PDA

View Full Version : PSU on PC will be Dial Up compatible!! yes!!!

xenokai
Mar 22, 2006, 02:51 PM
I recently sent a email to sega department that handles pso stuff and here is how my email's went down......

Me: I was just Wondering if Phantasy Star Universe is going to be dial up compatible?

Sega: Are you planing to get the PC or the Playstation 2 version?

Me: I plan to buy the PC version.

Sega: It should be compatible with dial up service.

They asked me which version so i figured pc one would and ps2 wouldnt since most ps2 games are BB only. This is big news for me i still plan to get the ps2 version and use my friend pc disk to play it online on PC and ill Play the story on my ps2 xD. Great new's for me!!!

Ryna
Mar 22, 2006, 02:58 PM
On 2006-03-22 11:51, xenokai wrote:

I think you missed a keyword in that last statement. The word "should" indicates that the rep that you spoke to does not know for a fact that the game will be compatible with a dial-up service.

We'll probably have to wait for the game to be released before we can see whether broadband is actually a requirement or more of a suggestion.

Sev
Mar 22, 2006, 03:24 PM
It's a common thing used with Customer Service or Support... For the most part, you don't know everything about a product until it's time for it to go on sale. There is also the "Why wouldn't it work?" thought, and the fact that he asked speciffically for PC could be an indication that the rep does know something.

It's been said before, but most PC games don't have any type of connection requirement, hence this is most likely true.

They don't know for sure, but you would think that a fact such as connection, would be something that people would be told beforehand.

xenokai
Mar 22, 2006, 07:01 PM
On 2006-03-22 11:58, Ryna wrote:

On 2006-03-22 11:51, xenokai wrote:

I think you missed a keyword in that last statement. The word "should" indicates that the rep that you spoke to does not know for a fact that the game will be compatible with a dial-up service.

We'll probably have to wait for the game to be released before we can see whether broadband is actually a requirement or more of a suggestion.

Yea i knwo theres a chance but i just hope it is compatible and playable like ffxi and pso before it where im a big PSO fan since dc =(

ShinMaruku
Mar 23, 2006, 06:25 PM
I sure hope it's not dial up accessable. Kinda keeps down the lag. Escepically for fast as hell connections like mine

A2K
Mar 23, 2006, 06:41 PM
On 2006-03-23 15:25, ShinMaruku wrote:
I sure hope it's not dial up accessable. Kinda keeps down the lag. Escepically for fast as hell connections like mine

Depends on the netcode, I think. Since the game is going to be hosted on PSU's server a dial-up player in your party might be relatively a non-issue for you.

hypersaxon
Mar 23, 2006, 07:21 PM
I sure as hell hope not, I can just imagine the lag...

xenokai
Mar 23, 2006, 07:50 PM
On 2006-03-23 16:21, hypersaxon wrote:
I sure as hell hope not, I can just imagine the lag...

pso run perfectly with dial up hell bb wasnt even supported for pso on dc xD and since psu is just 6 players that is nothing compared to my huge raid on ffxi with 70 people around killing stuff!

lostinseganet
Mar 23, 2006, 08:43 PM
56k gamers is probally the reason this game is not above 6 players. I would prefer if we could make rooms adjust according to connection types. The more people the better coop.

therealAERO
Mar 23, 2006, 08:57 PM
Hey thats not very nice. I used to have dial up, and I would be really depressed if I was segregated from the Broad Band crowd just based on the connection I was using. Not everyone has the money for broad band. I do have broad band, but I just think that would be unfair to a lot of people.

A2K
Mar 23, 2006, 09:01 PM
On 2006-03-23 17:43, lostinseganet wrote:
56k gamers is probally the reason this game is not above 6 players. I would prefer if we could make rooms adjust according to connection types. The more people the better coop.

I doubt it. The game recommends a broadband connection. It's not as if they're going out of their way to support dial-up players. The six player limit is to maintain PSO-style "small squad" oriented gameplay.

ShinMaruku
Mar 23, 2006, 09:13 PM
In my area dial up and DSL(Mine still is $50, but mine is very fast so I care not) are both $15 XD

physic
Mar 23, 2006, 10:18 PM
like others said, 56kers = lag is not really a given, depending how you program teh game, usually a dial up persons lag will not effect anyone but them.

Blitzkommando
Mar 23, 2006, 11:56 PM
It's not so much the speed of the 56k users as much as the latency. Generally it is true that a game like this won't be piping in and out too much data. The problem is the latency that occurs with dialup. Nothing is worse than a person connecting with a 2000ms response rate with the server. However, latency is not just dialup as broadband users can also have high latency. Especially when on the very edges of a wireless network. If anything, I hope there is some feature to vote off high latency users from a party. There are a whole slew of reasons I like the idea, but it basically comes down to fairness for both parties when involving experience as well as item distribution.

Russ2576
Mar 24, 2006, 04:32 AM
Wow, just a few selfish people in here. You people need to remember that broadband isn't widely available everywhere yet. I have a friend that has the financial means to get BB, and would in a heartbeat if he could, but guess what? He can't because his home is out of the coverage range of the only BB provider in his town, and said provider is taking their sweet ass time expanding it. So it's either move(out of the question), or stick with 56k, which is better than nothing.

And you know what? I play City of Heroes/Villains with him and the rest our friends all the time, and his connection speed does not affect the rest of us in any way, shape, or form. Just the occasional disconnect, that's about it. It doesn't even affect how he plays either, it plays just as fast as it does with the rest of us. And he even plays with his graphics settings on Medium. He could probably play with it higher, but he'd need a better video card first.

I look forward to playing with him on PSU too, 56k connection and all.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Russ2576 on 2006-03-24 01:33 ]</font>

Sev
Mar 24, 2006, 12:49 PM
Well, lag kills... And it hits everywhere. Even on PSO though, those who had bad connections were apparent, and they didn't seem to harm the rest of the part too much. Although in other locations you can get easy access to broadband, some people are still stuck on 56k. I don't mind playing with 'em, and I don't think that it'll be that bad.

Seperating Dial-Up and Broadband is too much... And they should have some statistics on just how many people in America are still using Dial-Up. I don't know how much this applies to European countries. I do know that it took 2 years to get Broadband in some of the boondock areas around here, so I don't see the point of restricting it.

Anyone who's willing to pay the fee to play online, will most likely be accomodated. That's what I think.