PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia

Blitzkommando
Mar 19, 2006, 11:43 PM
Damn, I hate that feeling but love it at the same time. It makes you feel like the days of yore were so much better, yet when you really hunker down and think about it you realize that they are hardly different than today.

Maybe it is just that we like thinking about the good things and forgetting the bad, but there is truly something... special about the past I suppose.

I suppose this isn't much of a rant, but I do hate the feeling of nostalgia that I randomly get while just going about things. Whether it brings back memories of where I have lived previously, or friends I haven't seen in years, it brings back joy and pain.

It is perhaps the strangest feeling in the world, close to hopelessness and yet close to pure hope. Nostalgia is impossible to describe, yet everyone has experienced it at least once. I wish it wouldn't come back, yet I wish I could feel it all the time.

Curses to the strangest, most confusing emotion of them all, nostalgia. But blessings to it as well, for bringing back memories that I otherwise would have forgotten.

EphekZ
Mar 19, 2006, 11:47 PM
Well, christmas. when I was younger it was a lot better(not for the presents) but when I think about it It seems so peaceful and maybe it's becuase there's a lot more people I celebrate with now, it seems so hectic(sp?)

I wish I could experience christmas like that again =/. I usually get a little depressed on christmas day too ._.

Atayin
Mar 19, 2006, 11:56 PM
On 2006-03-19 20:43, Norvekh wrote:
It is perhaps the strangest feeling in the world, close to hopelessness and yet close to pure hope. Nostalgia is impossible to describe, yet everyone has experienced it at least once. I wish it wouldn't come back, yet I wish I could feel it all the time.

Curses to the strangest, most confusing emotion of them all, nostalgia. But blessings to it as well, for bringing back memories that I otherwise would have forgotten.

Well said. My strongest nostalgic moments seem to be triggered by a smell or a song or a drink. I saw a photo of a crazy old roomate with a friend about a week ago and the nostalgia came rushing in.

It really is a bizzarre feeling.. I think it's probably because even our best memories are mixed with some sadness, either from regret.. or because we can't go back to live them out again. I always resent it, yet I wouldn't want to trade it for anything in the world.

Firocket1690
Mar 20, 2006, 12:17 AM
Odd thing, really.

Sometimes, certain songs can make me remember someone I held rather dear to me. It's rather frustrating too. Recently, I've been keeping a .. wouldn't say journal, but .. little legal pad to scribble down thoughts and imagery that comes to mind. You should try it too, it'll make you feel a lot better about remembering/forgetting whatever when you have a solid, clear drawn out image of it. Then again, there are some things we'd all wish we could forget.

Skorpius
Mar 20, 2006, 01:52 AM
It's like catching a clip of a movie you can't watch again.

"Whoomp, there it is!" >_>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2006-03-19 22:54 ]</font>