PDA

View Full Version : Which class will you give the most effort to?

SekotheFOmar
Feb 14, 2006, 04:19 PM
Which class do you want to be known for?

hypersaxon
Feb 14, 2006, 06:04 PM
I'm not sure yet, because I'm not entirely sure how the system works. If the game lets you level up all three skill types to the maximum, then I'd pick all three. But if they have a limit to how much total leveling up you can do, like if you level up one skill too much you can't level up other skills as high, then I'd probably focus mainly on Hunter skills.

ColonD
Feb 14, 2006, 06:22 PM
I'm making a main Cast; Mutation Ivori
(Or if that name is to long, just Ivori or Mutation Ivo)
So thus, lemme get to what I was saying, she'll mainly be hunter/whacking type with a side of sniper.
So, whack-gun
And since you can make four character per online file;
Solo-magic with a side sword.
A human for sure
A beast... maybe, or someone completely magic/teched out.

DizzyDi
Feb 14, 2006, 06:27 PM
Haven't decided yet. All three look enticing. I want all my characters to be known throught the PSU world.

Kupi
Feb 14, 2006, 07:46 PM
Ahhh, the omnipresent "what class are you going to use" topic. Oh well, I'm not tired of talking about my plans yet, sooooo...

My main character will be a Newman with absolutely everything in Force. If there's a cap on levels and you get more levels/points/whatever than you need to max out one Type, I'll probably put the rest in Hunter just to get access to Slicers. Slicers make a happy Kupi. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

For alternates, I plan to have another Newman, balanced across all types with an emphasis on Force (Sabers and Spears from Hunter, Rifles from Ranger, and Ice, Earth, Darkness, and support (not healing) Techs from Force). Then, two Beasts; one the lithe/agile type, emphasizing Daggers, Claws, and Mechguns (split Hunter/Ranger), and the other the hulking, powerful type using Knuckles, Swords, and Axes (everything in Hunter).

I really hope the character creation engine is deep enough to handle everything I've thought out. XD

Grigori
Feb 14, 2006, 07:54 PM
I have an idea of what kind of character I want.

A male beast kid with ranger/force expertice. Ideally, thats what Im aiming for, but Im going to go through trials of various class mixes in offline mode first to see what works and what doesnt.

Tystys
Feb 14, 2006, 07:57 PM
A kick ass newman FTW.
I'm going all 3.

OdinTyler
Feb 14, 2006, 08:00 PM
On 2006-02-14 15:04, hypersaxon wrote:
I'm not sure yet, because I'm not entirely sure how the system works. If the game lets you level up all three skill types to the maximum, then I'd pick all three. But if they have a limit to how much total leveling up you can do, like if you level up one skill too much you can't level up other skills as high, then I'd probably focus mainly on Hunter skills.

You cant max all 3 types. What would be the point then? LOL You choose your type as what you would like to major or specialize in. You can always add points elsewhere but youll have 1 maybe 2 focuses.

Saraphim
Feb 14, 2006, 08:14 PM
Ranger all the way! I loved playing as a Cast, but its hard in the Ultimate mode, especially if none of my friends are on, because they can't cast magic. But now even Casts can use techniques so they can heal themselves, so I will be a RAcast (if that class name is the same in PSU) for sure.

OdinTyler
Feb 14, 2006, 08:16 PM
On 2006-02-14 17:14, Saraphim wrote:
Ranger all the way! I loved playing as a Cast, but its hard in the Ultimate mode, especially if none of my friends are on, because they can't cast magic. But now even Casts can use techniques so they can heal themselves, so I will be a RAcast (if that class name is the same in PSU) for sure.

Youd just be called a "Ranger-Type" Cast. If you want to call yourself RAcast cause its what youre used to, ok. But an RTC is what youd be. We know that casts have MST. We dont know for a fact that they can use techs. Its just most likely. I figure it has something to do with their SUV, but, hopefully its more. Id like to see them have techs that no other race has (mechanically oriented). Thus, youd have a reason to play as one.

Saraphim
Feb 14, 2006, 08:23 PM
On 2006-02-14 17:16, OdinTyler wrote:
Id like to see them have techs that no other race has (mechanically oriented). Thus, youd have a reason to play as one.

That would be great, as I would like to see the same thing. I never even considered the MST being applied to just the SUV-Weapon skill. I shall consider my horizons broadend http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Kent
Feb 14, 2006, 08:47 PM
I'm going to go for a combination of Hunter and Force types, mainly.

