PDA

View Full Version : PSU Delayed in Japan!

DizzyDi
Jan 5, 2006, 12:56 PM
http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2006/1010.html

Does this mean that we're gunna get PSU later as well? Yarr, I can't take the anxiousness anymore, GIVE US A U.S. RELEASE DATE SEGA!

Lord_DS
Jan 5, 2006, 01:01 PM
i read the same things in a french news, they said that the jp stores have recently listed the game for the 30 march. But no official source, maybe an answer tomorrow in the official update...

F-o-x
Jan 5, 2006, 01:08 PM
Hmm... A bit of sad news for a few of our importers, but the PC version is still on track so its not all that bad.

OdinTyler
Jan 5, 2006, 01:18 PM
Oh this is un-freakin-real! Then, to say the PC version isnt necessarily delayed? Does that make any sense? Why would 1 version be ready & another not? This is blowing apart the whole idea that the servers are shared. It doesnt make any sense.

DarK-SuN
Jan 5, 2006, 01:28 PM
Curiously enough, IGN says that both versions are delayed.
IMO, I think some sites are taking the "PSU delayed" news as being PS2 only, when it means it's both versions of PSU delayed; let's face it, many gaming sites are forgetting (and ignoring) the fact PSU is going to be released for BOTH the PS2 and the PC and are considering it a PS2 game only.

This, however, does mean good news (as weird as it may sound).
It means they found something wrong with it and are fixing it, or are even adding new stuff for us to enjoy, most likely related with the online mode since apparently the offline mode is already finished.

OdinTyler
Jan 5, 2006, 01:32 PM
Well, no one wants either version delayed. However, if it benefits PSU as a whole, it CAN be a good thing. Ppl need to remember there are 2 versions & as Ive said before, certain websites & magazines are not helping with their very broad analyses of the situation. Are there any other sources of info that have a better grasp of the situation?

zandra117
Jan 5, 2006, 01:38 PM
I think this may be a translation error. Wasnt March 30th the U.S. release date?

OdinTyler
Jan 5, 2006, 01:44 PM
No, the US ended up being said it would be released in May. However, that was only retailers & not a more reliable source of info. This announcement pertains to the JP versions.

uhawww
Jan 5, 2006, 04:49 PM
This *could* be a good thing.
There aren't that many cross platform online games out there and releasing the floodgates could prove foolhardy.
Heck, FFXI's cross-platform release was split from May (PS2) to November (PC) of 2002.

(Anyways I'm gettin' the PC version and if that's still on track, it's all good)

Brus
Jan 5, 2006, 04:54 PM
Maybe they're delaying for a world-wide release... naaaaah that'd be too good.

DizzyDi
Jan 5, 2006, 05:09 PM
I think the reason they're delaying the PS2 version and not the PC is cause of possible glitches/problems/whatever in the PS2 version's engine. Maybe frame rate slow down and what not. This game is soppose to be MASSIVE afterall, I wouldn't be surprised if 'ol Granpa PS2 is havin trouble keepin up.

OdinTyler
Jan 5, 2006, 06:20 PM
I wouldnt be so quick to pick on the PS2's processing power. Remember, the 2 versions will share servers. This means EVERYTHING is going to have to work equally well on both versions. Its not so much the PS2 has to work to keep up with the PC as the PC as to be modded to work with a video game console platform. How successful ST is at this will have a greater impact on us later when we the players get onboard.

Ryna
Jan 5, 2006, 06:20 PM
Before I post this on the front page, are there any other sites confirming this news? I'm not seeing the original source that was cited on the rpgfan page.

Niki
Jan 5, 2006, 07:59 PM
Hm, five weeks i could do; three more months i cannot.

This probably means that i will just wait for the US console version, as a mere four-week headstart on the US version is not worth $400 in PS2 gear, and a five-month headstart is not worth $1500 in PC hardware. Guess i'll have to return those Japanese textbooks i bought. How disappointing...

Still, there is the silver lining that a delay most likely means a better game. And that's priceless.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Niki on 2006-01-05 21:04 ]</font>

Brus
Jan 5, 2006, 08:22 PM
You know, reading all the places that say it was delayed, they don't really give any official sources, and the one source that IGN seemed to point out was that "retailers in japan said." I'm beginning to doubt it was delayed, but we'll see tomorrow when the site gets its weekly update.

...it really seems this was just pulled out of someone's butt.

