PDA

View Full Version : PSO's offline seems better than PSU's

maoZedong
Mar 22, 2006, 07:37 PM
well, I read some offline FAQ's on here

I know right now that I am not going to pay $10 a month for online (which may sound dumb to even buy an online game just for offline, but I have better things to spend money on)...I always play offline PSO with my step brothers and it's killer

after reading, the PSU's offline mode sounds like it's going to suck!!!

-no multiplayer...common...
-you can't custom create your offline character (stuck with Ethan)...except for extra mode...
-anytihng you do on offline won't benefit your online guy (not that I'll have online anyways but still)...what if I want to level up my guy when I'm home, and then if I play with people, all my progress will actually count...(this would be good because you wouldn't have to make all you progress ONline...)

maybe this is one of their provisions...I HOPE...I was hoping for another good multiplayer offline game

voxie
Mar 22, 2006, 07:50 PM
I didn't mind multiplayer mode on Ep1&2. But the teeny screen and mildly bad camera got annoying,,,

maoZedong
Mar 22, 2006, 08:09 PM
yeah, but face it...it would be killer with HD or with a projector...I would die for some offline multiplayer...

A2K
Mar 22, 2006, 08:18 PM
Server-side, online-only characters is a godsend. They should have gone that route earlier, if you ask me. Would have saved a lot of heartache when it came to cheating and character corruptions.

"No offline multiplayer" is a narrow argument, at best. Phantasy Star Universe's Story Mode has a lot to offer.

_Tek_
Mar 22, 2006, 08:34 PM
to me psu offline would be better than pso offline since i couldn't stand playing pso offline for long.

in psu offline i'd have a good story to enjoy, rather than rare hunting slowly on my own with pso offline.

OdinTyler
Mar 22, 2006, 08:39 PM
Not to mention you'll have at least one other person with you on your journey. It wont just be occasional 'help' from someone on a quest. It's more like the older PS games where you had a standard party. If anything, its long overdue for PS to truly go back to its roots. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Saraphim
Mar 22, 2006, 08:45 PM
Offline sounds good to me, but I will mostly only play it if the servers are down. I think that PSU's actual story line (with voice acting to boot) is a HUGE leap from PSO's rather thin plot. But then again, who plays PSO for the storyline anyway http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

maoZedong
Mar 22, 2006, 08:51 PM
true the story line will be fun and all...I just wish I had a way to play with my friends for free lol...I'm the kind of person who plays for a week for many hours so paying for online all the time would be a waste

maybe they could do different payment methods...like paying for straight up hours, because then it will be like a pike pass where you pay for what you use...to some that's beneficial and to others it's not...plus that way you could drop it for 2 months and then come back online and it would all be new again...that's how I roll...just a thought though...

Sev
Mar 23, 2006, 12:19 AM
There's been no mention of Multiplayer, and I'd actually like to do it offline too... But I don't need to. Since I'll be online, and everyone that I'd play with will be too.

Maybe they'll surprise some people and throw it in there last minute. Or maybe I'm wrong like I normally am.

butzopower
Mar 23, 2006, 12:43 AM
Why must you be online to play the game offline? If your offline character was the same as your online, that'd make sense, but it's not.

Is that just PC or is PS2 going to be like that, too?

Also, remember that PSO was single player offline on the DC. The GC could handle 4 players (at a healthy 15 FPS...) since it was more powerful. PSU will probably use most of the PS2's power just to run the game single player.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: butzopower on 2006-03-22 21:46 ]</font>

voxie
Mar 23, 2006, 05:39 AM
On 2006-03-22 21:43, butzopower wrote:
Why must you be online to play the game offline? If your offline character was the same as your online, that'd make sense, but it's not.

I think this is just the way their keeping things 'legit'? who knows :/ And yeah, if it's the same with the PC with PS2, my, that'll be weird, as I don't imagine PS2 being an 'always online' machine!

GuitarHero
Mar 23, 2006, 08:37 AM
Well, first off yea, PSO's offline mode sucked , the quests were repetitive and annoying, and yea the multiplayer was fun for a while. But then it gets old...fast (Unless you have constant access to friends ) I think it's a good idea that the offline characters are not connected to the online characters.And I'm willing to pay 10$ a month since it's a small fee.

Saiffy
Mar 23, 2006, 08:45 AM
On 2006-03-23 02:39, voxie wrote:

On 2006-03-22 21:43, butzopower wrote:

I think this is just the way their keeping things 'legit'? who knows :/ And yeah, if it's the same with the PC with PS2, my, that'll be weird, as I don't imagine PS2 being an 'always online' machine!

But PS2 isn't Windows either.

Meaning you can't run programs that could mess around with the game data.

Sev
Mar 23, 2006, 12:43 PM
I'm gonna take a risk and guess that the Online to be Offline is PC only. I don't think they'll make PS2 players be connected, and I hope that's at least the case. Well... While being online to play offline seems strange, it's just how it is. It'll turn off some potential players but at the same time it might keep pirating down a bit and curve some cheating. You can only hope right? Anyway, although we've heard some things we don't know how the US release will be handled so maybe things will change.

Doing multiplayer is fine... But I think what's been said is right, it could possibly be too taxing on the PS2. For God's sake... It lags down on Final Fantasy 6 for PS1. Hangs up on Shining Tears too... Maybe it just hates 2D? It's not exactly a towering power house. Well, I can't say anything for sure though since I don't know much about this stuff.

I'm looking forward to trying Extra Mode though and seeing how they go through with the story.

BORBAN
Mar 23, 2006, 04:08 PM
You got some really valid points. I wish they made it on multiplayer then it would be one of the best games ever. If it already isn't.

BORBAN
Mar 23, 2006, 04:10 PM
I would definately like to play with the other people in my neighborhood on this new one but that doesn't seem likely.

Dre_o
Mar 23, 2006, 04:49 PM
All I have to say is PSU's offline single player is looking to kick the a$$ of PSO, but we will have to wait and see (umpteen billionth time that's been said http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif )

maoZedong
Mar 23, 2006, 04:54 PM
If the PS2 can't handle it very well, then they should definitely make it for X-Box 360

another thing is...suppose they made it for the 360...would you have to only pay for "X-Box live" or would you still have to pay the "PSU fee", or both

on the extra mode, you get to make your own totally custom character right?...if so, then they should allow you to play that single player character that you're leveling up on extra mode for online mode too...of course people would still hack items...but extra mode just sounds like PSO single player offline mode with a plot...maybe they had to change for some reason though

if I did give in and pay the online fee, then I would definitely want a way to play by myself offline with my online character...I have never played online, and my memory card for gamecube stands with 95 humar, 43 racast, 39 fonewm, and the new 45 ramar (named "nickel uzis") hehe...the point is, offline is entertaining enough for me haha...maybe when I play online for the first time I will never be able to go back lol...I know my dudes aren't all that great, but I don't really have all that much time to play, which is why I'm not to eager to pay the online fee...

A2K
Mar 23, 2006, 04:58 PM
If the Xbox 360 version uses the same servers as the PC and Playstation 2 versions--as the upcoming version of FFXI for Xbox 360 will--then you won't have to pay for Xbox Live Gold in order to play Phantasy Star Universe.

fumatanera
Mar 23, 2006, 05:01 PM
On 2006-03-23 13:54, maoZedong wrote:
If the PS2 can't handle it very well, then they should definitely make it for X-Box 360

another thing is...suppose they made it for the 360...would you have to only pay for "X-Box live" or would you still have to pay the "PSU fee", or both

on the extra mode, you get to make your own totally custom character right?...if so, then they should allow you to play that single player character that you're leveling up on extra mode for online mode too...of course people would still hack items...but extra mode just sounds like PSO single player offline mode with a plot...maybe they had to change for some reason though

if I did give in and pay the online fee, then I would definitely want a way to play by myself offline with my online character...I have never played online, and my memory card for gamecube stands with 95 humar, 43 racast, 39 fonewm, and the new 45 ramar (named "nickel uzis") hehe...the point is, offline is entertaining enough for me haha...maybe when I play online for the first time I will never be able to go back lol...I know my dudes aren't all that great, but I don't really have all that much time to play, which is why I'm not to eager to pay the online fee...

tis true, once you play online you will never want to go back. and in the case of PSU it doesn't matter becuase there is no offline with your online char.

just try it online for a month, if you don;t like it cancel your account. if you don;t have much time to play online, you will sell your soul for as much as you can get

*feels a pit of emptiness deep inside*

TheWildJoker
Mar 23, 2006, 06:23 PM
ok but you arent realizing that this game psu is an MMORPG ( means its ment for online)its not really gonna compare to offline mode. online mood has many extras and lots and lots of ppl to play with . so im willin to pay 10 a month for this game. especially since ive been w8n for this game for more than a year.

