PDA

View Full Version : Ps2ers for PSU

Yummi
Jan 18, 2006, 12:19 PM
The thought crossed my mind with the ps2 harddrive now out of the question for PSU, maybe this will actually give the 16mb expansion cards a purpose. Are there many from this forum that will be playing PSU on ps2 and if ST decided to highly suggest a memory expansion card for PSU would that sway your decision on getting the game or not?

Zelutos
Jan 18, 2006, 12:27 PM
I'll be playing it on the PS2, and i'm not exactly worried about the memory functions. If i have to, i can buy multiple memory cards [they are only 20bucks now where i work http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zelutos on 2006-01-18 11:12 ]</font>

Alisha
Jan 18, 2006, 12:28 PM
i will be on the ps2 version and i secretly hope ST will add some HDD functionality for those of us that have one

Yummi
Jan 18, 2006, 12:53 PM
I really was hoping they would allow users with the harddrive to use it, but the official site says you can't ;( I never bought one of those 64 MB memory cards but I wonder how useful they actually are and how long they actually last. Im thinking if ST takes advantage of the larger memory cards with the ps2 it could likely benefit them in the long run. Considering if they are reliable.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yummi on 2006-01-18 09:55 ]</font>

PrinceBrightstar
Jan 18, 2006, 01:04 PM
ya, while clumsy won't comment, i'm worried if patches get bigger than 8mb. What then? multiple memory cards just to play one game? nu uh, they need to use the USB ports.

ANd this isn't a rant against sega, its a rant against all PS2 online games. None of them use this great port.

Yummi
Jan 18, 2006, 01:17 PM
On 2006-01-18 10:04, Jonathan_F wrote:
nu uh, they need to use the USB ports.

ANd this isn't a rant against sega, its a rant against all PS2 online games. None of them use this great port.

Yeah i agree, I dont think sony has came out with anything, but I know there are like a couple of companies that have made a USB memory extender or whatever. Basically I think its used for transfering saves, and stuff to and from your PC but I dont know how big they are. The biggest memory expansion ive seen for ps2 was 120MB and the biggest memory card Ive seen was 64MB. That would be pretty adequate, but the problem still lies with Sony for not creating larger official ps2 memory cards and memory expansions. Im sure most developers have a problem with depending totally on a 3rd party hardware for gamers to play their games.

Nash
Jan 18, 2006, 01:51 PM
Most patches will probably be handled server-side, and downloads such as quests will just be scripts that use data already on the DVD so will be small.

I don't think relying on memory-cards will be much of an issue. And PS2 memory cards give them far more space than they've had to work with before anyway.

Zelutos
Jan 18, 2006, 02:11 PM
Don't worry folks, i'm sure Sega and Sony will think of something to accomodate all of it's players -- whether that be some sort of useage of the HDD[and developing something for us slim PS2 users] or using data on the disc and making sure the patches are small.

Whatever it may be, i'm sure it will be suitable for us all.

rena-ko
Jan 18, 2006, 02:45 PM
the client will route through a patchserver. this will alter the code in the ps2's RAM - which will mean that each time you log on, you'll patch your system with the latest ...patch.
thats it for actual security issues. and since offline and online play are seperated, you dont need the patches for offline play.

CherryLunar
Jan 18, 2006, 03:44 PM
I just got an idea. What if it's in the works to make a type of flash or jump drive for the ps2. It has USB support already, so why not? XD

Kano-Okami
Jan 18, 2006, 04:10 PM
I doubt that because most people won't buy an accessory that cost more then the video game itself.

ajenteks
Jan 18, 2006, 04:19 PM
I doubt the PS2 ver. is going to see much in the way of people playing it online, period. Poor natural ability to capture video and screen shots, probable lack of voice chat, and infamous PS2 load times... PC ver. looks so much more appealing to me, at least.

OdinTyler
Jan 18, 2006, 06:22 PM
On 2006-01-18 13:19, ajenteks wrote:
I doubt the PS2 ver. is going to see much in the way of people playing it online, period. Poor natural ability to capture video and screen shots, probable lack of voice chat, and infamous PS2 load times... PC ver. looks so much more appealing to me, at least.

I have to disagree here:

1. Alot of ppl will be playing it online. If you dont, it doesnt mean other ppl wont.
2. Poor video capture? That has nothing to do with your PS2. It has to do with your PC & capture card. The better those are, the better the capture will be.
3. If voice chat is lacking on PS2, its not gonna be there on PC either. Remember, linked servers means BOTH must be the same or there will be MAJOR probs. I wouldnt laugh at the PS2 over this.
4. Load times vary. With good programmers, theres ways around excessively long load times. Besides, comparing load times is like comparing cartridges & CDs. Its apples & oranges. Who cares? LOL

ZulfiqarTheIV
Jan 18, 2006, 07:06 PM
What 'Mr. Tyler' said. lol

VioletSkye
Jan 18, 2006, 07:17 PM
On 2006-01-18 15:22, OdinTyler wrote:
2. Poor video capture? That has nothing to do with your PS2. It has to do with your PC & capture card. The better those are, the better the capture will be.

That's partially true, but also remember that the PS2 version will be running at considerably lower resolution which in and of itself means the screenies won't look as crisp and detailed. However, as I've said before, I'm quite certain the PS2 version is going to be gorgeous and certainly won't disappoint. I have had better luck with Hauppauge cards, but others swear by the ATI cards, either way as long as its descent you should be able to get some nice screenshots http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

As for myself, I'll be playing the PC version at the highest resolution they offer with as much sweet eye candy as possible http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-01-18 16:19 ]</font>

F-o-x
Jan 18, 2006, 07:18 PM
Though I don't know much about them, I've heard that programs like Ventrillo and Teamspeak will work with the PC version so PC users may very well have voice chat even if it isn't integrated into the game.

For the most part though I agree with Odin. I'm sure there will be just as many, if not more people going online with the PS2 version as there are in the PC version.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-o-x on 2006-01-18 16:37 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Jan 18, 2006, 07:20 PM
Im not worried. Ive seen screen captures for EQOA on PS2. The pics varied in quality depending on the card in the PC to the ability of the user to do the captures. Some werent that bad. I saved a couple pics of my former adventures on an alt. You cant really see my char but you can see her name so you know Im there. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif PSU looks brighter & more colorful. Im sure captures would look even better.

PrinceBrightstar
Jan 18, 2006, 07:38 PM
you know, if you made a system with both an apple and an orange, you'd never see a load screen again.

Kimil
Jan 18, 2006, 08:23 PM
Maybe there will be a memory in the PS2 package for the PSU game solely, so that you deffinately have ennough room for updates

ajenteks
Jan 18, 2006, 08:27 PM
On 2006-01-18 15:22, OdinTyler wrote:

I have to disagree here:

1. Alot of ppl will be playing it online. If you dont, it doesnt mean other ppl wont.

I think a lot of RPG players who own PS2s will buy PSU for the single-player and call it good. If SEGA posts subscription counts, we can see if I'll guess right or not.

Quality and accessibility are two very different things. It's a lot easier and cheaper to make leet videos of your character kicking ass with FRAPs, and you can get it in a higher resolution, too.

3. If voice chat is lacking on PS2, its not gonna be there on PC either. Remember, linked servers means BOTH must be the same or there will be MAJOR probs. I wouldnt laugh at the PS2 over this.

Supported in game, maybe. I can easily use Vent or TS on my computer while I'm playing PSU on it though, vs. trying to snake headset cables from my PC to my recliner where I play my PS2 from.

4. Load times vary. With good programmers, theres ways around excessively long load times. Besides, comparing load times is like comparing cartridges & CDs. Its apples & oranges. Who cares? LOL

I kind of do, because I can easily slap more RAM into my PC if need be. With a PS2, my options would be a little more limted http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Niki
Jan 18, 2006, 09:12 PM
It's impossible for me to play on PC, so it'll be PS2 whether i like it or not.

CherryLunar
Jan 18, 2006, 10:19 PM
On 2006-01-18 13:10, Kano-Okami wrote:
I doubt that because most people won't buy an accessory that cost more then the video game itself.

Flash drives arent that expensive. Depends on size and where you look. Also, if these updates arent going to be anything drastic then you dont really have to worry about the space they take up.

Only thing I'd really worry about is people customizing stuff on their drives.

Alisha
Jan 19, 2006, 11:23 AM
if they dont include some hdd support for ps2 users i may look into the HDD loader for ps2(lets copy games onto your ps2 hdd and play them off the hdd)pso as a series has killed 2 dreamcasts and 2 gamecubes....

ZulfiqarTheIV
Jan 19, 2006, 06:57 PM
HDD support is doubtful. The newer PS2s aren't HDD compatible.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZulfiqarTheIV on 2006-01-19 16:04 ]</font>

DizzyDi
Jan 19, 2006, 07:25 PM
They still should allow for HDD support for the folks that have it. I don't think it would take much just to allow people to save thier updates on the HDD.

Yummi
Jan 19, 2006, 07:41 PM
On the japanese official site it says that it definately wont be compatible with the ps2 Harddrive you can go check it. If you get a HD loader im sure it might work, but you can still save things on your mem card and then save it onto your HD and when you need that save, load back onto your mem card from your HD. Just most games won't load directly from the harddrive itself doesn't mean you can't save alot onto it.

Russ2576
Jan 19, 2006, 11:07 PM
Well I don't think there will be a problem with using memory cards. It'd be nice to have HDD support, but as said, the newer PS2's don't have one. As others are going to do, I too will buy another memory card just for PSU.

I only have one concern though. What'll happen when you fill the card up with patches? We gonna have to manually delete the files? How will we know what, and what not to delete? I'd hate to mess up and delete something I shouldn't have.

OdinTyler
Jan 19, 2006, 11:11 PM
Guys, your card isnt gonna get full from patch after patch. When you log on, if theres a patch from the server, youll dl it during login. Youll probably have to restart, but, thats to be expected. Its one file if anything that gets stores on your mem card & it will get saved over & updated as new patches are added to the server. It would hardly be practical if you saved file after file. Theres not enough mem cards to keep up with. Even the HD would have a hard time! LOL

ZulfiqarTheIV
Jan 19, 2006, 11:18 PM
I don't see patches being downloaded onto the memory card.

Russ2576
Jan 19, 2006, 11:20 PM
Ah, I kinda figured that's how it'll work. Of course that might mean the patches will keep getting bigger and bigger since they have to make sure to include everything from the previous patches with a new one, especially the anti-cheating measures.

OdinTyler
Jan 19, 2006, 11:23 PM
I'll let Yummi explain why I said what I did. She'll answer your statement, Z.

shinobu_seta
Jan 20, 2006, 12:45 AM
I'll be playing on PS2, because I already have one and I'm very doubtful of my computer's capability to play PSU.

I could probably buy 2 copies of the game and another PS2 for what it would cost to upgrade my PC appropriately. PC would be ideal, but I just can't afford that right now.

therealAERO
Jan 20, 2006, 12:52 AM
I need a DVD drive...so PS2 might be my only way of playing as well.

capin_bucky_ohair
Jan 20, 2006, 12:53 AM
My computer can't handle PC games so I'm going with Playstation 2 version, even if I did a gaming computer I would still go with console so I can play in comfort espcially in cold conditions

Russ2576
Jan 20, 2006, 04:39 AM
About that DVD-ROM requirement, think they were referring mainly to the Jp version? I don't know if DVD-ROMs are standard over there or not, but it seems awfully unusual to chose that format when the PC game industry in the US hasn't fully converted to that yet, either releasing both DVD and CD-ROM versions, or just sticking with CD-ROM.

Just seems like their shooting themselves in the toe(but not the whole foot)by forcing that. Not everybody has a DVD-ROM.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Russ2576 on 2006-01-20 01:41 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Russ2576 on 2006-01-20 01:43 ]</font>

kazuma56
Jan 20, 2006, 05:29 AM
2 things:

1. GC and DC versions of Phantasy Star online both supported their own screen capture like program, the only thing you had to figure out was how to extract it off of your VMU/memory card...why would that be impossible this time around?

2. If Sega does patch the game on the memory card, they could always go Socom's/Killzones route, add a huge 2-3 mb file which will house all updates after that, not sure how those companies do it but Socom 2 went through like 4-5 patches and all of it was done on the same 2mb file which never increased.

OdinTyler
Jan 20, 2006, 10:02 AM
Thats what Ive been trying to tell ppl. It would be one file saved on your card. It would be patched & updated as needed but the actual size of the file wouldnt increase. If anything is to be saved on the card, it would be one such file & your online profile. Thats all.

butzopower
Jan 20, 2006, 04:41 PM
On 2006-01-18 17:27, ajenteks wrote:

Quality and accessibility are two very different things. It's a lot easier and cheaper to make leet videos of your character kicking ass with FRAPs, and you can get it in a higher resolution, too.

In relevance to accesssibility, it's a lot cheaper to play on a PS2 than on a PC.

Tystys
Jan 27, 2006, 01:31 AM
It's a toss up for me. Still trying to determine whether or not a PS2 or PC version is better, O_O

One word edit omg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tystys on 2006-01-26 22:31 ]</font>