PDA

View Full Version : Sega Support on the US Release Date

Ryna
Jan 19, 2006, 10:09 PM
I decided to test my luck today and email Sega Support about the meaning of "Winter 2006." Here was my question:

The release date for Phantasy Star Universe is currently set for the ambigious date of "Winter 2006." Does "Winter 2006" mean Quarter 1 2006 or Quarter 4 2006?

Here is the reply:

Dear *insert my name here*,

Thank you for e-mailing Sega Technical Support.

It should be released First Quarter 2006.

Sincerely,

-Sandi
Sega of America Technical Support

I have my doubts about a First Quarter 2006 release....

Nash
Jan 19, 2006, 10:23 PM
First quarter would basically have to mean a simultaneous release with Japan.

I have my doubts as well.

Zarode
Jan 19, 2006, 10:27 PM
Well, that could rule out one thing. They could be released around the same time.

I would doubt it too, but I don't see them putting in English Voices...

I'm hoping they don't. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

OdinTyler
Jan 19, 2006, 11:06 PM
Lets not forget the key word used in her reply 'should'. This tells me its false. If the date were accurate, retailers would have press material & maybe even displays so they could begin taking actual preorders for the game. I dont hold much stock in this info. Someone, somewhere has to make an official press release. We're just getting fed crap by the mouthful & Im just sick & tired of the taste.

DeathMachine
Jan 19, 2006, 11:15 PM
MMM...I mean, eeeew! yeah...Hehe. Let's hope she isn't prone to lying to patrons.

OdinTyler
Jan 19, 2006, 11:19 PM
If a girl tells you something & her name ends in an I when there should be a Y...be concerned. Be VERY concerned...

DeathMachine
Jan 19, 2006, 11:20 PM
It could be Americanization of her Asian name...

ZulfiqarTheIV
Jan 19, 2006, 11:20 PM
All the negativity here amazes me. I think using the word 'should' doesn't automatically mean its false. You finally get some kind of word on the release date for the US and you still complain about it.

OdinTyler
Jan 19, 2006, 11:23 PM
Z, you & I both know that I know what Im talking about if Im gonna analyze the word should. No one wants a release date more than I. However, you should also recall that Im a realist & Sandi with an I is not instilling real confidence in that claim. Press releases sound different & you can sense that in the wording. Trust me on this. ST needs a better reply that what Ryna was given.

Getintothegame
Jan 19, 2006, 11:34 PM
Hm, seems like Sandi has been working with Sonic Team since 2003, when ... Richard (or who was it?) mysteriously left. Seems like she might know what she's talking about.

But then again, you should all remember that there was just a month or two release date difference in Japan and the US for PSO.

EDIT: November 21, 2000 (Japan) and January 29, 2001 (North America)

About 2 months.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2006-01-19 20:36 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Jan 19, 2006, 11:40 PM
1. CS reps are told by their supervisors a generic reply when asked various questions. They anticipate many ppl asking the same questions, perhaps worded differently. That was a generic reply given by Sandi. (Ive done alot of CS, I know the drill).

2. Ppl have to remember that this is NOT PSO. Just because there may have been a short delay between the Japan & US releases, one cannot say that it will repeat for PSU. Its a pretty broad statement to go by. Like saying FFXII will release in the same time frame between Japan & the US that it did for FFXI. Only ST can reveal when making their official press statement. Confusing what we want to happen (a release ASAP) & reality (a still as of yet unknown release) hardly helps anyone.

3. I saw a few Sega reps at the con back in Oct. I figured Id 'play dumb', see what info I could pick up. Getting monotone replies of 'Winter of 2006' & '1st Quarter' didnt sit too well with me. Again, being a realist here, but, it just sounds far too vague.

Brus
Jan 20, 2006, 12:59 AM
I think 1st Quarter 2006 for an american release date was accurate except for a slight error. They completely forgot a zero, so it would look more along the lines of 1st Quarter 20006. Glad I cleared that up!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brus on 2006-01-19 21:59 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Jan 20, 2006, 01:13 AM
Yes, thank you for that insight. Otherwise, who knows how long we wouldve been lost on that issue.

Brus
Jan 20, 2006, 01:51 AM
On 2006-01-19 22:13, OdinTyler wrote:
Yes, thank you for that insight. Otherwise, who knows how long we wouldve been lost on that issue.

You guys are welcome, you know I try to help out where I can. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

SirAri
Jan 20, 2006, 06:41 AM
I head talk of a may 7 U.S. realse date some time ago in the forums.

It would make sence if it was released in the u.s. on may 7th, due to the delay on release in Japan.

I mean its gotta take a few months to translate all of that and get english voice actors and all of that.

So may 7th as a projected release date seems pretty acurate to me.

That is, unless translation and all of that takes longer than I figure it does.

In which case, I think well have psu some time by next year. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Brus
Jan 20, 2006, 07:14 AM
On 2006-01-20 03:41, SirAri wrote:
I head talk of a may 7 U.S. realse date some time ago in the forums.

It would make sence if it was released in the u.s. on may 7th, due to the delay on release in Japan.

I mean its gotta take a few months to translate all of that and get english voice actors and all of that.

So may 7th as a projected release date seems pretty acurate to me.

