PDA

View Full Version : Phantasmal Force10

Kano-Okami
Jan 9, 2006, 08:03 PM
Force10 has today announced that SEGA will be using Force10's TeraScale E-Series switch/router technology as the core router for many of their forthcoming games servers. The reason SEGA has decided to move towards Force10's technology comes hand in hand with the increasing number of Broadband gamers in this next generation of video gaming.

"To provide the online gaming experience our users demand, we needed a robust infrastructure that could both provide performance predictability and scale as new players enter the game. The E-Series switch/router provided us with the high capacity we needed to simplify our network and allowed us to create the reliability of an offline game in an interactive online world."

-Yoshimi Agata, Network Engineer at Sega.

An extract from the Press Release reads "With industry-leading Gigabit and 10 Gigabit Ethernet densities, the Force10 TeraScale E-Series enables SEGA to connect several hundred servers to a single system, simplifying network topologies and reducing both capital and operational costs.". This means that not only are SEGA saving money, but they'll be able to allow millions of players from all around the world to connect to the same servers in the blink of an eye, and do this so in a much more reliable and dependable manner. New players will also be able to join existing games at anytime with next to nothing interupting others on the network, a big factor to consider when thinking about how MMORPG's will work, such as Phantasy Star Universe.

The current titles SEGA have running on these networks are RF Online, Chromehounds (Xbox360), and Phantasy Star Universe (All set for release later this year), which will be running on the same networks.

This discovery was made by Lee_Yoshi

Dhylec
Jan 9, 2006, 08:36 PM
The E-Series switch/router provided us with the high capacity we needed to simplify our network and allowed us to create the reliability of an offline game in an interactive online world.
Well, sounds like Sega is promising an online game with 'stablility' like offline.
Anyway, it sounds good for the future of PSU online. ;]

Kano-Okami
Jan 9, 2006, 08:41 PM
I for one, am glad about this. From what I've heard, Force10 will be able to handle the servers far better then what Sega has done in the past, and being intergrated I doubt there will be a Lag Time whenever a new player joins your team, which really got annoying on pso when I was either in the middle of a combo or a split second away from dodging an enemy hit, so huzzah Force10! *waves arms in joy*

Ryna
Jan 9, 2006, 08:45 PM
Heh, I posted that this morning in this thread:

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=106996&forum=20&20

Kano-Okami
Jan 9, 2006, 09:16 PM
Oh, I had no clue you had already spoke about it, but.. for the thread its in, its a little off topic. I just noticed it while browsing info about PSU and figured it had to be mentioned.

Niki
Jan 9, 2006, 09:16 PM
Milpitas is such a podunk little burgh...

Espilonarge
Jan 9, 2006, 09:20 PM
Well thats good news. If they actually upgraded their server hardware some time ago, games like PSOBB (POSBB rather) wouldn't suffer so many issues. With PSU coming out soon, they'll want to get their equipment upgraded ASAP.

Ryna
Jan 9, 2006, 09:32 PM
With this upgrade, they are certainly expecting an increase in their multiplayer base.

I'll have to read up some more on this particular router to see what its specs are.

EDIT: You can find the original news story here:
http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20060109005337&newsLang=en

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2006-01-09 18:36 ]</font>

Shadow_Wing
Jan 10, 2006, 12:59 AM
Wow I didn't think that 10 Gigabit Ethernet was implimented in the market already, this news is indeed good to hear ^_^b

Man fibreoptic wiring all the way! (I wish my house was wired in fibreoptics.... now where did I place my 100k to do that ._.)

Kano-Okami
Jan 10, 2006, 04:42 PM
Well this iformation does help confirm and validate how Sega planned on having massive city-esque lobbies with so many characters, and if its as stable as they say, I can't wait to see the possibilities.