Tomeeboy
Jan 5, 2006, 09:10 PM
Another possibility that Brus touched on... If they are in fact delaying the game in Japan, perhaps they'll keep the US release on schedule (whatever schedule that might be) to shorten the gap between release dates worldwide.

ajenteks
Jan 5, 2006, 09:27 PM
This is Sonic Team... which PSO games haven't been delayed extensively in the past, and why would PSU be any different?

Inazuma
Jan 5, 2006, 09:32 PM
i dont believe the story. sega still says 2/16 so thats what im going with.

Espilonarge
Jan 5, 2006, 10:00 PM
I was told back a while ago that the offical Sega website seems to be abit "behind" sometimes. Even so, its an offical source and can only be declared as such since Sonic Team is a Japan based company. Unless otherwise stated by Sonic Team or Sega itself, I will declare whats been said here and on other websites as a "rumor" and not a true "fact."

GaijinPUnch
Jan 5, 2006, 10:21 PM
Ryna:
Some Japanese site (http://www.ktplan.ne.jp/~Gheaven1/pso/topics/psu.html) listing PS2 as 03.30 and PC as unknown.

Amazon JP (http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000A85PIE/250-0877609-4061833) still listed as 02.16

Sega Direct still has it listed as 02.16, but they're definitely not always the fastest.

If you read the 2ch PSU thread (http://game10.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/netgame/1136475832/) they report of many online game shops reporting the PS2 version as delayed, but the PC version as set for an 02.16 release. I think anything on the front page should reflect that the general consensus at the moment is... slight confusion.

OdinTyler
Jan 5, 2006, 10:25 PM
Thats an understatement. True, ST is causing a hunger for the game. However, theyre causing ppl to become seriously POed cause they cant even come up with a straight release date for either console or PC, JP or abroad. For whatever reasons, its highly unprofessional to make ppl wait this long & basically, in the 11th hour, delay again. On top of that, to not even solidify a date then. Thats just not kosher.

ajenteks
Jan 5, 2006, 10:34 PM
On 2006-01-05 19:25, OdinTyler wrote:
For whatever reasons, its highly unprofessional to make ppl wait this long & basically, in the 11th hour, delay again.

There are a multitude of reasons for why Sonic Team could be doing this. It could be a marketing scam, or it could be that their bug testers are being thorough and ST is making the responsible, professional decision to release the cleanest game they possibly can, when it's ready to be released. Or it could be something else, but I'm going to be optimistic.

Remember, the PS2 doesn't have a popular hard-drive that is with every system, and as such, significant patching really isn't a possibility.

EspioKaos
Jan 5, 2006, 11:30 PM
On 2006-01-05 15:20, Ryna wrote:
Before I post this on the front page, are there any other sites confirming this news? I'm not seeing the original source that was cited on the rpgfan page.
The official site was just updated with the change (in fact, that was the only update on the site), confirming a March 30th release date for both PC and PS2 versions of the game. The reason given for the delay is to better polish the game, add more content to it, etc.

GaijinPUnch
Jan 5, 2006, 11:51 PM
its highly unprofessional

On the contrary, it is very professional. Products are delayed all the time regardless of what they are. Unprofessional would be releasing a buggy product.

On top of that, to not even solidify a date then.

Date solidfied. Besides, moaning about this is just like the countless people moaning about such a late original release date. Sega officially never said anything... all inferences of the delay until they updated the main site came from distributors, not Sega.

I doubt they're are adding or fixing any one specific thing. They probably just missed the mark on guestimating how much work had to be done.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GaijinPUnch on 2006-01-05 20:52 ]</font>

DizzyDi
Jan 6, 2006, 12:08 AM
I guess I was wrong about Granpa PS2, hes still got some kick in him. Anyways...This is kinda bittersweet news. On the light side, they're adding more stuff/polishing up old stuff/doing both. On the dark side...This probably means the U.S. release date is pushed back a bit as well. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif If only I had a time machine...

OdinTyler
Jan 6, 2006, 12:21 AM
Guys, you misunderstand me. In other posts, if ST delays the game to work out kinks, I understand & respect that. That is the right thing to do. My issue is when you have various dates floating around, with retailers thinking one thing, certain sites saying another, & us in the middle. On top of that, theres rumor that the PC version is still coming out on time but the PS2 version ISNT? With linked servers, I dont see how that makes much sense. If there were a consistent date or timeframe mentioned by ST, not a 3rd party source, I could understand. That was what I meant. All the mixups are what I was talking about.

