PDA

View Full Version : PSU work on dial up?

xenokai
Mar 16, 2006, 07:15 PM
Ive been a PSO addict Since release on Dreamcast and i have played pso, psov2, Gamecube version, and pso bb for pc, and im really looking forward to PSU. But ive noticed it been saying Bradband connection which i can not get where i live because i live in the boonies and they dont offer it here >.< I was wondering if anyone knows if PSU will work on Dial up?
Pso Blue Burst seemed to and ive played FFXI easyly but please can anyone tell me if they know any news about it working on dial up?

VioletSkye
Mar 16, 2006, 07:24 PM
Noone knows. Only time will tell. As I have said in the past, even though I have an 8 mbps cable connection, I will also be testing it on a dialup connection and posting my results.

A2K
Mar 16, 2006, 07:25 PM
Well, PSOBB recommends that you have a broadband connection on, so I imagine PSU will be similar: It's best if you have a broadband connection, but you'll probably be able to play on dial-up anyway. At least on PC. PS2s do not have a dial-up modem, as far as I can tell.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-03-16 16:25 ]</font>

xenokai
Mar 16, 2006, 07:31 PM
Violte please email me when u get done testing it whenever. Btw ps2 has a dial up modem but it can restrict any game they want to ONLY use the BB But i can run it to my pc and share my Dial up connection threw my eithernet port like i do with my 360. But im really looking forward to this game and i do not wanna mis it. The gameplay is still real time none of that ffxi stuff is it? and any US release scheduled?

xenokai
Mar 16, 2006, 07:34 PM
BTW im wanting the PC version tho but will purchase the ps2 version since my friend plan to get the pc version only. i can use his disk to install it and use my account on my pc xD im pretty sure

THEMASTERG1
Mar 16, 2006, 08:36 PM
i doubt it. Who uses dial up anyways? lol

VioletSkye
Mar 16, 2006, 09:16 PM
On 2006-03-16 16:31, xenokai wrote:
Violte please email me at [email protected] when u get done testing it whenever. Btw ps2 has a dial up modem but it can restrict any game they want to ONLY use the BB But i can run it to my pc and share my Dial up connection threw my eithernet port like i do with my 360. But im really looking forward to this game and i do not wanna mis it. The gameplay is still real time none of that ffxi stuff is it? and any US release scheduled?

Well, I probably won't remember to send an email to you specifically, but I will post my results here (along with others) as to how well it plays over a dialup connection http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

OdinTyler
Mar 16, 2006, 09:20 PM
I'm going to have to say its broadband only. I mean none of us know for sure. Dialup people should be able to play. That's just fair to all. However, I say it will probably be broadband only for one reason: the lobbies. The fact that the GC lobbies alone are multi-floored & are boasting capacities of 100+ would put a heavy strain on a dialup user. If dialup could get on, there could be alot of disconnections. Idk if ST factored that in or not. However, should dialup be included, those on dialup must be prepared as such.

physic
Mar 16, 2006, 10:22 PM
well. i think it might work with dial up, but you will prolly have to go to abandoned lobbies and get in games as soon as possible. the downlaods probably wont be so bad since the maximum limit will be 8mb total due to ps2 connection. oh yeah and ffxi is real time strictly speaking, i assume you mean will you have more control over combat, and teh answer is yes.

xenokai
Mar 16, 2006, 11:12 PM
On 2006-03-16 19:22, physic wrote:
well. i think it might work with dial up, but you will prolly have to go to abandoned lobbies and get in games as soon as possible. the downlaods probably wont be so bad since the maximum limit will be 8mb total due to ps2 connection. oh yeah and ffxi is real time strictly speaking, i assume you mean will you have more control over combat, and teh answer is yes.

yea is it like the other pso's all real time? i figure it is but im sure the 100 people lobby isnt a prob for dial up ive been in over 500 player areas on ffxi and it ran it just my poor pc was slowing down lol

Uncle_Pobatti
Mar 17, 2006, 10:57 AM
I just hope that Sega make it obvious on the packaging that it requires continuous internet access, otherwise those folks on dial-up will really be hit hard!

Those sorts of folks tend to stay mainly offline, but like to occasionally (or perhaps frequently but less so than broadband folks) play online due to a mounting phone bill.

Imagine racking up a £600 phone bill just by playing the game offline http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

physic
Mar 17, 2006, 11:16 AM
the difference is ffxi was designed to be able to be played by dial up users, and thus they programed it to load people lst and involving distance etc. Hopefully even though they say broadband, they at least designed it with low connection speeds in mind.

xenokai
Mar 18, 2006, 02:53 PM
On 2006-03-17 08:16, physic wrote:
the difference is ffxi was designed to be able to be played by dial up users, and thus they programed it to load people lst and involving distance etc. Hopefully even though they say broadband, they at least designed it with low connection speeds in mind.

I hope it works on dial up im a BIG PSO fan =( ive delt with the hackers the dupes the cheats and i still managed to pay the monthly fee i hope sega atleast lets it run on dial up on pc =(

Russ2576
Mar 18, 2006, 06:32 PM
On 2006-03-16 16:25, A2K wrote:
Well, PSOBB recommends that you have a broadband connection on, so I imagine PSU will be similar: It's best if you have a broadband connection, but you'll probably be able to play on dial-up anyway. At least on PC. PS2s do not have a dial-up modem, as far as I can tell.

PS2 Network Adapters for the Fatboy have both Broadband and 56k ports built into them. Likewise, the Slim PS2 has those built-in to the back of it as well.

xenokai
Mar 18, 2006, 08:20 PM
On 2006-03-18 15:32, Russ2576 wrote:

PS2 Network Adapters for the Fatboy have both Broadband and 56k ports built into them. Likewise, the Slim PS2 has those built-in to the back of it as well.

yea But most games on ps2 are Broadband only they make it so u cant use ur dial up setup

Alisha
Mar 19, 2006, 01:43 AM
On 2006-03-18 17:20, xenokai wrote:

On 2006-03-18 15:32, Russ2576 wrote:

yea But most games on ps2 are Broadband only they make it so u cant use ur dial up setup

i think its a sham personally. either that or its related to the fact that broadband use its much more widespread in other countries than it is here in the US.wheras other countries dont have the practically free dial up that we have here in the us

Sgt_Shligger
Mar 19, 2006, 02:00 AM
I can predict EXACTLY what the PC wersion will say for the internet connection.

minimum requirments: 56k modem
recommended requirments: cable modem/DSL

They have done that for virtually every PC game that goes online.... unless you are talking about M.U.D.S. and telnet stuff which wasn't 3D but thats from the 90's.

Either way, dial-up should work but not well.

physic
Mar 19, 2006, 02:34 AM
you speak with fervor and you may be right that it will work but poorly, however your prediction im pretty sure is incorrect. fact is psobb doesnt even say 56k in its reqs and im pretty sure, although Im not gonna search this whole cite, that they said it would req broadband somewhere in minimum req
I mean, the official page says 256k for psobb alone.

Sgt_Shligger
Mar 19, 2006, 04:26 AM
you have a point but when i said 56k i was referring to most [i]bought pc games. I never played bb but if i look at a new game in a store, there is a 90% chance it says "56k" as the minimum.

butzopower
Mar 20, 2006, 06:08 PM
On 2006-03-18 23:00, SgtShligger wrote:
unless you are talking about M.U.D.S. and telnet stuff which wasn't 3D but thats from the 90's.

MUDs wouldn't have a period after the D or the S since it stands for Multi User Dungeons.

I can't imagine it not working on the PC. Even the DC BBA wasn't supported by ST, yet people could get online.

I would also find it hard to believe that ST would change the way they do networking for PSU, since it's still only a six player dungeon crawler.

Night_Raid
Mar 22, 2006, 06:22 AM
PSU on dial-up? i guess it is true, even the most secluded and remote areas have local crack dealers, i remember reading somewere that it said broadband was required, but like pretty much EVERY computer game i can imagine it having a 56k min, but then again there are select games that actually do require above dial up, Battle Feild 2, maybe 1 too, hell, not like i ever played it <_<