PDA

View Full Version : the perfect idea for PSU

sprky585
Mar 1, 2006, 10:12 PM
they should make it for the PSP too...u can go online with it and for us addicts we can take it where ever we go!!!! that would be the sniz

Alizar
Mar 1, 2006, 10:23 PM
Who said they're not?...

OdinTyler
Mar 1, 2006, 10:26 PM
I really dont see that happening. Besides, people are so hung up on it being on X360 & Sega themselves havent even confirmed it. Now to think its going to be on a portable? Do you want the game to be infinitely delayed? The more systems 'considered' for PSU, the longer its going to take to come about. That is something that should be considered, above all else.

DarK-SuN
Mar 1, 2006, 10:39 PM
In an interview Sonic Team said that they'd consider doing PSO for the PSP, but not PSU because the PSP probably wouldn't be powerful enough for it.

So, expect PSO for the PSP at some point, but PSU will take its time, if it'll be in the PSP at all.

Ryo_Hayasa
Mar 1, 2006, 11:05 PM
PSU would never be for the PSP, it just isn't powerful enough, and that would be just, well it's just too much, and too complicated to set the PSP up like that.

Now if PSO, (to the point that it was like PSO:BB) it would be really interesting, that would be great.

OdinTyler
Mar 1, 2006, 11:14 PM
What would be the point of putting PSO on a portable? If anything, Sega's trying to move foward. The most effort ST will put to PSO now is anything concerning BB. If it was going to be done, I think it wouldve been considered or done already.

littleman2347
Mar 2, 2006, 07:29 AM
i think that if they would release pso on ps2 ,ps3, and xbox 360 and a little advertisment they would make a lot of cash.So why wouldnt they do it? we will never know.

DizzyDi
Mar 2, 2006, 03:58 PM
Wishful thinking folks. The PS2 can barely handle PSU alone. A handheld system trying to run a game as massive as PSU? Hellz no. I don't care how powerful the PSP is, it ain't gunna happen. Maybe a watered down version, without the online and with a lamer offline, but someone would have to sell thier soul to the devil to get the full version of PSU on the PSP.

AC9breaker
Mar 2, 2006, 09:18 PM
Yuji Naka also expressed interest in the DS. But I doubt anything would ever happen with that just like I do for the PSP.

_Tek_
Mar 2, 2006, 09:55 PM
If they would make it for psp, it may be more of a PSO-ish style i think. I doubt they will release any more PSO ports, so psu would be it. But you couldn't fit all that PSU has into psp coudl you?

washuguy
Mar 2, 2006, 10:42 PM
On 2006-03-01 19:26, OdinTyler wrote:
I really dont see that happening. Besides, people are so hung up on it being on X360 & Sega themselves havent even confirmed it. Now to think its going to be on a portable? Do you want the game to be infinitely delayed? The more systems 'considered' for PSU, the longer its going to take to come about. That is something that should be considered, above all else.

More systems=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

OdinTyler
Mar 3, 2006, 12:34 AM
Not necessarily. Sometimes, you just have to be realistic about things. Not too long ago, I saw pics for Resident Evil on the DS. How many times are you going to remake the same game before moving foward? I mean this IS Capcom we're talking about, but, cmon. Most games that have versions on different systems exist because the game has spanned a considerable amount of time. PSU isnt even out yet & the constant rumor-spreading of "Is it on this system?" is really pointless. The game needs to be tweaked & released. Delaying for possible ports elsewhere will only anger people & thus, decrease the desire for the game. Considering how long people have waited, Sega will make enough money between PS2 & PC users.

Tystys
Mar 4, 2006, 04:07 AM
The massive size of the world that is PSU is way to powerful for the PSP...
They try to load that into the damn thing, and it'll explode, causing your hands to be set on fire.

Omega_Nova
Mar 4, 2006, 11:41 PM
Yuji Naka said that PSU for the PSP would be impossible since PSU is pushing PS2's hardware to the limit.

And besides that, there is the whole DVD to UMD thing.

Alisha
Mar 4, 2006, 11:49 PM
On 2006-03-01 19:12, sprky585 wrote:
they should make it for the PSP too...u can go online with it and for us addicts we can take it where ever we go!!!! that would be the sniz

how bout they fucking get the game realeased on ps2 and pc first.....

<---is annoyed

Kent
Mar 5, 2006, 10:46 AM
While I will agree that the PSP could seriously use some good games on it... I really don't think it'll happen.

If they could nerf the graphics enough, and cut down the size enough, a DS version would be nice, though. Touch screen for menus and quick weapons swapping? Heh.

_Tek_
Mar 5, 2006, 08:13 PM
You could use the pen to send message to others. But that's if you'd have an online community, which it probably wouldn't.

I'd see it only as offline mode PSU.

Kent
Mar 5, 2006, 08:47 PM
It's not hard to make a software keyboard you can pull up, and type with on the DS; just copy Pictochat, and take out the drawing part.

I really don't doubt they could easily implement online mode, either. It just would have to really, really cut down on polycounts and details of effects, for it to be workable. I'm guessing they could easily get something that looks about as good as Final Fantasy VIII or IX, graphic-wise.

OdinTyler
Mar 5, 2006, 09:12 PM
What would be the point of that? That would really dumb down the game. It wouldnt be a version of a PS game, it would be a badly copied clone. Some games just need the technology to back them up. Its like showing someone Sega CD or Saturn graphics, then trying to cram it & it comes out looking like a Game Gear game. No way. Thats sacrilege!

hypersaxon
Mar 5, 2006, 09:57 PM
PSO, sure. PSU, hell no.

I think it would be a great idea to put the original PSO on PSP, perhaps even Episode I&II if they can cram all that on there. With Wifi support, being able to play online anywhere you go (even if the PSP battery life only lets you play a couple hours lmao) I could see PSO doing very well on PSP as far as sales go. I mean, who wouldn't want to play portable PSO?!

Omega_Nova
Mar 5, 2006, 10:02 PM
PSO would be more than possible on the PSP, though technical reasons would probably make a Dreamcast version the best option.

At this point in the game I would hope that it would be free for online though...

TheWildJoker
Mar 6, 2006, 12:44 AM
thad be a great idea, but only if they link the psp players with the ps2 and PC players. thad be crazy.

cyberwolf10
Mar 6, 2006, 04:14 PM
And perhaps more than a little bit silly, because there'd be some blatant differences between the normal and portable versions of the game. PSP OR DS, it'd have to be quite a lot different, thus making the online mode horrendously unfair for one group or the other.

ulyoth
Mar 6, 2006, 05:15 PM
Like ive said before PSO Ep3 for the DS would rock. Online would work, as its slow. Id play it.

Kent
Mar 6, 2006, 07:42 PM
On 2006-03-05 18:12, OdinTyler wrote:
What would be the point of that?
Portable PSU.

On the business side, do you realize how much of a niche market the online, portable RPG market is? There are basically none available, and about one or two in development. Basically, if people wanted online RPG play, they'd have to go with it; because it'd be one of the only ones available. Not to mention, more sales = more customers = more money per month, from more people playing.

That would really dumb down the game. It wouldnt be a version of a PS game, it would be a badly copied clone. Some games just need the technology to back them up. Its like showing someone Sega CD or Saturn graphics, then trying to cram it & it comes out looking like a Game Gear game. No way. Thats sacrilege!

Wrong, and wrong. It would be a version of the game, just adapted to another system. Kinda like, oh, I don't know, how you can adapt a PS2 game to run on a PC. You know, what with the different detail levels, resolutions, effect details, etc.

The technology to back them up is already there; to make a badly copied clone, you have to not put as much effort into it as you could. And guess what professionals do, if they want to keep making money? If you're going to port a game, you have to do it well, or it won't sell, and you'll lose money. It's more than possible to make a good port of PSU on the DS (possibly even the PSP, despite not having enough buttons). No way in hell it'd look as good, but it'd still be PSU, and they'd probably push the hardware to its limits; in order to get the best graphical quality they could.

I won't disagree that it wouldn't be as near as the quality of the graphics, but I will disagree that it couldn't be possible to make it well.

The first and foremost rule of keeping your jobs as game designers: Do a good job, or you're finished. If the did decide to make a portable port of the game, there's no way they'd make a half-assed attempt at it.

On 2006-03-06 13:14, cyberwolf10 wrote:
And perhaps more than a little bit silly, because there'd be some blatant differences between the normal and portable versions of the game. PSP OR DS, it'd have to be quite a lot different, thus making the online mode horrendously unfair for one group or the other.

Not quite. They'd be short a few buttons, yeah, but the touchscreen on the DS could make up for that part, due to its versatility. It'd control a little differently, and the graphics wouldn't be as good, but it'd be portable; the differences, assuming Sonic Team isn't made up a bunch of jackasses, would more or less end there

Miyoko
Mar 6, 2006, 10:17 PM
I'd personally like to see a DS version of episode 3. Touch screen + card game = win.

And, since it's got the whole Wi-fi thing goin'...

OdinTyler
Mar 6, 2006, 10:20 PM
You do realize you're defending a lost cause here. There's no way they could pull off a faithful version of PSU. Idk if they could pull off a version of PSO. I will agree that the PSP (like any portable) should have RPGs. Hell, Im for EVERY game system to have RPGs. But sometimes, you gotta just take a step back & think: Is this really the right thing to do? Game designers keep their job by doing what is asked of them, not necessarily if its a good idea. If Yuji boy were your boss & he told you to help him make a game you disagreed with, would you? That decision affects their job. If there were more independent designers, we'd probably have more RPGs out there (including portables). The big names could just slap the producer credits on there & call it a day. Everybody wins.

NarutoV1
Mar 8, 2006, 04:22 PM
dude i'd buy a psp just for that

McdjDak
Mar 8, 2006, 05:14 PM
For PSP...nah. Sure some people would buy and enjoy it, but you gotta think about it from the developers standpoint. They aren't gonna mass produce a game for PSP that will most definately in the long run lose them money. Making a port of PSO on PSP might be a viable idea, but I don't see that happening either. It's all about the benjamins, to be honest. Developers DO care about what there customers think, but only if it can bring them some kind of profit.

Kent
Mar 8, 2006, 10:43 PM
On 2006-03-06 19:20, OdinTyler wrote:
You do realize you're defending a lost cause here. There's no way they could pull off a faithful version of PSU.
It's not that I'm defending any causes at all... Unless said cause is open-mindedness... Something very important in the business.

Idk if they could pull off a version of PSO.
Easy. D-pad moves, ABXYLR retain the same functions as they did in PSO, touchscreen handles all the menus. For example, tap Techniques... And it brings up all of your techniques on the touchscreen, with icons large enough to accurately tap to cast them. Same with Items (think the item icons in the Customize section), traps, and weapons. Inventory, of course, would be handled in the classic menu style, just with the touchscreen. Of course, with an option to, for example, hit Select to use the d-pad for menus, then again to control your character more.

In fact, if they kept the aforementioned open-minded ness, they could make a DS rendition of PSO even better than the previous versions. Sure, they'd have to tweak the graphics and compress some things to fit them on the game card, but to outright say that they couldn't pull it off, is just blind, thoughtless assumption.

I will agree that the PSP (like any portable) should have RPGs. Hell, Im for EVERY game system to have RPGs. But sometimes, you gotta just take a step back & think: Is this really the right thing to do? Game designers keep their job by doing what is asked of them, not necessarily if its a good idea. If Yuji boy were your boss & he told you to help him make a game you disagreed with, would you? That decision affects their job. If there were more independent designers, we'd probably have more RPGs out there (including portables). The big names could just slap the producer credits on there & call it a day. Everybody wins.

Right. Game designers keep their jobs by doing what they're told to do by their bosses. Their bosses, are usually game designers.

Actually, in the game design business, did you know that it's the members of the team who come up with 90% of the game ideas, make a prototype, story, and all that stuff, then bring it to a producer to get funding to make the full project? It's really not a one-man-in-command kind of thing. Sure, there's a leader, but only a foolish leader makes all the decisions by himself. If I were working for Naka-san, he'd not just tell me to make a game, he'd ask me of my thoughts on it, as he would any member of his team, and consider everyone's input, and make the final decision based on that.

Part of being on a team is giving your input; just as part of being a leader is listening to the input of your team members.

THEMASTERG1
Mar 14, 2006, 01:31 AM
good idea

Uncle_Pobatti
Mar 17, 2006, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Sega decided to cash in on the sudden Phantasy Star hype by releasing PSU on BOTH PSP and NDS, however before you start saying that these systems are not powerful enough I shall explain.

'PRINCE OF PERSIA: The Sands of Time'

Most people have played this game in it's PC/GC/PS2 and XBOX incarnations. This game was also released on GBA.

What they did was simply wrap the storyline of the 'big' versions around a modified original PoP engine - so in effect they were BOTH 'Prince of Persia' and had the same stories - yet they were actually completely different games!

As you all know, PS started life as an 8 and 16bit series of games, all of which have made it to GBA.

I'm sure that ST could infact take the storyline from PSU, expand on it and fit it around updated and modified 'early PS' engine making a unique and quality game in and of itself. It could be made to take advantage of touch screen technology (NDS) or be made to take advantage of the visual prowess of PSP - imagine a game looking and playing a cross between PS3 and Shining Force 3 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Since the PC/PS2 game is marketed as an offline game with online capabilites, a potential PSP/DS game would allow even more gamers to get in on the Phantasy Star buzz that's gonna be generated when Sega finally release this behemoth!