PDA

View Full Version : Most exciting PSU feature for you?

Tystys
Jan 30, 2006, 07:26 PM
I would've added a poll, but there are so many new things!
The reason why I want this game so badly is the refined online play. After overlooking the online play for a bit, I am even more excited, and I know now more than ever that I will have a great time creating and joining parties, hehe.

EDIT:
Another thing is the lobbies and rooms. Those are completly awesome, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tystys on 2006-01-30 16:27 ]</font>

Tact
Jan 30, 2006, 07:29 PM
For me, it's the rooms, the lobbies, and the fact that so many PSOWers want to be on PSU. I can't wait to play with everyone.

EphekZ
Jan 30, 2006, 07:46 PM
On 2006-01-30 16:29, Tact wrote:
For me, it's the rooms, the lobbies, and the fact that so many PSOWers want to be on PSU. I can't wait to play with everyone.

If the servers are linked (pc and PS2) Ill be getting it, I really cant wait to play since i've never played online PSO(except fro BB which i loved)

CherryLunar
Jan 30, 2006, 07:49 PM
I second that Tact. It's going to be awesome. Unfortunately, I wont be seeing a few familiar faces from PSO, but thats okay. I'll have time to meet new people on PSU. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

OdinTyler
Jan 30, 2006, 08:00 PM
How is that, Cherry? If the servers are linked, we're all sure to run into each other sooner or later, right?

_Tek_
Jan 30, 2006, 08:01 PM
I'd say the combat system.

Tystys
Jan 30, 2006, 08:17 PM
Yeah, the tweaks to the combat system are done very well...atleast they sound awesome in paper, we should wait and see for all of this, heh

Dre_o
Jan 30, 2006, 08:20 PM
I believe we already know that the servers are linked, in fact I also believe we learned that a while ago. I'm gonna love character customization and being able to alter my weapons and abilities.

OdinTyler
Jan 30, 2006, 08:23 PM
Id say the most outstanding feature of PSU is the fact that you have more flexibility in raising your char. Some ppl in the past may have made a char class based on how he/she looked, then, was forced into the limitations of that class. Yes I know, limitations are important. Its just good to know that not only do we make a decision from the beginning for our char, but, that continues as we lvl up. Being able to specialize in a playstyle yet still be able to switch to another is going to be very interesting to watch play out.

JasonWFD
Jan 30, 2006, 08:36 PM
/agree with OdinTyler.

I'm a big fan of customization and being able to create unique characters. This is probably the closest a single feature sticks out to being the most prominent, for me. Honestly, I'd say the whole package is greater than the sum of the parts.

maysee
Jan 30, 2006, 08:50 PM
I like all the new features and I can't wait to relive all those fond memories I had in PSO until hackers took over. I guess one feature that will stand out is that I won't have to worry about waiting for 3hrs sometimes more to get a party and start killing things like in FFXI. Only question I'm still pondering with is how the exploring is done. Is it going to be more like PSO (stages) or are we going to be able to roam the whole world and if so, will we be able to see everyone that's out there? In any case, I can't wait for this to come out in the US. Too bad it's delayed and now I'm stuck in FFXI for awhile longer.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: maysee on 2006-01-30 17:52 ]</font>

DavidNel
Jan 30, 2006, 09:26 PM
I think I will like the way I can tune my character into the way I want.

The fighting system does seem really good, also. I haven't seen enough of it yet to really get into it, but I can only hope. The photon arts is what catches my eye.

Last but not lease, the SUV/Nanoblasts. 1 word, "FUN"!! Blow the crap out of enemies with a gun that is about thier own size.

Zelutos
Jan 30, 2006, 09:34 PM
On 2006-01-30 16:29, Tact wrote:

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif Agreed! Tact, we're so going hunting together http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

YaLyn
Jan 30, 2006, 09:36 PM
Owning a room is what I like about this game (*puts a fake Rappy doll on the desk*) and many choices of how you can create your own character.Yeah, mostly the battle system is what make this game good.

SpikeWT1
Jan 30, 2006, 10:02 PM
My favorite features are The room/lobby (friends and I are gonna hang out), charater custimzation, and the leveling setup. Well what's been told so far it gives you char some uniquieness.