Brus
Jan 6, 2006, 12:25 AM
On 2006-01-05 21:21, OdinTyler wrote:
Guys, you misunderstand me. In other posts, if ST delays the game to work out kinks, I understand & respect that. That is the right thing to do. My issue is when you have various dates floating around, with retailers thinking one thing, certain sites saying another, & us in the middle. On top of that, theres rumor that the PC version is still coming out on time but the PS2 version ISNT? With linked servers, I dont see how that makes much sense. If there were a consistent date or timeframe mentioned by ST, not a 3rd party source, I could understand. That was what I meant. All the mixups are what I was talking about.

The only dates you really should be going by are the ones on the official websites. All the rest are just folderol. The official site's original release date was 2/16 for both platforms, and now its 3/30 for both platforms. There have only been 2 release dates released by Sonic team, the original, and now the postponement. But I do understand how the dates can be annoying as hell, specially with no american release date at all.

But hey, no point in feeling bad, let's just pull out our bbqs and lawn chairs and have a good time bbqing while waiting for the game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brus on 2006-01-05 21:27 ]</font>

GaijinPUnch
Jan 6, 2006, 12:30 AM
The only dates you really should be going by are the ones on the official websites

Bingo. Look up at my comment on equating getting pissed about this to everyone getting all uppity about the original February release (when people speculated December). If it doesn't come from Sega, take it with a shaker of salt.

I don't see why this is such an issue (other than impatience). Or would you rather have them put out some crap that Square Enix does? (http://japan.classicgaming.gamespy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=991)

OdinTyler
Jan 6, 2006, 12:34 AM
Brus & Gai, I understand. Im disappointed, but, Im still waiting. Believe me, if I could start barbecuing now, Id love that. However, its after midnight here, still January...& I dont own a BBQ. LOL When I do go to a BBQ this summer, Ill do it in honor of PSU (as I KNOW it will be out by then).

Shadow_Wing
Jan 6, 2006, 02:10 AM
Aww man March 30, ah well lets hope the US date and the JP date gap is reletively small =D (I'd import if it didn't cost me considerably more X,x;; ) Well not the 1st time I've been dissapointed in another delay.

GaijinPUnch
Jan 6, 2006, 04:10 AM
In all honesty, I'm kind of happy w/ the delay. I spent a lot of money on a PCB that just came out in November and I'm not quite done with it. Mid-feb maybe, but by the end of March, if I haven't attained the score I'm after, I'm done. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

PrinceBrightstar
Jan 6, 2006, 05:36 AM
Or it could be that someone actually decided to be smart there for a change and they're enabling USB support for patches on the PS2 which would explain why one is delayed and the other isn't. However the official PSU website says both are delayed and that is how i've posted it on the front page.

...so, guess we'll be getting that music CD first.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2006-01-06 02:58 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Jan 6, 2006, 06:12 AM
I'm also alright with the idea of a delay. While I've got my pre-order in, the money won't be drawn from my account until the product ships - so I'll have a little time to catch up on bills which slipped a bit over the holidays. Plus I plan to take a day or two of vacation from work when the game comes out - so I have some time to prepare for the short paycheck as well.

Hopefully I'll be getting my tax refund check around that time - so that might suck a bit since I plan to get a Xbox360 with that money. All that cash spent, and once I get PSU I know it's just going to sit and collect dust for a month or so.

I first heard about PSU as a rumor back when v.2 launched for the Dreamcast - so I've been waiting about 4 years for the game. I can wait another month.

uhawww
Jan 6, 2006, 07:42 AM
Gah. Both editions delayed...
Oh well,
This means I get to buy Monster Hunter 2 now as well.

eXo
Jan 6, 2006, 11:37 AM
well i will rather for them to wait and get it right, then for then to throw some rushed half ass game out on to the market for some players to @#$%^ and complain about http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Niki
Jan 6, 2006, 07:24 PM
RFOnline it is then.

Getintothegame
Jan 6, 2006, 07:51 PM
On 2006-01-05 18:10, Tomeeboy wrote:
... If they are in fact delaying the game in Japan, perhaps they'll keep the US release on schedule...

That would be nice. Then one side of the world wouldn't have an advantage over the other and all.