PDA

View Full Version : New PC Requirements

Ryna
Mar 16, 2006, 11:58 AM
While looking up some PSU information yesterday, I came across some new PC requirements. The official Sega page is saying that you need the Japanese edition of Windows 2000 with SP4 or Windows XP with SP2. Also, your machine will always have to be connected to the Internet, even for offline gameplay. This is a security feature. The minimum requirements are still the same. You can see the sources for the new requirements on the front page.

physic
Mar 16, 2006, 12:15 PM
having to have an interent connection at all times for offline mode is crappy. what if you want to play on a laptop etc. if they want a security feature they need abetter one that, also im sure that won't be required for playstation, so i assume its not about real security but more about fear of bootleggers or something. Must say, its a rather crappy development.

PhotonCat
Mar 16, 2006, 12:17 PM
I think it's dumb to have to have an active internet connection at all times. I can understand for online play(duh.) but not for offline.
Cheating offline should be acceptable. Online is a different story.

I'm guessing they also are doing the "steam" thing to "help" copy protection. I don't see how it really helps anyway. People will always pirate. always

And kinda dumb if you need SP2. But oh well.

fumatanera
Mar 16, 2006, 12:31 PM
is this just for the JP version (obviously they can't expect US players to have JP Windows) or will the constant connection be for JP, US, EU etc?

it is a stupid security measure. they are only securing the PC copies of the game. that's half-assed security

Ryna
Mar 16, 2006, 12:35 PM
On 2006-03-16 09:31, fumatanera wrote:
is this just for the JP version (obviously they can't expect US players to have JP Windows) or will the constant connection be for JP, US, EU etc?

This news only applies to the JP version of PSU for now.

eXo
Mar 16, 2006, 01:47 PM
Well if you think about it pso on aboc required an xbox live account, and im assuming this way it allows them to try your activity better =P

Lord_DS
Mar 16, 2006, 01:56 PM
what the ?! its the dumbest things i have ever read...

Sinue_v2
Mar 16, 2006, 02:01 PM
Different situation though - you didn't need to be online to play PSO-X offline, you just needed a Xbox Live account so that it could tie your character and guild cards to a particular GamerTag.

Maybe they are going the STEAM route, but in a way - I do think this would be a JP only move - since Broadband and Wireless networks are far more common over there. That's not the case, however, in other parts of the world like the US and many parts of EU.

I guess we'll probably find out more at E3, or as the US/EU release date approaches.

A2K
Mar 16, 2006, 02:06 PM
All modes of play will probably use the same executable in the PC version, which, in turn, might explain why an Internet connection is required to play even offline story mode.

ShinMaruku
Mar 16, 2006, 03:42 PM
They lack sense... Are they really that daft? Oh well...

A2K
Mar 16, 2006, 03:46 PM
On 2006-03-16 12:42, ShinMaruku wrote:
They lack sense... Are they really that daft? Oh well...

On the contrary, they wouldn't be doing it if it didn't make sense to do so.

ShinMaruku
Mar 16, 2006, 06:14 PM
This is Sonic Team we're talkin about! I seriously doubt they have though as much as they should have. They have yet to show me to have faith in them.

physic
Mar 16, 2006, 06:19 PM
On the contrary, they wouldn't be doing it if it didn't make sense to do so.

wow you really have an unrealistic expectation of Sonic Team. They have done a great many things that made no sense. PSO was riddled with things that made no sense. Its a bad idea though because not everyone has a great internet connection or even has an internet connection. I have a few friends who who live in areas where dial up is the only option. Its pretty foolish to not be able to play an offline ga,e offline. if they are afraid of piracy they need a better mechanism

A2K
Mar 16, 2006, 06:32 PM
They've done things that have made sense to combat cheating, but they haven't necessarily done the best job executing such things (data corruptions, the like).

Don't get me wrong, it does suck, but I imagine the actual effect will be minimal.

I see more "offline-only" types playing on the Playstation 2 version than on the PC client. Granted, though, it makes more sense in Japan, with the wider spread of broadband there, but I imagine the majority of PC gamers even in the US already have always-on broadband connections ready to go.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-03-16 15:32 ]</font>

physic
Mar 16, 2006, 10:32 PM
well, lets see, pso1 had numerous quests provided only to jp customers, some of these gave quest only items, like mag cells, giving jp a pretty large adventure as well as giving them a rare item for free to trade americans, if it hadnt been a super hack fest that would have been a pretty major economy issue. then teh double save currption solution. While there may be reasons for what they do, they are not necarilly good reasons, and definately not good methods. As far as pc gamers, yeah many have connections, but you over estimate broadband penetration. There are a lot of people in the midwest or not in a main city who have either no option for broadband, or very expensive options, like satelite. Then aside from that it kills the growing laptop poplulation, at least when they are not near a port.

Overall my problem is it basically makes offline mode not infact offline, but infact solo, which to me, defeats the purpose of having an offline mode to appeal to people who dont want to go online. its an oxymoron offline mode requires online connection, wtf is that.

Blitzkommando
Mar 16, 2006, 11:14 PM
I figured these would have been no questions requirements, especially about the service pack requirements. Eh, bad news for the people who were considering dial-up gameplay.

Pseudo
Mar 17, 2006, 04:43 AM
Has anyone thought that it may only be an internet connection for extra mode and not Ethan`s quest.

I think you would only have to save online with your extra character because of the serverside security issue, i cant see people saving over 1000 ethan`s quests onto the internet, that wouldn`t make sense.

Uncle_Pobatti
Mar 17, 2006, 10:49 AM
On 2006-03-17 01:43, Pseudo wrote:
Has anyone thought that it may only be an internet connection for extra mode and not Ethan`s quest.

I think you would only have to save online with your extra character because of the serverside security issue, i cant see people saving over 1000 ethan`s quests onto the internet, that wouldn`t make sense.

This sure would make sense. Ethan's quest is obviously limited to a certain extent (definate beginning and end), yet Extra mode, being endless, could take advantage of previously online only features - new levels/weapons/monsters/quests and seasonal stuff etc.

There are also several downsides I'm worried about, I made a seperate topic http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=109854&forum=20&0 on my hopes and worries about this since I thought could potentially derail this topic.

physic
Mar 17, 2006, 11:18 AM
as far as your pro's and cons, its unlikely it for patches and what not, simply because that wouldnt require a constsnt connection. I just hope whatever descion this is, its japan only, i mean un japan a 28mps connection is available to practically everyone for 22 dollars a month. this is not the case here

Uncle_Pobatti
Mar 17, 2006, 11:27 AM
On 2006-03-17 08:18, physic wrote:
as far as your pro's and cons, its unlikely it for patches and what not, simply because that wouldnt require a constsnt connection. I just hope whatever descion this is, its japan only, i mean un japan a 28mps connection is available to practically everyone for 22 dollars a month. this is not the case here

I didn't mean that the connection was there simply for patches, but the fact that you're constantly connected means there's no reason why you couldn't get patches, updates and extra features streamed to you while you're on http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

therealAERO
Mar 17, 2006, 11:37 AM
Man you guys are bitchy. I'm sorry, but I like the idea of always having to be connected. I am so sick of seeing fucking cheaters, and dupers claiming they are good when they just cheated to get where they were at. This will stop cheaters no matter what as Sega can monitor their actions at all times even when Offline. TAKE THAT YOU FUCKING DUPERS/CHEATERS/HACKERS.

Sorry, but you guys don't know a good thing when you see it.

Uncle_Pobatti
Mar 17, 2006, 12:16 PM
On 2006-03-17 08:37, therealAERO wrote:
Man you guys are bitchy. I'm sorry, but I like the idea of always having to be connected. I am so sick of seeing fucking cheaters, and dupers claiming they are good when they just cheated to get where they were at. This will stop cheaters no matter what as Sega can monitor their actions at all times even when Offline. TAKE THAT YOU FUCKING DUPERS/CHEATERS/HACKERS.

Sorry, but you guys don't know a good thing when you see it.

What do you mean 'bitchy'? He merely misunderstood what I was getting at, tis all cool here http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

As for stopping cheaters, yeah I agree with you there, this is a decent method of preventing the majority of hacking that existed in earlier PSO versions (ie people going offline, editing their character in an unsavoury way and then coming back online), yet I'm not putting all my faith in Sonic Team on this one just yet - let's face it this is the one area they've constantly failed us on over the years.

Remember when PSOBB was anounced it was practically stated either by Sega or the multitude of websites covering it that this 'online only' approach would bring about the end of PSO hacking and duping - and that Blue Burst was supposedly 'hack proof'.

No sooner did the game come out than hacking began - seems this sort of thing is gonna continue even if it IS under Sega's noses.

The only thing that matters concerning this problem is whether Sega have learned from their past mistakes and bring a ZERO-TOLLERANCE approach in regards to dealing with this sort of problem.

