PDA

View Full Version : Online Economy?

DavidNel
Feb 10, 2006, 03:36 PM
This thought was spurred by the weather topic.

Do you think PSU will have an online economy, kinda like runescape? That would be sort weird, having prices go up at random. It would be kinda hard to start off the US players with though...

This was just a random though, what do you think.

Nash
Feb 10, 2006, 04:19 PM
I don't think they'll do that, but I do think the 3 planets will each have their own advantages. So some things will be cheaper on one than the others, maybe even opening up the possibility of trading?

Also if player controlled shops are in the game, that will sort of create an economy as prices will find their own levels.

Dre_o
Feb 10, 2006, 04:28 PM
Assumming that your ability to forge weapons to a great custom level, it all depends on how many people do slop work, and how many do kick ass custom items.

I can imagine it now:...........Pimp My Saber! You've got to Pimp my Saber! Damn right! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Tystys
Feb 10, 2006, 07:36 PM
Which reminds me, has there been any word on Player Created shops? Sure, it'd be overkill, but it'd still be awesome.

Dre_o
Feb 10, 2006, 07:51 PM
On 2006-02-10 16:36, Tystys wrote:
Which reminds me, has there been any word on Player Created shops? Sure, it'd be overkill, but it'd still be awesome.

Yea...Unless you mean new info. We have been told that there will be player run shops.

Tystys
Feb 10, 2006, 07:57 PM
Oooh! I'm gonna have a fun time overpricing weapons to my oblivious freinds! Muahahah!

OdinTyler
Feb 10, 2006, 11:37 PM
Im already going to create all types of items for PSU players. For fair, non-gouging prices, see me. Guildies will of course benefit more. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Tystys
Feb 11, 2006, 01:09 AM
Ugh, which reminds me...Who's making the first PSO world Team! lol

OdinTyler
Feb 11, 2006, 10:03 AM
If you mean teams of ppl made up of ppl from here, it may be difficult. Alot of us already have clans we plan to be in, myself included. I run one & quite a few have signed up, more on the way. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Wanna join?

Tystys
Feb 11, 2006, 10:11 AM
Lol, I'll think about it, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

OdinTyler
Feb 11, 2006, 12:23 PM
OK, should you decide, PM me about it. Anyway, back on economy, I hope we can craft other items besides weapons. Armor, shields, clothing, decorations, etc. These things & more would be great.

Genoa
Feb 11, 2006, 07:46 PM
I think a ranging economy would be a pretty good idea. Over time... many players will have found a type of weapon that is most effective, and if the price of it isn't that high, it can become common to acquire. So if they changed the price of its requirements... many players will find a second solution. Thus, the second solution would eventually be increased while the primary is lowered. It would keep people on their toes for their inventory.

(wow, just noticed, 3 years from today i've been with PSOW... nice)

Atayin
Feb 11, 2006, 07:59 PM
I'd be pretty surprised to see PSU do something as open-ended as a player-run economy. But we already know that there will be player trading, so it's possible.

And, sorry for getting off-topic, but Megaman X, that's an awesome sig. I've been into Megaman since 3rd grade. Is the MMX Clan a soon-to-be PSU guild?

littleman2347
Feb 11, 2006, 09:53 PM
Ya i posted a topic like this a while ago. It was about if the economy would go strait wepons trade only or both money and wepons trade like traditional rpg's usually do. Because PSO was strait wepons trade only or mostly I personaly hope it both. what about ya how would you like it to go. Hopefully the personal shops will help with that.

hypersaxon
Feb 11, 2006, 11:19 PM
It'd be great if there actually was an economy for PSU. In PSO meseta was pretty worthless, the only way to get rare items off people was by trading other items (or running into a nice generous person, but that's rare lol), and if you had no good items to trade, your odds of getting cool items went down.

In Final Fantasy XI, where the economy is run by the users, you can sell things on an Auction House to make money, even while you're not logged in http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif it would be cool if there was something like this in PSU. Price gouging wouldn't be too much of a problem, seeing as on FFXI if you price things too high, your items won't sell. Rare items would probably go for really high prices, but regular items would probably stay around how much they cost at the store. It'd be a really good way to keep a steady cash flow, since at stores you can only sell items for a certain percentage of the actual item's value, and on the AH you'd get more of what it's really worth.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hypersaxon on 2006-02-11 20:23 ]</font>

littleman2347
Feb 12, 2006, 11:00 AM
Price gouging usually only happens when a specific item is hard to find. That might happen in the beginning of the game depending on drop rates. Or people could just be jerks and gouge its a personal choise. Depending on the people the start the game will depend on what prices will be.

OdinTyler
Feb 12, 2006, 11:04 AM
Like Ive said before, there NEEDS to be price limits. Otherwise, MANY people will raise the prices ridiculously high. No item in an RPG will cost millions upon millions of (fill in name of currency). There should be a set range & anything beyond it, is, well...suspicious. Price gouging can ruin a game quick if its not stopped before its started. I hope that was taken into consideration. I pray it was, that is.

Tystys
Feb 12, 2006, 11:30 AM
It better have been taken into consideration. If it wasn't, it's castrating time.

F-o-x
Feb 12, 2006, 11:35 AM
Limits would be a good idea... In FFXI I had bought a tanking sword that was pretty popular. When I bought it, it was about 300-500,000 gil, a few months later when I came back to the game I was shocked to find the price of the sword at over three million gil, as looked over the Auction House (AH) many other item prices had increased as well.

Which is why I hope they do the right thing when it comes to PSU's economy (if there will even be one at all). I'm really glad I'm not in charge of making a decision like this, because I seriously have no idea how to go about it. I've said before I'd like the economy to be exactly as PSO's was, but I realize now that a monetary economy could add more depth to the game.

However... I have no desire to engage in the wretched activitiy known as "farming". I was forced to do it in FFXI, and I already wasted countless hours of my life on it.

OdinTyler
Feb 12, 2006, 06:39 PM
LOL I hear ya, Fox. I did farming on EQOA & it was a pain in the ass. Also, price gouges were far worse on EQOA than FFXI. A few of the rarest items go for (last I checked): 100 million tunar+. There has to be set limits from the beginning. Nothing should be worth 1mil or more. This then begs the question: How much cash can a PSU bank hold? If its the standard 999,999 then thats the max an item COULD be. Naturally, the max on an auction should be cheaper.

littleman2347
Feb 13, 2006, 07:27 AM
Like i sayed most items will be cheaper in the beginning.

hypersaxon
Feb 13, 2006, 11:14 AM
On 2006-02-12 08:35, F-o-x wrote:
Limits would be a good idea... In FFXI I had bought a tanking sword that was pretty popular. When I bought it, it was about 300-500,000 gil, a few months later when I came back to the game I was shocked to find the price of the sword at over three million gil, as looked over the Auction House (AH) many other item prices had increased as well.

Which is why I hope they do the right thing when it comes to PSU's economy (if there will even be one at all). I'm really glad I'm not in charge of making a decision like this, because I seriously have no idea how to go about it. I've said before I'd like the economy to be exactly as PSO's was, but I realize now that a monetary economy could add more depth to the game.

However... I have no desire to engage in the wretched activitiy known as "farming". I was forced to do it in FFXI, and I already wasted countless hours of my life on it.

Prices rising like that is caused by more than price gouging. FFXI has had a lot of problems with gil sellers who farm gil and sometimes items, and sells it online to people for real money. This causes inflation and this is a main reason why prices go really high in that game.

But like I said before, price gouging doesn't work if people don't buy what you're selling. If you sell things at a price that no one can afford, your item will be returned to your Mog House and then you have to put it back on the Auction House, paying another fee in the process. Basically, people will be constantly paying a lot of money to put their ridiculously high priced items on there, and if it doesn't sell, all they're doing is loosing money.

Of course, in a game like PSU, you tend to get lots of money compared to FFXI, so in that game it may be nice to have a limit on how much meseta you can ask for. But then it wouldn't be an economy controlled only by the users, since Sonic Team would be coming in and altering things. Anyway, not sure what the best course of action would be. It's kinda risky both ways I guess, so I'll leave it up to Sonic Team to come up with something.