PDA

View Full Version : Ignorance knows no limits

Dek
Jan 23, 2006, 03:28 PM
Ignorance has been know to be one of the greatest tragedies that strikes human beings, whether it be the past, the present, or even the future...

By now, we have all heard of Jack Thompson. To some, this rant may just seem like another topic relating to how much of an "asshole" or "prick" he is. However, I truely believe words such as the two mentioned above cannot even describe him anymore. Instead, words that are far worse can officially describe him and his actions...

On MetalGearSolid.org, one of their members commited suicide earlier in the month. Then again, I'll let the article explain everything...

http://www.metalgearsolid.org/featurez/articles/mitch_article.php

We, as a community, pay tribute to our fallen comrade.

Mitchell "Mitch" Lee Stuekerjuergen, also known as "Kuja105" on GameFAQs as well as on our TUS Forums, passed away on Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2006, at St. Francis Hospital in Peoria, Ill. He was twenty years old.

A regular to both communities, he was well known for quickly becoming a friend to everyone who knew him. A sophomore journalism major from Ft. Madison, IA, he was an avid gaming and science-fiction fan, with a talent for inspiring discussion among his peers and an endless appreciation for Calvin & Hobbes. Formallities aside, Mitch was one hell of a guy -- I first met him a while back, when I was running one of my first websites. He quickly gained my respect and became a moderator. That community survived as long as it did because of his work.

Outside of the internet, Mitch was a person who cared about his family more than anything. Though he may not have talked much about them, it was clear that they were at the forefront of his thoughts and his heart. I'm going to miss talking to him every day, and this community will never quite recover from the loss.

Truthfully, there is no way for me to properly express this alone. The following are comments from his friends within the MGSTUS community. More will be added as they are sent in --

The following reply is from Jack Thompson himself...

Jack Thompson:
"Your "gamer friend" will find peace through the Lord, Jesus Christ, but sadly it's too late for that.

There is a void in every heart. You can fill it up with the things of God, or the things not of God. This unfortunate soul chose to fill it up with combat games. The playing of these video games is masturbatory activity, meaning senseless self-stimulation. If you gamers could use a dictionary you would know that that term is not necessarily a sexual one.

The real tragedy here extends beyond the life and death of this one fellow. There are literally millions of young people and young adults whose despair is deepend by turning to the things of this world and then finding them meaningless.

All of you gamers need to put down the controllers and get a life. The utter inanity of the vast majority of postings here shows how vapid "gaming" really is.

You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.

Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess.

Sad. Sad for all of you."

What truely drives this man to say such a thing about an issue that may have nothing to do with video games in the first place? What drives this man to say such a thing about a young man who committed suicide? What drives this man to belittle the family and wonderful community the young man knew?

Rest in Peace, Mitchell "Mitch" Lee Stuekerjuergen (Kuja105). May the communites and family that you have left become stronger and learn to fight the evil.

fronebullare
Jan 23, 2006, 04:10 PM
obviously this "jack" guy is one off those "hard core" christians, and will try to blame the death of people on anything that is not directly related to GOD.My condolences to Mitch.

WraithVerge
Jan 23, 2006, 05:35 PM
Never heard about any of this before, but from what I gather the guy (Jack) sure could learn to take the rightous stick out of his ass and keep his mouth shut.

Going off-topic a bit, I can't stand people who say "video games cause violence/depression in teens" when they have no proof to back this statement up. Seems to me this guy Jack has it in his head that the man killed himself over a video game and that gives him a right to cast derisive comments at all gamers.

Everyone has their opinions, but sometimes I wish certain people would learn to keep it to themselves.

Skorpius
Jan 23, 2006, 06:22 PM
He's insane. We all know that. It's a shame that he's a smart man, mislead on a path of ignorance. We need people like him, which will sound odd, but he is very persistant and intelligent. His problem is his lack of open -mindedness and inability to learn.

A lost cause to humanity.

Neith
Jan 23, 2006, 06:32 PM
Really, religious critics like this guy drive me insane. I loathe them with a passion.

The guy who committed suicide- obviously a massive blow to all his family, friends, and anyone who knew him. For some other guy to come barging in spouting 'Jesus Christ will save him, but it's too late', then to launch an attack (which is how I read his post) on the entire gaming community is just sad.

I actually agree with Skorp on this one. It's obvious from this religious dude's post that he is intelligent. Unfortunately, he's also too caught up in faith, and as a consequence, he's misguided.

It's about time that religious fanatics learnt that today's modern activities (such as gaming) are not lost causes.

The only lost cause here is the guy who replied.

Sad to hear about the suicide though, my thoughts are with the family I guess =/

Edit: Oh! I didn't see it's Jack Thompson. What a complete ass.
*gives him the finger*

'Death-culture'? Since I don't know the details of the suicide, I won't post guesses, but gaming isn't dangerous- at least, not when it's taken seriously, and not overdone.

*waits for another mention of 'Postal' killings..*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UrikoBB3 on 2006-01-23 15:38 ]</font>

Tystys
Jan 27, 2006, 04:56 PM
On 2006-01-23 15:32, UrikoBB3 wrote:
Really, religious critics like this guy drive me insane. I loathe them with a passion.

The guy who committed suicide- obviously a massive blow to all his family, friends, and anyone who knew him. For some other guy to come barging in spouting 'Jesus Christ will save him, but it's too late', then to launch an attack (which is how I read his post) on the entire gaming community is just sad.

I actually agree with Skorp on this one. It's obvious from this religious dude's post that he is intelligent. Unfortunately, he's also too caught up in faith, and as a consequence, he's misguided.

It's about time that religious fanatics learnt that today's modern activities (such as gaming) are not lost causes.

The only lost cause here is the guy who replied.

Sad to hear about the suicide though, my thoughts are with the family I guess =/

Edit: Oh! I didn't see it's Jack Thompson. What a complete ass.
*gives him the finger*

'Death-culture'? Since I don't know the details of the suicide, I won't post guesses, but gaming isn't dangerous- at least, not when it's taken seriously, and not overdone.

*waits for another mention of 'Postal' killings..*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UrikoBB3 on 2006-01-23 15:38 ]</font>

No, it's not just sad, it's uncalled for.
How DARE he say such a thing?
How DARE he even go to such lengths to trying to stop people from playing games by bringing religion into this? His soul is damned because he's played Video games? How DARE YOU.

It's people like this that make me sad to be an American. Because it's only here where regular people will go so low, lower than the plankton on the food chain just to try and stop people doing what they enjoy doing.
No matter where this guy's spirit is(I'm a religious man, I believe in ghosts and stuff, lol), I bet you one hundred percent, he's doing his best to haunt Jack Thompson's dumb ass.

Tkinc
Feb 3, 2006, 06:24 PM
'Jack' is simply uneducated, and doesn't understand that gaming doesn't involve turning kids into zombies and make them commit suicide- its actually the opposite cause they are fun http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif However, I do agree their are some over-imaginative freaks out their that are truely insane with playing too much video games- but nontheless so is he/she effected by everything else for that matter.

I'm sad when people die- they are like brothers/sisters to me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif What 'Jack' still needs to know is that instead of hypothesizing that video games are the culprit, it could have just been emotional issues- which are the true cause of 99% of suicides

Charmander02
Feb 3, 2006, 06:42 PM
On 2006-01-23 13:10, fronebullare wrote:
obviously this "jack" guy is one off those "hard core" christians, and will try to blame the death of people on anything that is not directly related to GOD.My condolences to Mitch.

"hard core" Christian? NEVER. I'm christian and i would never say something like that. This guy seems just like a hypocryite who thinks he's all good cuz he has the favour of God. He should know something GOD LOVES EVERONE THE SAME.

Jehosaphaty
Feb 3, 2006, 07:03 PM
the hospital mitch died in is less than fifteen minutes from where i live. small world. heres to mitch's family, that they are able to find peace. also, this thread will descend to hell over a religious arguement that is unnecessary.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jehosaphaty on 2006-02-03 16:06 ]</font>