PDA

View Full Version : How will the story online be?

DizzyDi
Mar 8, 2006, 06:49 PM
I hopped on FFXI the other day, just to talk to some old friends and what not for a lil bit and was telling them how I'm stuck with FFXI for a lil bit longer cause PSU is delayed and it got me wondering...How will the story online be? FFXI has an okay story, seeing as how its an MMORPG you can give it a little slack on story, but it is somewhat interesting. Since Sega is really pushing the offline mode and its story and whatnot, and since online you are playing on the same timeline as offline, I wonder if like some of the thing that Ethan does offline will affect online? Like Ethan blows up some city or something and they release a patch in which one of the lobbies/cities is in disrepair and whanot. I think it'd be cool.

Edit: I also think it'd be cool to have missions relating to stuff that happens offline.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DizzyDi on 2006-03-08 17:27 ]</font>

Sgt_Shligger
Mar 8, 2006, 08:20 PM
That does sound cool. Is the story timeline before or after ep1+2? if it was it would be nice to see the old story. If not i wouldn't mind a guild misson (or whatever is in PSU) that is the old Forest or something... like a blast from the past... with DC graphics and all.

I don't think they will relate the main story to the online story though. I think it will just have a story through main missions while still having the same offline story enemies like the SEED.

.... but what do I know? It could be anything... i am just guessing.........

NarutoV1
Mar 8, 2006, 08:42 PM
On 2006-03-08 17:20, SgtShligger wrote:
That does sound cool. Is the story timeline before or after ep1+2? if it was it would be nice to see the old story. If not i wouldn't mind a guild misson (or whatever is in PSU) that is the old Forest or something... like a blast from the past... with DC graphics and all.

I don't think they will relate the main story to the online story though. I think it will just have a story through main missions while still having the same offline story enemies like the SEED.

.... but what do I know? It could be anything... i am just guessing.........

i think its after the pioneer rico storie n psat ep4 to

A2K
Mar 8, 2006, 10:39 PM
All indications are that it takes place in a completely separate timeline/universe than either the original Phantasy Star series or Phantasy Star Online.

There's no evidence of Coral (the homeworld where the Pioneer Project was conceived), or Ragol. And the latter, as far as we know, was the only habitable planet in its solar system.

The original series took place in the Algol Solar System, however, the three (well, four) planets there are quite different in their nature and origin (although there are quite a few parallels).

PSU takes place in the Graal Solar System, composed of three planets, like Algol, but as I just said, they're different. We get the "planetary center" world and the desert world, but instead of an ice planet we have a natural haven. Also, Moatoob was once a green world that became desert after heavy mining on the surface, while Motavia from the original series was a desert world that was terraformed green and then eventually reverted back to desert.

Anyway, as to the nature of the online story, I imagine that, now, we'll see many side stories in the online mode. In short, the complete opposite of how Phantasy Star Online was set up, where you got much of the side story and other important but separate from the "main quest" (regarding Rico, Flowen, and the meteor) threads from the single player quests.

Well, Phantasy Star Online Episode III had its story primarily offline too, but that's the odd one out, heh.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-03-08 19:46 ]</font>

fumatanera
Mar 9, 2006, 04:44 PM
being that you can choose to play offline or online as soon as you get the game, offline can;t affect online.
everyone would have to be playing the same thing at the same time for events to make sense....hmm unless certain missions corresponded to the offline game. meh, won't happen.
it would be sweet though ":P

DizzyDi
Mar 9, 2006, 06:38 PM
I think you misunderstand me. I'm not saying that what you do offline will affect online personally. I'm saying that it would be cool if some of the online missions corresponded with the online ones. Like a mission where you might play right alongside Ethan or another member in the offline story. And later on down in the game's release, like say its been out for a few months or so, they make a patch that would like have some change on online that corresponded with offline, such as the whole city being destroyed thing.

Pseudo
Mar 9, 2006, 06:49 PM
Perhaps one day we may even recieve a new planet to explore, its highly possible to keep adding content to the game. Ive seen several shots of the Guardians base that looks as large as a Mall, so maybe new sectors or shops open up after you complete a task or somthing. (wishful thinking ^_^)

DizzyDi
Mar 9, 2006, 07:36 PM
Yah that'd be cool. Being able to shop in areas or go places in lobbies that lower levels can't. I dunno about another planet though, I doubt that happening. MAYBE if they do an update but this isn't really a full MMORPG in that they can just release expansion sets like WoW or FFXI.

hypersaxon
Mar 9, 2006, 08:04 PM
I highly doubt that the online mode is going to have a truly "deep" storyline. Other than quests and stuff, it's not going to be anything radically different from PSO. Story mode is where all the storyline is going to be emphasized.

A2K
Mar 9, 2006, 08:31 PM
On 2006-03-09 15:49, Pseudo wrote:
Perhaps one day we may even recieve a new planet to explore, its highly possible to keep adding content to the game. Ive seen several shots of the Guardians base that looks as large as a Mall, so maybe new sectors or shops open up after you complete a task or somthing. (wishful thinking ^_^)

Phantasy Star Universe Episode I & II anyone?

Inu_Shadi
Mar 9, 2006, 10:42 PM
On 2006-03-09 17:31, A2K wrote:

On 2006-03-09 15:49, Pseudo wrote:

Phantasy Star Universe Episode I & II anyone?

