PDA

View Full Version : For those used to a Force style of playing

Spellbinder
Jan 5, 2006, 04:33 PM
How do you think the use of Technics will compare to what we've now become accustomed to as Forces? As far as I know we're only allowed to use two Technics per weapon, but the battle system seems revamped so I can only begin to imagine how it will play out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spellbinder on 2006-01-05 13:34 ]</font>

Kano-Okami
Jan 5, 2006, 04:53 PM
Hmm..I'd like to know more about it myself. I'm still foggy on how the weapon system will work and the whole photon arts.

DizzyDi
Jan 5, 2006, 05:17 PM
I'm actually a little confuzzled on the battle system myself. If I read right though, the site says that magic-style weapons will be able to hold 4 equipped spells instead of 2. Still not much though. I think forces will need to have a few wands/canes/etc. with them when they go into battle. Maybe have a wand with a lot of fire spells equipped, then switch to your wand with healing spells when things get hectic? I guess we'll have to wait n' see when the game comes out. (I'm seeing a lot of people saying that recently.)

Kent
Jan 5, 2006, 05:19 PM
Yeah, you need a hou equipped to be able to cast techniques.

You can stick to one style of play, if you want, but I'm guessing, from what I've seen, that in order to get the most out of the game, you have to mix it up with all three weapon categories. That sounds like a lot of fun to me.

Kano-Okami
Jan 5, 2006, 05:54 PM
I wonder if the technic level will matter when equipped to a melee weapon. I've heard that the techs can be used on the attack weapons to add an elemental effect, and if so, this would really appeal to Force type characters. The equipped techs might make the weapon drasticly stronger against enemies with its elemental weakness.

OdinTyler
Jan 5, 2006, 06:17 PM
Im prepared for only 2 spells per wep however if allowed 4, even better. If youre going to carry magic weps, best to apply spells that are benefitial & not just for attacking. I was thinking a wand for Shifta/Deband & another for Jellen/Zalure. If a wand could hold 4, then Id put all 4 on there. Maybe a Resta/Reverser one. Idk, I just think that if you can put what spells you want on what weps, you can organize yourself better. How youre playing will be reflected not only in weapon choice, but usage as well.

Spellbinder
Jan 5, 2006, 07:21 PM
The thought of assigning spells of a specific field to various weapons certainly leaves a bit to the imagination in terms of role playing doesn't it? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif A wand of healing or a staff of fire, sounds like fun to me.

Inazuma
Jan 5, 2006, 09:35 PM
it doesnt sound much different from how we play now. gotta carry around like 7 different weps to cover all the techs.

switch to pwand for ra techs
m piece for gi
s moon for simple
chao staff for s/d
cad for grants
etc

as long as its still viable to play a tech only style, we should be fine.

Uncle_bob
Jan 5, 2006, 09:37 PM
It's gonna be pretty damn awkward and stupid to shuffle through 5 or more weapons every few seconds just to use the tech you want. :|

ajenteks
Jan 5, 2006, 09:49 PM
I think this new system will provide a nice balance between casual magic casters and dedicated ones. With the non-FOs being limited to level 15-20 techniques in previous PSO iterations, it would get to the point that there was little incentive to even use any of the combat ones, and only a minor reason to use support techs. There's a chance that casting will actually be useful for non-FO/weapon-specialized characters now.

Basically, it seems like cutting back on the range of spells available for use at anytime instead of cutting their effectiveness.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ajenteks on 2006-01-05 18:58 ]</font>

Brus
Jan 5, 2006, 09:59 PM
I cant wait to make my SHIFTA/RESTA wand for whatever melee class I make.

OdinTyler
Jan 5, 2006, 10:13 PM
Im glad to see Ive inspired some of you guys. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Im trying to just go with the flow & work with this new system the best I can. Switching weps isnt too bad if you carry weps for various purposes. I just dont like having to hold O while I go through my list. The way you select weps on PSO worked alot better. I just pray theres a controller select option as I may want to adjust it. Other than that, I expect Ill carry around a couple types of weps til I get used to an area, then only carry what I need.

Kent
Jan 5, 2006, 11:20 PM
I think a good few of us were attempting to plan out our hous, already.

If you can, in fact, equip four techniques to a staff, I'll just carry two, maybe three around. One for support techniques, the other for Resta and some Gi-techniques.

Nai_Calus
Jan 6, 2006, 04:28 AM
On 2006-01-05 18:37, Uncle_bob wrote:
It's gonna be pretty damn awkward and stupid to shuffle through 5 or more weapons every few seconds just to use the tech you want. :|

Amen.

If it's two to a weapon... Urgh. Shifta, Deband, Jellen, Zalure, Resta, Anti, Gizonde, Rabarta, Rafoie(Assuming they keep the same support techs)... Then yeah, five weapons. Plus a weapon or two for physical fighting, though the system seems rather punitive to the idea of support melee FOing where you need to be able to react nearly instantly while fighting. Not as effective if you have to switch weapons first, losing a precious second or two. >.<

If it's four, it's better, but not by much. One for Jellen, Zalure, Resta and Anti(Four most often-used support techs), one for Shifta, Deband, Reverser and Rabarta, one for Rafoie and Gizonde and whatever else. Whee!

And of course meleeing while supporting is still going to be an issue either way.

