PDA

View Full Version : Here's to you: washed up has-beens.

Jehosaphaty
Feb 5, 2006, 11:33 PM
Best of, greatest hits, farewell tour for the third time. Please, please, and for extra oomph, please just stop while you are still ahead. That is if you were ahead from the beginning, because more often than not you were awful from the start. No more coming back, no more trying to squeeze a penny from your prime days.

It is everywhere: you were once great (objectively speaking); now you are sixty-something and prancing around onstage in belly shirts. Maybe that is an English thing, oh Rolling Scones. Dear Rod Stewart, we don't need another greatest ablum. While we are on the subject, who decided you were great from the beginning? Your two other greatests will suit us fine. Today's young pop singers with cookie cutter best-of records simply copying and pasting from subpar selling first tries: please go away.

Across the board from pop, to soul, to rock, do us all a favor and just leave it at that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jehosaphaty on 2006-02-05 20:35 ]</font>

lain2k3
Feb 5, 2006, 11:38 PM
Amen.

Best of albums are terrible. =(

InfinityXXX
Feb 5, 2006, 11:52 PM
I find some greates hits albums alright.(Like Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye, Isaac Hayes, Sade and many more) but I don't like when artist that haven't been out for awhile or jsut not that talented try to make a greates hits album like Ashanti(who only made 2 cds I think) J lo probably has one too.

Polly
Feb 6, 2006, 12:30 AM
Very few Best Of... collections deserve any kind of mention really. Only one I've kept in my collection consistently is Creedence Clearwater Revival's Chronicle I and II albums.

I really hate how they try and market a best of album with "new material" which is usually just a crappy slapped together song or a B-Side from a year ago that wasn't worth releasing in the first place.

KodiaX987
Feb 6, 2006, 12:39 AM
Add-on to the thread.

Notice all the best-of albums somehow belong to... your grandparents. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif Says much, doesn't it?

CupOfCoffee
Feb 6, 2006, 12:41 AM
Tori Amos whipped up a pretty decent best-of, but you're right... the ones worth buying are indeed few and far between, especially when they come from artists who got their start within the last five years or so.

I think I'd probably buy a greatest hits album from Garbage even though I already have every song and B-side they've ever done or covered, but hey--it's me. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Skorpius
Feb 6, 2006, 12:44 AM
In these times, we call the "best of" album the "live album". ;D

Link5
Feb 6, 2006, 01:35 AM
On 2006-02-05 21:30, Neiclaes wrote:
Very few Best Of... collections deserve any kind of mention really. Only one I've kept in my collection consistently is Creedence Clearwater Revival's Chronicle I and II albums.

I really hate how they try and market a best of album with "new material" which is usually just a crappy slapped together song or a B-Side from a year ago that wasn't worth releasing in the first place.

I agree with you, and this topic to an extent.

The truth of the matter is that the music situation is much different now, than it was decades ago. Bands like, for instance, The Rolling Stones, Creedence, The Who, and so on were pushing out instant classics before most of us here were even born. My opinion is that if such highly influential bands of the past still feel they’re capable of producing creative, talented music, they shouldn’t be told to stay in the past. I also think that seeing as how bands from 30 plus years ago’s music have stood the test of time, and proven to be timeless, they should be allowed the recognition of a greatest hits compilation. Not to mention most of those bands had an abundance of songs that were actually hits.

I completely agree that band’s within the past 5-10 years don’t have much business slapping a greatest hits collection together. It just seems a little ridiculous for a band to be around for a few years and already claim the status of classic when most of their songs have probably become popular for a month, and forgotten just as quickly.

I have trouble envisioning someone from this day and age growing up to be elderly, sitting on some futuristic porch, rocking their grandson on a hover rocking chair, listening to Britney Spears, and saying “Now ya hear this music Sonny? ‘Oops I did it again’ Now that’s what I call classic music!”

That’s just my thoughts.

Allos
Feb 6, 2006, 03:45 PM
The only "Best of/Collections" albums I've ever liked are The Misfits Collection 1 and The Misfits collection 2.

But you see, combined, these have every single recorded Danzig-Era Misfits song out there, so it's not like you're missing lesser known tracks as per usual in collections.

rena-ko
Feb 6, 2006, 04:00 PM
the only point of a 'best of' album would be to get all the good (?) ones in one disk. that is if you dont own the real albums yet.
but really, whats the point of them in the age of mp3-players and custom collections and playlists...

Jehosaphaty
Feb 6, 2006, 05:25 PM
i think i bought one best of album and it was lynard skynard. rena makes a very good point.

Charmander02
Feb 6, 2006, 05:47 PM
hehe...Cher

She's been around forever.

And she never goes away!XD

Scopes
Feb 6, 2006, 05:47 PM
On 2006-02-05 21:39, KodiaX987 wrote:
Add-on to the thread.

Notice all the best-of albums somehow belong to... your grandparents. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif Says much, doesn't it?

Amen... Course... my grandparents... probably differnt stuff than yers...