PDA

View Full Version : A death in the family.

SirAri
Jan 16, 2006, 07:02 PM
Today, my great grandpa Joe died.

He lived in Illnios.

My family lives in Florida.

I'm currently taking Algebra 2, which I struggle with, and cant seem to figure out, and chemistry which dole out a homework assignment everyday.

My great grandfather's funeral is this thursday.

My dad wants to leave for Illnois tomorrow by car (taking me, my 8 year old brother, and my 7 year old sister with him.), to attend my great grandfathers funeral.

I loved my grandpa.

He was always good to me and never had a foul thing to say to anybody during the time that I knew him. I have nothing against going to his funeral, for he was a nice honest, and all around good person.

But there is one problem.

Missing an entire week of Algebra 2 means that I have to do catch-up work on homework I don't understand, because I wasnt in class to be taught how to do the work.

Missing an entire week of Chemistry means that I'll have a shitload of homework to do, and I'll have a presentation to do when I get back, and up to 2 tests to make up upon my return.

Not to mention my AP english class, in which I have to do a chapter summary of a colledge level book, thats due at the end of the week I'll be missing.

Not to mention my web design 2 class, which I'll have to make up the ENTIRE project we will happen to be doing the week of my absence.

I'll have to do all of this when I get back.

I was having a hard enough time with all of this stuff as it is, but now having to play MASSIVE catch up?

I don't think I can do it.

And I don't want to do it.

I love my relatives, but I also love whats left of my sanity.

Advice?

Niki
Jan 16, 2006, 07:42 PM
This memorial of the passing of your great-grandfather will probably happen only once. For me, i can think of two funerals in the past three years i've missed. For the sake of the living, i wish i hadn't.

Neith
Jan 16, 2006, 07:59 PM
When it was my father's funeral, I didn't go. I was so badly shaken by it happening so suddenly (being a motorbike accident), that I just refused to accept this had happened.

I still visit his grave regularly, I prefer to pay my respects in private, rather than with a group.

Concerning your situation, no-one can make that choice for you. There's going to be a negative side to both actions- either get behind in Algebra, or regret not going to his funeral later in life..

I guess it all depends if you think you can catch up again. After all, you have your entire life to pay respects, no-one should think less of you for not going. Hell, it took me two years before I could even walk upto my dad's grave without breaking down..

Eihwaz
Jan 16, 2006, 08:06 PM
Hm, could you ask your teacher if there are any review worksheets or similar things for the stuff that you'll be missing? That way, you could attend the funeral, and still stay (somewhat) up-to-date on your algebra homework.

SirAri
Jan 16, 2006, 08:29 PM
Acutally, I just found out that I'm leaving tonight, whether I want to or not.

SirAri
Jan 17, 2006, 07:51 AM
And I'm back.

We left in the car, and drove an hour towards Illnois, at which point I fell asleep.

An hour later, I wake up back in my drive way.

My dad decided not to take us.

It seemed kinda weird, but at least I wont have to play catch up.

Sinue_v2
Jan 17, 2006, 09:40 AM
My consolances. My Grandmother also died yesterday.

Wyndham
Jan 17, 2006, 10:47 AM
I'm sorry about what happened. I can see why you would have wanted to keep up with your schoolwork. I hope things work out, and I'm pretty much out of things to say.
Sorry.

WraithVerge
Jan 18, 2006, 05:24 PM
I feel for you man. It's sometimes tough to deal with deaths in the family. When my grandma died, I didn't cry at all when I heard the news. She lived a good life, so I assumed she was happy where she was going.

At the time I didn't want to go, but in the end I finally did. When I saw her picture sitting on the coffin at the reception, I cried for a good while, and I'm real glad I decided to go.