(I incidentally know nobody who actually switches between tech boosting weapons on PSO. They generally pick one and stick with it. It takes too long to switch if you're actually actively casting, especially if you're soloing. Been there, tried that. Besides, if you want the BEST boosts, you're going to have to carry the three 9-star wands instead of Summit Moon. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif Club of Laconium, Mace of Adaman, whatever the hell it is of Zumiwhatsit, Magical Piece, Psycho Wand, Caduceus, Marina's Bag, Striker of Chao and if you're a non-FOnewearl Demonic Fork... X3)

Sigh. I have this horrible feeling we might see even fewer good support characters on PSU than we did on PSO, since few people are going to want to go to the specializing lengths for it. XP Maybe I'll just stick to melee characters and use techs occasionally.

...Oh, who am I kidding? I try to cast S/D with my HUmar and I've played him as support before in a team of androids. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

I still don't like it, but eh. I'll deal, somehow. I think PSO's battle system is retarded too, and look how much of my life I've wasted on that. XD

kazuma56
Jan 6, 2006, 04:59 AM
What you guys seem to be missing is the fact that PSU allows for a 6 person party, which means that we can have 2 of each character "build" per team (2 Ranger/Hunter/Force), so it'll make your role more significant. In PSO, if a group had a lvl 200 Fo<insert type here> join in with a lower lvl 120 Fomar, he'll get "cancelled" out due to the fact that the lvl 200 Fo would have all spells at max.

With this new system, most if not all lower levels and high levels in teams can still "be of use" because you won't have or need only 1 support character, but 2 or maybe even 3 depending on your team, which means more of a group playing mentality then just "Screw you guys, I can take this on my own" which, good or bad, is what made PSO easy because everything in the game could be done by yourself with any class...equaling no balance with what class you played.

Kent
Jan 6, 2006, 05:46 AM
It's a good thing they have one-handed hous, in this game. You could have a hou in your off-hand with Resta and Anti, then a Saber (or other one-handed melee weapon) in the other.

DeathMachine
Jan 6, 2006, 06:01 PM
With Shifta/Deband/Anti/Jellen/Zalure work if there are no levels to the techniques? I have a HUcast main, a secondary RAmar, and a FOmar last. When I started using techs, I saw those were based on the level you had. How will they work by % or remove different status?

ajenteks
Jan 6, 2006, 06:25 PM
On 2006-01-06 15:01, DeathMachine wrote:
With Shifta/Deband/Anti/Jellen/Zalure work if there are no levels to the techniques? I have a HUcast main, a secondary RAmar, and a FOmar last. When I started using techs, I saw those were based on the level you had. How will they work by % or remove different status?

It'll be interesting to see. If I had to take a shot in the dark though, I'd wager that the more you use certain spells, the stronger those spells will get, similar to the weapon proficiency system in PSU.

Inazuma
Jan 6, 2006, 08:32 PM
On 2006-01-06 01:28, Ian-KunX wrote:

If it's two to a weapon... Urgh. Shifta, Deband, Jellen, Zalure, Resta, Anti, Gizonde, Rabarta, Rafoie(Assuming they keep the same support techs)... Then yeah, five weapons. Plus a weapon or two for physical fighting, though the system seems rather punitive to the idea of support melee FOing where you need to be able to react nearly instantly while fighting. Not as effective if you have to switch weapons first, losing a precious second or two. >.<

If it's four, it's better, but not by much. One for Jellen, Zalure, Resta and Anti(Four most often-used support techs), one for Shifta, Deband, Reverser and Rabarta, one for Rafoie and Gizonde and whatever else. Whee!

And of course meleeing while supporting is still going to be an issue either way.

(I incidentally know nobody who actually switches between tech boosting weapons on PSO. They generally pick one and stick with it. It takes too long to switch if you're actually actively casting, especially if you're soloing. Been there, tried that. Besides, if you want the BEST boosts, you're going to have to carry the three 9-star wands instead of Summit Moon. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif Club of Laconium, Mace of Adaman, whatever the hell it is of Zumiwhatsit, Magical Piece, Psycho Wand, Caduceus, Marina's Bag, Striker of Chao and if you're a non-FOnewearl Demonic Fork... X3)

Sigh. I have this horrible feeling we might see even fewer good support characters on PSU than we did on PSO, since few people are going to want to go to the specializing lengths for it. XP Maybe I'll just stick to melee characters and use techs occasionally.

...Oh, who am I kidding? I try to cast S/D with my HUmar and I've played him as support before in a team of androids. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

I still don't like it, but eh. I'll deal, somehow. I think PSO's battle system is retarded too, and look how much of my life I've wasted on that. XD

yea now that i think about it, im pretty much the only force switching weps for each different tech. it was indeed slow at first but after many hours of practice, i can switch weps in the time it takes for the last spell animation to finish.

and as for shield switching, i have NEVER seen anyone else do that. what im talking about is, carrying around rafoie, rabarta and razonde merges and switching to em very fast. i use the F2 key shortcut menu, and just like weapon switching, i became very fast over time to where it doesnt slow me down much at all.

i think being forced to switch weps to cast different techs sux but maybe it will help encourage ppl to play better forces.

Blobmiester
Jan 7, 2006, 12:27 AM
It'll be interesting to see. If I had to take a shot in the dark though, I'd wager that the more you use certain spells, the stronger those spells will get, similar to the weapon proficiency system in PSU.

The dark has a light.

Photon arts INCLUDE Techs, so...

Sometimes photons arts will not only increase your attack power, they will add elemental damage to your attacks. Also, there are different levels to your photon arts. If you keep using a photon art, you will be able to strengthen it

So.. they will be getting stronger.
need more proof, go to Psow's section on weapon specialtys.
Has this in context at bottom, plus a screenshot of Foie as a photon art.(with hou)