PDA

View Full Version : Avatar (edited)

Kimil
Jan 25, 2006, 07:12 PM
Look down the page a bit, I added on...

Alright, I don't think I need to show a pic, but in most pictures where Ethan is in the party, it shows his face by his 'HUD' info (for non-Halo ppl, his Hp and other stats)... but I've never seen a pic with the faces of anyone else like on the online thing, or the extra mode, or even any teamates, only Ethan...

Since there's the whole thing with Face close ups instead smileys, would it really be hard to make that posible for every character? It should be easy; I mean just chose a pose or something, or an emotional expresion, ad then it should pop up like the avatar that Ethan has. Sorta like what they have in Sims 2; take the custom changes of the basic face, and aply it to the wire skeleton to mold to the expresion, this shouldn't be to hard.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kimil on 2006-01-25 20:05 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Jan 25, 2006, 07:30 PM
Well, from whats been seen, the face in cutin chat seems to show some amount of emotion. The head IS based on how YOUR char looks, so that will vary. Also, I think the lips do move when your char is talking. Back to emotion, Idk if theyre pre-chosen or what, but, if Im to guess, it wont be that bad.

KhaosKidd
Jan 25, 2006, 08:25 PM
i agree but i think it will B pre-chosen http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Dre_o
Jan 25, 2006, 08:36 PM
Last time I checked, it was HUD (heads up display and fyi, Halo is not relatively the first game to have things like that.) but I assume most of the HUD display stuff will be pre set.

And Odin pretty much summed up what I think about the Cut-in thing.

OdinTyler
Jan 25, 2006, 08:40 PM
See, Khaos? Pays to stick with me. Yes, I speculate alot, but, I try to base it on info, the best I can. That & Ive been known to make true predictions about PS in the past. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Nash
Jan 25, 2006, 10:42 PM
With cut-in chat, I think it may set the emotion from what smileys you type in your message.

Parn
Jan 25, 2006, 10:52 PM
It's possible that you type commands to set your character's "mood". This is done in Everquest 2, and the mood you set determines the facial expression your character maintains as you play the game, until you change it again.

Kimil
Jan 25, 2006, 11:04 PM
I wasn't talking about the cut in chat... I was talking about the avatar that Ethan hAS... okay, I guess I should make it clear with this Pic:
http://www.pso-world.com/images/psu/hud/hud.jpg
http://www.pso-world.com/images/psu/hud/hud.jpg

Where the number 1 is, that picture. I was thinking, why can't there be a picture like that for all the characters and online ones two? And since they can make the custom faces do stuff, like in the cut in chat, why can't they do that for this too?

Ryna
Jan 25, 2006, 11:14 PM
On 2006-01-25 20:04, Kimil wrote:
Where the number 1 is, that picture. I was thinking, why can't there be a picture like that for all the characters and online ones two? And since they can make the custom faces do stuff, like in the cut in chat, why can't they do that for this too?

I think the primary reason is that having a bunch of avatars would take up too much space. The screen is cluttered as it is. If you have six of those along with detailed health bars, that would take up most of the left side of the screen.

Kimil
Jan 26, 2006, 12:18 AM
Right... that makes sense o.o

OdinTyler
Jan 26, 2006, 08:36 AM
Also, theres a more practical reason why that is. From what we know, Ethan is the only char you have 100% control over. The others being AI that accompany you (I know, I disagree with this too). Also, the numbers that join you vary from none to possibly 5. I guess ST didnt see the point in showing an avatar for chars you may not have total control over. However, for aesthetic value, they shouldve. Oh well.

DeathMachine
Jan 26, 2006, 09:19 AM
You'll be seeing enough of their ugly mugs when they spam Cut-In Chat windows all along the sides of your screens. (They did show that Cut-In is only on the sides so as not to blind you, right?)

OdinTyler
Jan 26, 2006, 10:08 AM
Actually, with cutin chat, I think theres a close proximity rule to prevent spamming. Youd only see ppl close to you. I also happened to notice only 1 at a time being shown, tho more than 1 person was talking. I think it will show a face for someone initially talking, then, fade away when another person speaks. It makes sense to give ppl their chance to speak, free from spamage.

DeathMachine
Jan 26, 2006, 10:36 AM
But, then we won't be able to perform a group GASP when something amazing happens. Like when a monsterously large boss appears. Or when your Megid "accidentally" kills Dre...

OdinTyler
Jan 26, 2006, 10:37 AM
LMAO Im just not replying to this post. Im just...not.

DeathMachine
Jan 26, 2006, 11:01 AM
Awww...c'mon...you know you want to...

E'hrm. Back on topic, will the pic of you're avatar show pain? Like when a Belra decides to shoot it's arm into you're shoulder. Will Humanoids show pain? (I know no one is quaified to answer, but still...)

OdinTyler
Jan 26, 2006, 11:08 AM
Actually, Id be qualified as Ive played it before. Truth is, I was too busy fighting to notice. I honestly dont know. Sorry. Ill look when I play again...which of course will be when the game comes out.

Lovejuice
Jan 26, 2006, 11:14 AM
If you look back to the old PS2 'Forest' and 'Relics' run-through videos of last year (from Digital Life?), the small avatar type picture doesn't appear to change at all, upon being hit. All that seems to happen upon being struck is the slight shake of your (or your party member's) data, similar to PSO. Of course, this may have changed in builds since then.

I thought it was a nice little touch how upon defeat, the screen still takes on the 'red overlay' effect - as was the case in PSO.

Kayai
Jan 26, 2006, 01:00 PM
It would be pretty cool if your health gets lower then the avatars pic starts to get more and more beat up...

Kimil
Jan 26, 2006, 01:09 PM
Okay, we understand the reason why it's like that ofline, but why can't there be one for your character online? even just yours?

DeathMachine
Jan 26, 2006, 02:24 PM
Because ST is notoriously lazy...Check out their web-cam if you don't believe me.

Russ2576
Jan 26, 2006, 02:34 PM
Probably because that avatar of Ethan is pre-rendered. With all the many different combinations available for created chars, it's probably just not feasible.

Although, I concede using the cut-in chat avatar for that would've been quite possible.

DeathMachine
Jan 26, 2006, 02:38 PM
How is it not feasable? You match certain points on the face (ie: eyes, nose, mouth, temples, etc.) and make it smile...is that really difficult? (No, really, I'm asking, because I don't know)

SirAri
Jan 26, 2006, 02:58 PM
On 2006-01-26 11:38, DeathMachine wrote:
How is it not feasable? You match certain points on the face (ie: eyes, nose, mouth, temples, etc.) and make it smile...is that really difficult? (No, really, I'm asking, because I don't know)

Thats not how its done at all.

I'm fairly sure the characters we design ourselves will not show emotion.

I could be wrong.

But the cut in chat pictures look like art that has nothing to do with the digital relm, so the thing your talking about foing with mapping point on the face just doesnt seem like what they're doing.

OdinTyler
Jan 26, 2006, 03:12 PM
1. The Digital Life demo - I do remember some kind of shaking or quick jarring. I do recall that. The action was going kinda fast. LOL

2. Online avatars - no emotion? - I must disagree. I clearly saw faces showing various emotions for cut-in chat. Either its predetermined or you select various faces, Idk. I do know it can change. Its been shown in still shots & vids. You just gotta scan through them & it will show it to be the case.

DeathMachine
Jan 26, 2006, 04:11 PM
We were talking about next to the HP bar. Why wouldn't it be that easy?

DizzyDi
Jan 26, 2006, 04:36 PM
On 2006-01-25 20:14, Ryna wrote:

On 2006-01-25 20:04, Kimil wrote:

I think the primary reason is that having a bunch of avatars would take up too much space. The screen is cluttered as it is. If you have six of those along with detailed health bars, that would take up most of the left side of the screen.

Well looking at the screen, seems like only Ethan has the avatar. Sooo...If they would implement avatars into online gameplay, only your char would have one, would is kinda stupid IMO. So it wouldn't make much sense to add character pictures into the HUD anyway, online at least.

Ryna
Jan 26, 2006, 04:39 PM
If you look at the following images, you'll see that your "avatar" is not present for online mode:

http://www.pso-world.com/images/psu/online/party-3.jpg

http://www.pso-world.com/images/psu/online/party-4.jpg

I prefer not having the avatar on there since it decreases the amount of room the status bars take up. Having the status bars for a 6 member team only takes up a small amount of screen space.

Kimil
Jan 26, 2006, 05:33 PM
Ya, but those are old Screens, and some new ones have the 'HUD' information much bigger then that.

Ryna
Jan 26, 2006, 05:36 PM
On 2006-01-26 14:33, Kimil wrote:
Ya, but those are old Screens, and some new ones have the 'HUD' information much bigger then that.

Actually, those are the screenshots that are still being used in the party section on the official site. Even in the newest ones, you do not have an avatar:

http://www.pso-world.com/images/psu/news/01-20-06/psu-012006-05.jpg

Kimil
Jan 26, 2006, 05:39 PM
Ya, I know they're not using the avatars >.< I was just saying in this Topic; Why can't they?

Ryna
Jan 26, 2006, 05:43 PM
On 2006-01-26 14:39, Kimil wrote:
Ya, I know they're not using the avatars >.< I was just saying in this Topic; Why can't they?

If I was in Sonic Team's shoes, the ends probably would not justify the amount of effort that would be required. I would probably want to spend my time working on implementing more worthwhile things like player shops!

Kimil
Jan 26, 2006, 05:44 PM
Player Shops? HMMM... nah, I don't like the idea,...

OdinTyler
Jan 26, 2006, 05:57 PM
Well, get used to it. Theyre in the game. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

SirAri
Jan 26, 2006, 06:15 PM
On 2006-01-26 11:58, SirAri wrote:

On 2006-01-26 11:38, DeathMachine wrote:

Thats not how its done at all.

I'm fairly sure the characters we design ourselves will not show emotion.

I could be wrong.

But the cut in chat pictures look like art that has nothing to do with the digital relm, so the thing your talking about foing with mapping point on the face just doesnt seem like what they're doing.

I was refering to the 3-D character.