PDA

View Full Version : keyboard controller

fumatanera
Mar 14, 2006, 06:04 PM
anyone have or plan on getting the logitech keyboard controller? is it worth it, or is the regular controller and USB keyboard a better combination?

i had the keyboard controller for GC PSO and it was pretty sweet

Kano-Okami
Mar 14, 2006, 06:35 PM
I've heard the ps2 keyboard-controllers weren't very stable, often having the controller die, and you just using the keyboard for, well, a keyboard. If your looking for a decent keyboard, just get Datel's Powerboard, as for keyboard-controllers..Logitech is the only one I know of..

EspioKaos
Mar 14, 2006, 07:12 PM
Heh. I didn't even know Logitech made a PS2 keyboard controller. Sweet. I wouldn't mind having one for PSU, but at $70, I think I might stick with my regular controller and then go out and get Logitech's PS2 USB keyboard (only $30) to use alongside it. Or, I could always just use my computer's USB keyboard.

Oh, and there's actually only one other PS2 keyboard controller combo I know of. I can't recall who made it, but it's basically a slightly wider PS2 controller with a really tiny keyboard in the middle. The keys are all about the size of cellphone buttons. I just never saw that thing being easy to type with.

_Tek_
Mar 14, 2006, 08:34 PM
I'd probably just get a seperate keyboard. Or a simple cheap adapter.

AzureBlaze
Mar 14, 2006, 11:54 PM
One of the things that MAJORLY contributed to the fast fall of the gamecube pso was it's launch with lack of keyboard.

ST continues to be wary of Nintendo to this day because (unlike SegaDreamcast) they didn't throw in for a keyboard on launch. DC KB was like 12 dollars and avail at every game store. And it WORKED. EVERYone understood that actually talking was like 75% of what made pso cool, so that was the most serious blunder they could make. That's why PSU is at the Station and PC, most likely. I mean, who'd gamble 'no support' twice?

I've always used a controler plus a seperate KB. At the start of GC, the people who had the cash to drop $150-$170 for that import JP keytroller thing were always the ones you heard complaining. The keys are too small, their hand is too big, you gotta set it down, you type-o all day, breaks easy, etc. But after spending such a fortune on it, you're stuck.

I've been through THREE kb's for the cube (pantsofevilgamers adapter-broke, converter thing-quit, and now a powerboard/sharkboard that goes on the blink if I don't surround it's conversion box with ice while I play....whee!)

KBs and communications are a most serious issue. So is the possibility for voice. We already know you can choose your char's little in-game sounds-voice (Like 'uff' and stuff, probably) But what if it's also a mask of somekind for voice chat? This IS a broadband only game, which are known to handle voice if they set up the system right to block shouters/etc.

I guess the ideal would be easy access to WORKING cheap Playstation keyboards and a voice option for anyone who wanted it. Isn't Xbox pso that way? (type or talk, you pick) If they refine to keep out the morons or babble, it could be quite sweet.

PS: This month's issue of EGM talkback interview yellow page type thing mentions PSU and how they want the lamers/spammers/shouters to stay off it.

deltron3030
Mar 15, 2006, 12:12 AM
Oh, and there's actually only one other PS2 keyboard controller combo I know of. I can't recall who made it, but it's basically a slightly wider PS2 controller with a really tiny keyboard in the middle. The keys are all about the size of cellphone buttons. I just never saw that thing being easy to type with.

Are you talking about this one published by Sammy?

http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/SMY-2002KP.html

For me I'm planning on using a USB Keyboard. I got the ASCII keyboard controller for the GC and I never use it for playing.

EspioKaos
Mar 15, 2006, 01:51 AM
On 2006-03-14 21:12, deltron3030 wrote:
Are you talking about this one published by Sammy?

http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/SMY-2002KP.html

Something like that, but a bit smaller. I looked around a bit and finally happened across what I was thinking of. It's made by Nyko and called the iType2 (http://www.shopping.com/xPC-Nyko_NYKO_80511_SONY_LICENSED_ITYPE2_KEYBOARD_CONT ROLLER).

fumatanera
Mar 15, 2006, 12:47 PM
i actually liked the GC kb controller. the size took some getting used to but after that i even prefferd to play other games with it that didn't need the keyboard. i never had any problems with it breaking or anything. of course i didn't pay for it either ":P my friend that stopped playing PSO gave it to me hehe.
the logitech one for ps2 looks bulky. i'll probably get an USB keyboard

PJ
Mar 15, 2006, 01:07 PM
On 2006-03-14 20:54, AzureBlaze wrote:

I wouldn't call the fall of GC PSO fast, or caused by, "Lack of communication." Everyone who needed a keyboard had one somehow, and for those who didn't, we learned how to use the software keyboard effectively.

And I wouldn't call Sonicteam wary with Nintendo.

Saiffy
Mar 15, 2006, 01:11 PM
Some people got really good with the software keyboard, and can type pretty effectively.

Frankly, the NEED for a keyboard feels like a negative to me. The fact I had to have this big clunky thing by me, on my lap or whatever so I couldn't get completely comfortable. Not to mention my keyboards wire is shorter than GC wires! And shorter than wireless! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif But yeah, that's my own problem.

When I played FFXI on PS2, I lacked a keyboard for about 3 months and managed to play fine. A few people didn't believe me when I said I didn't have one >_>;

fumatanera
Mar 15, 2006, 02:21 PM
yeah that's why i liked the keyboard controller rather than a seperate keyboard. i could just lay it across my legs. but before i had it, it wasn't bad at all. the chat shortcuts and word choice thingy actually worked fine

_Tek_
Mar 16, 2006, 02:12 AM
Yeah thanks nintendo, you lost $60 that was spent on a keyboard adapter.

Those nintendo brand ones were also no where to be found.