PDA

View Full Version : Will PC PSU support 56k?

Russ2576
Jan 18, 2006, 11:48 PM
A lot of my PSO friends are getting PSU, one of which is on 56k. Please, no smart ass remarks, it's not his fault. He has the financial means to get Broadband, and would in a heartbeat, but he only has the one provider in town(it's not a very big town), and his house is apparently out of their "zone" or whatever you wanna call it(in other words he can't get a connection wired to his house).

Now I saw PSU's PC system requirements in the FAQ, and it says Broadband for it. BB only? Or just strongly reccomended? PSU doesn't strike me as being a major system hog because of the PS2 support. As for the PS2 verion, do you think it will support 56k?

I only ask because I definitely wanna see him online with the rest of us, and it would extremely suck if he can't. He does play other games on his PC like City of Heroes/Villains without much problem, save for the long d/l times when it comes to patches.

Ryna
Jan 18, 2006, 11:52 PM
On 2006-01-18 20:48, Russ2576 wrote:
Now I saw PSU's PC system requirements in the FAQ, and it says Broadband for it. BB only? Or just strongly reccomended? PSU doesn't strike me as being a major system hog because of the PS2 support. As for the PS2 verion, do you think it will support 56k?

I do not think anyone can give you a good answer at this point. However, having a BB connection will definitely help. There are certain places in the game where a person on a 56k connection could potentially lag badly. These places include the 100-person lobby.

VioletSkye
Jan 18, 2006, 11:53 PM
So much of that depends on how streamlined their coding is and how large the packets being sent are. I'm getting it for PC and I have a cable connection, but I will definitely be testing it on a dialup connection also to see if/how it plays, so I'd say to tell your friend to hold off getting it until a few of us have tested it with dialup (unless he wants to play offline mode irregardless of whether he gets online or not.)

Also I should note that not all dialup is created equal lol. Line quality, connection speed, latency etc. varies from connection to connection. Your friend may connect at a descent 52K but have extremely high ping times (inherent in dialup) or he may only connect at around 26K but have better pings, either way I'd say it probably wouldn't be a great expereince. If he connects at a descent speed and his pings aren't too high, he may stand a chance at having a tolerable playing experience. If he doesn't have a descent connection speed and he has high pings, I'd say he is probably stuck with offline mode (which should be AWESOME anyway, so its not a huge loss http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-01-18 21:05 ]</font>

vox3om
Jan 19, 2006, 01:01 AM
Simple answer. If you are still playing PC games or any online game for that matter, with a 56k modem...you really need an upgrade.

Russ2576
Jan 19, 2006, 01:08 AM
Somebody didn't read the entire post.

As much as he wants to, and believe me he wants BB as much a cokehead wants his coke, he simply cannot get it because he's out of the provider's area.

Zelutos
Jan 19, 2006, 01:48 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. Just avoid really packed lobbies.

OdinTyler
Jan 19, 2006, 10:29 AM
I think I read where a dev said PSU would be broadband. I dont remember if it specified PS2 or all around. I cant exactly quote the source so dont ask, as I dont have it here. I do remember it being said. I suggest to your friend find some way to get broadband if at all possible. You say hes outside the zone, but, theres more than 1 ISP that covers ppl nationally. If youre thinking about cable, perhaps invest in DSL? I have Verizon DSL & their coverage is pretty good. It wasnt my 1st choice but overall its not bad. Im sure there are at least a few choices open to your friend.

Alisha
Jan 19, 2006, 11:55 AM
i personally think sony has been paying or forcing developers to make thier games broaband only. simply put there WAY to many games for ps2 that are broadband only for no appearent reason. a good example of this is games like champions of norath and monster hunter.i also recently noticed that games that used to be broadband only recently went back to supporting dial up again(ea and 2k games sports games).i think it will probally be enforced through menus on the ps2 version but i doubt it on the pc version

shinobu_seta
Jan 20, 2006, 01:48 AM
This may or may not be relevant at this point, but I'm currently playing PSOBB on dial up pretty flawlessly. I remember reading somewhere that it was Broad Band required, but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as your friend when it comes to broad band. "Out of our service area" and what not. They've quoted me on being in my area around March though. I don't know how well that statement will hold though. Here's hoping for me being able to play PSU online's sake -_-

SubstanceD
Jan 25, 2006, 03:58 PM
I sympathise.

Much like your friend, I live in an area where Broadband isn't available ( I live too far out in the counrty, too far out in the middle of nowhere ).

Tystys
Jan 27, 2006, 01:22 AM
I feel for ya buddy, dude. I really do. But I think that maybe it's not going to be ENTIRELY possible for 56K Modems to be used. It just seems that because the world of PSU is gonna be 2-4 times bigger than PSO, that your freind will either lag big time, or worse, DC during a quest.
Has your freind tried to find any loopholes in that stupid ass companies' policy? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

MinscTFA
Jan 27, 2006, 09:35 AM
I couldn't get broadband until I moved a year ago. If I were still at the old place I expect I still wouldn't have BB. If PSU is dialup playable I expect it to be with self imposed resrictions. One may be limiting the team to four or fewer players (dialup may have been the reason PSO only supported four).

OdinTyler
Jan 27, 2006, 09:44 AM
Just like in the past, you should be able to use dialup. The major advantage with broadband is of course, connection speed when first signing on & maintaining a better connection. This isnt guaranteed of course as even broadband ppl DC. Just for your own sakes, try to get broadband. Ive read some of your situations & I DO understand. I played PSO on dialup before. Ugh! Anyway, if you cant get broadband, try to find the best access numbers you can for your provider. Maybe save your best numbers for when youre accessing PSU only. That way youre guaranteed the best connection you can get for your situation.