PDA

View Full Version : Soloing

vox3om
Jan 15, 2006, 02:36 PM
I was wondering if anyone has thought about the difficulty of soloing in the online version. I understand that it is much more fun to play with other people, but there is also a necessary part in soloing. Let me know what you guys think.

Olskooldatru
Jan 15, 2006, 02:43 PM
I have thought about soloing and i dont mind soloing.

OdinTyler
Jan 15, 2006, 02:49 PM
The point of PSO was to gather ppl together & form a team. Since it wasnt prevalent there, PSU was made differently. Offline youre forced to use whatever party youre given, depending on the situation. If it takes a few ppl to take down certain monsters, youll find it quite difficult online. If anything, it should encourage you to try to find others to group with. At least take your PM with you as it can be used as a group member.

Kimil
Jan 15, 2006, 02:49 PM
Meh... soloing is harder, longer and borringer (is that even a word?) I personally hate it, and I'd rather have as many parties members as I can get in one room. The more the marrier

ajenteks
Jan 15, 2006, 02:54 PM
On 2006-01-15 11:36, vox3om wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has thought about the difficulty of soloing in the online version. I understand that it is much more fun to play with other people, but there is also a necessary part in soloing. Let me know what you guys think.

I'm really hoping that the available monsters is scalable to party size. We'll see though.

OdinTyler
Jan 15, 2006, 02:56 PM
No cause that wouldnt be fair to groups. It should be more difficult for someone soloing. The idea is to get others to help on kills & such. If you lvl up high & can solo anything what kind of fun is that? This isnt a fighting game. Groups are the backbone of any good RPG.

ajenteks
Jan 15, 2006, 03:35 PM
On 2006-01-15 11:56, OdinTyler wrote:
No cause that wouldnt be fair to groups. It should be more difficult for someone soloing. The idea is to get others to help on kills & such. If you lvl up high & can solo anything what kind of fun is that? This isnt a fighting game. Groups are the backbone of any good RPG.

PSO itself was scalable to an extent. Playing offline would yeild far less monsters to kill than playing online would.

I think Sonic Team will embrace the philosophy that multiple types of play should be available and encouraged, and I don't think they will make the levels and bosses so difficult as to say that groups will be required. There's always C-Mode for that.

Kano-Okami
Jan 15, 2006, 03:40 PM
I really doubt PSU will be solo-friendly. Seeing how there's a 6-person team structure, there will probably be certain obsticles that will require more then one person..probably like those dreaded pressure-opened doors from pso.. e_e..

F-o-x
Jan 15, 2006, 04:11 PM
I hope we're able to solo like we could on PSO. Sometimes I get tired of people and want to do some things by myself. Granted, I do enjoy hopping in random teams and playing with friends, but sometimes I like to be anti-social.

Also, soloing will be great for hunting rares once we figure out what a few of the drops are.

Yummi
Jan 15, 2006, 04:46 PM
I think they have took this into consideration, since personal machinery can evolve into something that can actually help you in battle and hold your items. Also, solo'ing maybe slower, and take longer, but who knows maybe you can pick off monsters one at a time from a distance, no one knows yet. Im sure they will have some missions you can that has an easy difficulty. Though my money is definately on PM's as an effective method of solo'ing, considering it might sometimes be hard to find a 6 member party, but how hard is it to grab a person with a PM that can fight as well? So I dont think there should be any worries;)

vox3om
Jan 15, 2006, 04:49 PM
Well I understand the whole group concept. But I guess I just feel like if weapons and items an unassigned in this game, then soloing would allow you to pick up the optimum amount of items. I personally like the idea that GW has going where all the items are assigned.

DamonKatu
Jan 15, 2006, 09:13 PM
On 2006-01-15 13:49, vox3om wrote:
Well I understand the whole group concept. But I guess I just feel like if weapons and items an unassigned in this game, then soloing would allow you to pick up the optimum amount of items. I personally like the idea that GW has going where all the items are assigned.

Agree but when you are a begener you probly need all the help you can get. (v.v)' Like PSO, you probly have a problem with with you low abbilities. so when you start the game, stick with others so you have a better chance of serviving.

GaijinPUnch
Jan 16, 2006, 12:43 AM
It should be more difficult for someone soloing.

They should still have something available for those aren't able to play in peek times though.

AzureBlaze
Jan 16, 2006, 12:56 AM
I've always had a problem with being forced to team.
Teaming is great when you're with a bunch of friends or people you can at least trust...

But early on in the game everyone is trying to power up and get the first rares and things. I had one guy telling about how he was going to be beast for sure, so he would be right in the center to grab all the wepdrops. At that point, soloing was looking really great.

As HUc, I am used to being able to hack up just about everything and power though most obstacles solo, so I can get the weps I need, without fear of greedy grabbers or having to yeild an item. As with any version of PS, PSU can probably expect its share of undesireable types. It's good to be able to 'get away from it all' without having to resort to offline Ethan.

Even if soloing is really rough or nearly impossible...I'll take those odds.

EJ
Jan 16, 2006, 09:01 AM
I was wondering if this was answer or not but if the PM's are like mag are we allowed to have more than one to have in a party if you are unable to fill the slots with 6 ppl?

DeathMachine
Jan 16, 2006, 11:35 AM
That hasn't been confirmed.

DamonKatu
Jan 16, 2006, 01:00 PM
On 2006-01-15 21:43, GaijinPUnch wrote:

It should be more difficult for someone soloing.

They should still have something available for those aren't able to play in peek times though.

Yea, trrruuuueee~*thinks*

DizzyDi
Jan 16, 2006, 01:01 PM
The good thing about PSU coming out so late is that it has the chance to learn from the mistakes of all the past online games before it, including PSO. Just like WoW improved on the mistakes of FFXI, in some ways. Even though PSU isn't a full MMO, its close enough for me. Soooooooo, anyways, a big complaint about FFXI was that there was barely any solo-able content available, so I doubt that PSU would make the game completely unsoloable. Its just gunna be harder for folks to solo, especially at the higher levels probably, but it will be possible. This is just my prediction and outlook on it.

DamonKatu
Jan 16, 2006, 01:07 PM
On 2006-01-16 10:01, DizzyDi wrote:
The good thing about PSU coming out so late is that it has the chance to learn from the mistakes of all the past online games before it, including PSO. Just like WoW improved on the mistakes of FFXI, in some ways. Even though PSU isn't a full MMO, its close enough for me. Soooooooo, anyways, a big complaint about FFXI was that there was barely any solo-able content available, so I doubt that PSU would make the game completely unsoloable. Its just gunna be harder for folks to solo, especially at the higher levels probably, but it will be possible. This is just my prediction and outlook on it.

Wow, strong point. shut me up.

Spellbinder
Jan 16, 2006, 03:04 PM
Perhaps this has already been mentioned, but perhaps there will be some sort of Guild similar to the previous online Phantasy Star games that will allow us to play solo missions from time to time. I believe I read somewhere that we can select missions to better suit what "Types" we've focused on, so I don't see why there wouldn't be any missions to take on solo.

Miyoko
Jan 17, 2006, 02:31 AM
It should always be possible to solo. You should just be able to accomplish a lot less without a team.

Look at PSO for an example. My character can solo online ultimate forrest without much trouble, -might- be able to solo caves, but will encounter the occasional tough spot, and has no hope in hell of soloing mines. But with a team, forrest = a joke, caves = easy, mines = not to easy but not to tough, ruins = doable, but difficult.

PSU should be the same way -- You can do plenty of stuff on your own, but with a team, you can do a lot more.

In this day and age, having no soloability in online games is a stupid, stupid choice on the developers part. If a game is built so you can solo just fine, hop on for maybe an hour, do a mission or two, and log off, it appeals to casual gamers, and if at the same time, you can choose to hunt down a team, and go tackle some really challenging quests, and go on a 6 hour marathon, then it also appeals to hardcore gamers too.

to sum it up:
more people + more playing choices = good.
less people + force teaming = lack of choices + bad.

Kano-Okami
Jan 17, 2006, 10:29 AM
On 2006-01-16 23:31, Miyoko wrote:
It should always be possible to solo. You should just be able to accomplish a lot less without a team.

Look at PSO for an example. My character can solo online ultimate forrest without much trouble, -might- be able to solo caves, but will encounter the occasional tough spot, and has no hope in hell of soloing mines. But with a team, forrest = a joke, caves = easy, mines = not to easy but not to tough, ruins = doable, but difficult.

PSU should be the same way -- You can do plenty of stuff on your own, but with a team, you can do a lot more.

In this day and age, having no soloability in online games is a stupid, stupid choice on the developers part. If a game is built so you can solo just fine, hop on for maybe an hour, do a mission or two, and log off, it appeals to casual gamers, and if at the same time, you can choose to hunt down a team, and go tackle some really challenging quests, and go on a 6 hour marathon, then it also appeals to hardcore gamers too.

to sum it up:
more people + more playing choices = good.
less people + force teaming = lack of choices + bad.

In the same way, Temples of ep2 is impossible to solo, period. All of those pressure-opened doors are redundant obsticles that littered pso, forcing teamwork to progress..whether you liked it or not.
So I agree, the most likely way to actually put a dent in the solo gameplay will be through quest.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kano-Okami on 2006-01-17 07:31 ]</font>

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Jan 17, 2006, 01:03 PM
We need soloing! Or at least, I do. PSO was mostly great for soloing, My high level HUney could take even the higher level areas online by herself. What really put a damper on my soloing was those damn door switches! Completely limited my play areas. No temple, no spaceship, no seabed, no caves, no ruins unless I was doing a quest that didnt have them.
Anyway, PSU should be just as easy to solo with the help of partner machines I think. As long as it doesnt go anywhere near FFXI's team atmosphere... Where you couldnt get ANYWHERE unless you had a FULL, and GOOD team. literally 75% of most nights playing was spent trying to get a team together... I couldnt stand it! I managed to get to level 22ish all by myself, but after that it just got way to hard. ><

Kano-Okami
Jan 17, 2006, 01:20 PM
Hmm...I thought about that for a bit..then remembered our PMs. Partner Machines should be able to take a party slot and perhap you could use them for 2-man puzzles if they re-appear in PSU. If so, then that opens up the ability for soloing quite a bit..