PDA

View Full Version : PSU/PSO Online Experiance...

SirAri
Jan 9, 2006, 04:04 PM
How is it to play PSO online? Are the people there generally more nice than in a non-pay-to-play mmorpg? How do you think PSO will compare to PSU in terms of online play? Are most people selfish online, or other wise?

These are the topics for discussion within this thread!

Now discuss my minions, discuss! So that I might gather information that I do not currently hold!

Gyahahahahahaha!

(Yeah... I got a little weird on this one. X3)

ajenteks
Jan 9, 2006, 04:13 PM
On 2006-01-09 13:04, SirAri wrote:
How is it to play PSO online? Are the people there generally more nice than in a non-pay-to-play mmorpg? How do you think PSO will compare to PSU in terms of online play? Are most people selfish online, or other wise?

It really depends on whom you play with. Play it safe - assume most people are assholes. One or two friends do go a long ways though for this game.

As far as comparing, I'm not sure what can be said. The class system is gone, combat appears to be more in-depth, and the party limit has been increased to 6 players. At this point, it really seems like apples and oranges to me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ajenteks on 2006-01-09 13:14 ]</font>

Dre_o
Jan 9, 2006, 04:28 PM
I agree with the theory that you should assume people are ass-holes who won't revive you or kill all your enemies with hacked weapons. But that is just me.

But, I hate to be the bearer of the stereotypical line but, we won't know much until the game is released or the website is massively updated.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dre_o on 2006-01-09 13:28 ]</font>

SirAri
Jan 9, 2006, 07:47 PM
On 2006-01-09 13:28, Dre_o wrote:
I agree with the theory that you should assume people are ass-holes who won't revive you or kill all your enemies with hacked weapons. But that is just me.

But, I hate to be the bearer of the stereotypical line but, we won't know much until the game is released or the website is massively updated.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dre_o on 2006-01-09 13:28 ]</font>

More than anything, this thread was me asking what the pso community as a whole is like, as I have never played online before.

ajenteks
Jan 9, 2006, 07:49 PM
On 2006-01-09 16:47, SirAri wrote:

More than anything, this thread was me asking what the pso community as a whole is like, as I have never played online before.

The community as a whole is full of dupers, hackers, and people who like to spam symbol chat involving genitals :/

Dre_o
Jan 9, 2006, 07:59 PM
On 2006-01-09 16:49, ajenteks wrote:

The community as a whole is full of dupers, hackers, and people who like to spam symbol chat involving genitals :/

That just about sums it up. Your only hope is playing with friends. Plain and simple. Kempman and I have had many hours of play together. Friends are a legit player's only salvation.

SirAri
Jan 9, 2006, 07:59 PM
On 2006-01-09 16:49, ajenteks wrote:

On 2006-01-09 16:47, SirAri wrote:

Seriously?

Shit.

I figured since it was pay to play, the maturity level would be higher. Due to the fact that you would need a credit card to play.

I guess I was wrong?

Dre_o
Jan 9, 2006, 08:01 PM
On 2006-01-09 16:59, SirAri wrote:

I figured since it was pay to play, the maturity level would be higher. Due to the fact that you would need a credit card to play.

I guess I was wrong?

Nope, there are hundreds of little kids who begged their rich parents to pay for them, then learned the demonic ability of cheating. I still suggest playing, as long as you have friends.

SirAri
Jan 9, 2006, 08:03 PM
On 2006-01-09 17:01, Dre_o wrote:

I guess I was wrong?

Nope, there are hundreds of little kids who begged their rich parents to pay for them, then learned the demonic ability of cheating. I still suggest playing, as long as you have friends.

I guess I'll have to make some. ^_^

OdinTyler
Jan 9, 2006, 08:04 PM
Dre, I agree. Youll find some adults online, but, ALOT of kids that bugged their parents to pay for them. You can hope that there are going to be more mature ppl on PSU (regardless of age) than in past online games. However, there will still be some that try to ruin it. The only thing you can do is choose who you associate so youre not brought down to such levels.

jean-yavon
Jan 9, 2006, 08:08 PM
There is nothing wrong with asking your perents to pay the bill.(not that I was going to do that or anything like that)

DeathMachine
Jan 9, 2006, 08:10 PM
As long as you end up paying them back in the long run... http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

jean-yavon
Jan 9, 2006, 08:12 PM
Yeah thats what I had in mind.http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

SirAri
Jan 9, 2006, 08:13 PM
On 2006-01-09 17:08, jean-yavon wrote:
There is nothing wrong with asking your perents to pay the bill.(not that I was going to do that or anything like that)

He wasnt saying that there was.

He was saying the immature kids tend to do that to get on the game.

He never used absolute terms and said that all people who use their parents money to play are childish.

jean-yavon
Jan 9, 2006, 08:22 PM
Oh I am sorry if I offended you with that.

SirAri
Jan 9, 2006, 08:25 PM
On 2006-01-09 17:22, jean-yavon wrote:
Oh I am sorry if I offended you with that.

You didn't.

I was merely explaining. ::nod nod::

jean-yavon
Jan 9, 2006, 08:28 PM
lol

DeathMachine
Jan 9, 2006, 08:32 PM
The only way I'll be getting the online experience is if I can find where to get a PS2 modem. Every where I look, they don't have it. Poop.

jean-yavon
Jan 9, 2006, 08:35 PM
You should try getting it online I found a couple of them on amazon.

ajenteks
Jan 9, 2006, 08:36 PM

Due to the fact that you would need a credit card to play.

LOL! Most people who have credit cards aren't even mature enough to use them properly...

I don't think the problem is that there is an abundance of underage little shits running around, but more that PSO is an easily accessable RPG to anyone, so you've got tons of frat-boy types playing the game. And they are paying a monthy fee, and there's no penalty, in-game or in social stigma, to keep them from being asses, so by god they're going to do it. And technically, they have a right to and no reason not to :/

SirAri
Jan 9, 2006, 08:36 PM
On 2006-01-09 17:32, DeathMachine wrote:
The only way I'll be getting the online experience is if I can find where to get a PS2 modem. Every where I look, they don't have it. Poop.

I pity the fool who don't look on E-bay for a PS2 modem. >_<

SirAri
Jan 9, 2006, 08:46 PM
On 2006-01-09 17:36, ajenteks wrote:

LOL! Most people who have credit cards aren't even mature enough to use them properly...

I don't think the problem is that there is an abundance of underage little shits running around, but more that PSO is an easily accessable RPG to anyone, so you've got tons of frat-boy types playing the game. And they are paying a monthy fee, and there's no penalty, in-game or in social stigma, to keep them from being asses, so by god they're going to do it. And technically, they have a right to and no reason not to :/

Hmm... Is there ANY way to prevent assholes? O_o

ajenteks
Jan 9, 2006, 08:48 PM
On 2006-01-09 17:46, SirAri wrote:

Password protect your games http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

SirAri
Jan 9, 2006, 08:49 PM
On 2006-01-09 17:48, ajenteks wrote:

On 2006-01-09 17:46, SirAri wrote:

Password protect your games http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I'm not following you... o_O

DeathMachine
Jan 9, 2006, 08:54 PM
If you read the manual, you can see that you can keep losers out by placing a password on your game. Thus, only friends can play.

Niki
Jan 9, 2006, 09:04 PM
Play with friends. Play on privately-hosted ships. Play with a password, always.

Dre_o
Jan 9, 2006, 09:40 PM
yes passwords are effective. No the need to quote every past quote in the quote sentence is not effective http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /end joking

OdinTyler
Jan 10, 2006, 01:52 AM
Quoting the quotes that quote a quote when quoting a quote that quotes all the quoters who quote...that just gets annoying. http://pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

EDarkness
Jan 12, 2006, 09:29 PM
Those are some interesting questions. I guess we'll find out how the online experience for PSU is compared to PSO. Thing is, in PSO I rarely played with someone I didn't know. There were too many crazy people out there who cheated and were pretty rude. In the later years of my gaming experience, I pretty much avoided all of the craziness.

My hope is that PSU will be a much richer experience as they have had 5 years to get the gameplay right. Either way, I'm sure I'll be owning a copy when it comes out. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

-EDarkness

Inazuma
Jan 12, 2006, 10:47 PM
or do what i did:

learn japanese and play the jp ver http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Spellbinder
Jan 12, 2006, 11:20 PM
On 2006-01-12 19:47, Inazuma wrote:
or do what i did:

learn japanese and play the jp ver http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Argh, I hate when people say that, but it is kinda true. People'll hate me for it, but I'm hoping the JP and NA/EU servers are joined together. It was fun back in the dreamcast days hopping back and forth always having friends online from different countries.

Saiing
Jan 13, 2006, 12:16 AM
Inazuma: Out of curiosity, how much Japanese did you learn (how would you rate yourself), over what period of time? Do you know just enough phrases to introduce yourself and play the game, or do you actually make conversation with Japanese players?

Inazuma
Jan 19, 2006, 10:09 PM
well prior to starting psobb i had a few years of anime watching exp, so i knew a decent amount of jp vocab. also i had learned how to read hiragana and katakana, but was very slow at it.

it wasnt until i started pso that my jp really improved fast. since the entire game was in jp, my reading speed quickly became very fast. and i started to play w/ random jp ppl, which pushed me to improved my communication skills, which at the time were VERY poor. i couldnt really form sentences well at all cuz i just knew a bunch of random words for the most part.

but i stuck w/ it and kept on improving until now, almost 2 years later. i can hold a conversation well and im able to talk about mostly everything decently.

but the hardest part has been the kanji. i knew ZERO when i started psobb and didnt even start learning them till roughly one year ago. its hard to estimate but i can read a few hundred of em now.

what i usually do is, ask the player the hiragana for a kanji i dont understand. and they tell me. the jp ppl on pso are so nice and they have taught me so much.

ive been playing video games since i was 6 years old and have always wanted to be able to play imported jp games and be able to understand them. now, being able to finally do that, feels so good. also, im at a level where i can watch jp tv shows w/o subs. just finished the jp drama Gokusen and i understood around 90% of it.

being able to play w/ the jp is so awesome. they are the best ppl ever http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Kayai
Jan 20, 2006, 03:23 PM
Inazuma...that story was so touching T_T but serioudly though, in all online games i played (which is pretty mcuh FFXI >.>) the Japanese have always been nicer and better to play with....i need to learn JPN...