PDA

View Full Version : Your first time getting started..

Atayin
Feb 1, 2006, 11:17 AM
I was thinking about that feeling... you know, that liberating feeling you get when you FINALLY make it home from the store to play the game you've been waiting for. You start playing and everything is so new, fresh and exciting. You don't know what to expect and you're exploring every aspect of your new game. It got me thinking about what PSU is going to be like when I first get going. Sure, I know I'll make my character, make a room and so on and so forth... but venturing around the planet, gaining levels for the first time and finding new things.. who will I be doing it with? Will they be people I've met from PSO-World? Or maybe people I encounter in the Lobby town who are all chatting about how exctatic they are to be playing. Either way, it's interesting to wonder what it'll be like.

So, as we all patiently (many of us impatiently *including me*) try to wait for PSU, I think it'd be fun for everybody to think back on their first experience as a newbie when they played PSO. I thought mine was pretty interesting, so I'll share.

I had waited months to play Phantasy Star Online after delayed release dates and constantly checking to see when it would be available. They said it would be a game that broke language barriers and would do all sorts of things, all on a console. Not to mention the fighting was in real-time, yet it was an RPG. It was something new, innovative and in some aspects, revolutionary. I was excited to say the least.

Back then, PSO had graphics that were mind-blowing for most of us. Especially for an RPG. Dreamcast, afterall was the most advanced console at the time. Sure, I was expecting nice graphics, but my jaw still dropped when I hit the character screen and heard that smooth and steady music playing. The game had a lot of personality already.

After spending maybe an hour in the character generator, I logged onto the MIRANDA ship. People were practically eccentric! "OMG THIS IS FREAKIN AWESOME LSDKJGDG", "WE'RE FINALLY HERE! CELEBRATE!! (emote: YAHOO!! YAHOO!!)", etc., etc. Needless to say, I was excited as well.. But not as excited as I got when something unexpected happened.

A big group of level 90+ characters from the Japanese server all came to greet us with a warm hello. I was literally grinning from ear to ear from such a friendly gesture. Two of them, both Forces, volunteered to help myself and another new player after we all introduced ourselves. The four of us played through the game from Forest 1 and through Dark Falz, the force characters keeping us healed, resurrected and making sure we got the XP. When that ending theme played after beating Dark Falz, I was completely sucked in. I couldn't beleive the generosity and the comradery I felt from these people who were sitting on the other side of the world.

We returned to Pioneer, where our veteran friends proceeded to give us item after item as well as a ton of Meseta. They gave us their best wishes, we traded guild cards, said our goodbyes, went our seperate directions so that they could help others, and I spent the remainder of the day thrashing away at monsters with Sabers, Handguns and a bunch of money for resources. I made plenty of friends and I had a lot of fun in PSO, but one of the most outstanding things to me was that first game.

Nothing beats the challenge of having to pull together without lvl 90+ characters to help you out, but the gesture of them taking the time to help a bunch of foreigners was what I found so compelling. Especially considering that out of the vast majority of cultures, Japan is not always the most accepting when it comes to foreigners. Despite all of that, here we were, all gamers, coming together regardless of background, culture, creed and everything else.. to have a good time. Needless to say, I thought it was really cool to have so many Japanese friends.. and even some who couldn't speak English.

I'm hoping that PSU will be a lot of fun when I start playing. I don't expect anything like the intercultural experience that I had with PSO because PSU will be a different type of game. Either way, I'm looking forward to it. Maybe I'll even run into a few of you guys when I get there. Does anybody else have Rookie experiences they want to share? Any major expectations for PSU in regards to them? A reason that many of us are even excited to play PSU is because we love PSO so much. I wonder how the transition from one great game to another will be.

Dhylec
Feb 1, 2006, 12:43 PM
Heh, quite a long post you have there, but it's a good one.
It's nice that you had the opportunity to meet kind & generous players when first got online. It's not much about the game that pulled you in, it's really the interactions with others that you, as well as many of us here, felt. Keep that pleasing thought & spread it on PSU. ;]

SirAri
Feb 1, 2006, 02:45 PM
My online experiances with various other games have never been very good. There are always people there that like to put you down for no reason whatsoever. Its quite irritating.

I have had a couple of good online experiances though. Back in the day, (About a year ago.) a friend of mine from a forum I visit invited me to come try out this game called rose online, which was in its beta testing phase at the time. It wasnt pay-to-play, so I gladly downloaded it and began to play. A couple other people from the forum showed up as well and we had a blast running aroung killing things to level up. It took awhile to level up and such, but my friend who envited me always helped me out with extra gold at random intervals. (He was quite a bit higher leveled than me, so battling together was not do able. After awhile of randomly killing things with a guy named Manik from the forums, we founded the clan Project Mayhem.(Fight club, bitches! >_<) Shortly thereafter we met some girl named MsDood, and we had a specific spot that we would always hang out and chat about schtuff. It was really nice. It was practically the same thing as having real friends.

Ah.. Those were the good ole' days.

But sadly, my computer got fried somewhere between then and now, and we had to replace the entire motherboard.

And in the passage of time between it being broke, and it getting replaced, you could no longer download the game off of the site, and it became pay-to-play.

They were good times while they lasted.

I hope to share times like that with you all in the future. ^_^

Atayin
Feb 1, 2006, 04:03 PM
Dhylec and SirAri, thanks for the positive responses, guys. Interaction definately is a very strong part of what a lot of us get out of an online game.

SirAri, I know what you mean. My online gaming experiences in general (or maybe even all of them..) have been bittersweet. There've been good times and bad times. I suppose I've encountered more jerks then I care to remember. The experiences that stick with me are the ones I got to share with colorful and interesting people. The most difficult thing about getting attatched to them and the game is facing the fact that it'll all eventually pass. I guess I've gone through that in real life, as well. Alas, "All good things must come to an end", right?

All in all, I'm pretty optimistic about how things will be in PSU. You take the good in with the bad, and in the end it's all worth it. Especially if you've got good, solid gameplay to fall back on. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

oh and I nearly forgot.. I played R.O.S.E., too! It was during the Beta test. Good times, man. I doubt we met, but, indeed it was fun while it lasted. Ahh, nostalgia..

KhaosKidd
Feb 2, 2006, 08:31 PM
reading ur story Atayin sums up wut i wuz goin' 2 say cuz even tho i didnt meet generous ppl from across seas i did hav a lot of higher classed ppl protect and lv. me up but when i fought on my own i wondered y i got my ass KICKED! but i quickly got tha hang of it and started fightin' and makin' a name 4 myself then L8ted joined up wit the higher classed ppl that helped me out at first. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

KhaosKidd
Feb 2, 2006, 08:36 PM
oh yea i never played ROSE online but i played RAGANOROK (sry bout spelling) and that wuz a really kool game except the fact that i wuz playin on PC and i wuznt use 2 playin online games on PC. Especially cuz i had tha wrong mouse that had tha rolling ball 2 move tha mouse pointer. u kno wut im talkin bout?

Tystys
Feb 2, 2006, 10:04 PM
My first time with PSO was during the PSO:BB beta. It was pretty awesome. I had never tried PSO, and had wanted to for years(I was only a young lil 8-10 year old when it was released), and now I finally could play it. For an old game, it was really cool.

NightHour13
Feb 5, 2006, 02:50 AM
hahah i was quite the youngin when i got into a game called Graal Online (perhaps some of you have heard of it). It was in the infant stages and wow, let me tell you, for a kid who thought Atari was the alleged superior beeing, i almost had a seizure when i played that game. I played on some server called N pulse and the amount of adventure i had on that game was incredible. The people were usually these really angry "azn" kids who ran around killing new players but I wasnt much of a team player back then any way. I went back about 3 years ago and the whole thing changed, sucks now but life was good while the game was free and i was young.

Atayin
Feb 5, 2006, 05:04 AM
KhaosKidd, I remember Ragnarok as well. Actually, I joined a long time ago back in RO Alpha (pre-beta) when there were only around 100 people online the server at a time. Those were the days... Lots of us knew eachother and I had a small clique I rolled with. I still keep in touch with a couple of those guys.

NightHour13, You played GRAAL? That's crazy, so did I. Graal was my first online game. I frequented the main server back in around '98 and soon later joined a private server with a guy named Drakaden. It was called Valikorlia. My name was Hunter Rubeus and I knew quite a few people.. Unixmad was even consulting with me to help write material for their main server (storylines), until he ripped off Drakaden in a little scandal that some of the mods used to get graphics for their main server.

Graal's got a lot of interesting history. I think I'll always be a little bitter towards that community, though.

It's cool to see that some people here have played some of the same games as I did. I think that my fondest memories probably come from Graal, even if it is a little bittersweet when I get nostalgic about it. It's pretty amazing how far online games have come since then, huh?

EDIT: Since we're both from Graal, I'll share a HILARIOUS story about something that happened there. Back in the private server days of Graal 1.28, we were a tight community in Valikorlia. I knew a guy named Lord Chimp.

Lord Chimp was absolutely hysterical, so he'd charm people into giving him power.. even if he shouldn't have been trusted AT ALL. So, eventually, on Graal Main, he decides to use his admin power to change all of the major graphics via FTP RC into HENTAI.

That's right. Hentai.
The player count shot through the roof. Parts of the server crashed, Admins and GMs were going crazy. Lord Chimp got his power taken away... and they GAVE IT BACK to him a couple months later! So he did some even bigger thing to abuse it. That guy cracks me up to this day.

Last I heard from him, he was an admin again. Wow. That's the stuff of legends. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atayin on 2006-02-05 02:10 ]</font>

Tystys
Feb 5, 2006, 06:04 AM
LMFAO
That seems...odd, lol

OdinTyler
Feb 6, 2006, 12:03 AM
There was a game called Graal? LOL Never heard of it. First time I heard that word was PSU. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif