PDA

View Full Version : Beast Class

MEGAHAWK21x
Jan 6, 2006, 01:44 PM
After seeing the unbeleivable character customization offered in PSU, I wonder whether or not the players who have a beast type character will be able to edit and customize what the character looks like in beast form.

I think it would be very cool for everyone to have a different look when they transform.

Im just speculating. Does anyone know if this is being considered or am I just a dreamer?

Ryna
Jan 6, 2006, 01:53 PM
I haven't seen anything yet that states whether you'll be able to customize the transformed beast form. There probably will be some mechanism for customizing it. Afterall, it would be pretty boring if all the Nanoblast forms looked the same.

Atayin
Jan 6, 2006, 03:56 PM
I'm looking forward to Beast class. I'm always excited to try something new, and Melee has always been my bag (swords are just cool).

I'd be surprised if they didn't let us customize our uber-form somehow. Judging from the screenshots we've already seen of single-player mode beast characters, the transformations barely seem to resemble the origional costumes at all. Otherwise, it'd be reasonable to speculate that the nano-forms are based on the origional costume.

I have a feeling that our beast forms will either be randomized (I sure hope not), or we may get to select from a number of already-made beast forms.

Who knows.. maybe we will get to customize it in Character Creation. I think it's possible, especially seeing as how they pushed the game release date back and all.

OdinTyler
Jan 6, 2006, 04:01 PM
1. Beast is a race, not a class.

2. Beast is more likely to be melee than anything else, but, dont be surprise if someone wants to make a beast ranger or force type.

3. I hope to God that the feral form is customizable. Perhaps when we're in character creation, there will be a few sections we choose for colors & based on that, our feral form will take colors from those choices. For Leo & the small one (I forget his name) & all male beasts to look the same...Id not like that. How does a beast with blonde hair transform into one with red hair? I understand for offline mode, but, with online I hope they took customization into consideration.

ajenteks
Jan 6, 2006, 06:35 PM
I foresee Beast-bashing being a popular pastime. They should have thick enough skin to take it though.

“He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.” ~ Samuel Johnson

Zarcon
Jan 6, 2006, 07:04 PM
I hope it'll be like Holy Beast Online where you can customize the beast form at character creation.
Well, in HBO you start as an animal and turn into a demi-human but it's the same concept.

Niki
Jan 6, 2006, 07:17 PM
Whether the nanoblast form is or isn't customisable, i'm excited for a quasi-new race to play. i just hope other players embrace them enough for them to actually be the majority on their homeworld. Not gettin my hopes up, though...

Atayin
Jan 6, 2006, 08:13 PM
On 2006-01-06 16:17, Niki wrote:
Whether the nanoblast form is or isn't customisable, i'm excited for a quasi-new race to play. i just hope other players embrace them enough for them to actually be the majority on their homeworld. Not gettin my hopes up, though...

I think that eventually, Beasts will definately be embraced. I think a lot of people are still in PSO mode when they think about "classes" in PSU and keep forgetting that Races are quite different. "I want a HUcast" or "I want a FOnewearl!" are things I'm still hearing.

BECAUSE I enjoyed my HUcast so much in PSO, I'll be making a male Beast character in PSU. Beast = Best Melee fighter and that's what I like. There's something for everybody. People who like guns will make Casts, people who like Techs will make Newmans, people who like blades will make Beasts... and the majority (who want a bit of everything) will make Humans.

I think it's a little bit goofy that so many people are looking at race based on image sake alone without actually examining the benefits and shortcomings involved. Once people realize that beasts are owning as tanks and attackers in the fray, I have a feeling they'll realize "Oh wait.. so they're actually in this game for a reason. They aren't just hairy". Things should balance out over time.. atleast I hope so.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atayin on 2006-01-06 17:14 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atayin on 2006-01-06 17:19 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Jan 6, 2006, 08:53 PM
So then, should we post who is making a beast char? I know I am...for a fact. Anyone else? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Atayin
Jan 6, 2006, 09:10 PM
On 2006-01-06 17:53, OdinTyler wrote:
So then, should we post who is making a beast char? I know I am...for a fact. Anyone else? http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

*raises hand* I am definately making a beast character. When you think about it... Casts can use guns, swords and probably even techs (although not very well). Humans and Newmans get that same great variety...

So what about Beasts? No techs? Not good with guns? This means that EVERYTHING is gonna go into their Melee ability. They WILL own in the fray, there's no question. It should be pretty easy for a new player to play a beast because they won't have to worry about techs or a ton of weapon switching.Beasts will be the fists and fighting spirit of any team.

I'm pretty sure I'll like Beast, too, so he's gonna be my main, named Atayin of course. I'll give him wild, crimson red hair. Dark tan skin/fur, bright green eyes and some kind of baggy outfit with a black/green theme goin on. Of course, all of these things are likely to change once I actually experience the character creator. It's so hard to make up your mind when you're presented with a plethora of options. I can't wait.

