PDA

View Full Version : tech's

littleman2347
Jan 30, 2006, 07:23 AM
Ya i was looking at the tech's there isnt grants or megid i hope there still in the game megid is my fav tech. Does anyone know anything about the tech's section that isnt there on the page.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: littleman2347 on 2006-01-30 04:24 ]</font>

Dre_o
Jan 30, 2006, 08:10 AM
What you see is what we know. Nothing confirmed more.

Ryna
Jan 30, 2006, 09:02 AM
I updated the guide this weekend with everything that has been confirmed. I try to avoid speculating in those guides since some people will take the speculation as being a fact.

In the case of light/dark techniques, they will probably be in the game. In the Photon Energy guide, we see there will be elemental resistances for light and dark. That would seem to imply that spells that fall under those categories will be in the game. However, that is all just speculation.

DeathMachine
Jan 30, 2006, 09:34 AM
I wait patiently for the return of Grants, and hopefully, even more light techniques! Now, my Heavenly Wrath shall rain down onto my foes, bringing death and destruction from the Heavens above...

OdinTyler
Jan 30, 2006, 12:07 PM
As I await the return of Megid. It seems some ppl I know have earned the purple ball of Death that I FULLY intend to send their way in Battle Mode (should it exist). http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I can almost guarantee the regular spells (especially those of the 3 lvl variety) will undoubtedly return. Id just like to see new techs added. Since earth & wind have been mentioned, it would seem we'll get returns of techs from the Genesis games. Man, I cant wait. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Sinue_v2
Jan 30, 2006, 02:37 PM
The purple deadly fart ball was pitiful IMO...

I want a return of the Classic Megid. Grantz, I suppose, can stay with it's PSO form. It was really a rather obscure tech to begin with - only being used once durring a cutscene. It was originally a protection/teleportation tech... of which there is really no use.

Mewn
Jan 30, 2006, 02:44 PM
On 2006-01-30 11:37, Sinue_v2 wrote:
The purple deadly fart ball was pitiful IMO...

I want a return of the Classic Megid.
I agree, although maybe it would be cool if both forms of Megid were put into the game. Diversity would be nice.

I suppose the simplicity of the tech system on PSO was part of its charm, but I would like to see quite a few techs for each element. It'd give a bit more diversity and also make you think a bit more about which techs to use, I suppose.

OdinTyler
Jan 30, 2006, 04:07 PM
Well yes, Id rather have Megid be a more destructive force as it once was, even if it has to be given its old name of Megido. As for Grantz, I still dont get how it went from a bubble shield/teleportation orb to 'arrows of light'. Leave that to inconsistency. Me personally, Id love to see some of PSII's techs return. The ones that werent seen since then, that is. Given all the variety in the game, they could easily be implemented.

littleman2347
Jan 30, 2006, 04:51 PM
does anyone have a pic or the classic megid i have no f***** clue what ur talkin about.

Kimil
Jan 30, 2006, 06:09 PM
On 2006-01-30 13:51, littleman2347 wrote:
does anyone have a pic or the classic megid i have no f***** clue what ur talkin about.

I don't have a pic, but If there talking about Megido from PS4, then it was basically this huge explosion spell that Chaz got on the fourth planet, It was kinda like Rafoie just with multiple, bigger explosions.

I pwned the final boss with it

OdinTyler
Jan 30, 2006, 08:07 PM
Actually, it was called Megido in PSIII & Megid in PSIV. But yes, huge explosion that was basically supposed to be the most powerful attack in the game.

Kimil
Jan 30, 2006, 10:05 PM
On 2006-01-30 17:07, OdinTyler wrote:
Actually, it was called Megido in PSIII & Megid in PSIV. But yes, huge explosion that was basically supposed to be the most powerful attack in the game.

no it wasn't O.o
it was Megido in PS4

OdinTyler
Jan 30, 2006, 10:07 PM
Id have to check. I remember it being Megid there.

littleman2347
Jan 30, 2006, 10:16 PM
ps4 is that bb im not new just a little slow.

OdinTyler
Jan 30, 2006, 10:21 PM
Heres all the regular games in the series:

Phantasy Star - Sega Master System
Phantasy Star II - IV - Sega Genesis
Phantasy Star Online - Ver1&2 - Sega Dreamcast
Phantasy Star Online - EpisodeI&II - Gamecube & Xbox
& so on & so forth.

The Genesis games were far different. More like standard RPGs. Some of the techs varied from what we know in both name & some just flat out were there & arent here & vice versa.