Hopefully there will be more than one admin (poor Clumsy) and with Sega doing their bit at their end everyone has a much more enjoyable time http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Ennie
Mar 17, 2006, 02:30 PM
I see your point about extra mode benefiting from being connected at all times, but I think it also isn't necessarily needed, one can connect when he wants to get updates and new quests, though that wouldn't stop hackers...
On the other hand, this obligatory online mode takes away the possibility for you to play on a laptop, like I would do. I started playing PSO on my laptop, which cannot access internet, now have managed to make it run on this PC (win98), albeit with lowest specs possible. I was going to get a new laptop next year when I go abroad as an exchange student and was hoping to be able to play PSU there, but if it has to be connected to play, I probably won't be able to, since the family I'll stay with probably won't have broadband or any internet connection that allows being connected all day at a reasonable price.
Therefore I take this as bad news and hope it is changed in the EU version of the game.

Uncle_Pobatti
Mar 17, 2006, 02:34 PM
To be honest I was a bit gutted when I read the news to begin with, I still have my worries about possible negative implications...

I hope ST do the decent thing and at least allow Eu/NA players the ability to play offline without having to have an internet connection because then more people could play.

Thing is, it's all down to ST and at least I'm glad the news hit us now rather than the week before it's released - since it could well be something we have to live with we may as well at least try to look on the positive side http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

MXdude
Mar 17, 2006, 03:16 PM
And yet ST still has the talent of upsetting so many players http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Well, there goes my whole psu on the run with my laptop idea.

Uncle_Pobatti
Mar 17, 2006, 03:38 PM
Hm, let's see - positive slant for laptop folks?

Yeah I can see the predicament you people are in, and as I said before it would be way better to just allow everyone to play offline mode as they please.

Still, you may be able to play PSU eventually - even if you have to wait longer than the rest of us. Two folks with laptops within 2 posts of each other screams a whole cross section of the gaming community with the problem.

Supply and demand are linked, so the more vocal people are about this situation and the more demand there is, either Sega will release a patch for you folks at some point or someone will create one independantly.

I suppose this is a task for the one or two skilled hackers out there to gain some respect for once and do something decent and worthwhile that the rest of the offline community can also benefit from.

I'm just so angry that Sega appear to have targeted the game solely at people who have permanent internet access and ignored everyone else.

While I have a computer with an internet account I've gone through 3 different connections in 12 months (due to occasional financial hardship) which is gonna do nothing but cause disruption and problems when this game comes out http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Para
Mar 17, 2006, 03:43 PM
Hmm the requirement of Windows XP SP2 is interesting...
SP2 is one of those service packs which I think requires a legitimate Windows Installation.

Either way... I just upgraded my computer again today :3 PC3200 Dual Channel 1gb of ddr ram http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

VioletSkye
Mar 17, 2006, 03:54 PM
On 2006-03-17 12:43, Nites wrote:
SP2 is one of those service packs which I think requires a legitimate Windows Installation.

Either way... I just upgraded my computer again today :3 PC3200 Dual Channel 1gb of ddr ram http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

It only requires a legitimate windows install if you are trying to use Windows update to get it (and even then there are ways to do it.) All the newer pirated versions have SP2 already slipstreamed. Not to mention that numerous legit sites (including Microsoft.com) have current full SP2 downloads that do not require validation. And lastly factor in the "bypass" methods for getting official Windows updates for pirated versions of Windows directly from the Microsoft site and you realize getting SP2 installed is a piece of cake http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

**Note, Microsoft themselves released a tool that can be used to validate a pirated version of their software http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif **

Anyway, to stay on topic, I personally don't care if a constant connection is required (even on a laptop there are tons of hotspots with unsecured networks that you can use if you live in an area that is well populated and/or has numerous businesses.) I do think it is a mistake to require that connection for offline play however. So many of us have broadband connections that it may not seem like a big deal, but there are LOTS of people out there that still use dialup for their connection.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-03-17 13:08 ]</font>

Ryna
Mar 17, 2006, 04:04 PM

You can download a general purpose SP2 installation file here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

The one you get through Windows Update is smaller, but this one does exactly the same thing.

VioletSkye
Mar 17, 2006, 04:10 PM
On 2006-03-17 13:04, Ryna wrote:

You can download a general purpose SP2 installation file here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

The one you get through Windows Update is smaller, but this one does exactly the same thing.

Doh, you beat me to it lol. I was gonna link to a number of sites that have that same download including Microsoft.com http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sev
Mar 17, 2006, 08:08 PM
Well... Aside from Laptop gamers with no connection it won't affect to many other people it seems. I personally don't have a laptop... So it doesn't apply to me.

Whatever the reasons, it seems to be how it is for now. If it's to protect their game from Piracy, then I don't really blame 'em. If Piracy wasn't so widespread, then these measures wouldn't need to be taken. Getting upset at Sonic Team doesn't really solve the issue, when it's other people that ruin good things. And even with Sega's security problems, it people didn't find a way, it wouldn't happen. If someone's that intent on wrecking a game experience then it's bound to happen. Since people can't play correctly, things like this happen. We then get upset, and ask why no ones doing anything about it, despite the fact that they are. Even with duping and hacking being a problem... It's avoidable. They normally hang out in speciffic places and generally stay int that area. I know that when things got bad on DreamCast me and the people I played with simply stayed away from the main servers.

I don't have any loss of faith in Sonic Team for this. I don't blame them for most of the problems I ran into on versions of PSO. It's people playing who make these problems, not them. If everyone could learn to experience the game the way it was meant to be played, I guess this really wouldn't be an issue.

To me though, it feels like "I have to be home to play, so you laptop guys can be home too." even though that seems to sound assholish, it's the way I feel. Also, maybe it's a deterrent, like keeping people from playin PSU during lectures in classes. XD

ecchichuu
Mar 17, 2006, 08:29 PM
I couldn't care less about the requirement for a constant online connection.

I'm worried about the possibility of serious region protection. If they block both foreign OS and foreign IP addresses, that would be extremely annoying to get around.

I'm tempted to ask Miyoshi about the level of protection on his blog. But if he's not planning on enforcing harsh anti-foreigner protection then asking about it would just give him bad ideas.

physic
Mar 18, 2006, 12:05 AM
Well that could be a big reason, to block foriegn IPs, but I never really saw why they are region blocking heavy, money is money if you have to buy the game, and pay the monthly fee, whats the real reason for it? In regards to teh not blaming ST for the bad things that happened, yea its true people suck, but as the police/government/people running teh system, its your job to try and prevent it. If they develop systems that have huge holes and are easily hackable, with little correction, or no means of correcting teh game, that is primarily their fault. The online connection issue just rubs me wrong on many levels, first of all it seems to be a pc bias, it limits how i can play teh game, i was looking foward to doing offline on my laptop when i was away from my home rig. I also know people who have problems maintaining interent connections, or use dial up BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO CHOICE, there is simply a great many areas in teh US where this is no option for broadband level connections.

Now think about the times you played offline in pso, sometimes it was because the server was screwed up, or maybe just your connection was screwed up, this means when servers down, yup you cant do anything even play what they called offline mode.

It also seems like maybe they are changing their minds about even having an "offline" mode. having to always be connecetd smacks of goodbye offline. As someone said in another thread, could be that offline mode is becoming single player mode like psobb. A good question is what info are they gonna require for you to even get online.

Well the games not out yet, i hope this changes, especially for america, like i said broadband penetration in america is lightyears behind japan.

Inu_Shadi
Mar 18, 2006, 12:13 AM
I really hope this dosent happen for offline mode x.x my DSL connection constantly goes down... i would super hate this...

Ryna
Mar 18, 2006, 10:40 AM
I think the intention with the Internet Connection requirement is to dissuade the "casual cheater." With enough motivation, it'd be possible to create a proxy program that would send fake "ok" messages back to the server. However, it would take a lot of time and research to do that.

I think it would be best to wait for further details to be released about this mechanism before passing judgement on it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2006-03-18 07:48 ]</font>

Uncle_Pobatti
Mar 18, 2006, 12:23 PM
I think the SP2 requirement is gonna be annoying however - although it's easy enough to install (for those of us with Windows XP) there are a few reasons why many people have been avoiding the free upgrade like the plague for so long.

The main reason why some of us won't upgrade is that it actually reduces certain functionality within Windows. Those of us who are internet power users are particularly affected especially those on a high speed connection. What SP2 does is reduces the number of connections that Windows can make to the internet. That means, if you have several downloads going at once (in particular, P2P programs running) you would normally still be able to play online games/browse the web normally - yet with the SP2 restrictions it doesn't matter how much spare bandwidth you have you can't make any more connections than Windows lets you http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

This is a pain, since I suppose if your internet account is gonna have to be constantly active then it makes sense to at least have a few downloads going on in the background while you play.

There is a patch available to circumvent the connections limit in SP2 however there are many disclaimers that this could lead to Windows becoming unstable and/or crashing.