A2K
Mar 23, 2006, 06:39 PM
On 2006-03-23 15:23, TheWildJoker wrote:
ok but you arent realizing that this game psu is an MMORPG ( means its ment for online)its not really gonna compare to offline mode. online mood has many extras and lots and lots of ppl to play with . so im willin to pay 10 a month for this game. especially since ive been w8n for this game for more than a year.

Not so much, actually. While that might have been true for PSO, Sonic Team has appeared to go above and beyond in PSU's offline story mode. I suppose you could say that the game has a more equal... duality between offline and online.

TheFluffiest
Mar 24, 2006, 06:15 AM
Here's a question... Is it just me, or does this 'Extra Mode' we've heard about just scream the potential for an offline multiplayer? ... I mean, I'm happy with it either way, considering my access to friends is... limited at best, and I'm absolutely salivating over a Phantasy Star game that has, yanno... plot, and is actually LIKE a Phantasy Star game... Yeah. And the online mode is for the win. Ah well, just a thought, the extra mode seems a little excessive otherwise... And it would make people like the original poster rather thrilled.

...now if only there were word on those slicers...

Sev
Mar 24, 2006, 12:26 PM
From what I gather... Which by the way isn't too much...

Extra Mode functions like this.

For those people who want to play offline with their own character and not as Ethan, they've created Extra Mode. This gives you the ability to create your own character, and adventure offline with it, along with Ethan and other characters you've met throughout the game. During play through the story, you will run into characters and exchange Friends Cards... Basically like Guild Cards. When you get a characters card, you get the ability to play with that character in Extra Mode. And as you complete the main story, you unlock areas for Extra Mode.

Well... At least I think that's right.

Whether or not Multiplayer could be incorporated there remains to be seen. To be honest, I never looked for mention of it, but I don't think I've heard that it wouldn't be included. Wouldn't box art work though? Don't they normally have it listed there whether it will be Multiplayer or Singleplayer? Or have I not seen a box in a long time...

scott1114
Mar 26, 2006, 02:52 PM
If they're making connection required for ps2 THAT WILL SUCK. If they do i prefer boosting my computer than getting it on ps2, but hopefully they won't and most people who get it on ps2 will stay offline

echo-2003
Mar 26, 2006, 09:54 PM
I can't wait for PSU's offline modes. I didn't use multiplayer too much though it was ok but I like having the whole screen to myself http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif.

Still, I agree about the server side saving, sure it helps against cheating and what not but what happens when Sega/Sonic team shuts down and the servers get turned off?

You think you were pissed when your lvl200 character after 3000 hours got erased was bad? Wait till it simply gets turned off.

Thats what I liked about PSO cheating or no, My character was with ME where he/she is suppose to be even long after said company who produced said game is long gone, I can still continue on playing and thats important.

Still, I look forward to playing online even if just for a few months, I never exp. being one of the first in an online community but I predict I will be playing offline story mode and extra mode a heck of a lot more.

maoZedong
Mar 26, 2006, 10:50 PM
well, whatever the outcome, until fall, it will still only remain a phantasy (totally a pun intended)

therealAERO
Mar 27, 2006, 12:18 AM
On 2006-03-23 13:54, maoZedong wrote:

If you want to play alone online than just start a room and lock it. Thats what I did a lot of the time. The EXP online is much higher than offline. Atleast thats how it was in blue burst.

voxie
Mar 27, 2006, 11:34 AM
On 2006-03-22 17:18, A2K wrote:
Server-side, online-only characters is a godsend. They should have gone that route earlier, if you ask me. Would have saved a lot of heartache when it came to cheating and character corruptions.

"No offline multiplayer" is a narrow argument, at best. Phantasy Star Universe's Story Mode has a lot to offer.

I totally agree with this. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif I think it's the way to go.

Sev
Mar 27, 2006, 12:59 PM
How many other games that used Server Side saving have shut down so far?

I've never heard of any myself. Even games like Ultima and Diablo are still online right?

Even still... What you're talking about is quite far down the road... If these games are still alive online... What makes you think it's completely impossible for this game? If you really don't like the fact that the online character might be removed, then stick to Extra Mode and Story Mode. That's it. It's kinda strange to here someone talking about when the servers get shutdown before the games even released.

Right now, I don't have a problem with anything. Especially since we don't know how everythings gonna go. I know for a fact that previously in FFXI, if you quit for 3 months without renewing your account your chracter went Bye Bye and you just dealt with it.

maoZedong
Mar 27, 2006, 06:33 PM
wow, it would suck to lose a character...all those hours and stuff...whatever...it will be totally awesome...the more I think about it, the more I am planning on paying the ridiculaous online fee...I am just sad that it comes out in fall...I want to play it during the summer before school...(senior year of HS = lots of h/w...and no pso) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Sev
Mar 28, 2006, 12:57 PM
The fee's won't be that bad. It'll at least be cheaper then other games.

For instance...

FFXI is $12, then something like $.75 for every character added.

City of Heroes is $15

Lineage 2 is $15

World of Warcraft is $15

Dunno how much some of the others are. These are of course... Games that I've played. I guess having a job gives me the means to do so but... From my understanding PSU is supposed to be cheaper then this. From my understanding... A very... Limited understanding...

So looking at it from that point of view. It's not so bad. Of course... Free is better, but I don't even expect that anymore. Guild War's is free, and I'd rather pay for a different game monthly heh...

maoZedong
Mar 28, 2006, 08:00 PM
yeah it's supposed to be cheaper I believe...I'm getting a summer job anyways to modify my subaru for the track...I'll have some extra to pay the fee...

comparitively you're right though, good deal...

Spellbinder
Mar 29, 2006, 01:38 AM
On 2006-03-28 17:00, maoZedong wrote:
yeah it's supposed to be cheaper I believe...I'm getting a summer job anyways to modify my subaru for the track...I'll have some extra to pay the fee...

Not to go too far off topic, I just thought I'd point out the only reason City of Heroe's $15 a month was reasonable to me when I played is because you can make about 8 characters... and there are 11 servers... so you can make 88 characters XD.

Anywho, from what I read on the prices (in Yen) this game's fee looks like a very nice deal.

fumatanera
Mar 29, 2006, 08:56 AM
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fumatanera on 2006-03-29 11:00 ]</font>

fumatanera
On 2006-03-27 15:33, maoZedong wrote:
wow, it would suck to lose a character...all those hours and stuff...whatever...it will be totally awesome...the more I think about it, the more I am planning on paying the ridiculaous online fee...I am just sad that it comes out in fall...I want to play it during the summer before school...(senior year of HS = lots of h/w...and no pso) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

lol you're sooo not going to finish any homework

fumatanera
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fumatanera on 2006-03-29 13:28 ]</font>

Sev
Mar 29, 2006, 12:38 PM
On 2006-03-28 22:38, Spellbinder wrote:

On 2006-03-28 17:00, maoZedong wrote:

Not to go too far off topic, I just thought I'd point out the only reason City of Heroe's $15 a month was reasonable to me when I played is because you can make about 8 characters... and there are 11 servers... so you can make 88 characters XD.

Anywho, from what I read on the prices (in Yen) this game's fee looks like a very nice deal.

You can point that out as well. From what we've seen, you can only have a max of 4 characters on your account. That's a downside, because alot of people love to play around with the character creator in games.

The thing is though... Even though you have the ability to make 88 characters, you'll only create characters for the sake of doing so, and you won't play most of them for more then an hour. You also, have various power sets, archetypes, and origins to choose from in CoH which makes that amount of characters to choose from almost neccessary. Since PSU eliminates this somewhat, by allowing you to raise your character into the type that you want, you cut down on some of it. 4 is still limited, but I won't have a problem dealing with it myself.

The only thing with CoH/CoV is, if you compare it to the ammount of characters you can make on WoW, it probably has very little. Honestly though, CoH/CoV's character creator is alot better then WoW's, and I couldn't see why you would make so many characters on WoW anyway.

All in all, the fee for PSU will be worth it. It'll def be worth it. And I'll be sure to get my money out of it.