PDA

View Full Version : If we look at this delay a bit more carefully...

PrinceBrightstar
Feb 21, 2006, 09:43 AM
Here's what we know.

1. Delayed to 2006 TBA
2. Rumors of Xbox 360 release
3. Already delayed once before
4. Rumors of cross compatibility with PS2 and PC version

Simply put, if sega really is delaying for Xbox 360, then what this means is that everything needs to be programmed very carefully, and everything needs to be in the game on the PS2 and PC version. All of the files must be virtually the same, otherwise weird bugs may pop up...

Which means english language file will most likely be included on the JP release.

Ryna
Feb 21, 2006, 09:47 AM
On 2006-02-21 06:43, Jonathan_F wrote:
4. Rumors of cross compatibility with PS2 and PC version

That isn't a rumor. Cross compatibility has been confirmed by official sources.

PrinceBrightstar
Feb 21, 2006, 09:57 AM
Well that would make this pretty much as close to confirmed as possible then. I mean the last thing sega would want is another episode III FSOD bug.

Ryna
Feb 21, 2006, 10:05 AM
I'm sure Sonic Team has designed the game in such a way that it shouldn't be too hard to port to other game platforms.

Still, the XBox 360 port is just a rumor. There is the possibility that Sonic Team is delaying the game so it can be released for a next-gen platform, but that is just speculation.

As for the English file, there is no reason to think that it absolutely has to be included. It can be swapped in at a later time for the US release of the game.

rena-ko
Feb 21, 2006, 11:03 AM
concerning "every file has to be the same"... that wouldnt work due to different architectures.

plus, the only thing that has to be the same is the interface for online communication and the content (itemwise etc).

the point of all languages being available in every release would be necessary if the areal versions would be supposed to interact (as in internationally linked servers). since there is no word about that, you can presume that ST goes the way they went with BB and not offer linked servers.

and as ryna mentioned - its confirmed that the PS2 and the PC version will be using the same servers. furthermore, thanks to serversiden saving, its pretty much official that your online account is not tied to a certain client.

AxelgearVII
Feb 22, 2006, 04:21 PM
One could also speculate that they're holding back the releases in order to join the English and Japanese servers. That combined with the different platforms playing on the same server would make for a huge population. Let alone if they actually do release it for Xbox 360. We can dream right? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

GaijinPUnch
Feb 22, 2006, 07:38 PM
One could also speculate (and probably be right) that they just haven't gotten the game to where it needs to be to publish it.

Yummi
Feb 23, 2006, 10:48 AM
On 2006-02-22 16:38, GaijinPUnch wrote:
One could also speculate (and probably be right) that they just haven't gotten the game to where it needs to be to publish it.

lol I agree. The info on basic online game play wasn't even released just has me thinking it's nowhere near ready for release.

2D
Feb 23, 2006, 10:53 AM
I hope it does not to go to 360.
Ps2 and PC Are enough.Every system that its on another way people can hack/mod it.Espically on an xbox.I really hope it does not to go 360.

Genoa
Feb 23, 2006, 11:27 AM
Could the fact that both PS2 and the PC are linked servers... be the reason it's delayed? They might be having problems making the PC and PS2 connection compatable with eachother... I mean won't this be the first time Sega is linking two different game playing systems together? (I'm aware of that PC to GC free server thing with PSO 1&2 ... <_< but OFFICIALLY...)
Especially trying to make 2 very diverse things become compatable. Come on, A Video Game Console... and a Computer... =/ there's probably going to be problems. Hopefully that's what this delay will fix.

Ryna
Feb 23, 2006, 02:22 PM
On 2006-02-23 08:27, MegamanX wrote:
Could the fact that both PS2 and the PC are linked servers... be the reason it's delayed? They might be having problems making the PC and PS2 connection compatable with eachother... I mean won't this be the first time Sega is linking two different game playing systems together? (I'm aware of that PC to GC free server thing with PSO 1&2 ... <_< but OFFICIALLY...)
Especially trying to make 2 very diverse things become compatable. Come on, A Video Game Console... and a Computer... =/ there's probably going to be problems. Hopefully that's what this delay will fix.

You make it sound like video game consoles and computers are two radically different beasts. I hope you realize that video game consoles are computers too.

It is extremely likely that Sonic Team is using the same code base to design the PS2 and PC versions of the game. There will be a few differences, but any competent designer would have isolated those dependencies when the game's design document was being written.

If PS2/PC compatibility was proving to be such a big problem, wouldn't they have pulled the plug on that and decided to go with 2 sets of servers? Besides, we know it is technically feasible to do since games like Final Fantasy 11 use cross-platform compatibility.

Is it more likely that Sonic Team is having problems with the interactions between the server and client software in general. Instabilities will lead to server lock-ups and disconnections.

Also, this isn't the first time Sonic Team has planned cross-platform compatibility. Version 2 and Episode 1&2 users were supposed to play on the same servers. However, that plan was pulled due to the rampant hacking on Version 2.

butzopower
Feb 23, 2006, 04:25 PM
I vaguely remember Ep1+2 having at least 3 different release dates in the US. I know it was moved at one point from october to november. Whether that has to do with Sonic Team or SOA, I don't know.

Sonic Team just isn't good with keeping up with their own deadlines. They, and any professional company for that matter, shouldn't set release dates unless they are done with the game.

Saffran
Feb 23, 2006, 05:40 PM
They, and any professional company for that matter, shouldn't set release dates unless they are done with the game.
So Windows XP should have been pushed back until 2009?
(scnr)

Shadow_Wing
Feb 23, 2006, 07:47 PM
Saff more like never >_>;;

Anyways, as stated before ST are having problems with the entire configuration of the network, most likely on the client to server connection.

If I remember right ST changed their servers to new 100Gigabit servers, which are very new, using all new standards and hardware that is pretty much untested in the commercial world. It's not surprising that they are having slight problems.

zandra117
Feb 25, 2006, 10:06 PM
On 2006-02-23 07:53, 2D wrote:
Ps2 and PC Are enough.Every system that its on another way people can hack/mod it.Espically on an xbox.I really hope it does not to go 360.

xbox360 hasnt been modded with online capability yet. The only way you can get on xbox live modded was if you had a softmodded xbox. There is so far no possible way to softmod an xbox360. softmodded xboxes were only possible through an exploited glitch in 3 of the older xbox games. This glitch has been fixed on the xbox360. Besides PSU saves server side so you dont really have to worry about hackers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2006-02-25 19:17 ]</font>

hypersaxon
Feb 25, 2006, 11:49 PM
On 2006-02-25 19:06, zandra117 wrote:

On 2006-02-23 07:53, 2D wrote:

xbox360 hasnt been modded with online capability yet. The only way you can get on xbox live modded was if you had a softmodded xbox. There is so far no possible way to softmod an xbox360. softmodded xboxes were only possible through an exploited glitch in 3 of the older xbox games. This glitch has been fixed on the xbox360. Besides PSU saves server side so you dont really have to worry about hackers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2006-02-25 19:17 ]</font>

Exactly what I've been trying to get across to people since I got here, I guess they'd understand the Xbox situation more if they had knowledge of hacking, which I do because I've done modding before and I read up on the modding news every now and then. I honestly think that, as long as Sonic Team goes through vigorous testing, they don't have too much to worry about as far as hacking goes. The server side saving should cut down the chances of people hacking the game to a minimum, if not completely. All Sonic Team needs to do is make sure that there's no security holes and they'll be good.

Wolv
Mar 6, 2006, 05:31 PM
Here's what we know.

1. Delayed to 2006 TBA

I believe that I have heard that the release date for PSU ( U.S. Version ) was scheduled for release on May 1, 2006.

If I'm wrong, or if this has been posted already, my bad. Sorry http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Ffuzzy-Logik
Mar 6, 2006, 06:27 PM
On 2006-03-06 14:31, Wolv wrote:
I believe that I have heard that the release date for PSU ( U.S. Version ) was scheduled for release on May 1, 2006.The key word there is "was."

OdinTyler
Mar 6, 2006, 10:27 PM
Yep. The US version was delayed til Fall 2006. But then, word leaked that the JP version was delayed til 2006, no month stated. No word on if it will impact the release of the US version, tho its more than likely. In other words, we're looking at a window of Labor Day to Christmas or freakin' New Year's...

Wolv
Mar 7, 2006, 03:40 PM
Ouch >.<

It will probably end up being released sometime '07...

DizzyDi
Mar 7, 2006, 06:44 PM
On 2006-03-07 12:40, Wolv wrote:
Ouch >.<

It will probably end up being released sometime '07...

Don't jynx it. Thats highly unlikely. The game is what? Like 80% done? I'm HOPING for a summer release, but realistically I think it'll be released maybe around Fall or so.

Blackwaltz-R
Mar 7, 2006, 07:11 PM
I think we all keep forgetting that the release date was anounced a YEAR ago, so it was subject to change even if they added extra time just to be safe. They were obviously optimistic about its release.

OdinTyler
Mar 8, 2006, 12:21 AM
Also, the 80% applied when they mentioned that info months ago. The game's done. There's no reason to believe otherwise. Its either network issues or ownership rights (or some BS) or God forbid delaying to fit 2 or 3 more versions when the game isnt even out yet.

A2K
Mar 8, 2006, 01:44 AM
Ah, it might just be a pipe dream, but I'm hoping they're using this extra time to go back on that whole "there won't be a team system" thing. >>

RyuuHokori
Mar 8, 2006, 02:08 PM
all i know is, i hope we get a release very soon. Like what Odin said already, the game is already done. Why should we wait any longer. I'd say no longer than fall.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RyuuHokori on 2006-03-08 11:10 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Mar 8, 2006, 03:35 PM
OK so heres an update on what we think:

1. PSU could come out in Fall, but, the JP version said 2006. Given the number of delays & now the ambiguous year date, we can summise the game WILL come out in 2006.

2. Theres at least 2 reasons why the game was delayed. One reason (no matter how big) shouldnt be enough reason to delay ONE game, no matter what it is. Sure, it might tie things up. But, if it were only one reason, a more definitive date would be assigned.

3. Should the game come out in Fall, the optimal times are Sept. & Nov. Why? Well, big releases happen a few times throughout the year. Sept's a good time for games as is Nov (the beginning of the holiday season).

4. Should Fall prove false, then it can be expected that PSU will get an official holiday release during the later weeks of December towards Christmas. However, if Sega wanted to really optimize sales towards Christmas, Nov would be a better starting point.

5. Seeing as how Sega knows how we feel about the game (both positive & negative), theyre clearly reading forums & getting buzz from awaiting fans. They must known by now that we're really craving the online part. A Team System would be a good way to get the morale up & would benefit those of us that wish to be online & they, the devs, knowing theres a mutual support system present, even before the game's out.

6. Although Sega claims to have focused more on offline, they know that online gaming is an 'in thing' & here to stay for quite awhile. No argument there. If theyre going to want this game online for awhile, they need to release it while the hype for it is still there. If they delay again, they hurt themselves. We can always work on offline mode for years to come. If they dont remember the saying of 'strike while it's hot', I dont know what else to tell them.

PrinceBrightstar
Mar 8, 2006, 04:25 PM
Maybe they'll have a date for us at E3...

NarutoV1
Mar 8, 2006, 04:31 PM
On 2006-02-21 06:57, Jonathan_F wrote:
Well that would make this pretty much as close to confirmed as possible then. I mean the last thing sega would want is another episode III FSOD bug.

yeah but than again Don't they always take a while to do things? that andi rember there whole gamecard for psobb now look at like broomop so no matter how long they delay it or how long they take its still pretty easy to hack it, but anyway to the first person's post yeah i hope the JP version has english subtitles or something cause im tired of waiting for PSU

fumatanera
Mar 8, 2006, 04:49 PM
everyone should know by now a game isn't out until it is OUT. even if they give a solid date, something can always come up. JP might be released on time but who knows about US.
anyway a date would be nice just to give us something to hope for and look forward to ":P

Tomeeboy
Mar 8, 2006, 05:11 PM
I heard today that Final Fantasy XII received a perfect score in the latest Famitsu magazine and is scheduled for release in Japan this month. Perhaps that has something to do with the Japanese delay of PSU. The games really only compete on an offline RPG level, but they've mentioned in the past that a large percentage of PSO players stuck to offline. There are not that many games which have received perfect scores from Famitsu either, so FFXII must be a pretty strong game. I find it a bit too coincidental that PSU was supposed to hit Japan in March as well.

fumatanera
Mar 8, 2006, 05:41 PM
while server problems, etc. are all very plausible, i bet Tomeeboy is right. FFXII is supposed to be out MArch 16 i think. that would be RPG suicide to release along side it.

Tomeeboy
Mar 8, 2006, 10:57 PM
On 2006-03-08 14:41, fumatanera wrote:
while server problems, etc. are all very plausible, i bet Tomeeboy is right. FFXII is supposed to be out MArch 16 i think. that would be RPG suicide to release along side it.

Pretty much what I was thinking... It would kind of be like having the season premiere of a TV show in the same time block as American Idol http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

If this had even the slightest effect on their recent Japanese delay, it will be interesting if the US release goes unchanged so that it comes out before FFXII in the states (which I think is slated for October right now).

fumatanera
Mar 8, 2006, 11:16 PM
interesting indeed

PrinceBrightstar
Mar 9, 2006, 12:19 AM
Ya, the one one who would dare face squaresoft would have been enix. Too bad that won't happen anymore. SQUEENIX

THEMASTERG1
Mar 14, 2006, 08:10 PM
I can't wait for this game to come out.

scott1114
Mar 26, 2006, 02:42 PM
Seriously I'm really starting to consider a simultaneous european, japanse and north american release. I've seen many web sites so far telling of an european and american release date for June 1st, and Japanese has been delayed later.

Well I hope we get more info on that at E3....

If it gets delayed again in NA I'm killing myself

Kayai
Mar 30, 2006, 03:19 PM
You know what we need? We need someone to learn fluent Japanese and go work for Sonic team! then the information would really be flowing! XP