That is, unless translation and all of that takes longer than I figure it does.

In which case, I think well have psu some time by next year. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

They dont translate after its done and out in japan, they've been in the process of translating it for a looong time. There's even quite a few english screen shots floatin around. For all we know they're probably already done translating it ahahaha oh I wish. I'm expecting US release in MAY despite what sega CS says.

OdinTyler
Jan 20, 2006, 10:00 AM
Actually, they do have to wait for a Japanese game to be complete before translation can begin. Not necessarily after the game is released, but, certainly after its complete. This applies to any game coming from overseas. As last reported by the devs, its only 80% finished. I found that number kinda fishy. Anyway, it takes a long time to translate alot of text & even more if theres alot of voice in there. Some developers are pretty good at getting it done in a shorter time. One such company is gone. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif If they were here, theyd ensure we'd get PSU as quick as Japan did. Well, shortly thereafter, anyway.

Nash
Jan 20, 2006, 10:37 AM
Not all games are translated after completion. Sonic Team are experienced in developing their games multi-lingual from the start. Other companies just hand their games over to Western publishers to translate after they are done.

From the screenshots and clips we've seen, I'd say it's fairly likely the translation work is already done. If international-play and word-select are returning, they'd need multi-lingual versions to properly test it.

Any delays to the Western release will probably be down to English voice-acting, getting the servers up and running, and deciding what they are going to do about the SegaLink integration over here.

Shadow_Wing
Jan 20, 2006, 12:46 PM
Actually generally most JP games are translated after the JP release, however this isn't entirely true. The company has the choice, if it has the money and resources, to have both JP and ENG translation development at the same time. I find this is occuring more often in present time than it use to before.

So I don't doubt the 1st quarter of 2006, however we won't know till it really comes out.

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Jan 20, 2006, 01:11 PM
On 2006-01-20 07:37, Nash wrote:
Not all games are translated after completion. Sonic Team are experienced in developing their games multi-lingual from the start. Other companies just hand their games over to Western publishers to translate after they are done.

From the screenshots and clips we've seen, I'd say it's fairly likely the translation work is already done. If international-play and word-select are returning, they'd need multi-lingual versions to properly test it.

Any delays to the Western release will probably be down to English voice-acting, getting the servers up and running, and deciding what they are going to do about the SegaLink integration over here.

I'm gonna have to agree with Nash here on the translation. The game is a multi-lingual online game. How would word select translations work if they dont translate before the jp release? It's not like the majority of other japanese games, where they are initially made for japan, and then sent to a localization team to be remade for america.

DizzyDi
Jan 20, 2006, 02:56 PM
Heheh, I find it kind ironic that people this whole time have been talking about not believing anything until they get an official word from ST, and now HERE WE HAVE ONE and everyone is still being skeptical. Calm down guys, Sandi(y) herself said that PSU should be released around the 1st quater. Now should didn't exactly mean "we're lying to you" should was just...should. So basically they're saying it SHOULD come out, unless something screws all that up. Thats my 2 cents on it anyway.

Ryna
Jan 20, 2006, 03:07 PM
Even though the response came from an official source, I still have my doubts. It has always been my experience that most Customer Service Representatives are a little bit out of the loop on the latest information. Perhaps Sandi didn't have any other sources of information besides what was on the Sega website? At the very least, the "should" implies there is some doubt as to whether the game will be released during the first quarter.

It would help if we could get a response from someone higher-up in the company. Unfortunately, that could prove to be a daunting task.

Kayai
Jan 20, 2006, 03:11 PM
hmmm Quarter 1 would be cool...but i have some doubts about that....The one thing that im fairly confident in though is a May 2006 release cause ive seen this date everywhere (i.e IGN,other members, ect...)

OdinTyler
Jan 20, 2006, 03:12 PM
I cant believe Im saying this...

I agree with Ryna.

Who knew? LOL Seriously tho. You & I know that you were given a BS reply. Im just a bit more suspicious because Im being realistic about this. Sure, a Feb or Mar release would be great. However, without more to go on, I wont jump the gun.

Ryna
Jan 20, 2006, 03:15 PM
On 2006-01-20 12:12, OdinTyler wrote:
I cant believe Im saying this...

I agree with Ryna.

Who knew?

Geez.....am I that bad of a person?

Anyways, I'll see if there is there is anyway I can send an inquiry to someone higher in the company. This may involve working through some third parties, so it may take a little while to get an ansnwer.

OdinTyler
Jan 20, 2006, 03:18 PM
On 2006-01-20 12:15, Ryna wrote:
Geez.....am I that bad of a person?

Anyways, I'll see if there is there is anyway I can send an inquiry to someone higher in the company. This may involve working through some third parties, so it may take a little while to get an ansnwer.

LMAO Ill just not answer that one. Well, if you can find someone other than Sandi with an I, to talk to, it might shine some light on this sensitive topic. I wouldnt suggest going to Marketing. The ppl that should give us some answers, probably wont. It would mean jumping heads. I wonder what Sega's or ST's head PR rep would say?

Ryna
Jan 20, 2006, 03:51 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=107366&forum=20&1

So much for the Quarter 1 release. Since this thread is not needed anymore, I am going to lock it.