OdinTyler
Jan 30, 2006, 10:06 PM
Zelutos & Tact, what about me? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

littleman2347
Jan 30, 2006, 10:21 PM
the lobby and room and definatly the new planet's o and the combo thank god in heaven for them. srry for spelling

kazuma56
Jan 31, 2006, 12:29 AM
I agree with Odin, the ability to finally make my Ranger/Hunter (or Rogue) will be awesome, the ability to snipe an enemy and then turn around and bring out my dual sabers/daggers will make situational fighting alot more enjoyable.

Zelutos
Jan 31, 2006, 01:15 AM
On 2006-01-30 19:06, OdinTyler wrote:
Zelutos & Tact, what about me? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

The more the merried. But remember the player limit http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Sinue_v2
Jan 31, 2006, 04:46 AM
The most exciting feature for me is actually having a strong storyline to follow in offline mode.

Scejntjynahl
Jan 31, 2006, 04:52 AM
So far custimazation of the character is the driving force behind my desire to acquire this game.

QuadTail
Jan 31, 2006, 06:19 AM
Yup, pretty much what the others said; character customization and the battle system.

Can't wait to make my cast... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Tystys
Jan 31, 2006, 08:39 AM
On 2006-01-30 22:15, Zelutos wrote:

On 2006-01-30 19:06, OdinTyler wrote:

The more the merried. But remember the player limit http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I call dibbs on fourth slot, lol.
Oh, and I think the exploring will work like PSU. You need to get a party together, and accept a mission.

OdinTyler
Jan 31, 2006, 09:17 AM
T, PSU has 6 slots for players now. Im sure youd be able to fit in without a problem.

Buriningwolf
Jan 31, 2006, 01:39 PM
The most exciting feature for me is character creation and how they tweak the combat system. I can't wait to get online.

Kupi
Jan 31, 2006, 02:42 PM
I'm going to sum up everything I love this game for (even this early on) in the phrase "character development". Both the sheer number of options for aesthetics and the new "type" system intrigue me.

MXdude
Jan 31, 2006, 03:47 PM
Am i the only one who thinks no character class is a bad thing? It just seems stupid how your character has the potential to use a lot of the better specials weapons that would normaly be class specific. One of the biggest replay value points for me anyway, went to making so many different genders,races, and calsses to be able to use the cool weapons i found. With this now gone, The other point for me would be Section ID, but we can assume that portion of the game is gone as well. Im really trying to find a good reason in psu that will keep me playing over 1000 hours like pso did, but i jsut dont see it. There are some really cool features added to teh game though, dont get me wrong. However these features ill be able to do within 24 hours of playing. O yea no mags >.> there goes many many many hours or raising mags and playing around with them. It seems the only things to look forward to is; photon art, beasts, SUV weapons, character creation, and story mode. And all but the last one i can do within the 24 hour span as i already stated. Well hopfully online is addicting http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

But to answer the question, id say character creation might be my favorite part of it so far.

EJ
Jan 31, 2006, 06:20 PM
The character customization and battle system.

I wanna see if I can make a hucast look like a Ill Gill. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

OdinTyler
Jan 31, 2006, 07:01 PM
On 2006-01-31 12:47, MXdude wrote:
Am i the only one who thinks no character class is a bad thing? It just seems stupid how your character has the potential to use a lot of the better specials weapons that would normaly be class specific. One of the biggest replay value points for me anyway, went to making so many different genders,races, and calsses to be able to use the cool weapons i found. With this now gone, The other point for me would be Section ID, but we can assume that portion of the game is gone as well. Im really trying to find a good reason in psu that will keep me playing over 1000 hours like pso did, but i jsut dont see it. There are some really cool features added to teh game though, dont get me wrong. However these features ill be able to do within 24 hours of playing. O yea no mags >.> there goes many many many hours or raising mags and playing around with them. It seems the only things to look forward to is; photon art, beasts, SUV weapons, character creation, and story mode. And all but the last one i can do within the 24 hour span as i already stated. Well hopfully online is addicting http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

But to answer the question, id say character creation might be my favorite part of it so far.

I think youre being a bit too harsh on the game. Its not even out yet, give it a chance. You dont have to make so many chars now as you have more flexibility in char creation. I mean if you want to make alot of them, thats your choice. Yeah theres no MAGs, but theres still PMs that need raising. Theyll need just as much attention if not more, considering they can do far much more in the long run. If you enjoy MAG raising, youll probably like PMs. You say PSU is a flop yet youre interested in some of the key selling points for PSU: Photon Arts, Nanoblasting & SUV. Those are some reasons alone to at least be INTERESTED in the game. I think youll love the game if you be a bit more openminded to it. Take it from someone who's played it. You WILL like it.

Eihwaz
Jan 31, 2006, 07:38 PM
The in-depth character creation, combat system, and storyline all appeal to me greatly. I can't wait to sink my teeth into this game. o_o

Zelutos
Jan 31, 2006, 07:50 PM
On 2006-01-31 16:38, Eihwaz wrote:
The in-depth character creation, combat system, and storyline all appeal to me greatly. I can't wait to sink my teeth into this game. o_o

You gonna play with Tact, Odin and I, Wazzy?

DizzyDi
Jan 31, 2006, 08:08 PM
On 2006-01-31 16:38, Eihwaz wrote:

Yeah that pretty sums it up fer me.

Atayin
Jan 31, 2006, 09:04 PM
Just about everything appeals to me.

New combat system, vehicles, larger areas, bigger parties, more character customization and (supposed) flexibility, an in-depth storyline and offline mode...

Basicly EVERYTHING I liked about PSO has been improved upon. So, if I were to pick one thing out, I'd say it has to be the new features.

LARGER TOWNS!! I'll be able to goof off even longer, between killing!! I can have my own room and invite friends in to chat, trade or hang out. That's pretty awesome, if you ask me.

If anybody's ever in town sometime, feel free to stop by my pad and say hello http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

(By Towns, I mean the lobbies)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atayin on 2006-01-31 18:05 ]</font>

Tystys
Jan 31, 2006, 09:17 PM
Wow...we actually have a pad to go to now if we're bored with the city! Sweet, lol

MXdude
Feb 1, 2006, 05:11 PM
On 2006-01-31 16:01, OdinTyler wrote:

I think youre being a bit too harsh on the game. Its not even out yet, give it a chance. You dont have to make so many chars now as you have more flexibility in char creation. I mean if you want to make alot of them, thats your choice. Yeah theres no MAGs, but theres still PMs that need raising. Theyll need just as much attention if not more, considering they can do far much more in the long run. If you enjoy MAG raising, youll probably like PMs. You say PSU is a flop yet youre interested in some of the key selling points for PSU: Photon Arts, Nanoblasting & SUV. Those are some reasons alone to at least be INTERESTED in the game. I think youll love the game if you be a bit more openminded to it. Take it from someone who's played it. You WILL like it.

I still hope i like it, but the main aspects that made me like pso are now gone. And Id like the PM aspect as well if it was for online too(or is it?) But yes i am interested in the things that might be big selling points, but i think those could make it very redundent if not done properly. I was very openminded abotu the game a couple months ago actually. Now it just seems like another Fable(we all know what happened there, no need to go into detail) And now iv read about not having sheilds? i loved mixing and matching different sheilds and frames, with different slot items. :/ But yes i shall wait until it comes out to make my final judgement

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MXdude on 2006-02-01 14:12 ]</font>

azjazo
Feb 1, 2006, 05:36 PM
I'm not a graphics groupie, but I'm just to excited for the visuals of PSU, seriously, the all new clothes, character customization, great enviroments, weapons.... SHINY SHINY!!!! I think PSU its what sega ment to PSO to be, but at that time the idea was to ahead of the tecnology, and now PSU will be THE action online game with a great backup story mode

Tystys
Feb 1, 2006, 06:09 PM
Great, talking more about it makes me want it even more...oh well, lol

OdinTyler
Feb 1, 2006, 06:40 PM
No one said shields didnt exist. Its just theres a 'shield system' where you can implement various elements to yourself, like an invisible barrier. This isnt to say there arent shields available. We just havent seen them nor received confirmation either way. I wouldnt worry. Theyve been in PS before, Im sure they will again.

vox3om
Feb 1, 2006, 07:31 PM
The most exciting thing about PSU for me is that it is going to be released on both PS2 and PC. Along with that, they will be compatible to play together.

My least favorite things about PSU, the undeclared release date and the separation of online and offline. I'm not sure that I really like the idea of having an offline story mode. I prefered the offline mode being the same as the online.

Tystys
Feb 1, 2006, 07:32 PM
Yes, this whole release date drama is REALLY pissing me off.

DizzyDi
Feb 1, 2006, 07:50 PM
MXdude how is PSU a flop when it hasn't been released yet? I'm not trying to start an arguement I'm just trying to figure out whats so dissapointing about it to you. I mean...PSU pretty much has everything PSO has, but better. Like someone said MAGs are still there, but in the form of PMs which are WAY better. Okay so classes are gone, but that gives your character more flexibility, and there will still be specialization, so not everyone will be able to use the same weapons. I don't think shields and frames are gone either, that wouldn't make much sense, the speculation right now is that weather there will be VISIBLE shields. Theres a HUGE amount of replay in this game. Now with classes gone you can make anysorta of combo you want to: Casts can be forces (probably with a lot of work), Newman's can be tanks, Humans can be damn near anything. You can't do all of that in 24 hours, or if you can, can I have some of what you're taking?

NightHour13
Feb 1, 2006, 08:08 PM
The worst thing about PSU, though I dont even mean the game at all, is the release date. Now I could be wrong and usually I am, but what could possibly be so wrong with it? When I played it on the day it came to Manhatten, it seemed perfect. The battle system rocked incredibly and everything was great. The AI system was fearful, these darn things worked in sync to take you down. Haha not like the good ol' booma's that sorta went in a circle waiting for you to free up a monster haha. Er i got off topic sorry, but the release date in FALL is murdering me, May was perfect for me cause my major finals were over and summer was near.

Other then that, this game seems absolutely wonderful. Those who played it that day know what I mean, switching from saber to pistol was just bad ass. At any rate, my most anticipated thing about this is the vehicals. Im starting a clan (those who want to check it out let me know) and the sheer amount of transportation just makes things so much more in depth. The tanks? Cmon people, tanks!! Lunga's?! Thats why my grandmother used to call snot! But they do shoot fire haha and look like my dog.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NightHour13 on 2006-02-01 17:09 ]</font>

SekotheFOmar
Feb 1, 2006, 08:55 PM
Oh thats easy, Phantasy Star Universe ^.^
Oh...be more specific um ok
1. Lobbies, there FRICKEN HUGE
2. 3 Differen't planets with more FRICKEN HUGE lobbies
3. The "My Room" feature
4. The combat system
5. The last one I promise........CLOTHES, the clothing has a much larger verity.....<.< sorry for spelling

OdinTyler
Feb 1, 2006, 10:10 PM
Hey Night, what part of Hell are you from? Id say NY is hell too. LOL

Kupi
Feb 1, 2006, 10:31 PM
On 2006-02-01 14:11, MXdude wrote:

On 2006-01-31 16:01, OdinTyler wrote:

I still hope i like it, but the main aspects that made me like pso are now gone. And Id like the PM aspect as well if it was for online too(or is it?) But yes i am interested in the things that might be big selling points, but i think those could make it very redundent if not done properly. I was very openminded abotu the game a couple months ago actually. Now it just seems like another Fable(we all know what happened there, no need to go into detail) And now iv read about not having sheilds? i loved mixing and matching different sheilds and frames, with different slot items. :/ But yes i shall wait until it comes out to make my final judgement

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MXdude on 2006-02-01 14:12 ]</font>

I seriously doubt that you aren't going to be limited in some way by the type system. If Sonic Team's done their balancing work right, then you won't be able to max out your the levels in Hunter, Ranger, and Force on one character. That means you'll still be highly limited in which abilities you can use and what weapons you can equip, but this time around you can choose for yourself which advantages you want to have and which disadvantages you'll accept. There's still a class system in place; it's just that, to an extent, you create your own class instead of choosing from a finite pool of them.

OdinTyler
Feb 1, 2006, 10:35 PM
OK I can see what youre saying. Its not exactly a class in that youre so restricted. However, there have to be restrictions as you cant max out everything in every way. That wouldnt be fair or believable. It just seems the way its set up in PSU, its not just about getting the right stats anymore. You have to think how will raising certain abilities & allowing yourself certain functions that will affect your char. It gives you more control, but, added responsibility for trying to make your char flesh out well. Should prove interesting indeed.

NightHour13
Feb 1, 2006, 10:57 PM
On 2006-02-01 19:10, OdinTyler wrote:
Hey Night, what part of Hell are you from? Id say NY is hell too. LOL

Odin I tell ya, if you want the burning pits, and I mean the dang armpit of satan himself - Brooklyn is your place. Where do I come from? The heart of brooklyn of course! Perhaps you can sympathize, I have people who are shocked to death that I say "Live" and "Brooklyn" in the same sentence.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NightHour13 on 2006-02-01 19:58 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Feb 1, 2006, 11:00 PM
I live in the city that invented a few things:

1. Attitude
2. Breakdancing
3. Rap/Hip Hop
4. Best damn pizza in the world

...& no, its not Brooklyn. Tho, Ive worked in Brooklyn & I can tell ya, its far from being a pleasant environment.

MXdude
Feb 2, 2006, 03:32 PM
Can you have PM online? If so then that will be cool, i still like mags more tho http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif Well hopfully a lot more thigns will be released tomorrow(probably not). All im saying is i hope this doesnt turn out like another Fable. >.>

OdinTyler
Feb 2, 2006, 03:48 PM
Stop referring to this as Fable. I swear, ppl get on one game or forum for a game & talk about other games. A mention here & there is ok but to consistently compare it to another game in a positive or negative light repeatedly tends to get annoying. On EQOA, all ppl talked about was that, FFXI, Fable, & WoW. There has to be a reason youre on the game or forum youre on. If not, why be there. PSU is nothing like Fable as FFXI would be comparable to WoW. All different games. Like em or not, what would be the point in categorizing a game that still isnt even out yet?

Tystys
Feb 2, 2006, 04:44 PM
On 2006-02-02 12:48, OdinTyler wrote:
Stop referring to this as Fable. I swear, ppl get on one game or forum for a game & talk about other games. A mention here & there is ok but to consistently compare it to another game in a positive or negative light repeatedly tends to get annoying. On EQOA, all ppl talked about was that, FFXI, Fable, & WoW. There has to be a reason youre on the game or forum youre on. If not, why be there. PSU is nothing like Fable as FFXI would be comparable to WoW. All different games. Like em or not, what would be the point in categorizing a game that still isnt even out yet?

The man speaks the truth!

OdinTyler
Feb 2, 2006, 10:15 PM
Thanks, T. I mention other games too. However, I keep it to a limit. This IS a Phantasy Star forum afterall. If you like PS, youre here, obviously. If youre worried about whether its good or not, thats understandable. Comparing it to other games when PSU doesnt even have a sure footing yet as its not out, is hardly a fair comparison. Besides, if youre more into another series, you wouldnt be here right?

Ancient
Feb 3, 2006, 10:30 AM
Wait, so this game WONT be like Hot Shots Golf in space? Man, I'm on the wrong forums then...

OdinTyler
Feb 3, 2006, 10:39 AM
Nope, its not. Bye! LOL

MXdude
Feb 3, 2006, 03:50 PM
im not comparing the gameplay or game itself to Fable >.> just the over-hype. But you should really calm down a bit its just video games...Tho Shall Not Compare One Game To Another! heh oh lordy! please forgive me for what i have done!

Tystys
Feb 3, 2006, 03:51 PM
On 2006-02-03 07:30, Ancient wrote:
Wait, so this game WONT be like Hot Shots Golf in space? Man, I'm on the wrong forums then...

Lmao.That'd be one hell of a game.

ILLI
Feb 3, 2006, 08:55 PM
The best thing about psu is that its coming... i was so worried after GC versions and BB the pso series would end... i was worried we would have to convert to a different game with very different style of play.... so no matter what has changed in psu it is a happy relief...
i was one of the many that left pso gc for ffxi... now i sit at home and play nothing... ffxi didnt have the thrill or the lasting gameplay as pso...
so the best thing about psu.... its coming http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Espilonarge
Feb 3, 2006, 08:59 PM
For me it would have to be the character customization and the rooms/lobbies/cities. Allot of people seem to be intrested in those perticuler features as much as I am. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

DizzyDi
Feb 4, 2006, 02:08 PM
On 2006-02-03 12:50, MXdude wrote:
im not comparing the gameplay or game itself to Fable >.> just the over-hype. But you should really calm down a bit its just video games...Tho Shall Not Compare One Game To Another! heh oh lordy! please forgive me for what i have done!

Hmmm. I don't think the game is being over-hyped. We're over-hyping it a bit but the rest of the gaming world are just shrugging thier shoulders. It hasn't been hyped NEARLY to the extent of Fable or (god-forbid) Halo 2.

Tystys
Feb 4, 2006, 09:37 PM
Oh my god....
Does anyone remember the tons of times they push back Halo 2, and Half Life 2? I understand Half Life, because they got the engine stolen...but Halo? Halo 2 was a great game, but it really didn't do much for me...I hope PSU doesn't have the same fate...

Ancient
Feb 5, 2006, 05:25 PM
Considering that PSO was made 5 years ago, when the 128-bit generation was still getting started, the room for improvement both graphical and gameplay wise is exceptional.
I've got a good feeling about this game. It doesnt look like so much of the other Sega/ST games that seem to be simply pushed out the door to generate money. Even the waaay early build I played at E3 last year was enjoyable at least as much as PSO and that was just a taste of watered down single player. So you didnt even get to mess with stats, rares,parter bots, etc. and it was still a fun game.
My biggest concern is how well Sega will run the game once released. Will it have perpetually laggy servers like PSO? Even the xbox version, which is broadband ONLY, lagged just as bad as the DC dail-up version. That spells crappy servers to me. And will Sega take a more active stance in dealing with cheaters? Fix those, and I'd be happy just to play the same ol' PSO with a visual upgrade.

Tystys
Feb 5, 2006, 06:24 PM
On 2006-02-05 14:25, Ancient wrote:
Considering that PSO was made 5 years ago, when the 128-bit generation was still getting started, the room for improvement both graphical and gameplay wise is exceptional.
I've got a good feeling about this game. It doesnt look like so much of the other Sega/ST games that seem to be simply pushed out the door to generate money. Even the waaay early build I played at E3 last year was enjoyable at least as much as PSO and that was just a taste of watered down single player. So you didnt even get to mess with stats, rares,parter bots, etc. and it was still a fun game.
My biggest concern is how well Sega will run the game once released. Will it have perpetually laggy servers like PSO? Even the xbox version, which is broadband ONLY, lagged just as bad as the DC dail-up version. That spells crappy servers to me. And will Sega take a more active stance in dealing with cheaters? Fix those, and I'd be happy just to play the same ol' PSO with a visual upgrade.

I believe SEGA said somewhere(or more appropiately, ST) that they will take more effective measures in dealing with hacks and cheaters. I truly hope they keep this promise, because that's probably why the servers are laggy, O_O.
I'm thinking that also because they're going Cross Platform(and possibly Cross Regional), they're going to have to pull something out of their ass in order to cease constant lag. Hopefully, it'll be broadband only(I forgot if it was or not). Sorry, 56kers, but I'm thinking broadband would give everyone(yes, including selfish old me) a much better experience, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif.

Uncle_bob
Feb 5, 2006, 06:31 PM
Character customization. Didn't a few people calculate that with all the option combinations, there are millions or billions of unique designs possible?

Anyway, it's quite interesting. I rarely ran into any Racasts that looked like mine on all the versions of Phantasy Star Online that I played. That's what made me feel warm and runny fuzzy inside -- my character was unique.

And now with the flexibility of raising your characters with PSU, you can even design your character to be even more unique in their abilities and so-on.

Kupi
Feb 5, 2006, 08:02 PM
On 2006-02-05 15:31, Uncle_bob wrote:
Character customization. Didn't a few people calculate that with all the option combinations, there are millions or billions of unique designs possible?

That'd be me. The posts in question:

Kupi wrote:

A point of interest: by EspioKaos's figures, discounting voice type and all the variation allotted by factors affected by slider bars (eye color, facial proportion, hair color, and body proportion), there are 109,440,000,000 unique combinations of body parts for human males.

That's just for one of eight possible character types (four races, two genders).

Is anyone still concerned that they won't be able to make something unique that they'll like?

Okay, so some new math: given IGN's "four face types, six eye types, nineteen eye eyebrow types, thirteen eyelash types, two ear types, fifty-six hairstyles" and "five underwear settings" plus the Network of PSU's fifty options for jackets, pants, and shoes (which I assume is actually a minimum, considering how much the hair has been expanded), that's a total of 414,960,000,000 unique combinations BEFORE using the facial slider bar, body proportion slider bar, hair color, skin color, and eye color, for one class. That's up from my 109,440,000,000 calculation for human males, and also, need I remind you, with fewer options assumed for jackets, pants, and shoes that will probably be included.

Well near 415 billion possibilities. Ye Light.

So yeah. Even excluding the slider bars, if you were to just select parts at random, it would be darned near statistically impossible to create a character that someone else already had. We gonna have some fun with this.

(The math is probably not representative of the end product, though. Witness "fifty-six hairstyles" reported in the IGN article. I think the final game is going to have fewer. Still. Millions and billions.)

Tystys
Feb 5, 2006, 08:24 PM
Spiky Hair FTW

F-o-x
Feb 5, 2006, 08:56 PM
I hate spikey hair. Was it just me or were 90% of the hackers/cheaters on DC PSO HUmars with the spikey hair? Yet thats not really why I don't like it... I just thought it looked ridiculous in PSO. Maybe I'll like the spikey hair option (or options) in PSU. If not I'll just go with my character's classic shoulder-length hair.

OdinTyler
Feb 5, 2006, 10:28 PM
Yes, everyone wanted to be a Saiyan/Sephiroth looking HUmar before their evil hacking ways began. Since it was brought up, has anyone here played PSO on broadband? Ive played online with broadband before, but, not PSO. Just wondering was it dramatically better? PSU is gonna rock now cause I do have the broadband waiting for it.

Tystys
Feb 5, 2006, 10:36 PM
Yes, it's much better.

OdinTyler
Feb 5, 2006, 10:41 PM
I just fear for FSOD & BSOD. In EQOA, it was annoying, but, wasnt as detrimental for your char or your items as it was on PSO. Everytime it would happen on PSO, well...lets just say I wasnt a happy camper. Now, that Ill be on broadband, I hope its severely lessened. I know it wont go away completely & Im taking into consideration the server-side saving shall potentially protect our chars better.

lain2k3
Feb 5, 2006, 10:48 PM
PSU will be server based, will it not?

If I'm not mistaken, you shouldnt lose anythign when the game crashes for whatever reason.

OdinTyler
Feb 5, 2006, 11:55 PM
Yep, its server-side saving. Thats why Im hoping it will be similar to how it was on EQOA (but vastly improved). Some zones in that game caused blackouts almost every time you entered them & they were never fixed, no matter how many of us wrote to them. I pray that doesnt carry over here. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Ancient
Feb 6, 2006, 01:13 AM
Like mentioned before, the xbox Live version of PSO was just as laggy as any dial up version. And thats broadband only. But that was Sega's fault for using the same old crappy servers they used on the DC version.
Playing with broadband on PSOBB with broad band is signifigantly better, because Sega actually put a little money into that version, and sprang for some non-suck servers.

OdinTyler
Feb 6, 2006, 08:10 AM
Well, thats good to know. I feel better now. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I wonder what theyll name the servers in PSU. After stars? Gems? Any ideas?

Tystys
Feb 6, 2006, 06:26 PM
Corresponding Regional Sega Characters(like for Japan it'd be characters for games we havn't even heard of,O_O)

Alisha
Feb 6, 2006, 06:52 PM
i cant wait till the first time my beast girl assumes beast form and opens a massive can of pwnage!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

in pso i was always jealous of hucast atp and couldnt stand to play male characters

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2006-02-06 15:52 ]</font>

hypersaxon
Feb 11, 2006, 11:32 PM
1. Way more security. Server Side Saving is a huge plus, that will hopefully keep people from hacking. Hopefully Sonic Team will keep watch over everything and actively ban people who cheat.

2. Abolishment of classes. Now I can use a Sword, a Shotgun, and a Wand without having to make seperate characters http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif plus I have more control on my skill progression, so I can focus on Hunter skills if I want to or try to balance all three skill types. I definitely prefer this over having my skills predetermined. Plus I can now have a female Human hunter if I want to, or a Newman ranger, stuff you can't do on the old games.

3. Ultra advanced character customization. Now I have so many options to customize my character, from clothing to facial features to even breast size http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

4. The new combat system, featuring dual wielding and the new PP system with weapon skills and technics... pwnage.

5. Single player doesn't suck anymore, there's now an actual RPG! Sure you can still play it PSO style, but having voice acting and cinematics and characters and storyline make things way cooler.

coomdoom
Feb 12, 2006, 01:31 AM
the my rom feature is my favorite.