At least, that's what I'm thinking currently (FOmar, ftw). However, I may throw in some Ranger levels for good measure... Or make a balance of all three. I like hybridized characters, but I'm not a big fan of ranged combat when I can get up close, I'll come to a decision sooner or later...

SekotheFOmar
Feb 14, 2006, 09:27 PM
Ranger all the way! I loved playing as a Cast, but its hard in the Ultimate mode, especially if none of my friends are on, because they can't cast magic. But now even Casts can use techniques so they can heal themselves, so I will be a RAcast (if that class name is the same in PSU) for sure. I didn't know that casts can cast now, lol.

My main character will be a Newman with absolutely everything in Force. If there's a cap on levels and you get more levels/points/whatever than you need to max out one Type, I'll probably put the rest in Hunter just to get access to Slicers. Slicers make a happy Kupi.

My main will also be a Newman full force, gotta keep the Newman's tradition going : D. Then a human that will be a image of me. The human is going to be either force hunter or force ranger, depends if I don't crack before PSU even comes out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SekotheFOmar on 2006-02-14 18:31 ]</font>

Tact
Feb 14, 2006, 09:37 PM
I'm planning on being a Ranger-type, but with some Hunter proficiency, just in case.

And probably enough Force skill to be able to heal myself effectively.

Eclypse
Feb 14, 2006, 10:20 PM
I will focus on my tech and melee skill just like Newmans have always been known for.

hypersaxon
Feb 14, 2006, 10:57 PM
On 2006-02-14 17:00, OdinTyler wrote:

On 2006-02-14 15:04, hypersaxon wrote:

You cant max all 3 types. What would be the point then? LOL You choose your type as what you would like to major or specialize in. You can always add points elsewhere but youll have 1 maybe 2 focuses.

Well when I thought of the idea, I was thinking along the lines of Final Fantasy XI, where you in fact can max out all the various jobs in the game and switch between them whenever you feel like it. So I was thinking of Hunter/Ranger/Force being like seperate jobs with their own seperate levels, with the only difference being your main character has a base level that doesn't get changed when you switch jobs.

So choosing an expertice, the way I was thinking it, would be like switching classes in FFXI. Of course, we don't know exactly how it works yet, which is why I said I was unsure. I'm hoping that it works that way anyway.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hypersaxon on 2006-02-14 19:58 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Feb 15, 2006, 01:19 AM
How I described it IS how it works. Check on the main page & youll see the link for it. It will describe the Type set ups. The class system in FFXI is far different. Its actually a job system that was started way back in the very underrated FFV. Totally different concept completely.

SekotheFOmar
Feb 15, 2006, 05:49 AM
Ya the game wouldn't be fun if you can max out all 3 classes. Ruins the fun for people who join after 7 months the game is out. But on the game ragnarok online you can't max all skills either.

TheFluffiest
Feb 15, 2006, 09:16 AM
My main character will be a Newman with absolutely everything in Force. If there's a cap on levels and you get more levels/points/whatever than you need to max out one Type, I'll probably put the rest in Hunter just to get access to Slicers. Slicers make a happy Kupi.

This post made me happy, Kupi is totally my new best friend now. Bring back Slicers! Newman Forces for the win! Arrrf! ^.^

Genoa
Feb 15, 2006, 11:16 AM
FTC ! hahah... yeah right >_> Someone will pull it off though...
I'm probably going to focus on F/HTN and a R/HTC.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2006-02-15 08:17 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Feb 15, 2006, 12:07 PM
On 2006-02-15 08:16, MegamanX wrote:
FTC ! hahah... yeah right >_> Someone will pull it off though...
I'm probably going to focus on F/HTN and a R/HTC.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2006-02-15 08:17 ]</font>

Seems my abbreviation has caught on...

Btw, Im still waiting on your char profile, bub.

Kent
Feb 15, 2006, 12:10 PM
On 2006-02-15 02:49, SekotheFOmar wrote:
Ya the game wouldn't be fun if you can max out all 3 classes. Ruins the fun for people who join after 7 months the game is out. But on the game ragnarok online you can't max all skills either.

And RO isn't fun in the first place, either. :/

I'm guessing you'll be able to choose a level up type apon gaining a level, much like Sword of Mana, and then there will be an overall level cap, for your character.

OdinTyler
Feb 15, 2006, 12:13 PM
Well Kent, I generally dont tend to agree with you, but, I do now. Each type will have levels & skills that go with. Its flexible enough that you can learn from all 3 types but potentially only max 1 maybe 2 types total. This still doesnt count towards one's char lvl which of course will have a cap (whatever that might be).

Kent
Feb 15, 2006, 02:18 PM
That's not quite what I meant... I meant more like, say, for example, the level cap is 200.

I'm thinking, for instance, you could take 100 levels of Hunter, and 100 of Force, or 150 of Ranger and 50 of Force; either way, you'd hit the level cap.

That way, your character has an overall level, which increases each time you level up... But when you do level up, you choose a level up type, then it applies those stat bonuses to your character. I don't know about skills or anything, though. There will probably be weapons that require x amount of levels in x type, though.

hypersaxon
Feb 15, 2006, 02:19 PM
Okay, I've searched as much of this site as I could for more info on skill leveling, and the only thing I could come up with (other than the Class Customization thing that I already read) is this, from the PSU FAQ:

4.15: Can I raise my stats individually? Or is it pre-determined, like PSO?
A: Some information has recently come to light on the stat raising procedure. Heroes in PSU have their 'stats' split into three areas. These are HU-type (Hunter: Melee fighting, swords, claws, sabers and so on), RA-type (Ranger: Ranged weapons, such as rifles and shots), and FO-type (Force: Techniques, and strangely, the Bow and Arrow). As you continue to fight utilising either of these methods, you wil acrue 'points' in these areas, which can be exchanged at the 'Type Counter' in order race your proficiency in said areas. You have free choice over what you decide to raise - but the 'caps' or limitations of each statistic are not know. One would fathom that your initial choice of race will be the governing factor as to what exactly you can achieve with this system.

From what the FAQ says, it's unknown how the game caps each skill, but it's assumed that it's based on your race. Which would make sense, so certain races don't become too powerful with certain skills. For example, Casts would probably be able to level Hunter and Ranger skills pretty high, but there'd be a lower cap for Force skills. Newms, on the other hand, would have a much higher cap for Force but a lower cap for Hunter and Ranger. Humans, since they're balanced all around, would be able to level up each skill to a decent level, but the three other classes would be able to surpass them in certain areas.

It seems more like speculation than fact, but highly probably in order to keep characters from being too powerful in categories that their race is suppose to be lacking in.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hypersaxon on 2006-02-15 11:37 ]</font>

hypersaxon
Feb 15, 2006, 02:24 PM
On 2006-02-15 11:18, Kent wrote:
That's not quite what I meant... I meant more like, say, for example, the level cap is 200.

I'm thinking, for instance, you could take 100 levels of Hunter, and 100 of Force, or 150 of Ranger and 50 of Force; either way, you'd hit the level cap.

That way, your character has an overall level, which increases each time you level up... But when you do level up, you choose a level up type, then it applies those stat bonuses to your character. I don't know about skills or anything, though. There will probably be weapons that require x amount of levels in x type, though.

I believe Odin is right on that one, your main level is seperate from your skill levels. Your main level determines your base stats, and leveling up your skills adds to certain stats and allows you to use a wider variety of weapons.

Also, leveling up your skills isn't done by leveling, when you complete missions you are given points based on what type of skills you used during the mission, and then you go to a certain place in town to upgrade.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hypersaxon on 2006-02-15 11:36 ]</font>

butzopower
Feb 17, 2006, 02:17 AM
Has anyone suggested that there might be more than just those three classes? Maybe there will be hybrids and things that specialize in specific stats/spells/weapons. The screenshot showed a list like category.

I for one would love to see references to old games. Maybe a Chaz build with a bonus to sabers and fire-based spells. Maybe even unlockable sets.

I really didn't analyze the screenshots much, but was there in fact a level base to each class? I imagined it would all be based off your level with your class changing the percents of everything. This way classes would be situational, kinda like in PSO challenge mode. Sometimes you can go all hunters, but there are other times it's almost impossible.

If someone else has thought this up, I'm sorry.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: butzopower on 2006-02-16 23:19 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Feb 17, 2006, 03:59 AM
Male newman about even on FO and HU, with somewhat more emphasis on FO. Melee FOing ftw.

Junito
Feb 26, 2006, 10:06 PM
I wish but that will never happen

Scopes
Feb 27, 2006, 12:31 AM
Hunter with some ranger skills for me. And enough force stuff to heal myself well.

