PDA

View Full Version : Computer question

jnblz316
Jan 7, 2006, 11:44 AM
What's a good software that I can use to make my computer as fast as it used to be when it was brand new. It just takes some time just to open internet exploer now a days. Also what makes the CPU's performance slower?
thanks

Ketchup345
Jan 7, 2006, 12:19 PM
I would start by doing ad/spyware scans. Spybot: Search and Destroy and Adaware are both free downloads, and are a great combo in eliminating spy/adware. Also do a virusscan (if you need a scanner, AVG Free is fairly good and is updated almost daily).

* Then I would see what processes are running. What OS do you use? Does your Control Alt Delete menu look like this:
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/1800/untitled0fx.th.jpg (http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled0fx.jpg) ?
If so, see what Processes can be eliminated safely. This will have to be done on every startup. (this pic reminds me I could do a lot of cleaning up >_>).

* You can disable them on startup by going to Start > Run then type in msconfig and hit ok. Then you go to the startup tab and uncheck boxes for programs you don't want auto-started. Also, try adding more RAM to your computer if you have the space and money.

Some people would also suggest stop using IE for everything except Windows Update and switch to what many consider safer browsers such as Firefox or Opera (both are free downloads).

I would only suggest doing the things marked with an * if you are fairly comforable with computers and know what processes are safe to disable. The temporary solution is safer since all you'd have to do if you messed anything up is restart the computer.

jnblz316
Jan 7, 2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the info. You really help alot. Another question: Does this firefox program come with a pop up block and if not whats a good free pop up blocker that i can install?

2D
Jan 7, 2006, 01:39 PM
On 2006-01-07 10:36, jnblz316 wrote:
Thanks for the info. You really help alot. Another question: Does this firefox program come with a pop up block and if not whats a good free pop up blocker that i can install?

It has one already installed in it.

astuarlen
Jan 7, 2006, 01:47 PM
It might also help to defragment your harddrive on a regular basis. Windows has a built-in utility for this under Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter.
http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

jnblz316
Jan 7, 2006, 02:19 PM
thanks for the help. Oh yeah I fotgot about defragging my HDD. I usually do that but I havent done it in a while. I guess I'll do that later tonight.
thanks everyone ^_^

Sinue_v2
Jan 7, 2006, 09:53 PM
I would highly suggest picking up a copy of Norton Utilities as well as it has a lot of great system management, recovery, and speed tools integrated into one nice little package - as well as some nifty system monitering tools which help you to identify potential problems and slowdowns. You could easily find out which programs use the most RAM and CPU processing, and from their either shut them down if they're un=needed or keep them from running simutaniously in order to improve speed that way.

WinDoctor is real nice to have as well... it's got registry optimization and fixes which, for me, is generally too messy for me to want to deal with.

BahnKnakyu
Jan 10, 2006, 03:35 AM
k, get both Spybot Search and Destroy and Lavasoft Adaware SE Personal. There's free versions of both and they're easily available at most places like download.com.

Next, get a virus scanner. I'd actually go with McAffee, only because Norton's stuff is a PAIN to uninstall from your computer if it doesn't uninstall properly.

Third, you need a registry cleaner. This isn't as important as the above two, only because this is mostly to get rid of the needless junk your registry that isn't being used - e.g. registry clutter. But if you want to get your computer back to running how it was, this is a good practice.

Yeah, defragment your drive. Since Windows comes with its own defragmenter, you really have excuse. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Lastly, if you really want to kill ads while surfing, may I suggest installing a Ad-blocker hosts file (http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html). This is the Chain Sawd method of stopping ads from getting to your computer (along with a bunch of other unwanted junk), but I find it VERY effective. Sure I'll see a giant blank white space where the ad is supposed to be, but IMO that's a lot less distracting than the ads themselves.

Edit: Oh yeah, don't use IE. That alone will keep a lot of stuff from messing you up. Even though Microsoft makes security patch after security patch after security patch (ad infinium) to fix IE up, it still gets h4x0red - you're better off just using Firefox or some alternate browser that isn't integrated into the system.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BahnKnakyu on 2006-01-10 00:37 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Jan 10, 2006, 10:14 AM
FireFox is getting targed by hackers more and more as it gains popularity though. However, unlike IE, FireFox is opensource - so it's continually updated. If you go that route (and I suggest you do) make sure you keep constant with the updates.

Luis
Jan 15, 2006, 04:45 PM
Go to WindowsPCHealthHelpctrBinariesMsconfig
go to Start up
Disable any loader that you dont really need, the only loader that i got its the mcafee, i dont use spybot since i use Firefox and i am with the updates and thats mean more memory for my computer.

Check the latest drivers of your devices
If you are installing an OS be sure its OEM, or any clean (not the ones with AOL or Napters free for 60 days)

Check the bios configuration just in case!