PDA

View Full Version : How do you think PSU Advertisment will be?

Kannon
Feb 1, 2006, 05:16 PM
I surely hope they go further than they did with PSO.
There were no U.S.commericals right?

They should emphasize the strong story mode and Online abilities
Story mode more so for the new comers and those who
don't go online,altough letting it be well known
that the online mode is The strongest for those that
enjoy such things.
And make sure they know that the fighting is not
like everything else for those that don't like the
way other MMORPGs fight or enjoy this more.

Oh yeah don't forget Character creation.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kannon on 2006-02-01 14:21 ]</font>

azjazo
Feb 1, 2006, 05:31 PM
maybe enphatize in the deep character creation mode, custom characters are "IN", and I abreee thit the clasic action-RPG story mode, they should make crear about the futuristic installament of PSU, I think that will be a great bai since almost all playerss are kind of tired of the same old medieval feeling of RPGs these days

Kano-Okami
Feb 1, 2006, 05:35 PM
hmm, good question.
I remember PSO's advertisement in various magazines, saying something like "SCREAM FOR HELP! in 7 different languages". It was funky, and showcased its pitch, being an international MMO. For PSU, they have their work cut out for them,
as far as the advertising. It'll probably be more focused on offline, or the fact that its like 2 games in one..(or 1.5 <_<)that, or highlight its customization.

OdinTyler
Feb 1, 2006, 06:42 PM
Here is how PSU's advertisement will be:

Atayin
Feb 1, 2006, 06:54 PM
I just don't know what it is with SEGA, but they seem so lacking when it comes to advertising, ever since the Dreamcast. I remember the weak Shenmue commercials and the "Scream for help in 7 different languages" ads for PSO. Neither of them EVER boasted the amazing gameplay or showed anything of actual appeal..

To be honest, I don't expect PSU to catch on with mainstream at all. If it does, then that's awesome.. but, I'm so used to Sega of America doing stupid things that it doesn't even frustrate me anymore. Neglecting PSU would be a rediculously bad move for SoA, but unfortunately, it wouldn't be the first..

MinscTFA
Feb 1, 2006, 07:09 PM
We could always look on in awe at the awesome ads which will run in Japan.

NightHour13
Feb 1, 2006, 07:11 PM
I have to agree with Odin tyler and the others, Sega has not really ever advertised much past the dreamcast for many things at all. My main concern is as the man before me said, will this catch onto the mainstream? Of course theres enough people in all of PSO-World and other sites that generally make up the population for sure, but thats not going to be enough for sales i bet. Either way, im fine with everyone here and tell ya the truth - i dont want any unknowing who has no PSO experience to come in and bash the game starting a whole thing.

ajenteks
Feb 1, 2006, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I don't really care if this game is popular or not. I'd rather let the Final Fantasy X+ fans keep their Final Fantasy X+ stuff.

DizzyDi
Feb 1, 2006, 07:27 PM
I think they should advertise the theme song that we all know and love! Something like... SAVE THE WORLD, BATTLE FOR A BRIGHT TOMMOROW TODAY! YAAAAY!

Tystys
Feb 1, 2006, 07:28 PM
Not to mention the fact that we got dumb asses telling people not to buy the game because of the amount of hacks PSO had(going on a review found at gamestop.com). I really hope some miracle happens, and SEGA gets some really cool ads in for PSU. I've already seen half of one, but it's also an add for Play Station online. It shows a couple of PS2 games, including PSU on IGN I think it was.

vox3om
Feb 1, 2006, 07:33 PM
I really don't remember seeing TV commercials for PSO. And I don't think there will be any for this release either. I hope there aren't actually. When things get over publicized you end up getting a bunch of sell out 12 year olds playing the game for a month and just causing havock to piss of the real true plays of the PSO timeline.

But...if there were going to be commercials advertising this game...I believe that would be amazing http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Kannon
Feb 1, 2006, 09:43 PM
DOn't forget the reason that they are
putting it on the PS2.

They will no doubt advertise but I don't mind the added people because
you can get away from them And they will probally have game Masters(GMs).
Maybe they will get caught up like the others.

They will undoubtedly advertise the games features.

don't forget if JP players don't hack it the US cheaters will have to start
from nothing.(hopefully)

OdinTyler
Feb 1, 2006, 10:08 PM
On 2006-02-01 16:11, NightHour13 wrote:
I have to agree with Odin tyler and the others, Sega has not really ever advertised much past the dreamcast for many things at all. My main concern is as the man before me said, will this catch onto the mainstream? Of course theres enough people in all of PSO-World and other sites that generally make up the population for sure, but thats not going to be enough for sales i bet. Either way, im fine with everyone here and tell ya the truth - i dont want any unknowing who has no PSO experience to come in and bash the game starting a whole thing.

Im glad someone got my joke. Their ad would be a blank page cause Sega's not gonna advertise PSU anymore than they advertised PSO. In other words, not at all. Retailers & webpages will handle that. Id be shocked if I saw a PSU commercial on TV. Of course, Id have to find a way to RECORD it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

vox3om
Feb 2, 2006, 12:38 PM
Agreed.

Tomeeboy
Feb 2, 2006, 01:51 PM
I would like to see a little more effort go into advertising, because it would mean more sales and monthly users, which would *hopefully* mean better service and support for everyone.

I think that some well-placed TV ads when we get closer to the launch would really give things a boost. I could definitely see some ads on Cartoon Network and Sci-Fi Channel doing well...

Kano-Okami
Feb 2, 2006, 02:10 PM
Not all advertisement is on the T.V.
I'm not saying it'll be on billboards anywhre but seeing as this is the first Phantasy Star premiere on the ps2 and one of the longer running projects (around 5 years development), it will probably be something grand. I believe it'll mostlikely be advertised heavy in game magazines like EGM, GMR, Famitsu, or GamePro and wouldn't be surprised to see some good advertisement in stores like Gamestop (biggest gamestore chain) or see it floating around at IGN.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kano-Okami on 2006-02-02 11:13 ]</font>

Rain_1
Feb 2, 2006, 02:29 PM
Letters will show up on the TV AD saying:

Scrooling up: Phantasy Star V?
scrooling down: Phantasy Star Online 2?

fade to a nice landscape with trees and grass when a light comes from the sky and hits the tree, killing all vegetation around it and then....

oh wait...

PrinceBrightstar
Feb 2, 2006, 02:44 PM
Honestly I think there's enough hype from gaming magazines that they won't have to advertise it. I mean on 1UP right now its...

#115 on 1UP
(of 16,423)
#31 on PS2
(of 1,399)
#21 in RPG
(of 581)

http://egm.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3138701

SirAri
Feb 2, 2006, 03:28 PM
Heres my version of the psu advertisment:

Phantasy Star Universe! Its a game to play while waiting for the next final fantasy!!

Edit: I'm not actually serious about that. XD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SirAri on 2006-02-02 15:56 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Feb 2, 2006, 03:45 PM
Yeah & tho Im against book burning, Id have to burn any advertisement that DARED say that!

Kano-Okami
Feb 2, 2006, 03:51 PM
On 2006-02-02 12:28, SirAri wrote:
Heres my version of the psu advertisment:

Phantasy Star Universe! Its a game to play while waiting for the next final fantasy!!

T_T;#,
Don't even get me started on that one, I've already got a thread all about that mix-up in Playstation Magazine (damn you, FF fanboy editors!)

OdinTyler
Feb 2, 2006, 10:17 PM
It would just break FF fanboys hearts to know that Phantasy Star came out first. That & Square's copied a few things from Sega. They are 2 different series entirely. Lets just keep it separate.

shinobu_seta
Feb 3, 2006, 03:41 PM
There will be no advertising. Sega never does.

Eventually PSU US will be in the same condition as every PSO US release, while the JP community will continue to thrive.

Other things factor into that as well, but lack of mainstream exposure does affect things.

Low user volume = little profit = next to no technical support/new content.

I'm pretty sure PSO even had tv commercials in Japan...

OdinTyler
Feb 3, 2006, 06:39 PM
On 2006-02-03 12:41, shinobu_seta wrote:

Eventually PSU US will be in the same condition as every PSO US release, while the JP community will continue to thrive.

Other things factor into that as well, but lack of mainstream exposure does affect things.

Well, going by this logic (& I gree with it), dont you think Sega should try to make an attempt to advertise other than in Japan? Get ppl knowing about & willing to play PSU. That will drive up user base, thus, profits & then, they wont have an excuse to not have a decent amount of tech support & new content. Its the easy things that we figure out that they dont even come close to getting. We're offering them our money. They just dont seem to want it. LOL

Tystys
Feb 3, 2006, 06:57 PM
Something tells me they are going to advertise it, but only when they have a real release date. They did the same thing with Shadow Hedgehog.

DeathMachine
Feb 3, 2006, 09:05 PM
"Scream for help in 12 different languages...

Atayin
Feb 4, 2006, 06:19 AM
On 2006-02-03 15:39, OdinTyler wrote:

Well, going by this logic (& I gree with it), dont you think Sega should try to make an attempt to advertise other than in Japan? Get ppl knowing about & willing to play PSU. That will drive up user base, thus, profits & then, they wont have an excuse to not have a decent amount of tech support & new content. Its the easy things that we figure out that they dont even come close to getting. We're offering them our money. They just dont seem to want it. LOL

You said it.. I just don't understand what's wrong with Sega of America. Let's just hope they don't start doing what PSP is doing with the "HELLS YEAH" commercials, which boast no actual gameplay content or interesting features to keep potential buyers/fans well informed of what their product has to offer..

ITS LIKE CHEESE YOU CAN PLAY OUTSIDE!
Hey, great... because we can all relate to mice who live in sewers and want to listen to cheese. And then there is about .8 seconds of gameplay footage. Please, Sonic Team.. don't pick up the crackpipe and start making commercials like this. PLEASE!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/twak.gif

OdinTyler
Feb 4, 2006, 12:51 PM
You know what wouldve made a nice PSO commercial? How about when V3 came out (GC & Xbox). The 2nd opening you get when you see the various classes & action. Thats perfect. You get a feel for some gameplay, you see all the types of chars involved & it clearly mentions the game title. If something were done as such for PSU, Id be happy with that. Of course, just make sure to then include that commercial in the game. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

shinobu_seta
Feb 4, 2006, 01:30 PM
On 2006-02-03 15:39, OdinTyler wrote:

On 2006-02-03 12:41, shinobu_seta wrote:

That really would be nice, but I don't think SOA's business plan quite works that way http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

They know that their American audience will play the game no matter what happens. That audience will never get any bigger, but it wont get any smaller either. It's that truth that gives them the minimalist approach to the EU and US versions of PSO.

For some reason I'm still paying for PSOBBUS. I really don't know why, I guess the charm of Phantasy Star has me. As with everyone else who's still playing the game.

If you think about that, all they have to do is set up their cheapest servers and make sure they continue to run and you'll always have a steady profit base from the US and EU players.

I don't want to turn this into some kind of anti-cheating thread, but I think that cheating is really the cause of the lack of support for our games. Didn't Yuji Naka state in an interview that they were spending more time and money trying to stop cheating than they were trying to add new content for the GC?

The rampant FSOD and duping from the gamecube gave them the mind set that most if not all US and EU players are cheaters. That's why the servers of BB are seperate now and the US side is seeing no new content, while the JP version is getting all new episode 4 quests.

I don't know if it's been confirmed otherwise or not, but I really think that the servers will be seperated for US/EU and JP PSU versions. Simply because of their view of our players.

I'm not making these statements to be a racist or anything like that, I'm making them because it's logical. Why would you want to serve a community who's primary goal is to break the game and crash servers? I don't think I'd put forth the effort either.

Tystys
Feb 4, 2006, 01:33 PM
Just add some explosions, you can get some sales, lol

OdinTyler
Feb 4, 2006, 02:28 PM
The sad thing is, SS, most of the cheating originated from Japan's side. They managed to get some hacked items we never saw...at least for the most part. This is not to say there were hackers in only 1 country. However, if what youre saying is true & they cut us off from new content because WE are hackers, they need to take a look in the mirror. The game came out there first. They shouldnt be so quick to judge.
I just hope that since some things appear to be different: server side saving, PS2/PC connectivity, etc., maybe all of the community (not just from 1 region) will be taken seriously. If we all get supported, ST stands to benefit greatly. Its amazing the reception theyd receive if they all treated us as 1 gaming community. I just hope theyve learned from past mistakes.

Atayin
Feb 4, 2006, 05:37 PM
The cheating really did origionate on the Japanese side in PSO, even back on the Dreamcast. The japanese hackers were amazing. My friend, Ruchi, who was in Japan actually told some people off big time for hacking.. I found out (through her friend Chana) that they began calling her home phone and threatening her and everything. Hacking was crazy for PSO in Japan.

Does anybody remember the advertising campaign for Final Fantasy 7? It was pretty good. Nothing too trendy or quirky, but they presented the game as a work of art and cinema. I'm not comparing PSU to Final Fantasy, here, but as far as ADVERTISING goes, I think SEGA could do well presenting PSU in a serious manner instead of following the trend of making a stupid game commercial. And I wouldn't expect to see them regret investing in advertising it due to hacking. I'm sure they've learned a lot from their mistakes with hackers.

Tystys
Feb 4, 2006, 09:35 PM
If SEGA decides to pull some crap on us, and make an American launch not happen because they believe we'll belittle the experience by hacking it to crap, then ofcourse they're gonna get sued....maybe not by us, but by some other, more rich person, O_O.

What am I talking about, anyways? My head hurts...I MUST CRAM MORE HARD ROCK INTO IT!...
The music, dumbies...

Getintothegame
Feb 4, 2006, 10:30 PM
I remember downloading a PSO ad for the original DC version -- It really did nothing. It was a bunch of kids running down a hill to go home to play PSO.

I didn't get the point. But they could use something like Jon's video and do the job well.

Atayin
Feb 5, 2006, 05:28 AM
On 2006-02-04 19:30, Getintothegame wrote:
I didn't get the point. But they could use something like Jon's video and do the job well.

Exactly. The game looks good enough on it's own. I'd say, just flash some amazing game footage in a few commercials and get people saying, "What is this?".

Sure, people love Final Fantasy. But FF is turn-based, as far as I know. PSU can draw a broader audience with it's fighting system. I'm not a turn-fight hater, but the real-time fighting has way more action.

It certainly has more potential then many mainstream RPGs, but I have a feeling that whether or not it catches on will all come down to how they advertise it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atayin on 2006-02-05 02:29 ]</font>

Tystys
Feb 5, 2006, 05:58 AM
I'd hate to compare two different games, but Kingdom Hearts did the same exact thing you guys are talking about. I dunno why, but once they showed game footage on that commercial, it always gave me chills. They need to do that same exact thing for PSU

Atayin
Feb 5, 2006, 06:31 AM
On 2006-02-05 02:58, Tystys wrote:
I'd hate to compare two different games, but Kingdom Hearts did the same exact thing you guys are talking about. I dunno why, but once they showed game footage on that commercial, it always gave me chills. They need to do that same exact thing for PSU

Don't even worry about people who complain about comparing games, Tystys. I'm getting sick and tired of people whining because of comparisons on these boards. When we're talking about advertising and/or the success and potential of Phantasy Star, it's only natural to bring up other advertisements that have resulted in very successful franchises such as Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy and so on. Comparing things helps to analyze and root out reasons that things happened or didn't happen and potentially could go in the same direction in the future. On that note, I can only imagine how huge Xenogears could have been if SquareEnix had advertised it like they did FF and KH. Sometimes even the greatest games go unnoticed outside of "geek" circles (of which I'm always proud to be part of) who spend their money on QUALITY games, because they haven't been advertised.

Kano-Okami
Feb 5, 2006, 08:17 AM
Come to think about it, the main reason I got PSO was because I noticed it being advertised on the back of my Sonic Adventure guidebook, (that and it was only 5 bucks at the local bargain bin http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif).
The advertisement was simple, but the mini clips of game footage made me really want to play it.
Give me a while and I'll post it, I have to dig it up.

Tystys
Feb 5, 2006, 08:32 AM
On 2006-02-05 05:17, Kano-Okami wrote:
Come to think about it, the main reason I got PSO was because I noticed it being advertised on the back of my Sonic Adventure guidebook, (that and it was only 5 bucks at the local bargain bin http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif).
The advertisement was simple, but the mini clips of game footage made me really want to play it.
Give me a while and I'll post it, I have to dig it up.

I remember there being an advertisement on the back Skies of Arcadia booklet for PSO. That's what got me wanting to play the game.

OdinTyler
Feb 6, 2006, 12:00 AM
Didnt PSO come out BEFORE Skies of Arcadia? I played that game but didnt get to finish it. Been a long time so I dont remember.

Kannon
Feb 6, 2006, 11:15 AM
yes is is the title screen without the title saying:
Coming 2001

games sell better usually when advertised seriously.
from what I have noticed

Tystys
Feb 6, 2006, 06:25 PM
On 2006-02-05 21:00, OdinTyler wrote:
Didnt PSO come out BEFORE Skies of Arcadia? I played that game but didnt get to finish it. Been a long time so I dont remember.

Yeah, it did, but I think I put in another post at the time that I was really young when I had my Dream cast(somewhere along the lines of 8-10).

hypersaxon
Feb 11, 2006, 11:52 PM
I think what would help as far as the whole hacking thing is more involvement by the users to putting a stop to it. I mean, people obviously don't like hackers on PSO, but do you see them do anything other than whine and bitch about it? Not really, they just call him a gay homo and walk away. Nobody actually thinks enough to contact Sonic Team with information on people that you've seen while playing the game who are blatantly cheating.

I know that on Xbox, this was really hard to do because people would just get new Live accounts and return with brand new uber hacked characters, but now that Sonic Team can require people to sign up for a service in order to play, it puts more control on their side. Now they could probably take measures that Microsoft can't, like ban credit cards and stuff to keep cheaters off the servers. And with server side saving, it'll also be really hard to cheat as well. Final Fantasy XI has server side saving, and there's no cheating at all in that game. While some loser will probably find a way to cheat, if we keep our eyes peeled and our ears open, find these people, and report them, then we'll have a much better chance of keeping this game hacker-free. And then we'll all be happy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hypersaxon on 2006-02-11 20:53 ]</font>

Parn
Feb 12, 2006, 08:58 AM
On 2006-02-06 15:25, Tystys wrote:
Yeah, it did, but I think I put in another post at the time that I was really young when I had my Dream cast(somewhere along the lines of 8-10).
Nope, Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II were the two big Dreamcast RPGs that everyone raved about at the end of 2000. I remember it specifically because I was still on staff at RPGFan.com back at the time, and I recall recording all kinds of media for the games. A good friend of mine who wrote for The GIA (anyone remember that site?) talked with me regularly on IRC about it... ah, the good ol days... Skies of Arcadia was released a month after the Japanese release, in November of 2000. Grandia II came out in early December of 2000 in the US. Phantasy Star Online came out in Japan just days before Christmas, and then the US release shipped late January of 2001.

Amusingly enough, I ran into my old order history on NCS...

16380 Sep 05, 2000 HKT-3020M USA Dreamcast | Modified/Sega 1
T-4502M Grandia 2 Limited Edition/Game Arts 1
19937 Dec 07, 2000 HDR-0109 Eternal Arcadia Limited Edition/Sega 1
20989 Dec 29, 2000 HDR-0129 Phantasy Star Online | RESTOCK 12/29/Sega 1
22425 Feb 05, 2001 51100 Phantasy Star Online/Sega 1
22944 Feb 14, 2001 51058 Jet Grind Radio/Sega 1
25481 Apr 14, 2001 T-40218N Record of Lodoss War/Crave 1
25688 Apr 17, 2001 HKT-7002 Visual Memory Card/Sega 1
27196 May 16, 2001 DCP-0624-01S Sonic Adventure 2 Birthday Pack/Sega 1
28351 Jun 08, 2001 HDR-0163 Phantasy Star Online v2.0/Sega 1
49181 Jun 12, 2002 GCP-0808P Phantasy Star Online 1 & 2 [JPN Preorder]/Sega 1
DOL-008 Gamecube Memory Card 59/Nintendo 1

Tystys
Feb 12, 2006, 11:32 AM
what, no skies of arcadia?

DizzyDi
Feb 12, 2006, 11:37 AM
Know what would be awesome? If They come out with some advertisements that parody FF. Like they'd have a Tidus or Cloud or Zidane or anyotherffwhineyboy crying/whining about thier life to a shrink or something. But the shrink is Ethan and he's all "Whadda punk..." And then the screen ASPLODES and its all. "PSU, ITS A REAL MAN'S GAME!" ....Something along those lines.

OdinTyler
Feb 12, 2006, 06:36 PM
If such a commercial aired, Id HAVE to tape it. LOL

F-o-x
Feb 12, 2006, 07:44 PM
Something like that would even top the crazy-ass Super Smash Bros Melee commercial. That was by far the funniest video game commercial I've ever witnessed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-o-x on 2006-02-12 16:45 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Feb 12, 2006, 11:13 PM
On 2006-02-12 16:44, F-o-x wrote:
Something like that would even top the crazy-ass Super Smash Bros Melee commercial. That was by far the funniest video game commercial I've ever witnessed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-o-x on 2006-02-12 16:45 ]</font>

Im not sure if I saw that. Remind me. I remember the SMB baseball game where Bowser got abused with baseballs. That was funny! Now, if we're talking funny commercials overall, Id have to go with some of Super Bowl XL's commercials. Those were hilarious! I have most of them downloaded. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

F-o-x
Feb 13, 2006, 04:31 AM
Oh I'd forgotten Super Bowl commercials. Those are almost always hilarious. The SSBM commercial had Mario, Pikachu, Donkey Kong, and... errr some other fourth character I've forgotten. They have people dressed up in giant suits as the characters and they're all skipping in a green meadow. All of a sudden, mid skip, Mario swings his foot around and trips DK (Hell it was one of them... I think it was DK) and then they all start kicking the crap out of each other. All this happened while some "friendly" song was blaring in the backround.

Hmm as far as PSU commercials... they have so many videos that they've released they could just slap one on TV with a few excerpts about the game, but something funny is always nice.

OdinTyler
Feb 13, 2006, 10:23 AM
On 2006-02-13 01:31, F-o-x wrote:
Oh I'd forgotten Super Bowl commercials. Those are almost always hilarious. The SSBM commercial had Mario, Pikachu, Donkey Kong, and... errr some other fourth character I've forgotten. They have people dressed up in giant suits as the characters and they're all skipping in a green meadow. All of a sudden, mid skip, Mario swings his foot around and trips DK (Hell it was one of them... I think it was DK) and then they all start kicking the crap out of each other. All this happened while some "friendly" song was blaring in the backround.

Hmm as far as PSU commercials... they have so many videos that they've released they could just slap one on TV with a few excerpts about the game, but something funny is always nice.

Oh yeah, I remember now. Any commercial that would show anyone kicking the crap out of Mario is fine in my book. As for a PSU commercial, it doesnt have to be that complex. The 2nd opening for PSO that showed the various classes can be done for PSU. Show the various classes, throw in some techs & PAs, maybe the PMs, & youd have a nice commercial. Then, they could take that commercial & have it in the game as it was taken from the game. See? Simple. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

DeathMachine
Feb 14, 2006, 11:44 PM
That was the regular Smash Bros. commercial...(any way, it was yoshi that mario kicked...)

OdinTyler
Feb 15, 2006, 01:15 AM
I like Yoshi. Hes a good race in Super Mario Kart on GC. Him & Birdo make an excellent team. I had to settle for them since I cant use Toad. I heard he was usable in the game but I dont have him. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif