PDA

View Full Version : SEGA'S SECRET - REVEALED!

OdinTyler
Feb 6, 2006, 11:36 AM
ST cannot hide behind their 'No comment' policy on why PSU was delayed. I present an interesting answer:

http://sega.jp/soft/home.html

It seems Sega's been rather busy as of late, trying to release ALOT of games over the next couple of months. We're talking PS2, PSP, GC & even GBA. I see there what looks like a Devil Hunter Yohko RPG? Looks interesting. Still & all, why rush so many games to thus delay PSU's release, when PSU is clearly advertised all over the place? Just thought Id share what I found.

rena-ko
Feb 6, 2006, 11:47 AM
thats a good question. ask them?

ajenteks
Feb 6, 2006, 12:52 PM
On 2006-02-06 08:36, OdinTyler wrote:

Still & all, why rush so many games to thus delay PSU's release, when PSU is clearly advertised all over the place?

To make money.

PrinceBrightstar
Feb 6, 2006, 12:54 PM
What the hell, the PC version got pushed!?

Tkinc
Feb 6, 2006, 03:03 PM
It's understandable- since they know that PSU's gonna be the best Online game in 2006 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif You could also say the same with Twilight Princess by Nintendo- all the delays to make the game 'perfect' and have a 'perfect' time to release to benefit themselves- a.k.a the Nintendo Revolution- and hey- maybe now they are thinking ahead- like 'if PSU is a success, do you think we could ship it to other systems?' - Capcom did the same with 'Capcom v/s SNK 2 EO' from Nintendo's "ONLY FOR" to the X-BOX the following year...

OdinTyler
Feb 6, 2006, 04:09 PM
One of the reasons I posted this was if theyre putting attention to so many games in such a short time, is PSU getting the attention that we think it is or is being promised? True, its smart to delay the game so that theres not so much competition between themselves. However, why so many all at once?

DamonKatu
Feb 6, 2006, 04:48 PM
On 2006-02-06 09:54, Jonathan_F wrote:

NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo!!!

Tystys
Feb 6, 2006, 06:10 PM
WOW! Nice going Sega! Didn't have the decency to tell us why you were delaying the game in the first. We would've probably understood about it, and agreed that MAYBE the push back is a good idea, -_-.

OdinTyler
Feb 6, 2006, 07:12 PM
On 2006-02-06 13:48, DamonKatu wrote:

On 2006-02-06 09:54, Jonathan_F wrote:

NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo!!!

Uh guys, BOTH versions (PS2 & PC) were delayed til Fall, remember?

Alisha
Feb 6, 2006, 07:25 PM
this thread fails please explain to me why jp releases would have any impact on us ones...

Ryna
Feb 6, 2006, 08:03 PM
On 2006-02-06 16:12, OdinTyler wrote:
Uh guys, BOTH versions (PS2 & PC) were delayed til Fall, remember?

If you look at the bottom of your link, you'll see that only the PS2 version of PSU is slated to be released on the 30th. Did they forget to include the PC version?

Tystys
Feb 6, 2006, 08:38 PM
No, because I was surfing that part of the PS2, and somewhere down the page is the PC release.

OdinTyler
Feb 7, 2006, 01:03 AM
Both versions were delayed to March 30th in Japan & Fall 2006 for US. Thats straight from Sega of Japan. As for my post, I put that up because clearly theyre rushing to push games we've never heard of out & PSU which is of course an old game in progress, gets sent further & further back. This is 1 among probably a few reasons why PSU was REALLY delayed.

Tystys
Feb 7, 2006, 01:24 AM
All this does is fuel my anger, lol

Atayin
Feb 7, 2006, 12:05 PM
Now, I'm beginning to think that the delay may mostly be for promotion purposes. It may actually be a good sign. Perhaps SEGA is finally getting back on the ball by trying to use some tact in how they sell their products.

azjazo
Feb 7, 2006, 01:02 PM
mh, maybe its that sega its fixing (or adapting) some of the new engines, you know recently there where some new video cards, the 512 MB ones (w00t!!) and for tehe look of the screens, looks a kinda "pixeled" in some of those, I dunno, maybe they're honlding back to make PSU compatible with the new Video Cards engines, I dont own on that caliber, theyre just too new and I jus bought a 256 MB one, but I think 521 ones will be quite common this fall, and running PSU in one of those videocards will be "orgasmic", just a theory (wide monitors are quite accesible nowdays too, the 1024x768 resolutions are getting old, now the 17 inch and 19 inch LCD monitors are very cheap, so maybe they just want us to experience PSU in a very neat view ala 360 (I dont like 360 tho, but the Hi-Res images are something!))

Ancient
Feb 7, 2006, 04:54 PM
I think a better question is...why oh Lord are we not getting ANY of the Sega Ages volumes?! Phantasy Star, Dragon Force, and a bunch of other excellent games all remade for the PS2!!! Why dont they release them here?! Or port them up in the new Xbox360 Marketplace, they'd make a killing!! I really hate Sega of America. Buncha idjits.

DamonKatu
Feb 7, 2006, 05:58 PM
Gold, that FF demo was just for show. They anounce that they wont do a remake. even though I wish they remake EarthBound sence I like the game but hate the game style. So I know how you feel...

AxelgearVII
Feb 7, 2006, 06:08 PM
I'd rather see PSU come out later and be perfect, than see it come out on time and be flawed. Bugs and such were the downfall of every other PSO.

PJ
Feb 7, 2006, 06:41 PM
I wouldn't call anything a downfall of PSO, considering it lasted 5+ years http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Anyways, are we even considering that these games are all from different parties of Sega? Are any of these games listed for release Sonic Team? >_> (I didn't see the list, but I imagine Sonic Riders or whatever is there, otherwise not much)

So I wouldn't be worried about them delaying it because of the other games Sega is releasing.

Tystys
Feb 7, 2006, 08:12 PM
Bah, I still say the release date sucks, lol.

butzopower
Feb 8, 2006, 01:24 AM
On 2006-02-07 14:58, DamonKatu wrote:
Gold, that FF demo was just for show. They anounce that they wont do a remake. even though I wish they remake EarthBound sence I like the game but hate the game style. So I know how you feel...

If you didn't like the game-style then you completely missed the point of that game. Well... maybe by not liking it you got the point? Oh that game...

http://sega.jp/pc/psu/

The release date is still the 30th.

Russ2576
Feb 8, 2006, 05:22 AM
On 2006-02-07 15:08, AxelgearVIII wrote:
I'd rather see PSU come out later and be perfect, than see it come out on time and be flawed. Bugs and such were the downfall of every other PSO.

People seem to keep forgetting that PSU will have downloadable patches. That'll nip any bugs right there. Unless the Jp version is released and some crazy, totally heinous bug that can't be patched is found. I'm talking people walking around the city/lobby killing everybody in sight and stacking the bodies like firewood heinous.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Russ2576 on 2006-02-08 02:26 ]</font>

Kent
Feb 8, 2006, 07:31 AM
On 2006-02-07 13:54, Ancient wrote:
I think a better question is...why oh Lord are we not getting ANY of the Sega Ages volumes?! Phantasy Star, Dragon Force, and a bunch of other excellent games all remade for the PS2!!! Why dont they release them here?! Or port them up in the new Xbox360 Marketplace, they'd make a killing!! I really hate Sega of America. Buncha idjits.

Really. They would honestly make a killing off of NiGHTs alone, if they put it on the Marketplace. Hell, if they put a Saturn/Dreamcast emulator (which the hardware is far more than capable of) on that thing, I'd be one happy camper.

PrinceBrightstar
Feb 8, 2006, 07:34 AM
They did release them. Sega classics collection i think it was called. Its just a lot of the new ones haven't been worked on yet. (Why did Working Designs have to close down...they'd have picked it up already.)

OdinTyler
Feb 8, 2006, 08:17 AM
Its sad that WD closed down. They were basically my favorite developer & the 1 true dev team that I could see that was dedicated to RPGs. They did that for 1 simple reason: THEY LOVED THEM! They came out with such great games: Lunar, Vay, Dragon Force, etc. If they were still around, I still say they couldve brought over PSO & now, PSU & done an amazing job. If they were on the job, with PSU coming out in JP in March, we wouldve had it by June or July tops.

Rain_1
Feb 8, 2006, 08:35 AM
Except in japan all of these came out:

Sega Ages 2500 Vol01 Phantasy Star Generation 1
Sega Ages 2500 Vol02 Monaco GP
Sega Ages 2500 Vol03 Fantasy Zone
Sega Ages 2500 Vol04 Space Harrier
Sega Ages 2500 Vol05 Golden Axe
Sega Ages 2500 Vol06 Bonanza Brothers
Sega Ages 2500 Vol07 Columns
Sega Ages 2500 Vol08 Virtua Racing
Sega Ages 2500 Vol09 Gain Ground
Sega Ages 2500 Vol10 After Burner II
Sega Ages 2500 Vol11 Hokuto No Ken
Sega Ages 2500 Vol12 Puyo Puyo Perfect Set
Sega Ages 2500 Vol13 OutRun
Sega Ages 2500 Vol14 Alien Syndrome
Sega Ages 2500 Vol15 Decathlete Collection
Sega Ages 2500 Vol16 Virtua Fighter 2
Sega Ages 2500 Vol17 Phantasy Star 2 Generation 2
Sega Ages 2500 Vol18 Dragon Force
Sega Ages 2500 Vol19 Fighting Vipers
Sega Ages 2500 Vol20 Space Harrier II Space Harrier Complete Collection
Sega Ages 2500 Vol21 SDI Quartett SEGA System 16 Collection Vol1
Sega Ages 2500 Vol22 Advanced Daisenryaku Deutch Dengeki Sakusen
Sega Ages 2500 Vol23 Sega Memorial Selection

and those are coming soon

Sega Ages 2500 Vol24 Last Bronx (TBR)
Sega Ages 2500 Vol25 Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box (TBR 060223)
Sega Ages 2500 Vol26 Dynamite Deka (TBR 060427)
Sega Ages 2500 Vol27 Panzer Dragoon (TBR 060427)

Gusntar Heroes Treasure Box actually has Gunster Heroes, Alien Soldier and some other treasure game.

Sega Classics Collection was released in america, but only contained OutRun (vol13), Golden Axe (vol05), Space Harrier (vol04), Columns (vol07), Alien Syndrome (vol14), Fantasy Zone (vol03), Monaco GP (vol02), Virtua Racing (vol08) and Tant R & Bonanza Bros (vol06).

Phantasy Star Collection (containing all 3 remakes of phantasy star games) is scheduled for release in usa, but not before all phantasy star remakes come out in japan first. Still no info on PS4 remake.

PS: I just found out that Panzer Dragoon is coming... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rain_1 on 2006-02-08 05:37 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Feb 8, 2006, 09:07 AM
Idk where my Saturn is & I havent found all my Genesis games yet. Good to know some games are being rereleased. Are some of them going to be identical to the original versions or are they all changing, like the PS collection? I still dont like how they drew the chars in PS1. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Rain_1
Feb 8, 2006, 09:37 AM
Most of them are new editions of old games.

Virtua Fighter 2 was recoded from scratch as SEGA lost all assets and graphics...

Treasure Box is most likely an emualtor, but i could be wrong (it's a faithful rendition of the genny games afaik)

Space Harrier is the same as always
so is fantasy zone

Virtua Racing is apparently better than the 32x version (better resolution).

System16 collection is, most likely, emulated.

http://sega.jp/ps2/ages01/home.html trough http://sega.jp/ps2/ages27/home.html for more info on each release. And if you can't read japanese (like me) you can look at the pretty pictures.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rain_1 on 2006-02-08 07:44 ]</font>

Genoa
Feb 8, 2006, 10:00 AM
>_> I wouldn't be surprised if Sega just... cancelled PSU completely "just kidding guys! Enjoy this instead" PHANTASY STAR ONLINE... EPISODE 5!... For the NINTENDO DS!..... "nooooooo!" >_>

Come on Sega... you phail me again -_-

DarK-SuN
Feb 8, 2006, 10:54 AM
I wonder why everyone is stressing so much about this.

Read: SEGA has several development teams, Sonic Team is one of them.
Sonic Team itself has several departments, one of them is working on PSU.
The delay is unlikely to be because of all of these games, specially since most of the mentioned ones in those SEGA Collection packs are from AM2, NOT Sonic Team (still has some ST titles, but not the majority at all); the delay is surely because they REALLY need to fix/add things to PSU and further test it.

Relax or inform yourselves, people; geez!

OdinTyler
Feb 8, 2006, 11:23 AM
1. How could Sega lose the rights to VF2? They created it! I know it was an AM team that did it, but, still, it was a sub-division of Sega.

2. Id love to own Gunstar Heroes. I beat it long ago with my friend (who owned it). Id love to actually own it now.

3. I think both Space Harrier & Fantasy Zone were revamped. Id love to get my hands on those games too.

4. Id hope Virtua Racing would be better than the 32X. That wasnt such a great system. Maybe give us the arcade version?

5. Nope, my Japanese reading is limited. If I saw a char enough times I could probably memorize it like Ive done for a few Chinese ones.

6. We all love the pretty pictures. LOL

DamonKatu
Feb 8, 2006, 12:15 PM
6)DOnt we all?

Rain_1
Feb 8, 2006, 02:36 PM
On 2006-02-08 08:23, OdinTyler wrote:
1. How could Sega lose the rights to VF2? They created it! I know it was an AM team that did it, but, still, it was a sub-division of Sega.

They lost the ASSETS and SOURCE
That means GRAPHICS and CRAZY COMPUTER FILES THAT DEAL WITH VARIABLES AND MEMORY ACCESS
nobody said anything about rights...

2. Id love to own Gunstar Heroes. I beat it long ago with my friend (who owned it). Id love to actually own it now.

It's coming soon for ps2, and i doubt that won't be released in one form or another in the united states...

3. I think both Space Harrier & Fantasy Zone were revamped. Id love to get my hands on those games too.

afdaik, they're good re-renditions of the games... i think fantasy zone even has a third-person-space-harrier-like mode to it..

4. Id hope Virtua Racing would be better than the 32X. That wasnt such a great system. Maybe give us the arcade version?

except the 32x version if the most faithful (gameplay-wise and content-wise) of the home console versions. The genesis version is a second close, while the Saturn version is also known as "OMFG WHO CODED THIS CRAP"..

I don't know how the PS2 version lives to it... as i don't have a PS2 to actually test them on... Never read anything really bad about it tho (like i did with Golden Axe)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rain_1 on 2006-02-08 11:37 ]</font>

Russ2576
Feb 8, 2006, 08:43 PM
On 2006-02-08 07:54, DarK-SuN wrote:
...the delay is surely because they REALLY need to fix/add things to PSU and further test it.

That's understandable and all, but considering that all the VA work is done, and all that's left to do is to translate it and take care of any bugs, that should not take 6+ months to do.

DarK-SuN
Feb 8, 2006, 09:51 PM
God knows, more can be missing than we know.
I guess only time will tell.

Tycho
Feb 10, 2006, 09:13 AM
Devil Hunter Youko? The hentai one? >_>

OdinTyler
Feb 10, 2006, 11:10 AM
I think youre thinking of La Blue Girl. No, Devil Hunter Yohko. I could swear thats who I saw in some game for JP. At least I THINK its her.

Tystys
Feb 10, 2006, 03:28 PM
O_o
Since when did sega release...."Hentai" games?

OdinTyler
Feb 10, 2006, 03:33 PM
I didnt say they did. We dont know everything that every company comes out with in Japan. I do know that DHY isnt considered hentai. Pretty world-famous anime. Thats why I was surprised to see if its an actual game theyre making now. Whatever it was, it looks real good. Kinda like an RPG, if ya can believe it.

Tystys
Feb 10, 2006, 07:58 PM
Why wouldn't we believe it?
Why am I asking so many questions? Wtf

fronebullare
Feb 10, 2006, 08:46 PM
Wait its all in japaneise?!Translation please.

Tystys
Feb 10, 2006, 10:15 PM
They're working on it,-_-

OdinTyler
Feb 10, 2006, 11:34 PM
Usually Japanese games are in Japanese. Thats generally how it works. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Tystys
Feb 11, 2006, 01:12 AM
Wanta know what I don't get?
Apparently, most japanese people know a little bit of english. Most of here can barely speak ANY Japanese, let alone read it....I'm referring to some of the english things they have in the game(Like Level up and Lvl 1 and stuff like that). Makes me feel a bit like an asshole, lol.

Zarbolord
Feb 11, 2006, 03:34 AM
You just need to see japanese around for a while. It's kind of like me understanding spanish without learning it (i speak italian so some words sound the same). Anyway want to know some japanese?
Imi sanagi kuna no not, oro kakmoto lamet motoikot, mia alfet mot el tia ilme odi ikio mami. Can't remember the exact meaning (comes from Fire Emblem path of radiance, lol).

OdinTyler
Feb 11, 2006, 09:56 AM
The reason that is, is because English is being taught as a 2nd language in many schools throughout the world. Some countries that lead in education such as Japan will no doubt teach their students as such. If our children received bilingual education from when they were young, it would help them out in the long run. Harder to learn in HS & college.

Tystys
Feb 11, 2006, 10:14 AM
I HATE AMERICA'S OBLVIOUSNESS!

OdinTyler
Feb 11, 2006, 12:19 PM
On 2006-02-11 07:14, Tystys wrote:
I HATE AMERICA'S OBLVIOUSNESS!

LOL Its just a different education system here. In Japan they go to school for longer & they may start younger too. Also, setups for grades are similiar, but, still vary. We need to have our schools teach languages other than Spanish, Italian & French. Why wait til college or beyond to learn Japanese, Chinese, German, or Arabic? But, til that happens, it helps to have ppl willing to translate for us. Personally, I wish I were fluent in Japanese. It would really help me out in the future & not just for game playing.

Tystys
Feb 11, 2006, 12:22 PM
That's why I asked if it was katakana or hirigana. I decided to try and teach myself some japanese. THANK YOU INTERNET!

Eclypse
Feb 14, 2006, 04:27 AM
On 2006-02-06 16:25, Alisha wrote:
this thread fails please explain to me why jp releases would have any impact on us ones...

Because PSU/O is a localized game, meaning they will release it in the local zone like with all originating JPN product. If the release is moved up or down in the originating market, it will also be moved up or down in other markets.

They release the game to there home market to get the game filtered out and to see how thing will hold up, then once they have the results they are looking for, they will release it to otehr markets.

Eclypse
Feb 16, 2006, 11:22 AM
On 2006-02-10 22:12, Tystys wrote:
Wanta know what I don't get?
Apparently, most japanese people know a little bit of english. Most of here can barely speak ANY Japanese, let alone read it....I'm referring to some of the english things they have in the game(Like Level up and Lvl 1 and stuff like that). Makes me feel a bit like an asshole, lol.

It's because English is pretty much recognized as the Universal second language whereas Japanese is pretty much a business language at present. There really is no need for Japanese to be integrated into our school systems because only certain types of people would need to or want to learn it, people obsessed with the Japanese Culture(a la many on these boards), or those looking to going into business in the International sense.

The American school system keeps the 5 Romances languages as the basis for what we consider secondary tongues, mainly because 3 of the 5 are damn near Identical(SPanish, Italian, and certain elements of French). I've taken German, Spanish, Latin, Japanese(2 years), French, and Italian and I can only remember how to write in most of them with some conversational skills, where as foreigners learn the language for reasons other than most people here in America learn a second lang.

ZulfiqarTheIV
Feb 16, 2006, 06:56 PM
Well not everyone is offered an education in Japan. Basically you are given a test and if you fail that test you don't go to school, that's the main difference. Whereas here in the U.S. everyone is pretty much given an education of some sort even if you are dumb as hell.

Saffran
Feb 20, 2006, 04:06 PM
Well not everyone is offered an education in Japan.

Yeah, but school is still mandatory until Middle School. (age 12 or so)

Besides, it's not like Japan had any saying in this.