In PSO, my main's a hunter, and he carries a Varista for two reasons, being 1) best gun I have he can use (sad, I know), and 2) It looks badass. ;P

ShinMaruku
Feb 27, 2006, 12:50 AM
One of my character who is a beast hunter with some guns. Gonna call him 50cent, and have some damn good times.

Alizar
Feb 27, 2006, 10:38 PM
Guns and blades are my specialties, wink, wink http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_ak.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_quickdraw.gif

_Tek_
Feb 28, 2006, 02:26 AM
The hunter>ranger is the simplest way to go. Powerful sword + mechs. Can't go wrong with that.

But mostly Hunter>ranger, as in more focus on the swords. This will be my human character Tek Lok.

But for the rest, focus on what their race is best at.

Zarbolord
Feb 28, 2006, 07:41 AM
Main: Fonewearl = full force
secondary: Fomar = force/hunter
third: Racaseal = full ranger
fourth: not know yet, maybe force beast? lol

OdinTyler
Feb 28, 2006, 10:52 AM
On 2006-02-16 23:17, butzopower wrote:
Has anyone suggested that there might be more than just those three classes? Maybe there will be hybrids and things that specialize in specific stats/spells/weapons.

Thats what we're kinda talking about. You choose 1 of 3 types: Hunter-Type, Force-Type, or Ranger-Type. From there, you can level up abilities in 1 of those 3 types & have the freedom to switch types, thus gaining levels in multiple abilities. This is how you have hybrids. Naturally, its going to be impossible to max out everything in all 3 types. Otherwise, why have types to begin with?

sunshade
Feb 28, 2006, 06:54 PM
its all about Hunter - Force yea yea!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sunshade on 2006-02-28 15:55 ]</font>

butzopower
Feb 28, 2006, 09:22 PM
On 2006-02-28 07:52, OdinTyler wrote:

On 2006-02-16 23:17, butzopower wrote:
Has anyone suggested that there might be more than just those three classes? Maybe there will be hybrids and things that specialize in specific stats/spells/weapons.

Thats what we're kinda talking about. You choose 1 of 3 types: Hunter-Type, Force-Type, or Ranger-Type. From there, you can level up abilities in 1 of those 3 types & have the freedom to switch types, thus gaining levels in multiple abilities. This is how you have hybrids. Naturally, its going to be impossible to max out everything in all 3 types. Otherwise, why have types to begin with?

I was more asking if we actually know if there will be class levels or not?

The way I imagine in it (or I guess hope it will be) is that much like in PSO there will be the base stats for each race based on level. Then, your class will change your stats based either on a % or adding/subtracting. Your class would also give you weapon limitations and what spells/skills you have.

Just using generic stats as an example, at level 5 your base stats are:
HP-60
TP-35
ATP-53
DEF-23

If you were Hunter, you're stats would then be:
HP- 60 * 125% -> 75
TP- 35 * 70% -> 25
ATP- 53 * 115% -> 61
DEF- 23 * 100% -> 23

You might only be able to equip sabers, swords, handguns, etc. Most of your weapon abilities would be skills.

On the other hand, if you switched to Force:
HP- 60 * 80% -> 48
TP- 35 * 150% -> 53
ATP- 53 * 70% -> 37
DEF- 23 * 70% -> 16

You have a basic set of spells, then.

Obviously with more stats this would be more balanced.

Having job levels seems just too permanent.

_Tek_
Mar 1, 2006, 12:51 AM
On 2006-02-28 07:52, OdinTyler wrote:
[quote]Naturally, its going to be impossible to max out everything in all 3 types. Otherwise, why have types to begin with?

The only hard part will be knowing how to divide those up exactly.

If I want a Beast Ill surely raise ATP the most, but if I want him to also be somewhat compitent in guns i'll want his DEX to be just high enough(or maybe even magic), otherwise it may end up being useless.

That's why I'll wait for the JP players to figure all that out so I dont have to make like "beta" characters.

hypersaxon
Mar 1, 2006, 03:14 AM
I wonder if you can dual wield a wand? Then I might go with a Saber/Wand dual wield combo. Slash the baddies with my Saber, then assign Resta to my Wand for healing.

OdinTyler
Mar 1, 2006, 08:44 AM
My theory is: if you can hold it in 1 hand, you can dual wield 2 of them. I also believe you can mix & match too (provided you have the right stats & points in the class types). The exceptions would be 2 handed weapons (naturally).