PDA

View Full Version : Naming Things

astuarlen
Jan 13, 2006, 06:53 PM
Admit it. Everyone has at least one inanimate object which they've given a name (profanity not included). For instance, you may call my computer Rolf. (He says "hi") Now share the name of your PC/car/toaster/etc, kay? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif
Aaand, I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the reasons for choosing the "gender" of a named object.

:>

Deathscythealpha
Jan 13, 2006, 07:13 PM
I call my PC Bacharach, after the songwriter. This came about as a joke when no one believed me that there was a real guy named Burt Bacharach. Once the name was proven, it kind of got stuck with me.

I also call the plant I keep in my toilet Derick. No real reason for that one, but its nice to get up and have someone with a name be about.

EphekZ
Jan 13, 2006, 07:49 PM
I call my computer compy? Other than that Im not sure theres something Ive named

BahnKnakyu
Jan 13, 2006, 08:10 PM
On 2006-01-13 15:53, astuarlen wrote:
Admit it. Everyone has at least one inanimate object which they've given a name (profanity not included). For instance, you may call my computer Rolf. (He says "hi") Now share the name of your PC/car/toaster/etc, kay? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif
Aaand, I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the reasons for choosing the "gender" of a named object.

:>

I call my custom-built PC "PoS" cos it's given me 10x more grief than my 5 year old Mac G4. Does that count? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Eihwaz
Jan 13, 2006, 08:20 PM
My new computer is named MPU. My iPod is named Tomato. Yes, I'm a Cowboy Bebop freak. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2006-01-13 21:07 ]</font>

Dhylec
Jan 13, 2006, 08:25 PM
The only things I named so far are my drives. From c to k, each named after a name starting with that letter.

Charmander02
Jan 13, 2006, 08:25 PM
i found a toy lion in my brothers room and i decided to name it baldwin, kind of a wierd name i dunno how i came up with it though

Alucard_Zer0
Jan 13, 2006, 08:29 PM
my palm tree Fong (also from Reboot REPRESENT!!!!).....*looks around room* yeah thats it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alucard_Zer0 on 2006-01-13 17:31 ]</font>

Skuda
Jan 13, 2006, 08:30 PM
I call my laptop "lappy", and I call my game systems my babies:)

Firocket1690
Jan 13, 2006, 08:59 PM
comp's named Ayla
blue ds is named Dragonfly
silver ds is named Firefly
sexy stuffed yoshi is named Yoshi
AOL Trials are named "frisbees" or "coasters"

KodiaX987
Jan 13, 2006, 09:33 PM
My Dreamcast has eventually taken up the name of "Baby".

PJ
Jan 13, 2006, 09:46 PM
Backpack - The Legendary Exscoobider!

Computer - Kepo

Blitzkommando
Jan 13, 2006, 10:42 PM
Well, my old computer (old being 4 year old this year Pentium 4 based) is named "MESA". My eMachine is named "BLACK". And my newly built machine is named "Temnyy Serebrianyy" (As per my signature). I also occasionally call it 'beautiful' or 'awesome'.

EDIT: I suppose I should say why it is "Deep Silver". "Deep Blue" was the first computer to beat the reigning world chess champion under standard time rules, Garry Kasparov, in 1997. I thought "Deep Silver" would just be another nerdy reference to a little known event in computer history.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Norvekh on 2006-01-13 19:47 ]</font>

trypticon
Jan 13, 2006, 11:18 PM
I called my first car the Deathmobile

I called my second car the Shit-kicker Express

FIDELCASTRO
Jan 14, 2006, 12:00 AM
my brother named his chevy astro THOR

i named my guitar Harry

i named my buddy icon Carothers

i will name my son !xble (DOBEELEH!)

Guntz348
Jan 14, 2006, 12:13 AM
I named my bike Syren, because she's a wicked temptress. 106 HP bolted to two wheels and an ultra light and rigid all aluminum frame that all weighs under 350 pounds. You tell me how thats not dangerous. Here's a picture of her right when I got her, I need to take some new ones now that I put the new seat, frame sliders, and carbon fiber Yoshimura pipe on it.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/Tetsuo348/IMG_0068.jpg

FIDELCASTRO
Jan 14, 2006, 12:14 AM
On 2006-01-13 21:13, Guntz348 wrote:
I named my bike Syren, because she's a wicked temptress. 106 HP bolted to two wheels and an ultra light and rigid all aluminum frame that all weighs under 350 pounds. You tell me how thats not dangerous. Here's a picture of her right when I got her, I need to take some new ones now that I put the new seat, frame sliders, and carbon fiber Yoshimura pipe on it.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/Tetsuo348/IMG_0068.jpg

thats not fair

Qrrrbrbirbel
Jan 14, 2006, 12:31 AM
I name everything inanimate. Im famous for naming color guard equipment at school. Everyone always comes to me, and I act all serious and am like "I need Gender, Race, and Sexual Orientation STAT!" Yeah, i once named a balloon petunia.

But yeah, i name all things inanimate. My comp is bob the turtle. My first rifle was Pablo, my second was Estevan. My first sabre was Mountains, the second was Princess Tides. Ummm, im sure i will think of more things i have named, but for now thats it.

Dre_o
Jan 14, 2006, 12:32 AM
My XBox is "Godlike"
Dreamcast is "Old Faithful"
N64 is "Unforgettable"
Rascal (my dog) his nickname is Idiot.
My Dueling Deck is "Ass kicker 5000"
My SP is "Past Time"
And my DS is "Time Well Spent"

Guntz348
Jan 14, 2006, 12:40 AM
On 2006-01-13 21:14, FIDELCASTRO wrote:

thats not fair

Whats not fair?

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jan 14, 2006, 01:04 AM
On 2006-01-13 21:40, Guntz348 wrote:
Whats not fair?

He wants a bike like yours?

No, no. He wants to one up your bike now that he's seen it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

HUnewearl_Meira
Jan 14, 2006, 04:31 AM
My computer is named Neo-Jube (was named Jube prior to being upgraded), after a personal favorite character of mine from table-top RPGs. I have another computer that I randomly install different operating systems on for the express purpose of tinkering with them, that I call Wheeljack, after the character from Transformers, because Wheeljack was a bit of a scientist, and this computer exists for my own exploratory and investigative purposes.

I call my car (Lincoln Town Car circa 1992) "The Land Yacht" because it is absurdly large, rocks back and forth when in slightly bumpy road, and while it doesn't go terribly fast, it doesn't slow down terribly fast, either. The interior is rather large as well; my aunt considers it to be a living room on wheels, and when I had my portable TV in there for a while, this was that much closer to being true.

My old truck (1990 Chevrolet Silvarado 1500, rest in peace, old friend), I used to call Optimus Prime; the reason being that it had transmission problems for a while, but we eventually had it fixed so that I could drive it. When it was started up for the first time in about two years, and somehow managed to do so without any great difficulty, I was reminded of the reconstruction of Optimus Prime in the original Transformers series. Thus, the name. I loved that truck, and by Bruce Almighty, I will get another one some day.

I've probably got a few other things like this, though I can't think of them off hand, at the moment. Stuff that isn't necessarily mine that my buddies and I have names for though:

Sal's car (A very old Toyota car of some make): The Silver Sled
Sal's Scooter: The Red Sled (Sal calls it this) or The Crimson Duck-clops (my buddy Andrew and I call it this; the front looks like a duck bill, and the headlight like an eye)
Jamas's SUV (Vitara): The Mountain Goat
Kirk's computer: Mr. Blue (after the first character he made in my home-brewed table-top RPG; known for accomplishing bizarre things out of the fog of unexplainability-- the computer shares this property with its namesake)
My wife's (Maegan's) computer: Crystel (after the first character she made in my home-brewed table-top RPG)
My display-grade katanas: Grimm & Dante (named after the swords owned by the character, Jube Acino, in my fan fic series)

Yeah, I think that's about all I'm going to come up with, tonight.

PIT
Jan 14, 2006, 04:49 AM
i named my PC "PieC", because that means "furnance" in my language http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Wyndham
Jan 14, 2006, 09:37 AM
my couch is "Nutjob", my guitar is "Nameless", my Gameboy micro is simply "micro", and I call my TV "Big".