PDA

View Full Version : Extra Mode

vox3om
Jan 22, 2006, 03:01 PM
So with this extra mode, does that mean that we can play just as you would online, but with separate characters. Meaning that it will be just like the GC version but also have the story of Ethan to complete as well? If how I'm understanding this is true, that just brought a whole new level of AMAZINGNESS to PSU...

Nash
Jan 22, 2006, 03:09 PM
Sort of, although Extra Mode is just a bonus mode that lets you replay areas with your character which you have already cleared with Ethan.

It's a nice feature for adding replay-value, and will give you the online experience of building up your own character if you can't or don't want to go online.

Brus
Jan 22, 2006, 03:10 PM
This sounds like more reason to import even if you're not sure whether or not you can get online. (I know that many people will get online, but there will be some who can't and that is who I'm referring to.)

Nash
Jan 22, 2006, 03:15 PM
Yeah, it does make importing less of a risk.

Even in the worst case scenario of being Japanese-only and unable to pay for online, you'll still be able to mess around with character-creation and experiment with what characters you are going to use.

Alisha
Jan 22, 2006, 04:40 PM
will also make it very easy for importers to make character creation videos http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif needless to say extra mode sealed the deal im importing i'm currently researching if its possible without buying an import ps2

Niki
Jan 22, 2006, 04:40 PM
i don't know, coming from someone with virtually no interest in the offline story mode, i think its just more of a reason to play as Ethan in the first place. Which, now that i know this, i will.

Kimil
Jan 22, 2006, 05:21 PM
i'm currently researching if its possible without buying an import ps2

Wait, you need a JP PS2 to play the JP version?! fuck it then, I can wait till fall if I have to.

QuadTail
Jan 22, 2006, 05:55 PM
I just have one thing to say... YAY!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif
That's awesome! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

... I wonder if there will be like a story to it?

Like maybe you're like Ethan's apprentice or something? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Kewl... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bunny.gif

Oh, and, if I don't go online (which I probably will, but I'm not sure), I can make characters! It's half the fun to make a character! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif Fiddling with outfits and such... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/blush.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: QuadTail on 2006-01-22 15:15 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: QuadTail on 2006-01-22 15:16 ]</font>

SirAri
Jan 22, 2006, 06:20 PM
On 2006-01-22 14:21, Kimil wrote:

Wait, you need a JP PS2 to play the JP version?! fuck it then, I can wait till fall if I have to.

Or you can take the top off of it.

This somehow overrides some code or something on the inside, allowing you to play Japanese games.

Deja vu.

PrinceBrightstar
Jan 22, 2006, 06:39 PM
PC is region free.

capin_bucky_ohair
Jan 22, 2006, 06:43 PM
Yeah I was going to say that, and the only way to play Playstation 2 import version is through modding or buying a japanese playstation 2. With those two in mind Im just going to wait on fall even though I still need to do something about my current playstation 2 ><.

Parn
Jan 22, 2006, 07:02 PM
On 2006-01-22 15:39, Jonathan_F wrote:
PC is region free.
Not exactly. Ys: Oath in Felghana for example, will not run unless you have Windows XP running with its region set to Japan. Though this is easily fixed through the regional settings in your control panel, it's still worth noting.

vox3om
Jan 22, 2006, 07:26 PM
Everyone seems to be importing as well as buying the US version when it is released...so most of you are going to pay $100+ for PSU total? That's a lot of money...I'm just going to wait it out till US PSU comes out.

Niki
Jan 22, 2006, 07:37 PM
On 2006-01-22 16:26, vox3om wrote:
Everyone seems to be importing as well as buying the US version when it is released...so most of you are going to pay $100+ for PSU total? That's a lot of money...I'm just going to wait it out till US PSU comes out.

Actually it's more like an initial investment of $360, plus the annual cost of at least $100 per account.

PSU will, for me, be everything a game, a story, and an online massive should be. That's worth the expense, i think.

SirAri
Jan 22, 2006, 08:31 PM
On 2006-01-22 16:37, Niki wrote:
PSU will, for me, be everything a game, a story, and an online massive should be. That's worth the expense, i think.

Agreed.

I mean... if you've seen the videos on character creation... Its beautiful. I can adjust facial proportions! Facial proportions! How fucking cool is that?

I can also adjust the pitch of the voice.

I can only imagine what else they've come up with... o_q

vox3om
Jan 22, 2006, 08:45 PM
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I'm not getting the game. I just meant whats the purpose of importing when you are going to want to buy it again once its released in the US. I'm spending the $50-60 on the US copy, then $100 for online fees as well!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Russ2576
Jan 22, 2006, 09:59 PM

I did some research too. Found a site with a couple various means of doing it, such as the flip top method. I'd post a link, but since what they do also lets you play back-ups, that might be against the forum rules. PM me if you want the link, unless the mods say I can post it.

Ryna
Jan 22, 2006, 10:03 PM
On 2006-01-22 18:59, Russ2576 wrote:
I did some research too. Found a site with a couple various means of doing it, such as the flip top method. I'd post a link, but since what they do also lets you play back-ups, that might be against the forum rules. PM me if you want the link, unless the mods say I can post it.

If the proposed method also lets you play back-ups, it would be against forum rules to post the link.

therealAERO
Jan 22, 2006, 10:04 PM
To play kingdom hearts 2 I went out and bought a slide tool, and a swap disc, but for PSU I'm just going to get it for PC. I have a feeling PSU might break the 4.7 gig barrier. If it does I won't be able to use my swap disc on it.

DarK-SuN
Jan 22, 2006, 10:16 PM
It was said PSU for PC requires 8 gigs of disk space, so expect that to be the ammount of space it'll take in a PS2 DVD; this will be a tough one to backup for the PS2 due to the probable DVD9 disk, which is fine for me, since people HAVE to buy it.

Alisha
Jan 23, 2006, 12:37 PM
the method i settled on requires the HDD loader and a 1 time use of a slide tool but if psu ends up bein a dual layer dvd it wont work.worse case scenario ill borrow my girlfriends import ps2

Yummi
Jan 23, 2006, 02:45 PM
It's a fat chance it won't happen but I think it would be nifty if the extra mode allowed you to play as an 2-player offline game.

Raymah
Jan 24, 2006, 01:57 PM
It would be cool if the extra mode had a co-op version. If it doesn't though, then I don't think it's worth buying the import.

watashiwa
Jan 24, 2006, 03:15 PM
d00d, lol. To play import games, you don't need a slide card, a flip top, or even a HD on your PS2. Although it can be seen as a negative, any cheat device will let you play imports. Action Replay, Code Breaker, whatever...

You just boot them normally by putting their CD in the drive, when the prompt comes up to enter codes or start game, just put your import disc in and hit start game. Bam, you're done.

SirAri
Jan 24, 2006, 04:51 PM
Honestly?

watashiwa
Jan 25, 2006, 12:19 AM
If you were asking me, I have no reason to lie, but yeah.. it works like that.

The only region checking is done at the very start of your PS2. You boot with a US cheat device like Code Breaker, hit Start Game, replace with import, and it boots. You can also replace with import then hit Start Game. Whichever order you prefer.

Sinue_v2
Jan 25, 2006, 03:41 AM
Perhaps that's the way it is on the newer cheat devices. I bought a Cheat Device alongside Phantasy Star Generation 1 and Fantasy Zone - nievely thinking I could boot them with the Cheat disks like I did back in the Dreamcast days.

Not so, unfortunately. I had to buy the flip-top lid with boot-disks.

watashiwa
Jan 25, 2006, 11:21 AM
Actually, I'm wrong, partially. I *thought* Code Breaker booted imports, but it doesn't.

Swap Magic, does, though. You DON'T have to modify your PS2 to use Swap Magic (as far as booting imports go). You'd only have to get the flip top lid if you plan to boot backups.

If you're just booting imports, Swap Magic (which costs $19.99) will work perfectly for you.

.. Breaker Pro also does the same thing. (Although it allows you to do PS1 backups as well as PS2 imports.. But backups are illegal so.. =P)

I'd provide the site to get either of the two, but that'd probably be going too far, since both have the ability to boot backups of some sort. (Provided you modified your Playstation 2)

But, again, if you did not mod your PS2's lid, you can STILL use Swap Magic to play imports with no problem.

Sinue_v2
Jan 25, 2006, 01:01 PM
If you're going to get Boot Magic, I would suggest getting the flip-top lid. Sony makes cheap enough components as it is - and the idea of shoving a plastic hook into your PS2 and forcing the disk-tray open has never sat well with me. Expecially when you'll be playing a game as often as Phantasy Star Universe.

I'm not sure if you can boot PS1 games with boot magic. I never tried - though I did get two disks with my order. One for CD's and one for DVDs.

Russ2576
Jan 25, 2006, 02:58 PM
Wouldn't it work just like a cheat device though? Start game > eject disk when prompted > replace with import? Watashiwa said you only need the flip top lid or the slide card thing for playing backups.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Russ2576 on 2006-01-25 12:03 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Jan 25, 2006, 03:11 PM
Its amazing. Theres still not a version of the game out yet & ppl are already planning on how to cheat not only the game, but, the system its played on. Bear in mind two things:

1. PSOW isnt going to necessarily condone continued discussions of cheat methods.

2. No matter how minor the method may seem, regardless of what it does, you still have to factor in the ability to play online. If DNAS stops you from getting on, there shouldnt be any wonder why.

Russ2576
Jan 25, 2006, 03:39 PM
Whose talking about cheating? We're just discussing how to play the import PSU.

OdinTyler
Jan 25, 2006, 03:54 PM
On 2006-01-25 11:58, Russ2576 wrote:
Wouldn't it work just like a cheat device though? Start game > eject disk when prompted > replace with import? Watashiwa said you only need the flip top lid or the slide card thing for playing backups.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Russ2576 on 2006-01-25 12:03 ]</font>

Your honor, I present Exhibit A: a testimony.

Ryna
Jan 25, 2006, 04:00 PM
The comments so far have been about how to play imports on a US PS2 system. Some of these methods involving using cheat devices. It isn't against forum rules to acknowledge the existence of cheat devices or talk about some of their non-cheating uses. Problems arise when people start talking about how to hack the game or ask for cheat codes.

Russ2576
Jan 25, 2006, 04:07 PM
On 2006-01-25 12:54, OdinTyler wrote:

On 2006-01-25 11:58, Russ2576 wrote:

Your honor, I present Exhibit A: a testimony.

I don't get how that's considered cheating, unless ejecting a disk and replacing it with another is considered cheating now?

ajenteks
Jan 25, 2006, 04:36 PM
On 2006-01-25 13:07, Russ2576 wrote:

I don't get how that's considered cheating, unless ejecting a disk and replacing it with another is considered cheating now?

Well, few people, if any, considered it cheating when Barubary's Xploder code that allowed importers to convert their US v1 characters for use in JP v2 was posted on this site and others, but otherwise the consensus saw nothing wrong with it, because that wasn't really cheating, either, and nobody was buying Xploders with the intent to cheat either, even though it certainly lent itself to that if one got bored enough. It's probably also just coincidence that v2 had more malicious hacks/exploits and the cheating made v1 look tame by comparison, too.

You'll have to forgive some of the people who still have a bitter taste in their mouths from that experience.

Russ2576
Jan 25, 2006, 04:47 PM
I see. Well still, he shouldn't be automatically assuming the worst in people. If can buy a Codebreaker, Action Replay, or whatever, and use that to run the import PSU(which I'm considering getting), instead of physically modding either of my PS2s, then yeah, I'll do it. Doesn't mean I wanna hack the game to bits and walk around with every rare item in the game. Believe me, I hate cheaters just as much as everybody else.

Sinue_v2
Jan 26, 2006, 01:53 AM
I'm not 100% sure of the actual mechanics behind how the PS2 boots up - but I know that when you hit the eject button and insert a new disk, it checks the region code. So in that way, cheat devices which I have used would not work to boot up imports.

Boot Magic does not involve "opening the disk tray" in the traditional sence. Most people forcably pull open the disk tray and shove it back in - bypassing the "open" button which would trigger the re-check of the region. I use a flip-top lid, so as soon as the game stops I can pop the top off my PS2 and pull the disk from inside and replace it - also circumventing the "Open" button.

Although it may not sound like it from the above description - using the flip-top lid is rather painless on your PS2, and would be the method I recommend to reduce wear and tear on your disk-tray gears. Not to mention it's handy to have if your disk tray ever craps out on you for natural reasons. (Which it has been known to do)

I can't speak to methods of how to play imports on the slimline model though.. only the original fatboy model.

Oh.. and in response to Odin's comment about the DNAS check when going online. Using the Boot Magic disks does NOT interfere with the DNAS checks. I've tried this myself using Monster Hunter, and it went through flawlessly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-01-25 22:55 ]</font>

Atayin
Jan 26, 2006, 05:11 AM
I'm really looking forward to PSU's single player mode. It'll be very nice to enjoy a good Phantasy Star RPG that isn't online. Don't get me wrong, PSO is awesome (of course), but I'm excited about a much more thurough story with cutscenes, character conflict and the like.

Naturally, I was surprised when I found out about the Extra Mode. I had figured that things would already have enough variety with ordinary SP mode and Online mode... but this makes it really look like they are serious about finishing a good product that fans can enjoy.

Now, if only it still had a Feb release date..
oh well. Good things come to those who wait http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif

OdinTyler
Jan 26, 2006, 10:11 AM
Thank you, Atayin. Im glad someone agrees with me that its still good to have a separate mode with pre-gen chars that you cant create, but, can still have fun with. Playing through in a regular RPG is still a good thing. I just hope the story is more detailed than before & I pray it plays out longer than the 40hrs that was promised. 40 is pretty damn small, especially for me.

DeathMachine
Jan 26, 2006, 10:31 AM
It's small to everyone except the casual gamer who will only play once a week. For everyone else, we'll need to get our fix on the extra mode, or delete our file and start over.

OdinTyler
Jan 26, 2006, 10:37 AM
No, seriously, 40hrs is small. Especially for me. Im pretty damn good at RPGs. But then, knowing me, I like to find out all the secrets & such that I can, so that DOES add extra time to it. I already figured out that 60+ is an avg, decent time. However, longer would be better. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I mean, in this particular instance, this will be the game I work on when the online server is under maintenance or if none of my friends are on or Im just flat out bored. Offline Id hope would keep me playing for a good long time on that alone.

DeathMachine
Jan 26, 2006, 10:40 AM
I wasn't being sarcastic. I could beat a 40 hour game in a few days, if I wasn't running around doing side quests, rare hunting, leveling up,...

OdinTyler
Jan 26, 2006, 10:41 AM
You mean a few days of 24 hrs you mean. Even I couldnt beat a 40hr game in 3 days. Id have to get some sleep sometime. You know how side stuff including lvling up can slow one's progress. Just all part of the fun. Btw I see you posting alot here. How about some more activity on our forum too, hmmm? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

DeathMachine
Jan 26, 2006, 10:51 AM
Uhmmm...Gotta go! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Russ2576
Jan 26, 2006, 01:35 PM
On 2006-01-25 22:53, Sinue_v2 wrote:
I'm not 100% sure of the actual mechanics behind how the PS2 boots up - but I know that when you hit the eject button and insert a new disk, it checks the region code. So in that way, cheat devices which I have used would not work to boot up imports.

Boot Magic does not involve "opening the disk tray" in the traditional sence. Most people forcably pull open the disk tray and shove it back in - bypassing the "open" button which would trigger the re-check of the region. I use a flip-top lid, so as soon as the game stops I can pop the top off my PS2 and pull the disk from inside and replace it - also circumventing the "Open" button.

Although it may not sound like it from the above description - using the flip-top lid is rather painless on your PS2, and would be the method I recommend to reduce wear and tear on your disk-tray gears. Not to mention it's handy to have if your disk tray ever craps out on you for natural reasons. (Which it has been known to do)

I can't speak to methods of how to play imports on the slimline model though.. only the original fatboy model.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, if I import the Jp PSU I think I'll go with a flip top. They have flip tops for the slim PS2 out now too, saw one at a site yesterday.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Russ2576 on 2006-01-26 10:40 ]</font>