PDA

View Full Version : Could this be the reason for PSU's delay?

PhotonCat
Mar 22, 2006, 03:09 PM
Taken from the-magicbox.com:

"-Rumor from Japan stated that Yuji Naka is planning to leave Sega and setup his own development studio. Yuji Naka is the head of Sonic Team, his works include Sonic the Hedgehog, Phantasy Star Online and NiGHTs."

I found that a bit interesting, even though there is no way to prove it is true or not. Just that PSU keeps getting delayed and then you hear this.

Ryna
Mar 22, 2006, 03:12 PM
That is a possible contributing reason. The official reason for the delay is that Sonic Team wanted to improve the stability of the Online Mode and add more content to the game. It is also likely that the release date for FF12 played a role in the decision to delay the game.

BORBAN
Mar 22, 2006, 03:43 PM
Does this mean there might not be a next release say Phantasy Star Galaxies?

Ryna
Mar 22, 2006, 03:45 PM
On 2006-03-22 12:43, BORBAN wrote:

I do not understand your question. Are you suggesting that Phantasy Star Universe may not be released?

BORBAN
Mar 22, 2006, 03:53 PM
Oh no that after PSU there might not be another that's all.

fumatanera
Mar 22, 2006, 03:54 PM
On 2006-03-22 12:43, BORBAN wrote:

maybe he is talking about Naka leaving so there won't be any other titles after PSU, i.e. PS:Galaxies

Ryna
Mar 22, 2006, 03:57 PM
On 2006-03-22 12:53, BORBAN wrote:
Oh no that after PSU there might not be another that's all.

I think that will depend on who owns the rights to Phantasy Star Universe and how well the game sells.

BORBAN
Mar 22, 2006, 04:02 PM
I want there to be a new release really bad and I haven't even play this one.

Sev
Mar 22, 2006, 04:40 PM
As long as it's a rumor, then it really doesn't matter...

I doubt that this would be the reason behind the delay... Moreso it would be taking extra security measures and making sure the servers are stable as previously stated. In my mind, the game itself is finished already.

scott1114
Mar 22, 2006, 05:01 PM
I've thought about it alot and I was thinking of a possibility of simultaneous USA, Japan, and Europe release date, in fact, a game with language option such as PSO. What do you think?

BORBAN
Mar 22, 2006, 05:06 PM
A language option would be a great idea.

scott1114
Mar 22, 2006, 05:55 PM
Yeah so they could release the US version like 1 month after the japanese one, that's all I want. Been waiting for this game till E3 2004.....

Sev
Mar 22, 2006, 06:04 PM
A language option is all that I'd need really. I don't need to particularly hear the voice acting in my own language. Just as long as I can play the game and read the text, I'm fine with everything.

scott1114
Mar 22, 2006, 06:34 PM
Me too, and besides, it would save lots of money to Sonic Team, they wouldn't need to pay actors, but this is mostly something they can't risk, people got used to hearing voices, and I know many who would cry without voices...

A2K
Mar 22, 2006, 07:09 PM
On 2006-03-22 15:34, scott1114 wrote:
Me too, and besides, it would save lots of money to Sonic Team, they wouldn't need to pay actors, but this is mostly something they can't risk, people got used to hearing voices, and I know many who would cry without voices...

Well, they could just leave the Japanese voices in.

But they won't.

They'll likely put English voices in their place, in order to maximize the game's appeal. Will there be a Japanese voice setting, though, I wonder? As far as I know no 3D RPG (I've seen a few 2D ones like Disgaea, I believe) has offered the option for it, but Sonic Team has a history of releasing multi-lingual games.

Hmm, I can actually think of a few English voice actors I'd like to hear coming out of the characters...

voxie
Mar 22, 2006, 07:45 PM
Hmm... Knowing the amount of hype following 'Universe, I think SOA would definitely give English voiceovers the green light. Whether we like it or not :/ A dual voice language option would rock even more. They've done that with the Sonic Adventure games so... u nevah knoo!

physic
Mar 22, 2006, 11:00 PM
i dont think yuji leaving matters much in terms of psu, the game has to be almost or near finished. also on this game it seems someone else was responsible for most of the actual putting teh game together, and yujio served more as a director, approving.disproving and nudiging the product.

Trinkster
Apr 2, 2006, 08:12 PM
Just in case anyone wants to know, I called EB Games today about PSU's due date and they reported that it was changed to 0ctober. So I'm not sure what to think. I'm just like why hold it any longer I mean do you really think anyone cares if we have English voices, I take in what the characters have to say better when i read it off of the screen anyway.

OdinTyler
Apr 2, 2006, 10:14 PM
Since we're on the subject of voices, I wonder if this would apply to our created characters. I wouldn't mind the option of having my char speak in English & Japanese if only a few words used in battle or what not. My main (being Japanese), it would fit her.

PrinceBrightstar
Apr 3, 2006, 04:49 AM
I really hope Naka doesn't pull the plug on PSU if he is leaving.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2006-04-03 05:44 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Apr 3, 2006, 02:55 PM
Yuji Naka can't pull the plug on PSU... he has absolutely no rights to the game. Sega owns all copyrights, so in a worst case scenario - the next PS series may just end up being developed by another internal Sega Studio. If Sonic Team doesn't do it - then I'd hinge my bets on WowWorks developing the next title. After all, they are Sega's primary RPG development studio - and both Reiko Kodama and Tohru Yoshida who created the original series work there.

So honestly, this is good news as far as I'm concerned since it means that there's a greater chance of Pheonix and Yoshibon working on the next PS project.

As for Yuji Naka himself, I can't say I'm sorry to see him leave. He was a great developer at one time - but he's gone completely insane since the death of the Dreamcast and hasn't really put out a stellar title since NiGHTS. Not to mention that it's not like he's going to be leaving Sega totally. The new development house he's going to will most likely still publish their games through Sega. I'd be much more upset at seeing Yu Suzuki leave.

BORBAN
Apr 3, 2006, 03:29 PM
I can't say I'm happy to see him leave, but if it doesn't mean the death of Phantasy Star. Then it's okay if someone will pick up from where he left off as long as they don't screw it up.

GaijinPUnch
Apr 4, 2006, 06:11 PM
Phantasy Star is Sega's. Not Naka's. He's really done absolutely nothing good since PSO 5 years ago as far as I'm concerned. Good riddance. It's also not like he has a huge direct hand in anything these days. Plenty of other people that could do a better job.