As a sidenote, PSIV was the easiest game in the series. Its also the closest in graphic style to PSU in that the Cut-In chat resembles the avatars & discussion boxes as shown in PSIV.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jan 30, 2006, 10:29 PM
On 2006-01-30 19:16, littleman2347 wrote:
ps4 is that bb im not new just a little slow.

lol, no...Don't worry, though, this is a common misconception...

The Phantasy Star series did not begin with PSO. In fact, some (including myself) view the older series as superior to the PSO series in some ways (such as having an actual interesting story).

Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millenium was the final installment of the older PS games.

Concerning techs, I would love to see a return to the older system and spelling of techs. For example, instead of Foie/Gifoie/Rafoie, I would like Foi/Gifoi/Nafoi, just since that would establish a firmer connection with the older series. I'd also like to see the return of things such as Zan, Gra, Tsu (where the hell did they come up with "zonde"?), etc.

OdinTyler
Jan 30, 2006, 10:32 PM
OMG FUZZ! THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! Finally, someone agrees that we need to see some more of PSII's techs. The Gra, Tsu, & other series need to return. Remember those? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jan 30, 2006, 10:35 PM
On 2006-01-30 19:32, OdinTyler wrote:
OMG FUZZ! THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! Finally, someone agrees that we need to see some more of PSII's techs. The Gra, Tsu, & other series need to return. Remember those? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Yup, Odin, PSII is my favorite of the original series, and I would love to see some of the more specialized techs make a return in PSU.

Here is a helpful list of all of PSII's techs for those who never played the game:
http://maxlow.net/phantasystar/psii/psiispells.html

OdinTyler
Jan 30, 2006, 10:41 PM
I can see the Zan series returning as its a wind spell. However, earth was also mentioned & there hasnt been an earth series as of yet. That would be new & I cant wait. However, if you remember, the Tsu series was the laser aka light spell. Why the hell did they make Grantz a light spell? I just hope the team was thinking like us in that the old spells NEED to come back.

Inazuma
Jan 30, 2006, 10:56 PM
so we are gonna have even more techs than in pso, yet only 4 buttons to assign them to? psobb has 10 hotkeys which are very handy but even that isnt enough.

hopefully psu has another row of 10 hotkeys if you hold down the ctrl button or something.

Ryna
Jan 30, 2006, 10:59 PM
On 2006-01-30 19:56, Inazuma wrote:
so we are gonna have even more techs than in pso, yet only 4 buttons to assign them to? psobb has 10 hotkeys which are very handy but even that isnt enough.

hopefully psu has another row of 10 hotkeys if you hold down the ctrl button or something.

The way the system is setup, you will assign techniques to your Force weapons. You will then use techniques like regular attacks (except they will consume PP). So, I don't think you will have to worry about hotkeys.

OdinTyler
Jan 30, 2006, 11:17 PM
Also, if you favor certain techs, then its less fumbling through menus that you have to worry about. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

EspioKaos
Jan 30, 2006, 11:44 PM
On 2006-01-30 06:02, Ryna wrote:
I updated the guide this weekend with everything that has been confirmed. I try to avoid speculating in those guides since some people will take the speculation as being a fact.
I don't know if you want to add it yet or not, but there's also the new tech gideega which can be seen in one of the videos. (I think it's in the "Battle of..." video.) Considering the color of its icon, I assume it's an earth-type tech, but I haven't seen anything to confirm that just yet. The visualization for gideega is a circle of earth around the one who cast it breaking apart and flames shooting upward from the cracks around the caster.

Also, I've been putting together a little guide identifying tech visuals from screenshots we've got based on magazine articles and the like. If you'd like me to send it to you, I'd be more than happy. You know, what with me being a little obsessed with the new techs and all. XD

Ryna
Jan 30, 2006, 11:52 PM
On 2006-01-30 20:44, EspioKaos wrote:
Also, I've been putting together a little guide identifying tech visuals from screenshots we've got based on magazine articles and the like. If you'd like me to send it to you, I'd be more than happy. You know, what with me being a little obsessed with the new techs and all. XD

Sure, that would be a useful addition to the tech guide. Just PM it to me when you are ready.

OdinTyler
Jan 31, 2006, 12:07 AM
The earth tech you describe sounds really cool. Id love to see some pics/vids of that. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Russ2576
Jan 31, 2006, 12:22 AM
On 2006-01-30 19:59, Ryna wrote:

On 2006-01-30 19:56, Inazuma wrote:

The way the system is setup, you will assign techniques to your Force weapons. You will then use techniques like regular attacks (except they will consume PP). So, I don't think you will have to worry about hotkeys.

I can't help but wonder how Resta and Anti are going to function. Seems odd to have to assign a healing tech to a weapon to use it. And cumbersome, especially during a fight, to stop and switch an attack tech out for a Resta to heal the party, or an Anti to nuke somebody's poison, because I seriously doubt any given player will keep Resta or Anti permantly equipped on a weapon.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Russ2576 on 2006-01-30 21:27 ]</font>

Inazuma
Jan 31, 2006, 01:19 AM
but i wanna use every tech, like we can in pso now.

unless if we switch weps, the techs it has assigned also change. that would work.

for example, im using a staff i cast resta and anti from. and then if i wanna cast fire techs, i switch to a different staff which has rafoie and foie set to it. that could work out alrite.

Sinue_v2
Jan 31, 2006, 04:37 AM
BTW Odin, he beat me to it - but in PSII's list of techs you can see that it was PSII where Megid made it's debut. Megido was it's name in PSIII. The name changed back to simply Megid for PSIV. (US Version only. Not sure on difference in the JP version)

http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/genesis/ps4/images/Techniquepics/megid.gif
Megid in PSIV (Of course... the graphics for a current gen version of it would have to be ramped up quite a lot. Similar almost to a short FF-like summon to show it in all it's true uberness)

http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/genesis/ps2/images/techniquepics/megid.gif
Megid in PSII (Don't laugh.. it was awesome for it's time)

http://www.algol-star-system.net/data-memory/endings/ps3-sean-07.gif
Megido in PSIII (Sean's ending). A bit flashier and more destructive looking than the others - but it's a storyline tech (like Grantz).. and not excecutable in combat normal.

http://www.algol-star-system.net/data-memory/endings/ps3-sean-11.gif
Grantz picture from PSIII for reference.

Image credits go to Algol Solar System and RPGClassics Shrines.

OdinTyler
Jan 31, 2006, 06:46 AM
HA! I knew I was right. PSIII had Megido, unlike the others who had Megid. I cant believe we're actually agreeing on something! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif Those pics bring back memories. You think you could PM me those sites? Id like to get some cool pics of the old games & if possible, do you have any pics with Aron? Im especially looking for Aron's ending where hes saying the immortally corny line: This evil city is too evil to leave standing.

Sinue_v2
Jan 31, 2006, 07:06 AM
You mean this one?

http://www.algol-star-system.net/data-memory/endings/ps3-aron-06.gif

The site is www.algol-star-system.net. While you're there, you should check out some of the PSIII comic art drawn up by Toyonaka Ozaki. It features all of the PSIII 3rd gen lead males from different universes stuck in another alternate universe after simutaniously casting Megido. I've been loath to post it here since it's a bit ecchi. There's one hilarious scene in particular where Sean is talking about how Mieu was his surrogate mother and all the others (Adan, Crys, & Aron) start freaking out "OMG I didn't know she had that function.... I wanna go back, I wanna go back, I wanna go back.. ect."

Oops... getting off-topic. So uh.. how's about that Foi?

OdinTyler
Jan 31, 2006, 09:18 AM
Youre a weird kid, Sinue, you really are. Thanks for the pic. Ill be sure to check the site out.

Woah, I just noticed something. Aron's dialogue box is different from what Ive seen others say. I remember it reading:

"This evil city is too evil to leave standing."

I remember it cause I laughed at the comical redundancy of it. Classic corny line.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OdinTyler on 2006-01-31 06:20 ]</font>

zandra117
Jan 31, 2006, 10:39 AM
I think sonicteam got mixed up with the techniques when they made pso. I remember Ryuker on the genesis killed enemies while Grantz was the teleport technique. In pso they reversed it.

OdinTyler
Jan 31, 2006, 11:02 AM
I just read something where Tsu (from PSII) was possibly known as Grantz in Japan. It makes sense as theyre both spells of light. However, why not use the original name? The laser beam effect of Tsu was awesome. Grantz shouldve stayed Grantz with a Z not an S & stayed as a teleport spell of some sort. It couldve been a story-driven tech as it once was, Idk. I just know the old techs NEED to return. Oh & I checked up on all 4 ending pics for PSIII. I clearly remembered it saying:

"This evil city is too evil to leave standing."

But apparently, none of the endings show that. Idk why I remember it differently. That just takes all the humor out of it for me. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Zindura
Feb 1, 2006, 05:37 PM
I think the PSO system of spell tiers was pretty boring. I'd be cool to see some new elements, way more support and debuff spells, and Grantz and Megid get their own series of functional damage spells.

So far, it seems they have fire, lightning, ice, light, dark, wind, and earth covered. I recall someone mentioning that water was going to be in there too...

That elemental slew seems pretty comparable to the standard Final Fantasy-esque convention, only instead of dealing more damage, the spells actually have different dynamics. I'm all for it.

EspioKaos
Feb 1, 2006, 05:56 PM
Just out of curiosity, where did so many people get the idea that wind techs would be included in the elemental line-up? I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool, but did I just miss something somewhere along the line?