Phantasy Star Universe Version 2
Phantasy Star Universe Episode I & II
Phantasy Star Universe Episode III C.A.R.D Revolution
Phantasy Star Universe Episode I & II Plus
Phantasy Star Universe Blue Burst

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif XD

and to get back on topic, i dont really think that would work out, people are going to get the games at different times, so to make a planet destroyed wouldnt exactly be fair to the people who didnt get that far in story mode, plus sonicteam said network and story mode are not linked at all

A2K
Mar 9, 2006, 11:21 PM
On 2006-03-09 19:42, Inu_Shadi wrote:
and to get back on topic, i dont really think that would work out, people are going to get the games at different times, so to make a planet destroyed wouldnt exactly be fair to the people who didnt get that far in story mode, plus sonicteam said network and story mode are not linked at all

Well, I think they were referring to your online characters and the offline game being separate. I mean the two are linked, of course--they take place in the same setting.

A2K
Mar 9, 2006, 11:22 PM
On 2006-03-09 20:21, A2K wrote:

On 2006-03-09 19:42, Inu_Shadi wrote:

Well, I think they were referring to your online characters and the offline game being separate. I mean the two are linked, of course--they take place in the same setting at roughly the same time. (Although, of course, we know not the specifics, whether online happens during or after Ethan's adventure, for example. Safe to assume it isn't before, though...)

Nai_Calus
Mar 9, 2006, 11:58 PM
Don't forget Phantasy Star Universe II, Phantasy Star Universe III, the black sheep of the family, Phantasy Star Universe IV, Phantasy Star Universe Gaiden, Phantasy Star Universe Adventure and the PSU text adventure games. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

And then the remakes of PSU, PSUII and PSUIV for the Playstation 5; Phantasy Star Universe: Generation 1, Phantasy Star Universe: Generation 2 and Phantasy Star Universe: Generation 3. Except they'll never get around to finishing PSUG3 and by that time nothing that isn't fully immersive virtual reality will be allowed to be brought to the US unless it's in a compilation, and the remakes' quaint old-fashioned mere 3D gameplay and the lack of the final title will keep the remakes from ever coming out over here. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Whaaaat? *grabs stick, finds dead horse, commences beating* X3

fumatanera
Mar 10, 2006, 01:01 PM
it'd be sweet if they made an online game where the players affected the expansion of the game. say they had to find an item or relic online or offline or after a certain number of players had advanced far eough in the game that new areas etc. would be discovered.

Sinue_v2
Mar 12, 2006, 03:17 AM
I like the idea of having a "fourth" planet added in as an expension - so that the PSU universe more accurately mirrors the PS universe. It would open up a LOT of possiblities for new quests, items, and areas to explore and would be perfect for an expansion on a later release.

As for Dezolis/NewDiaz - in a way, they are similar. While NewDiaz in more of a terran habitat - it's predominat element is water. Well, Dezolis was mostly water as well - except that it was in the form of ice and glaciers. Still quite a contrast between the planets, but they do at least still fit the mold of the original games a bit better.

Oh... and a bit of trivia. While the PSU worlds are inspired by the original PS series - even the "original" planets are just references to another Sci-Fi series. Star Wars. Star Wars actually played a huge influence in PS's development, and if you look back to PSI as the planets originally were - it's easy to see how Motavia was modeled after Tatooine (right down to the Jawa-looking Motavians) and Dezolis was modeled after Hoth. Palma was based off of Earth, to keep things from being too alien to the players - but even it was permeated with SW references - such as the guards you meet at the very beginning who look almost exactly like Storm Troopers.

PSO carried on the Star Wars reference tradition - and it'll be interesting to see if and how PSU will incorperte SW lore and design into the game.

Rieko Kodama was a huge Star Wars fan.

A2K
Mar 12, 2006, 05:22 PM
On 2006-03-12 00:17, Sinue_v2 wrote:
As for Dezolis/NewDiaz - in a way, they are similar. While NewDiaz in more of a terran habitat - it's predominat element is water. Well, Dezolis was mostly water as well - except that it was in the form of ice and glaciers. Still quite a contrast between the planets, but they do at least still fit the mold of the original games a bit better.

Moatoob actually shares something in common with Dezolis as well, in that it's a mining planet. But I'd have to agree that Neudaiz is probably closest to Dezolis, what with a certain "Rutsu" living there and the religious contingent and all.

Uncle_Pobatti
Mar 17, 2006, 12:37 PM
Hmm, online story?

I did hear that the online/extra mode takes place after Ethan's adventure is over, but further details are just speculation. I have a nifty supposition though:

Remember in PSO, in Ep1 there was a backstory where Red Ring Rico had an adventure and went missing. Ep1 was all about finding her and discovering the truth. We never actually go in depth about Rico's adventure apart from snippets of information in message pods and vague pictures in an ending.

It looks like PSU may also take this form, however the 'backstory' may be fully explored in the offline Story mode. My predictions are:

I expect Ethan to be killed/taken over by an evil entity/disappear at the end of the Story mode?

I expect Extra & Online mode to be about finding him again/discovering the truth about his disappearence?

Maybe the last boss in Online & Extra mode turns out to be Ethan taken over by... DarkFalz??

This is all pure conjecture and guesswork however I can almost see this sort of setup working - the storyline of Extra & Online having more than a passing similarity to the storylines used in PSO Ep1&2.

Still, who knows - maybe it'll be completely radically different to what we're used to, hopefully a wonderful and fascinating surprise http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif