PDA

View Full Version : You know what customizable clothing might mean?

HatMaster
Feb 14, 2006, 02:00 AM
Fashion fads. Trends. Whatever you want to call it. Think about it. So far, we have no idea whether or not clothes will actually carry stats, but for now, let's assume they don't. Even without that, eventually, some piece of clothing is going to appear on PSU and be a big hit. I can see it now. Think a pre-Christmas Macy's; stores crowded with people trying to get that hot new boot, or slick new shirt and glove set. "You're still wearing the old purple pants? Ugh, that is so last update!"

Get enough people together, and they're going to start deciding what's "trendy" and not, right? I'm no fashion-person, but the fact that this game allows this possibility is kinda exciting.

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Feb 14, 2006, 02:03 AM
I hate fashion trends... In fact, I plan on picking my starting outfit based on what I think other people WONT pick...

F-o-x
Feb 14, 2006, 06:42 AM
If there are fashon trends I'm going to completely ignore them. Because of the fact that this is a game it gives me even less (Heck practically no reason at all) of a reason to care what people think of what I wear. I'm going to pick what I think my character looks good in.

Grigori
Feb 14, 2006, 06:59 AM
I'm more concerned with my stats and weapons then how I look to others :/

littleman2347
Feb 14, 2006, 07:16 AM
ya who would care about a ingame fashon trend anyway

Uncle_bob
Feb 14, 2006, 08:02 AM
On 2006-02-14 04:16, littleman2347 wrote:
ya who would care about a ingame fashon trend anyway

More than you would think.

Kent
Feb 14, 2006, 08:04 AM
...Really, there weren't fashion trends in PSO, but it had somewhat customizable clothing, too. I don't see it happening here.

That, and people pretty much already design their characters as an extension of their personality, not by what's in-style at the moment. Well... Most of us, anyway. :/

gokruel
Feb 14, 2006, 08:42 AM
i don't care about fashion trends i just want my character to look diffrent from everyone else so whatever i want i will wear no matter if somebody criticises it.

OdinTyler
Feb 14, 2006, 10:46 AM
Well, its inevitable when ppl say what looks good or bad in a game when you have the ability to alter the appearance of your char. Its rampant in EQOA & Im sure it has happened in WoW & FFXI. Me personally, Im going to wear what I want to wear. The option to buy or even find dropped clothes allows me to have my guys wear what I want. Im definitely looking for unique looks for each of my chars, but, it will be something I choose for them, not cause nameless ppl say so.

Dre_o
Feb 14, 2006, 04:19 PM
I'm most likely going to stay with a standard style of clothes, pants, t-shir, and over shirt. But it is guaranteed that there will be AT LEAST some people who are obsessed with fashion. Those are the people who respond to the question of what they are going to do with the mission's reward with: "Uh Duh! I'm going shopping!"

Atayin
Feb 14, 2006, 05:07 PM
I plan on making sure that my character looks cool by MY definition. I don't see myself trying to impress anybody. Fashion trends in video games and online communities that have avatars are just sad.. I saw it in Gunbound and Ragnarok among a few others.

Of course, some outfits just look generally much better then others, in which case you'll see a lot of people wearing the same thing. That's only natural, but a large part of the appeal of an outfit leaves for me when I see more then a few other people wearing it.

hypersaxon
Feb 14, 2006, 05:46 PM
I'm not worried at all about people wearing the same outfit as me. I'll just wear whatever I feel like wearing for the day. I'll buy every article of clothing, regardless of what it looks like, and whatever I'm in the mood for, that's what I'll wear.

I can see how people will want to wear certain clothes or have a certain hairdo (I remember seeing TONS of HUmars using the spiky hair lol) but I don't think it will be too much of a problem that you'll start to see a million clone characters. There's so many customization options in this game that you'd be hard-pressed to find a character that looks "exactly" like you. If you want to be unique, of course you could look and see what the trends are and defy them, or you could go with the flow if you wanted to, or you could just pick something you like. Either choice is just fine, just as long as you're happy with your character.

Kent
Feb 14, 2006, 06:02 PM
On 2006-02-14 07:46, OdinTyler wrote:
Well, its inevitable when ppl say what looks good or bad in a game when you have the ability to alter the appearance of your char. Its rampant in EQOA & Im sure it has happened in WoW & FFXI.

Of course, people will judge what looks good and what doesn't. In FFXI, though, people don't judge another charatcter by looks, but instead, by the effectiveness and how well the armor suits the job's role in a party.

Although, in FFXI, your character's look is dependant on their equipment, and their equipment usually determines how well they perform in a party, good or otherwise, which is different from PSO/U.

Let's just hope we don't have a PSU clan called "Fashion Police"... And hope they don't all talk with lisps, and critique peoples' rooms, too... :/

DizzyDi
Feb 14, 2006, 06:29 PM
I can imagine fashion trends in PSU. The folks here SAY they'll make a character that will be unique, but you know that if you see a cool lookin' outfit you might wanna try it on your char. I know I will. I won't follow a fashion trend just cause its a fashion trend, but if I see something that looks good on another character, I might wanna try it out for myself, and if it looks good I just may stick with it.

Sgt_Shligger
Feb 14, 2006, 06:56 PM
i won't go with any trends. I take long periods of time to make any characters outfit. i always plan that I won't change the outfit ever. The only thing taht makes me change the outfit is a new weapon, power, or the like.

Neith
Feb 14, 2006, 07:04 PM
I dont care what any 'fashion trends' are, hell, I don't follow them in real life. Knowing me, I'll make my character look as gothic as possible, or dress her like Uriko from Bloody Roar- haven't decided yet. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Grigori
Feb 14, 2006, 07:34 PM
Trivial point, but isn't "gothic" a fashion trend?

Hopefully the clothing line becomes that expansive though. I'd love to be able to find Gothic Lolita or J-street fashion gear.

Dre_o
Feb 14, 2006, 07:36 PM
On 2006-02-14 16:34, Grigori wrote:
Trivial point, but isn't "gothic" a fashion trend?

Oh so true. oh so true. We can only hope that the outfits cost a good amount of money, that is if money is worth anything in PSU, unlike PSO.

Grigori
Feb 14, 2006, 07:47 PM
They should release event based clothing as well. Santa hats on christmas, Pumpkin heads on haloween, maybe even Sega character related clothing, like...a Billy Hatcher hat :3

Tystys
Feb 14, 2006, 07:56 PM
On 2006-02-14 16:47, Grigori wrote:
They should release event based clothing as well. Santa hats on christmas, Pumpkin heads on haloween, maybe even Sega character related clothing, like...a Billy Hatcher hat :3

They are doing so. I'm gonna be wearing long friggin trench coats all the way.

OdinTyler
Feb 14, 2006, 08:03 PM
On 2006-02-14 15:02, Kent wrote:
Let's just hope we don't have a PSU clan called "Fashion Police"... And hope they don't all talk with lisps, and critique peoples' rooms, too... :/

LOL Well, I wont invite many to my room anyway. Maybe a couple friends & definitely all clan members are invited as my main's room is our official guild hall.

Kent
Feb 14, 2006, 08:43 PM
On 2006-02-14 17:03, OdinTyler wrote:

On 2006-02-14 15:02, Kent wrote:

LOL Well, I wont invite many to my room anyway. Maybe a couple friends & definitely all clan members are invited as my main's room is our official guild hall.

Hmm... There's an interesting idea. Team leader possibly making his personal room into the team's guild hall. But... Didn't they say only six people can be in a player's room at once?

Atayin
Feb 14, 2006, 09:05 PM
On 2006-02-14 17:43, Kent wrote:

Hmm... There's an interesting idea. Team leader possibly making his personal room into the team's guild hall. But... Didn't they say only six people can be in a player's room at once?

True, true. It is an interesting idea. I guess we will have our own private areas to use for things like guildhalls, why didn't I think of that? Even if it is only six per room, you can still use a small guildhall for it's most important purposes like leader meetings and so forth.
Looks like there will be a lot of possibilities. I guess that's what's making PSU especially interesting to speculate on.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atayin on 2006-02-14 18:06 ]</font>

littleman2347
Feb 14, 2006, 09:48 PM
When people say your cloths look bad or thats old fasion on a game that means that person has no life that is saying that.

Zarcon
Feb 14, 2006, 10:13 PM
Shame you can't tint your clothes pieces a custom colour too...unless you can and I missed that bit of info.
If you could then you'd almost be guarenteed to look unique...

Kent
Feb 14, 2006, 10:14 PM
On 2006-02-14 18:48, littleman2347 wrote:
When people say your cloths look bad or thats old fasion on a game that means that person has no life that is saying that.

...Either that, or they just think your character is ugly as hell.

Nisshoku
Feb 14, 2006, 10:23 PM
Queer Eye for the PSU guy? I could see that happening.

As for clothing, I'll pretty much go with what looks good to me, instead of others. That, and I don't think Casts even *wear* clothes.

Zelutos
Feb 14, 2006, 10:40 PM
I'm going to wear everything that everyone else doesn't want to wear http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

CyberKranz
Feb 14, 2006, 10:50 PM
Is underwear confirmed yet because if it is I bet we'll see a bunch of people just wearing underwear

Kent
Feb 14, 2006, 11:04 PM
Check out some of the character creation videos. At least one of them shows a newman girl before you put overgarments on her (which, apparently, are optional).

littleman2347
Feb 15, 2006, 06:24 AM
sagging low like a black man.

Tystys
Feb 15, 2006, 08:48 AM
On 2006-02-14 19:23, -Nisshoku- wrote:
Queer Eye for the PSU guy? I could see that happening.

As for clothing, I'll pretty much go with what looks good to me, instead of others. That, and I don't think Casts even *wear* clothes.

He beat me to it! Damnit!

lostinseganet
Feb 15, 2006, 12:06 PM
On 2006-02-13 23:00, HatMaster wrote:
Fashion fads. Trends. Whatever you want to call it. Think about it. So far, we have no idea whether or not clothes will actually carry stats, but for now, let's assume they don't. Even without that, eventually, some piece of clothing is going to appear on PSU and be a big hit. I can see it now. Think a pre-Christmas Macy's; stores crowded with people trying to get that hot new boot, or slick new shirt and glove set. "You're still wearing the old purple pants? Ugh, that is so last update!"

Get enough people together, and they're going to start deciding what's "trendy" and not, right? I'm no fashion-person, but the fact that this game allows this possibility is kinda exciting.

Though I expect to be as unique as possible. I do expect fashion trends to happen on holidays. On christmas people will wear festive clothing. On Halloween people will wear scary clothing. Stuff like that I like, but regular fashion trends only lead to bloated egoes. I hope they have an updater that tells you what others are wearing so you can be more unique.

OdinTyler
Feb 15, 2006, 12:10 PM
Well, thats easy. Wear Halloween costumes on Christmas & vice versa. Thats a quick way to be different. LOL I totally agree with you tho. Like fashion is more important than practicality. Yeah, its good to look nice, but, sometimes you gotta wear what works in battle. Besides, having your char look cool doesnt make you better than anyone else. I just hope too many egos from past games dont appear on PSU. Im just glad to see so many ppl agree with the customization that it should just be fun, not cause cliques.

Blackwaltz-R
Feb 15, 2006, 04:32 PM
The fashion won't be an issue at all. There are people who wear what "looks cool" and then there are the people who just chose something that isn't too extravagant. The same way people chose their names, with little thought or taste http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Its good for people not to care what others think because if people did care then people like more than likely be on their case all the time.

littleman2347
Feb 15, 2006, 05:38 PM
hooker suit

OdinTyler
Feb 15, 2006, 05:41 PM
On 2006-02-15 14:38, littleman2347 wrote:
hooker suit

I cant speak for anyone else, but, I choose my char names as reflective of their character & personality. Looks will of course reflect that too, based on their own unique culture. Something like the above however...not something Id consider tasteful.

littleman2347
Feb 15, 2006, 07:08 PM
same sort of i base it on how i feel

OdinTyler
Feb 15, 2006, 09:07 PM
So you feel like a hooker? LOL Whatever makes sense to you I guess...

_Tek_
Feb 16, 2006, 04:26 AM
I was hopping that colors and patterns would be customizable for the clothes. But it seems there are about 3 color schemes for each article of clothing.

Zarbolord
Feb 16, 2006, 06:33 AM
I'll just wear what makes my character look most like a magic user (and make him come out of the crowd, lol). I think fashion is going to be a mania for some people, but I think it won't really matter, it's their problem, not ours.

*Hat guy, I think you're more into fashion than you think, lol. You started this topic.*

littleman2347
Feb 16, 2006, 07:20 AM
No i was just saying that find hookers in a game walkn the streets at night.

OdinTyler
Feb 16, 2006, 09:43 AM
On 2006-02-16 01:26, _Tek_ wrote:
I was hopping that colors and patterns would be customizable for the clothes. But it seems there are about 3 color schemes for each article of clothing.

Not true. I saw a pic with a color pallette. Much more than 3 colors per piece. As for patterns, Im sure theres more than a few choices. I havent seen that for a fact, just guessing.

Blackwaltz-R
Feb 16, 2006, 11:40 AM
Excatly how long does it take for you to determine how you feel at a time. lol

I'd say arounf 95% of the names people choose to use have atleast one of the following:

Noun
Adjective
Verb
Adverb

The name I use on this forum which I stopped using about 3 years have an adjective and a noun which I felt expressed lack of creativity and dropped. Using a color alone in a name is just horrid along with the fact I got it from a FF game but since it wasn't a commonly used name I decided to use it.

The worst of the worst are the romanji names >.<

Scopes
Feb 16, 2006, 04:26 PM
I'm going to hope ST will have the class not to do any S&M. The punks can wear normal stuff >.>

(starts chanting "trenchcoats")

Anyway, anybody know if you can have different clothing in extra mode? Or if it'll be like epi 1&2 where you can change the color, but not the type.

Kano-Okami
Feb 16, 2006, 04:47 PM
On 2006-02-16 13:26, Scopes wrote:
Anyway, anybody know if you can have different clothing in extra mode? Or if it'll be like epi 1&2 where you can change the color, but not the type.

My guess is that you will be able to buy new clothing ingame, maybe with Ethan or with your own created character if you can traverse the cities.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kano-Okami on 2006-02-16 13:48 ]</font>

Kano-Okami
Feb 16, 2006, 04:52 PM
Now that I think about it, Fashion was the driving force behind most of my weapon choices on pso. I'd actually refuse to use a weapon it if clashed with my outfit! LOL
Its going to be an even tougher decision this time around, seeing as there are more clothe options and mostlikely a whole slew of new weapons to sift through and claim as your own.

Scopes
Feb 16, 2006, 05:41 PM
Weapons gotta match the mag man, GOTTA!

Kano-Okami
Feb 16, 2006, 05:52 PM
you should see my fonewm then, a full yellow set, from his yellow sato down to his black & yellow knee-highs.
I wonder if clothing color can be changed after the purchase or would you have to buy another pair in a different color..

OdinTyler
Feb 16, 2006, 07:48 PM
On 2006-02-16 14:41, Scopes wrote:
Weapons gotta match the mag man, GOTTA!

Idk about that necessarily, but, 2 have at least 2 things match looks cool. Sometimes SectID & mag, sometimes wep & clothing. If I have at least 2 things match, its looking good. But thats after using practical stuff ad nauseum & I need a change of pace. Right now, my RAmar is dressed in red & black, has a Red Nidra mag & uses a Ruby Bullet. Alot of red going on. Red normally isnt my color but on him, it looks kickass!

DeathMachine
Feb 16, 2006, 11:53 PM
I wonder if they'll decide to allow Casts to wear pants after they purchase them, or will there be a Body Shop! Just like a shiny new paint job to cover those battle scars! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

_Tek_
Feb 17, 2006, 01:51 AM
On 2006-02-16 06:43, OdinTyler wrote:
Not true. I saw a pic with a color pallette. Much more than 3 colors per piece. As for patterns, Im sure theres more than a few choices. I havent seen that for a fact, just guessing.

Perhaps I just didn't watch close enough on the video, it went by fast. Perhaps the player scrolled through a jacket, tried a few colors, then tried a different shirt, then scrolled some more colors.

OdinTyler
Feb 17, 2006, 10:29 AM
Actually, Im referring to a pic. Ill see if I can find it for ya.

OK here it is:

http://www.pso-world.com/images/psu/news/02-10-06/02-10-06-11.jpg

It shows a few colors around. Maybe mixing colors produces other colors? I cant translate it, so, cant say for sure. It does make one wonder tho.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OdinTyler on 2006-02-17 07:33 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Feb 17, 2006, 10:36 AM
On 2006-02-14 17:43, Kent wrote:

Actually, the strange thing is, I think they said you can invite up to 6 OTHER people. I found that odd as the max for a team is 6. Why would a 7th be allowed? Maybe its a mistranslation & 6 is still the max. But yeah, on my main, her room will be the official guild hall as she is the founder & leader of the clan. Ill show off my other rooms for my other chars, but, theyd be more personally oriented for those specific chars.

_Tek_
Feb 17, 2006, 05:18 PM
Oh thanks, now that explains alot to me.
Also that really kicks ass, dual colors.
(those clothes are so casual compared to pso ha)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Tek_ on 2006-02-17 14:19 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Feb 17, 2006, 05:30 PM
Casual, maybe. But, you also get variety. I mean if you want to dress up or dress down, you seem to have that option. No need to be stuck looking like your neighbor's clone.

DizzyDi
Feb 17, 2006, 06:39 PM
On 2006-02-16 20:53, DeathMachine wrote:
I wonder if they'll decide to allow Casts to wear pants after they purchase them, or will there be a Body Shop! Just like a shiny new paint job to cover those battle scars! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I think you'll have to buy clothes according to your race. Everyone probably won't be able to wear the same thing. Newman's seem to have that whole fuedal japanese priest thing going, so the clothes they're able to buy might reflect that and a couple other different styles. Cast are probably stuck with attactments to thier body parts or complete body changes or something.

Atayin
Feb 17, 2006, 09:16 PM
Oh god. It'd be too freakin hilarious to run around with baggy pants on and a hoodie with my Cast. It would look funny, but only in the most obscure way possible. I really think that clothes will only be according to your race.

OdinTyler
Feb 17, 2006, 09:18 PM
On 2006-02-17 15:39, DizzyDi wrote:
I think you'll have to buy clothes according to your race. Everyone probably won't be able to wear the same thing. Newman's seem to have that whole fuedal japanese priest thing going, so the clothes they're able to buy might reflect that and a couple other different styles. Cast are probably stuck with attactments to thier body parts or complete body changes or something.

Actually, Newmen dont have just the Buddhist look (thats what it is btw). Theres a pretty diverse look between Karen, Mirei, & the one who is most likely Lutz. I do happen to like that look. Its just good to see youre not locked into a specific image. God, if I gotta see jester outfits anymore...

kassy
Feb 18, 2006, 07:40 AM
PSO had fashion trends in a sense, well, there were the most popular costumes, so you'd see alot of clone types.

I usually went for the least popular colours, haha, made my chars more noticable.

Can't wait to see what clothing styles Newmans can have.

Pseudo
Feb 18, 2006, 08:00 AM
I hope theres options for accessories like glasses, id like to own a pair of kickass Goggles. But as long as theres plenty of Dark clothes so i can mix and match i`ll be happy.

kassy
Feb 18, 2006, 08:23 AM
Glasses and googles for every class/type would kick ass, they were pretty crummy in PSO as part of the FOnewm's hair choice.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kassy on 2006-02-18 05:24 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Feb 18, 2006, 09:16 AM
On 2006-02-18 05:00, Pseudo wrote:
I hope theres options for accessories like glasses, id like to own a pair of kickass Goggles. But as long as theres plenty of Dark clothes so i can mix and match i`ll be happy.

Ive already been hoping for accessories. Even battle damage would be pretty cool. RAmarls had scars. Maybe optional scars or other noticeable images to carry over would be cool.

Grigori
Feb 18, 2006, 01:21 PM
Hats will most likely be implemented since one of the battle videos had a newman wearing a Nights-esque hat.

OdinTyler
Feb 18, 2006, 01:42 PM
In other words, theyre trying to sneak FOnewms back in. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

_Tek_
Feb 18, 2006, 06:21 PM
Well, there was the large amount of short spiky haired humars with a terrible attitutude. That was kind of a trend.

OdinTyler
Feb 18, 2006, 07:21 PM
Ugh, dont remind me. Im sick of the DBZ clones. Its gonna be worse now than ever cause you can get even closer to looking like those chars.

hypersaxon
Feb 18, 2006, 09:45 PM
On 2006-02-18 05:23, kassy wrote:
Glasses and googles for every class/type would kick ass, they were pretty crummy in PSO as part of the FOnewm's hair choice.

I made a pretty decent looking FOnewm, I used the hair with the dark glasses and the hair going down the sides. If you could replace his outfit with a black leather jacket or something cool, he'd look a lot better of course http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

HUnewearl_Meira
Feb 18, 2006, 10:46 PM
On 2006-02-14 19:23, -Nisshoku- wrote:

They just get a fresh new coat of woad from time to time.

_Tek_
Feb 18, 2006, 11:27 PM
woad? more like wood, for simulated wood finish? XD

I just hope you get a choice to not have your cast so mechanical & blocky looking. I'd want mine to look similar to the body of the ninja of MGS. Sleeker looking.

OdinTyler
Feb 18, 2006, 11:45 PM
On 2006-02-18 20:27, _Tek_ wrote:
woad? more like wood, for simulated wood finish? XD

I just hope you get a choice to not have your cast so mechanical & blocky looking. I'd want mine to look similar to the body of the ninja of MGS. Sleeker looking.

From what Ive seen, thats very much true. You can go for a typical machine looking cast or even a more humanoid defined one, including human-looking face. I gotta say they look pretty good.

kassy
Feb 21, 2006, 08:03 AM
On 2006-02-18 18:45, hypersaxon wrote:

On 2006-02-18 05:23, kassy wrote:

I made a pretty decent looking FOnewm, I used the hair with the dark glasses and the hair going down the sides. If you could replace his outfit with a black leather jacket or something cool, he'd look a lot better of course http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Yeah my FOnewm was pretty cool looking I thought, the only thing which bothered other people was the fat-ass on FOnewms, haha I didn't mind, you just have to proportion him right http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Can't wait to see how customisable male Newmans are in PSU.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kassy on 2006-02-21 05:04 ]</font>