Heh, I really wish that SonicTeam would do a tech update to the official site soon. I want to know more about the new ones that have been added to the game and see how more of the old ones have been changed.

OdinTyler
Feb 1, 2006, 06:42 PM
Wind & water have been mentioned before. I havent heard water mentioned in a long time so I think they decided not to include it or it was a rumor. Far as I know, wind was 1 of the official types mentioned. Isnt it? If not, it should be! I have plans for wind techs, dammit!

KhaosKidd
Feb 2, 2006, 09:29 PM
sry if this hav already been said...
i seen a pic of ethan doing a tech that looked like a ice storm & i thought of wind techs. And i saw a pic of him hittin' tha ground which suggested an earth tech (i seen these pics on the techniques list on this site). http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
i want 2 know bout water techs cuz i dont remember anythang bout water and i want 2 kno cuz i plan on having my main char. mainly use water and ice, i will use the others, but mainly ice and water.
i waitim' 4 the return of grantz and megid (i liked the pics of megido) cuz grantz wuz my favorite til ppl used it too much on me. And i want 2 see protection techs like a big bubble that surrounded a certain amount of space. And i would like sums techs that combined into 1 tech (Tales of Symponia style). http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Parn
Feb 2, 2006, 09:47 PM
On 2006-01-31 07:39, zandra117 wrote:
I think sonicteam got mixed up with the techniques when they made pso. I remember Ryuker on the genesis killed enemies while Grantz was the teleport technique. In pso they reversed it.
Nope. Ryuka was a teleport spell in Phantasy Star IV. The idea behind Grants and Megid are that they're light and dark based techniques... in Phantasy Star III, they were handled in the sense that the dark technique would destroy lives while the light technique would save lives instead.

You can blame Sega of America for the lack of consistency between the Phantasy Star games, not Sonic Team. As an example, Chaz's light attack technique in Phantasy Star IV is Grants. Sega of America changed it to Tsu for the localization, which is funny, since Tsu was a water technique in Phantasy Star III, and it's a lightning technique in Phantasy Star II.

Phantasy Star Online's English tech names are quite accurate. Phantasy Star as a whole is inconsistent to begin with.

OdinTyler
Feb 2, 2006, 10:06 PM
Actually, Tsu was a laser of light tech in PSII. I do agree that theres much inconsistency in translations. But then, this is Sega we're talking about. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

littleman2347
Feb 7, 2006, 07:19 AM
I was serching the tech section and i found somthing resembling megid and grants

Saffran
Feb 7, 2006, 08:16 AM
I just read something where Tsu (from PSII) was possibly known as Grantz in Japan. It makes sense as theyre both spells of light. However, why not use the original name? The laser beam effect of Tsu was awesome.

Indeed.
As for the reason: 4 katanaka = plenty of letters but in the space of 4. The "tsu" spell was called "guranatsu" in the jp version if memory serves right.
The PS2 textbox only had 5 spaces so they needed to shorten it. With the "Gi" and "Na" for higher levels, they needed something short...

Also: "Zan" is a good candidate for wind element...

OdinTyler
Feb 7, 2006, 10:02 AM
Yep, Im pretty sure if wind is in the game, ol' Zan will return. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I wonder what the earth series would be.

F-o-x
Feb 7, 2006, 10:21 AM
On 2006-01-31 07:39, zandra117 wrote:

As Parn already said Ryuker was indeed a teleportation technique, but there is some truth in what zandra said. In the old games Ryuker was the teleportation spell that took you to any town you'd previously visited. Hinas was the spell that would bring you out of dungeons. I've always thought that it was kind of strange that the tech used (and also that telepipes were used to bring you out of dungeons/areas, rather than escapipes) was Ryuker in PSO, as Hinas would be more fitting.

Saffran
Feb 7, 2006, 12:21 PM
hinas -> "hinaus" german for "out of here"
ryuker -> "Rückkehr" german for "the return"

Edit:
Sorry, I misunderstood the statement above. But keep in mind that since there is no regular map anymore (only one town in the whole game) Ryuker was the more logical choice IMO.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saffran on 2006-02-07 09:24 ]</font>

EspioKaos
Feb 7, 2006, 06:32 PM
On 2006-02-07 07:02, OdinTyler wrote:
I wonder what the earth series would be.
Deega. At least, that's what I can assume from the information I've been able to collect.

OdinTyler
Feb 7, 2006, 11:08 PM
Deega? As in Dig-a? So then we'd see Gidiga &...excuse the pun...Radiga (Rah Digga, the pop/whatever she is star). Figures it would be an earth-related pun.