Just thought I'd put this info out there http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

VioletSkye
Mar 18, 2006, 12:35 PM
On 2006-03-18 09:23, Uncle_Pobatti wrote:
I think the SP2 requirement is gonna be annoying however - although it's easy enough to install (for those of us with Windows XP) there are a few reasons why many people have been avoiding the free upgrade like the plague for so long.

The main reason why some of us won't upgrade is that it actually reduces certain functionality within Windows. Those of us who are internet power users are particularly affected especially those on a high speed connection. What SP2 does is reduces the number of connections that Windows can make to the internet. That means, if you have several downloads going at once (in particular, P2P programs running) you would normally still be able to play online games/browse the web normally - yet with the SP2 restrictions it doesn't matter how much spare bandwidth you have you can't make any more connections than Windows lets you http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

This is a pain, since I suppose if your internet account is gonna have to be constantly active then it makes sense to at least have a few downloads going on in the background while you play.

There is a patch available to circumvent the connections limit in SP2 however there are many disclaimers that this could lead to Windows becoming unstable and/or crashing.

Just thought I'd put this info out there http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Just make a backup of your tcpip.sys file and if you notice instability replace the patched version with your original. You can also manually edit the tcpip.sys file if you have a hex editor:

1. Go to offset 4F322 hex (or 324386 decimal.)

2. Change 0a 00 00 00 to 00 00 0a 00

(Again, make sure to back up tcpip.sys before you do this.)

I personally have never had a problem with it and have not experienced any instability but use at your own risk.

Pseudo
Mar 18, 2006, 02:02 PM
I did just that, i was having trouble playing maple story after I installed service pack 2, I kept getting kicked out as it needed to make a new connection evertime I changed channels.

I just edited the system file and I've had no problems since with online connections.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pseudo on 2006-03-18 11:03 ]</font>

PhotonCat
Mar 18, 2006, 04:49 PM
The thing is, it is very stupid to make the game needed to be connected all the time just for piracy reasons.

It causes too much hassle for the "legit" player. There are ppl who cannot play online, or who have very slow connections. Also what is the point of having offline mode if you must have an internet connection ?

The game will STILL be pirated, piracy will and can never be stoped ever. Just think, ppl who only pirate games, do you think they will ever buy a game just cause they couldn't pirate it ? NO.

A simple thing would just be to pack every game with a CD-key and do it the old simple way.
To just be able to play "offline" mode online only is really rediculous.
I have no interest in offline mode myself, but I know there is a lot of ppl who do and take this news as great insult.

A2K
Mar 18, 2006, 06:24 PM
On 2006-03-18 13:49, PhotonCat wrote:
The thing is, it is very stupid to make the game needed to be connected all the time just for piracy reasons.

It causes too much hassle for the "legit" player. There are ppl who cannot play online, or who have very slow connections. Also what is the point of having offline mode if you must have an internet connection ?

The game will STILL be pirated, piracy will and can never be stoped ever. Just think, ppl who only pirate games, do you think they will ever buy a game just cause they couldn't pirate it ? NO.

A simple thing would just be to pack every game with a CD-key and do it the old simple way.
To just be able to play "offline" mode online only is really rediculous.
I have no interest in offline mode myself, but I know there is a lot of ppl who do and take this news as great insult.

The main reason is cheating and not so much piracy. Of course there will still be cheating and piracy--the idea is to make it so that not everyone and their grandmother can do it--as in, remove the convenience of it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-03-18 16:51 ]</font>

SpikeWT1
Mar 18, 2006, 07:40 PM
On 2006-03-18 09:35, VioletSkye wrote:

Just make a backup of your tcpip.sys file and if you notice instability replace the patched version with your original. You can also manually edit the tcpip.sys file if you have a hex editor:

1. Go to offset 4F322 hex (or 324386 decimal.)

2. Change 0a 00 00 00 to 00 00 0a 00

(Again, make sure to back up tcpip.sys before you do this.)

I personally have never had a problem with it and have not experienced any instability but use at your own risk.

I know this is off topic but do you know where I would find that specific file

The fact that I have to have a connection is going to kill me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SpikeWT1 on 2006-03-18 16:44 ]</font>

Pseudo
Mar 18, 2006, 08:38 PM
C:WINDOWS/system32/drivers for the original file.

C:WINDOWS/ServicePackFiles/ for the updated file once you download the pack.

It should be about 351kb large.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pseudo on 2006-03-18 17:39 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pseudo on 2006-03-18 17:42 ]</font>

Para
Mar 18, 2006, 09:29 PM
The SP2 requirement shouldn't be a big hassle.

I downloaded SP2 directly from Windows Update and I haven't had any problems with my computer really.

Link00seven
Mar 19, 2006, 03:28 PM
We better not have to have SP2...I don't like SP2. Gave my USB 2.0/Firewire card a hard time. Plus, I don't need Windows telling me how to keep my computer secure with their damn "security center". I know how to update my AV program...

VioletSkye
Mar 19, 2006, 03:39 PM
On 2006-03-19 12:28, Link00seven wrote:
We better not have to have SP2...I don't like SP2. Gave my USB 2.0/Firewire card a hard time. Plus, I don't need Windows telling me how to keep my computer secure with their damn "security center". I know how to update my AV program...

You can turn all that off. Open Security Center and click on CHANGE THE WAY SECURITY CENTER ALERTS ME, then uncheck everything. You won't have to worry about it popping up again. For FIREWALL and VIRUS PROTECTION click on RECOMMENDATIONS and check the box that says I HAVE.... (your own virus or firewall programs.)

Nai_Calus
Mar 20, 2006, 05:50 AM
It would indeed suck if it was broadband only, especially since we have none available in the current residence. We are moving soon, but it's just as remote as this place, and the closest thing to broadband is shitty over-priced 2Mbps max wireless that we may or may not be able to get depending on trees. (Supposedly we're near two towers, but that of course doesn't mean crap) Which also has a transfer limit per month which they charge you out the ass for if you go over it... So even if it's only sending a little data back and forth for the 'offline' mode... Yeah. No.

My big concern, though, is the same concern that turned me off PSOBB: Future playability. So what happens when they shut the servers down? If I could dig up a working Master System and a working cartridge, I could play the original version of the original Phantasy Star right now. If my memory card and gamecube hold up, ten years from now I can load up PSO Ep1&2 and run my FOmar through Ruins. If you have to be connected to the server even for 'offline' mode, and they shut the server down five years from now... You're not going to be able to play PSU in 10 years, even if your PC/PS2 still works. Sure, there will eventually be ways around that, but there will always be people who refuse to use them(Of which I wouldn't be one, heh) or simply aren't aware of them. It'd be pretty annoying to dig the PS2 and PSU out of the garage and want some quick nostalgia and not be able to get it...

Sev
Mar 20, 2006, 01:24 PM
Most of these concerns are things that we can only guess at. Sega of Europe and America should know about the limited ability to have Broadband connections in certain areas. And if not, their's always petittions. I would guess that this is a new addition as well, because before when the release date had no change, there was no mention of this. I'm thinking it something that they just determined.

If you really think it will affect you, then send some messages. If I remember correctly... We weren't getting PSO until a petition was started for it. One of my friends signed up for that petition, and we got PSO later. It's not like they completely ignore us. Ask you friends who are concerned about this, and try to get some feedback from Sega. This is alot more effective then being upset about it. Discussing helps, but taking action would help this type of situation alot more.

And about problems with servers and policing. You're right. When talking to a friend, it was basically said that suggestions would come up, but would lead to other problems so they really couldn't go about it. You could also point out that the harder you try to enforce the rules, the harder they'll try to break them.

Lord_DS
Mar 27, 2006, 06:12 PM
On 2006-03-16 08:58, Ryna wrote:
While looking up some PSU information yesterday, I came across some new PC requirements. The official Sega page is saying that you need the Japanese edition of Windows 2000 with SP4 or Windows XP with SP2. Also, your machine will always have to be connected to the Internet, even for offline gameplay. This is a security feature. The minimum requirements are still the same. You can see the sources for the new requirements on the front page.

I can't find where this info is, could you specify a link or where it is in the flash site? thank you

Ryna
Mar 27, 2006, 06:25 PM
On 2006-03-27 15:12, Lord_DS wrote:

On 2006-03-16 08:58, Ryna wrote:
You can see the sources for the new requirements on the front page.

I can't find where this info is, could you specify a link or where it is in the flash site? thank you

Here you go:
http://www.pso-world.com/article.php?sid=1479&mode=&order=0&thold=0

Saffran
Mar 28, 2006, 08:04 AM
I have a related question...

As we all know, Windows XP comes with all languages, and I installed my PC with japanese as a main language (german as second). However, all menus, explanations, etc come up in german. I don't mind, since it still recognizes a jp setup.exe when it opens one...

except the one for SP2.

So the million euros question is: how do I change that to jp? As in, FOR REAL?