put into offline on to the online character that we will have. Though there is always the posibility that we will have to work each on individualy.
O ya are the character's saved to the server or the memory card

The characters for online are strictly online and saved server side to prevent cheating. Offline is a different game in which you play as a set character.

littleman2347
Jan 3, 2006, 09:07 PM
Dand that is alot of wasted time, but though it might be fun i would like to have some of the weps i find offline. But would you explain the server side way of stoping cheating i just doesnt make sence.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: littleman2347 on 2006-01-03 18:08 ]</font>

Dre_o
Jan 3, 2006, 09:26 PM
As far as I know about the server side saving is this, there is no saving onto memory cards so thus prevents things like Action Replay from being any use. Any other way of prevention due to server side saving is beyond my technical knowledge.

Espilonarge
Jan 3, 2006, 09:45 PM
The only thing saved to the memory card is your offline saves and the updates. Anything online such as your characters and housing is stored on the server.

Unfortunly since I don't have much infomation on PSU, I just have to go by what things I scavage up off the net. n.n;

Kano-Okami
Jan 3, 2006, 10:09 PM
I still believe the 2 will play a part with one another, regaurdless of the character interaction.. even if it is mynute, like an NPC showing a secret passage way on the offline mode that can be traversed online or as grand as maybe having a passcode entered somewhere for a desired effect or something to that extent
..I just refuse to believe the 2 are "entirely" seperate.

Brus
Jan 3, 2006, 10:11 PM
Probably a chance of unlocking extra clothes or maybe room stuff that has no affect other than cosmetic. I doubt they'd do anything more than that for fear of exploitation (a very justified fear I might add).

OdinTyler
Jan 3, 2006, 10:22 PM
Its even been said by ST devs that the 2 are different games. True, they take place in the same system, same story & all. Offline is for those who want a regular RPG to play with. Online is great cause you can create your own char & REALLY roleplay as if 'you' were there. Also, as stated, online only chars prevent such devices as Pro Action Replays from being used. This is because theyd be spotted online & youd be immediately banned. I think in the long run its going to work out for the best. Just think of it as you having 2 games in 1 package.

Espilonarge
Jan 4, 2006, 03:22 AM
Back some time ago I read something in an EGM magazine or another that certain things could be found offline and transfered to the online game (kinda like new contents being unlocked and being passed on.) Unfortunly as I said earlier I'm not sure whats going on, I only get handed infomation so I can't verify it personally.

Either way PSU's offline RPG makes up for the lack of a real story in PSO. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

littleman2347
Jan 4, 2006, 12:21 PM
As far as i know many people know very little about the game. Realy though i think the offline lvl and online lvl should be the same and same with weps. Because, that is a waste of time but i will not complain if they dont i just realy realy want the game.

Kent
Jan 4, 2006, 12:56 PM
There's the thing: It's not a waste of time, it's two separate games.

To put things into focus, what you seem to be wanting is the equivalent of taking Materia from Final Fantasy VII, and putting it in Final Fantasy VIII.

And about server-side saving, the main way people would cheat on PSO, is hacking, or otherwise editing, their character save files offline. When they're in offline mode, that can't be caught cheating by the server, and any offline cheat prevention that's ever implemented, can be worked around, making the attempts to prevent offline cheating almost futile.

Server-side saving accomplishes cheat-prevention one main way:

You don't have a copy of your character's data to freely edit. This alone, will vastly reduce the amount and severity of cheats. As well, you can't disconnect yourself from the server and keep playing. Since everything is handled server-side, you can't do anything with your character without the server knowing about it. This way, the server can keep an eye on all of the character data, all the time, and no changes made to it stay without the server's say so.

Shadow_Wing
Jan 4, 2006, 04:00 PM
Not only is server saved chars prevent cheating it also makes it easier for the people at ST moderate the game much better. It also saves up on our side saving, by not having to save all the character information on your side since they took the HD out of the picture this becomes an issue for PS2 users.

Unless the person had some sort of way to access their account data via remotely it would be much more difficult to make cheats for the game.

OdinTyler
Jan 4, 2006, 04:37 PM
I think most of us are saying the same thing over & over, 10 times over. Long story short, its good that online is a separate mode & game altogether, right? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif