PDA

View Full Version : New Famitsu.com Article - More Extra Mode Info

Ryna
Jan 29, 2006, 10:42 AM
I came across this article this morning:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/2006/01/25/104,1138162334,47892,0,0.html

It seems to only deal with Extra Mode. After running it through the Google Translator (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.famitsu.com%2Fgame%2F coming%2F2006%2F01%2F25%2F104%2C1138162334%2C47892 %2C0%2C0.html&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools), the only new I got out of it that there seems to be a note about not allowing you to use your Extra Mode character online. EspioKaos, could you confirm that Google translation?

NOTE: The formatting on the famitsu.com hyperlink is messing up. You may have to copy and paste that address

Tystys
Jan 29, 2006, 10:58 AM
Whoa, how will that work?
Hope you get the translation soon, O_O

Scejntjynahl
Jan 29, 2006, 10:59 AM
On 2006-01-29 07:42, Ryna wrote:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/2006/01/25/104.1138162334.47892.0.0.html

It seems to only deal with Extra Mode. After running it through the Google Translator (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.famitsu.com%2Fgame%2F coming%2F2006%2F01%2F25%2F104%2C1138162334%2C47892 %2C0%2C0.html&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools), the only new I got out of it that there seems to be a note about not allowing you to use your Extra Mode character online. EspioKaos, could you confirm that Google translation?

NOTE: The formatting on the famitsu.com hyperlink is messing up. You may have to copy and paste that address

If what you are implying is true, it will be sad news indeed. I was actually getting happy at the possibility to be able to use my online character offline.

Ryna
Jan 29, 2006, 11:24 AM
Rena-ko just let me know about a new gamefront.de article about Extra Mode:
http://www.gamefront.de/

Here is the Google Translation (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamefront.de%2F&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools).

It says that your offline character will be seperate from your online one. I was expecting this since your online character will be stored on Sega's servers.

Rain_1
Jan 29, 2006, 11:45 AM
I really like the offline characters vs online characters thing.

How could you possibly use your extra mode (thus, offline) character when all characters are handeled server-sided when online?

Playing with your extra mode character online would mean a local (client) save game that would be played online, and we all know how that ends up...

Offline and online mode having different characters is a good thing, mostly because it'll allow for more control from the server.

Just be glad it's that way and hope that they're reworking the protocol used in PSO:BB to get rid of every single exploit there is... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Dhylec
Jan 29, 2006, 12:15 PM
Well, this shouldn't come as a surprise. I see it as a way mimimize online cheating.
The extra mode (EM) accomodates those who can't get online. It gives a sense of what character creating is like. Also, like online, there is no ending in EM.
Now, with the offline game & EM, hopefully they'll enough to keep hackers occupied & away from online for a long while, if not for good. ;]

OdinTyler
Jan 29, 2006, 12:18 PM
Let's just hope so. Im still wary of the extra mode. It doesnt mean I wont try it. Im wary because of what Ive seen hackers do in the past. Lets just pray its awhile before we see them try & start nonsense up online. As for offline, I figure if Im going to be grouped with Ethan's crew, I might as well be Ethan.

Lovejuice
Jan 29, 2006, 12:18 PM
Well this was pretty much expected anyway. Thank goodness that the dreaded common sense disease has spread through the Sega offices at last!

But, at least with sparkly jangled extra mode, if it ends up impossible (or somewhat severely difficult) for us importer folk to weed our way in to the Japanese servers, we can at least waste away the time dabbling in the three-week character design process for our online (USA/EU) questers!

Oh who am I kidding.. even if it means sacrificing your mother's heart and left breast, I'm sure there are folk here who will squirm through any hole to get on to Japanese PSU.

And er, I'll probably be one of them..

PrinceBrightstar
Jan 29, 2006, 12:22 PM
It would be easily done. Since the game requires broad band, (at least i think it does) it could simply connect when you start extra mode.

OdinTyler
Jan 29, 2006, 12:31 PM
What I dont get about extra mode is that it says you group up with Ethan's partners, but, also other chars from Partner Cards. Thats from ppl online. If its an alternative offline mode, how would you play with ppl from online, OFFLINE?

Lovejuice
Jan 29, 2006, 12:38 PM
On 2006-01-29 09:31, OdinTyler wrote:
What I dont get about extra mode is that it says you group up with Ethan's partners, but, also other chars from Partner Cards. Thats from ppl online. If its an alternative offline mode, how would you play with ppl from online, OFFLINE?
In offline, it would appear that you receive Partner Cards from other offline characters (we've seen Ethan gaining Hyuga's in screenshots if I remember, and Lou's was shown in the latest official update). Extra mode just works with partner cards gained from offline characters - and has nothing to do with online ones, from what I can gather.

It'll be certainly interesting to see how Partner Cards are explained in offline mode, seeing as how practically everything else has some degree of 'reasoning' within Phantasy Star Universe's, er, universe - like the Shield System and the item holding abilities. Perhaps they exist as some kind of required 'Guardian ID' or Graal 'Passport'?

PhruitBaskit
Jan 29, 2006, 12:46 PM
On 2006-01-29 08:24, Ryna wrote:
Rena-ko just let me know about a new gamefront.de article about Extra Mode:
http://www.gamefront.de/
Here is a Babel Fish translation of the Gamefront article...

Sega communicates that it will give extra in the RPG Phantasy star of university verses ' a mode '. It is beside the ' story mode ' and ' network mode ' the third play variant.

The ' extras mode ' opens, if one progressed in the ' story mode ' far: One provides an individual character and fights completely freely by those to already well-known scenarios to ' story of the mode '.

With this new character one can play however not on-line, but only off-lines. If one uses ' partners a Card ', one meets friends from the ' story mode ', who help in the fight. Release: 30.03.06 (Japan)

EspioKaos
Jan 29, 2006, 12:49 PM
On 2006-01-29 07:42, Ryna wrote:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/2006/01/25/104,1138162334,47892,0,0.html

Indeed, it says that your offline extra mode character will not be playable in network mode.

PhruitBaskit
Jan 29, 2006, 12:55 PM
And here is a Babel Fish translation of the Famitsu article...

Existence of extra mode is ascertained!

Becoming イーサン of one member of guard organization "ガーディアンズ" between the planet, it confronts to the crisis of the world, "story mode". And, キャラ which become your own offshoot is made, the companion ventures RPG which recorded "network mode" is ' ファンタシースターユニバース '. Other than these two modes, furthermore existence of "extra mode" is ascertained! When story mode is advanced is, as for extra mode appearance. With this mode you making your own sufficient キャラ, キ ャ ラ of story mode and you can go out to the free mission. Not only the human like イーサン, also キャラ of the other race is compilation possible. However, this mode as for using キャラ which raises with network mode being not to be possible, you note.

- In the same way as network mode, キャラメイク is possible your own offshoot. Of course, you can use also マイルーム.

- As for the companion who encounters with story mode, if the partner card is used, it is possible to call.

- There is no concept of the ending, but as for the battle part the same as story mode. You will raise your own キャラ freely.

EDIT: This one is real shitty...Nothing like Espio's http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PhruitBaskit on 2006-01-29 09:57 ]</font>

Parn
Jan 29, 2006, 01:06 PM
My favorite part of Japanese articles are English words put into Japanese writing, such as Phantasy Star Universe coming out as "huantashisutayunibasu". I also like "kiyarameiku" which is roughly "character make" or character creation. Teehee.

SirAri
Jan 29, 2006, 02:11 PM

It would be like having their character come with you, but its controlled by a cpu.

Like having your friends there, but instead of being there, they are just robots.

Tystys
Jan 29, 2006, 03:21 PM
On 2006-01-29 11:11, SirAri wrote:

It would be like having their character come with you, but its controlled by a cpu.

Like having your friends there, but instead of being there, they are just robots.

I don't think they'd be able to pull that off. That seems way too farfetched for me.

Kano-Okami
Jan 29, 2006, 04:01 PM

Hmm, I've thought about that aswell..
and from what we have seen of Partner Cards, you can get them offline aswell, from the NPCs.
Maybe, during Ethan's adventure, he'd get Partner Cards from other NPCs who wouldn't normally be in his party. That way, when you play Extra mode, you can fight along characters who would never normally
get into the fray, who would bring a different flavor to the mix.
.. It would give some interesting replay value, thats for sure..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kano-Okami on 2006-01-29 13:04 ]</font>

Russ2576
Jan 29, 2006, 04:07 PM
On 2006-01-29 12:21, Tystys wrote:

On 2006-01-29 11:11, SirAri wrote:

I don't think they'd be able to pull that off. That seems way too farfetched for me.

Indeed. You guys are reading this too literally. It's just PC's from NPCs you meet while playing as Ethan, or possibly meeting with your Extra character.

Tystys
Jan 29, 2006, 04:08 PM
Watch them add new characters to the story for Extra Mode, lol

Russ2576
Jan 29, 2006, 04:10 PM
That's probably exactly what they've done.

Tystys
Jan 29, 2006, 04:19 PM
I calls em hows I sees ems....lol

Scejntjynahl
Jan 29, 2006, 05:34 PM
Well... I guess no need to go online then.

Tystys
Jan 29, 2006, 05:48 PM
I'm going online anyways, heh

Dre_o
Jan 29, 2006, 06:00 PM
On 2006-01-29 14:34, Scejntjynahl wrote:

Uh?????? Since when was this established? Extra mode is going to be nothing like online mode. Extra mode is only your character and storyline characters fighting. Where as online, you can get forged weapons and what not that you couldn't get alone.

I'm getting the game pretty much for the sole purpose of online ass-kickyness.

Oh well, opinions will always exist.

Tystys
Jan 29, 2006, 06:02 PM
Online FTW

DizzyDi
Jan 29, 2006, 07:05 PM

Yeah, screw online and being able to interact with players all around the US, and possibly the world. Screw its downloadable quests. Screw being able to find rare items and trade them with players. Who needs all that when you have extra mode with stiff AI controlled team mates, instead of living, breathing, variety of dynamic people to interact and make friends with. Psssssh, ST just shot themselves in the foot when they made extra mode. Now NO ONE is gunna go online, GOOD JOB GUYS! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

YaLyn
Jan 29, 2006, 07:54 PM

Why?.....I mean in online you prove what you done to get in whatever level or what rare item you just got.

DeathMachine
Jan 30, 2006, 12:07 AM
Not the smoothest of comments... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Extra mode could be used as a test area for your secondary characters, to see if you like the way they handle.

Scejntjynahl
Jan 30, 2006, 02:12 AM
Fine Ill explain a little bit more.

I dont particularly like the idea that I have to do everything twice.

Sure Ill make a character online that I will become endeared with. but guess what... if I want that character for offline goodliness Ill have to remake that character. And... start... all over again.

Do you all remember the joy it was to find an item by piping for it, but then been able to use it online? Or vice versa? Thats gone. Hence my previous statement.

No need to go online.

DeathMachine
Jan 30, 2006, 02:36 AM
And again...not put smoothly. Who needs pipe tricks to essentially cheat? Just hope your Uber-rare item shows up normally. And, you should have friends who would trade you for it, should they get one...

Scejntjynahl
Jan 30, 2006, 02:43 AM
On 2006-01-29 23:36, DeathMachine wrote:
And again...not put smoothly. Who needs pipe tricks to essentially cheat? Just hope your Uber-rare item shows up normally. And, you should have friends who would trade you for it, should they get one...

Your missing the point. And besides piping inst cheating just for the plain fact that a cheat device is not required for it to happen.

The point is why double your efforts to have the same "ubber" rare online as well as offline. That is the simple point which you so blindly chose to miss. Since it seems that there will be no allowable interaction with offline mode with online mode transfering said found "ubber" rare is not an option. So what if you have friends online that will assist you to find the "ubber" rare... you still can't take it with you offline. You would need to find it anyways.

So if you like to do the leg work, go ahead, that is your pregorative. And besides . . . this is my personal opinion.

therealAERO
Jan 30, 2006, 05:13 AM
On 2006-01-29 09:18, Lovejuice wrote:
Well this was pretty much expected anyway. Thank goodness that the dreaded common sense disease has spread through the Sega offices at last!

But, at least with sparkly jangled extra mode, if it ends up impossible (or somewhat severely difficult) for us importer folk to weed our way in to the Japanese servers, we can at least waste away the time dabbling in the three-week character design process for our online (USA/EU) questers!

Oh who am I kidding.. even if it means sacrificing your mother's heart and left breast, I'm sure there are folk here who will squirm through any hole to get on to Japanese PSU.

And er, I'll probably be one of them..

This will be my second Phantasy star that I get online with. I am going to do everything in my power to play online. Good thing I won't be alone though. We all need to make american teams so we can have people to play with. Unless you can read japanese, than you can play with japanese as well.(if there weren't so many people who get so offended by Americans assuming most people can't read japanese I wouldn't of had to waste my time writing that sentence and this one.)

Only 2 more months of torture. Atleast 10 days before the 30th I can play some metroid prime hunter online. WHOOOO!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: therealAERO on 2006-01-30 02:14 ]</font>

Parn
Jan 30, 2006, 06:36 AM
On 2006-01-29 23:43, Scejntjynahl wrote:
Your missing the point.
Perhaps the same could be said for you. It sounds like you play the game for the items... well, more power to you, I guess. For someone like me, it's the journey and not the destination that matters. I wouldn't dream of skipping out on the opportunity to play with friends and perhaps make new ones, all over items that aren't even tangible.

*shrug*

Scejntjynahl
Jan 30, 2006, 12:18 PM
On 2006-01-30 03:36, Parn wrote:

On 2006-01-29 23:43, Scejntjynahl wrote:
Your missing the point.
Perhaps the same could be said for you. It sounds like you play the game for the items... well, more power to you, I guess. For someone like me, it's the journey and not the destination that matters. I wouldn't dream of skipping out on the opportunity to play with friends and perhaps make new ones, all over items that aren't even tangible.

*shrug*

Im missing the point because I dont share the values of other people? ooook. Sure if you go online for the commnunity, good for you. But not everyone does the same thing for the same reasons.

And people do like to find items for bragging rights, I am not the only one that likes to find rares you know. There is also the leveling issue. Reminds me of eps3... Online Im level 34 while offline Im only level 12. At least they share their findings. Where as PSU apparently that wont be the case. Why is this so hard to understand?

MinscTFA
Jan 30, 2006, 01:10 PM
If someone want's to play offline only then they can go ahead. Although in my view, there's only so much offline one can stand. It was the people online that kept me playing PSO for so long.

Kano-Okami
Jan 30, 2006, 01:13 PM
I understand.
It can be frustrating under those kind of conditions.
..like when I beta tested Blue Burst, I had to started all over again. All the items and weapons I had were gone(well they never were really there) and I had to go through the same steps I already took on my gamecube and my dreamcast before it.

So I do relate on it.. although I'm viewing it as a reason not to play with the offline, rather visa versa. I enjoyed the company (and ignorance) of the other players online who made the PSO experience truly great.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kano-Okami on 2006-01-30 10:16 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Jan 30, 2006, 02:44 PM
I never really expected anything like Extra mode to begin with - so I'll play PSU as I have always intended to play it. 40-hour offline standard RPG w/ online mode being where I go to play MY character.

And besides piping inst cheating just for the plain fact that a cheat device is not required for it to happen.

You didn't need a cheat device to dupe items either. Doesn't mean that's legit. Piping is legit because Sonic Team endourses it. That's how I see it.

BTW: I'm also with Parn on this one. I've never been one to play PSO with the intention of finding rares. My interest lies in the gameplay and sharing the experience with other people online.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-01-30 11:46 ]</font>

DarK-SuN
Jan 30, 2006, 03:21 PM
On 2006-01-30 11:44, Sinue_v2 wrote:
I'm also with Parn on this one. I've never been one to play PSO with the intention of finding rares. My interest lies in the gameplay and sharing the experience with other people online.

Amen, with you both on this one.

I see the Extra Mode as a nice testing ground for specific character builds (and also a good place for PSU Guide material, since we won't have to waste an online character slot to test something) and have some random fun.
Something to really play will be Offline Story Mode and Online Mode.

Parn
Jan 30, 2006, 09:28 PM
On 2006-01-30 09:18, Scejntjynahl wrote:
But not everyone does the same thing for the same reasons.
Precisely why your shoving "your missing the point" was silly, and why I shoved it right back at you. Hence why I said "perhaps the same could be said for you." Good to see you're catching on!

YaLyn
Jan 30, 2006, 09:50 PM
..........ok are you saying that the offline is Do's and Don'ts.I Don't no

GaijinPUnch
Jan 31, 2006, 12:45 AM
Here's what I make out of it:

Phantasy Star Universe, an RPG which can be played in Story Mode, As Ethan, a member of Guardians who protect the planets. Or in Network Mode, where you adventure with other players. In addition to these two modes, we've now learned of the Extended Mode.

After reaching a certain point in Story Mode, you can make a character for yourself, and go out on free missions with other characters from story mode. You can make a character of any race, not just a Human, like Ethan. But, be wearned you cannot take characters from this mode into Network Mode!

Captions under the pics:
-Just like in network mode, you make your character to your liking. Of course, it comes wtih a room.

-By using Partner Cards of characters you meet in story mode, you can call them to journey with you.

-There is no ending, but battle mode is just like that found in Story Mode.

For more details check the 02.10 Issue (on sale 01.27) issue of Famitsu.

Scejntjynahl
Jan 31, 2006, 02:14 AM
On 2006-01-30 18:28, Parn wrote:

On 2006-01-30 09:18, Scejntjynahl wrote:
But not everyone does the same thing for the same reasons.
Precisely why your shoving "your missing the point" was silly, and why I shoved it right back at you. Hence why I said "perhaps the same could be said for you." Good to see you're catching on!

Are you trying to flamebait me? I was not the first to use "missing the point" I merely phrases it again as a means of continuity from the previous poster. If you like to engage me in witty retort you are welcome to do so. But please use PM.

Back on topic:

Look I have nothing against the online community, it is a major point of PSO when it first came out. All I was trying to say that unfortunately it appears we will have to do double the work to enjoy certain items on offline and online characters. I was merely trying to demonstrate my displeasure with the lack of ability to interchange said items from your offline persona with your online one. I never even touched the issue of the community nor the ability to talk with friends and create fond memories in group activities. That is something I will also intend to do, afterall, it is an online game. So much for voicing a discouraging point to a supposedly open minded forum. Thank you.

Russ2576
Jan 31, 2006, 02:35 AM
On 2006-01-29 23:12, Scejntjynahl wrote:

Do you all remember the joy it was to find an item by piping for it, but then been able to use it online?

There won't be anything stopping you from doing that online.

F-o-x
Jan 31, 2006, 03:18 AM
Acctually... You couldn't pipe for rare enemies online in PSO. PSU will more than likely be the same way.

Scejntjynahl, I can see what you mean but I'm with the majority of everyone else. My thing is, if having online and offline will be totally separate, thusly cutting cheating down a great deal, then I'm all for it. As I'm sure you know cheats and hacks ruined previous installments of PSO, and quite frankly I got fed up with it. I see server-side saving and keeping extra-mode characters (and their items) strictly offline as a very good thing.

Scejntjynahl
Jan 31, 2006, 04:44 AM
On 2006-01-31 00:18, F-o-x wrote:
Acctually... You couldn't pipe for rare enemies online in PSO. PSU will more than likely be the same way.

Scejntjynahl, I can see what you mean but I'm with the majority of everyone else. My thing is, if having online and offline will be totally separate, thusly cutting cheating down a great deal, then I'm all for it. As I'm sure you know cheats and hacks ruined previous installments of PSO, and quite frankly I got fed up with it. I see server-side saving and keeping extra-mode characters (and their items) strictly offline as a very good thing.

Granted you are correct, I was just a bit cynical. I agree getting rid of hackers is a must, and server saving is the best way to go. I was just merely wanting "my cake and eat it too".

And thank you for the corteous response.

Parn
Jan 31, 2006, 06:17 AM
On 2006-01-30 23:14, Scejntjynahl wrote:
I was not the first to use "missing the point" I merely phrases it again as a means of continuity from the previous poster.
Actually, you were the first. Read over the thread again.

DarK-SuN
Jan 31, 2006, 07:34 AM
Come on, guys... let's not drag this any further.
He made his point (and we made ours, everyone has their own opinion) and even just said that he understands why it was done; let it rest now, it's better for all of us and for the forum.

Russ2576
Jan 31, 2006, 06:35 PM

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that. Been about a year or so since I last played online.

OdinTyler
Jan 31, 2006, 06:57 PM
On 2006-01-31 15:35, Russ2576 wrote:

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that. Been about a year or so since I last played online.

Yep. That will most likely occur again. However, its been stated that depending on the time of day you enter a dungeon, the layout will be randomized. I think I heard something about certain monsters being in certain locations that would also change. Maybe this will affect droprate? Maybe rare monsters may occur at certain times. They havent gone into that. I just know finding rares will be different this time around. Im interested in how random these dungeons really are.

Ancient
Jan 31, 2006, 08:53 PM
I'm less interested in how random they are, and more interested in how MANY there are. Much as I love PSO, having only about 6.5 areas (in PSOX) to stomp through gets old after the first 1600 hours or so.
And no matter how random the map, it would still boil down to the same old 6 boss fights. This time I'm hoping for at least 12 unique maps and bosses to keep me happy.

OdinTyler
Jan 31, 2006, 09:00 PM
Well, supposedly this is what PSU promises:

1. 15 or more randomized layout dungeons (this may not include the regular field maps to explore).

2. 20 or more bosses (not sure if this includes mid-bosses, but, it might not).

3. From what I read, its clearly a bigger game than Episodes I&II combined, both in depth & number of areas.

I think we'll be ok for awhile. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Ancient
Jan 31, 2006, 10:23 PM
me=happy

Chaos_Knight
Feb 1, 2006, 12:44 AM
With extra mode being offline is there a chance it may have multiplayer funtionality?

OdinTyler
Feb 1, 2006, 01:06 AM
No, its already been said no offline multiplayer. Youll have a team of ppl that will join you. The offline NPCs that accompany Ethan would join you upon receiving their Partner Cards.