OdinTyler
Jan 6, 2006, 09:15 PM
Its not that beasts cant use techs. They just wont be as adept as another race. Same with guns: they can use em, just not the best. As a beast, theyre probably better at handguns then probably rifles or shotguns. Theyd make a good offhand wep. This works perfectly for me as Ive already planned on a 1h axe/handgun wielding combo with a 2h axe as my 'strong' wep. As for looks, check out my sig. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

2D
Jan 7, 2006, 06:45 AM
It never really caught my eye.
Turning into a beast? No. I've always played melee since PSO on Dreamcast and such.
I deicded i'm going with guns.I always went with swords to Dreamcast to Gamecube to Xbox. =)
So guns for me. =P

StormShadow11
Jan 7, 2006, 01:29 PM
As long as there's more to races than aesthetic purposes I'll be making a Beast. However, this depends largely on character appearance because I don't play uglies.

Alisha
Jan 7, 2006, 04:54 PM
they could do something like pso did with mags different beast forms depending on your stat allotment http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

OdinTyler
Jan 7, 2006, 05:04 PM
...or they could do the smart thing & let us choose the colors when we make our chars. But then, that would be what would make sense. Companies tend not to follow what makes sense...sadly...

Dygytal_K
Jan 7, 2006, 07:17 PM
I am definantly going to be a Newman!
A beast character.....probably not because ever since
I experienced dying 50,000 times on all PSO games
from being a Humar or other melee person i've switched
to guns or magic.(Even though their weapons are cool...http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif)

F-o-x
Jan 7, 2006, 07:29 PM
I dunno if I'll ever touch beasts either. Its not that I wouldn't like them, on the contrary I'd probably love it, but I just like humans better. Balance is just my nature and in games like this I prefer the middle ground type of character. Humans (More often than not) are the middle ground.

Kent
Jan 8, 2006, 12:08 AM
I prefer balance, as well. However, I'll get around to trying a Beast, before I get to trying out a Cast, mainly because I favor melee combat over ranged, in general usage.

Alisha
Jan 8, 2006, 04:27 AM
On 2006-01-07 14:04, OdinTyler wrote:
...or they could do the smart thing & let us choose the colors when we make our chars. But then, that would be what would make sense. Companies tend not to follow what makes sense...sadly...

i think what i sugeested would make more sence. you wouldn't expect a technically in tune beast to look the same as a melee one or one proficient with guns?

OdinTyler
Jan 8, 2006, 12:17 PM
No, I must disagree. My idea makes more sense. What a char looks like physically has nothing to do with his or her abilities. Thats like saying you have to be a certain skin color to be good at something & we all know thats the wrong kind of thinking. The appearance of our char is just how we want ourselves to look. If we have all this customization for our char, it only naturally makes sense we'd want our transformation to be unique for our particular char, not playstyle.

Atayin
Jan 8, 2006, 01:33 PM
I actually agree with both angles on this. I'd prefer to be able to customize my feral form appearance. I think that with the genre-mix Phantasy Star has (fantasy/sci-fi), it wouldn't be too far-fetched to see a primitive looking design weilding advanced technology. I don't think you'd see a beast in his feral form weilding guns, anyhow. That's what the Cast nanoblast does.

But, if such a thing were implimented, where the feral form's appearance would be based on your character build and choices you make, I don't think I'd be opposed to that either. It would make sense. I would definately prefer to customize it myself in character creation, though.

And here's a thought of my own... It's a little bit far-fetched, but it's a possibility. What if both Cast and Beast nanoblast abilities can be upgraded based on rare items you find or equippment that you wear? Like.. remember in PSO, you'd add something to slotted armor and it would change an attribute? What if there were items to change your Nanoblast? Just a thought. I'm not sure I'd prefer it that way, but I could actually see it happening.

OdinTyler
Jan 8, 2006, 01:39 PM
Well, as far as we know, the Nanoblast is a transformation that upgrades your stats temporarily, being in a more powerful form. There could be certain dedicated move that you get once in that form & yes, I agree that you could learn other abilities. Photon Arts would come into play here. The dmg from them would naturally increase, opening up other ways to attack. That I agree with. As for SUV, youd probably earn other cannons & such that you could call forth. Seeing as how there have been different ones shown, Im sure that was taken into account already.

DamonKatu
Jan 8, 2006, 07:44 PM
Hate to bud in, but I havnt seen a beast woman ever sence I heard about the new race. Cam someone pull a picture link so we can see it? I miss that one, sorry...

EspioKaos
Jan 8, 2006, 08:09 PM
On 2006-01-08 16:44, DamonKatu wrote:
Hate to bud in, but I havnt seen a beast woman ever sence I heard about the new race. Cam someone pull a picture link so we can see it? I miss that one, sorry...
Check out the race specialties guide (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2370). You can see a blue beast woman standing next to Leogini in the CG pic in the nanoblast section.

PhishManiac
Jan 8, 2006, 08:13 PM
I don't like the idea of playing as an ugly monster looking thing so im probably going to make a human character.

DamonKatu
Jan 8, 2006, 11:53 PM
On 2006-01-08 17:09, EspioKaos wrote:

On 2006-01-08 16:44, DamonKatu wrote:
Check out the race specialties guide (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2370). You can see a blue beast woman standing next to Leogini in the CG pic in the nanoblast section.

Meowwwwwwwww. COOL. Thanks . I always woundered what they looked like. I hope Im not on their menu XD